• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you be okay with Dr. Doom ruling over our currently world.

• Yes

Votes: 94 55.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 44.7%

• Total voters

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
4Qum6Yy.jpeg

Non comic reader, so I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I thought the comic book heads here might give a good answer. Saw this on imgur and they make a compelling argument:

As the world hasn't got its shit together, I am for the third year in a row asking for your support:

- 60 years of leadership experience
- genius scientist and sorcerer
- Latveria: safe, rich, universal healthcare
- not a racist: all are equally beneath Doom
- saved the world several times and will again
- doesn't whine about wearing a mask

Sounds good on paper, but I don't really know much about him besides his damn horn and hidden missles. Am I being led astray?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
He's an authoritarian dictator. Sure you're taken care of materially, but god forbid you speak out when he does something fucked up.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He's a fascist leader of a vanity state. The only difference between him and Donald Trump is that Doom sometimes succeeds at some of his plans.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
He's an authoritarian dictator. Sure you're taken care of materially, but god forbid you speak out.

DOOM does not require you to speak out for the most part, if everyone serves him then we all good probably.

I'd take DOOM over the current UK conservative government in all honesty.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
He at least demands that children get a good nights sleep. And he likes David Bowie so he's alright in my book.

UXndm4FXLNMtwqbjxZhb8B.jpg

OP
OP
Ferrio

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
He's an authoritarian dictator. Sure you're taken care of materially, but god forbid you speak out when he does something fucked up.

For lots of people in the world they already do, so this might be an improvement? Don't keep this American/Euro centric, makes the decision more difficult if you don't.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
DOOM does not require you to speak out for the most part, if everyone serves him then we all good probably.

I'd take DOOM over the current UK conservative government in all honesty.

For lots of people in the world they already do, so this might be an improvement? Don't keep this American/Euro centric, makes the decision more difficult if you don't.
Guys, he's a fascist. Dude is Musolini with an iron mask.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, he's a fascist. Dude is Musolini with an iron mask.

But Dubs, he doesn't discriminate between all the people he considers beneath him and unworthy of full civil rights! That's better right? RIGHT?

It's like saying "I'm not racist, I'm a misanthrope because I hate everybody equally". It's not as big of a step up as y'all are making it sound like. Dude's still a fascist who has zero qualms with murdering anyone he doesn't like.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
But Dubs, he doesn't discriminate between all the people he considers beneath him and unworthy of full civil rights! That's better right? RIGHT?

It's like saying "I'm not racist, I'm a misanthrope because I hate everybody equally". It's not as big of a step up as y'all are making it sound like. Dude's still a fascist who has zero qualms with murdering anyone he doesn't like.
Not gonna lie, in recent years I get the feeling the issue some people have with fascism isn't the fascism itself but the people selling it.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it would work. Once in a while you blackmail him with his mother's ghost to keep him from being too much of a dickhead and you're golden.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
as a non-comic reader MCU fan that's waiting for Doom to show up, what do you mean by sorcerer? he's like Strange?

Doom likes magic a lot. I'm sure in at least one universe he's been the Sorcerer Supreme.

Think of it this way: Doom is a bullshit character in that he is good at literally everything and anything you can think of except getting over his hate boner for Reed Richards.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Doom likes magic a lot. I'm sure in at least one universe he's been the Sorcerer Supreme.

Think of it this way: Doom is a bullshit character in that he is good at literally everything and anything you can think of except getting over his hate boner for Reed Richards.
Reed also keeps outsmarting him, which probably doesn't help things.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's a capital-A authoritarian, with no real regards for human rights or decency. Like, he instigated a massacre of various dignitaries and media personalities because Johnny Storm cucked him and he didn't want to look bad on camera.

aoThCeX.png

Not a guy I'd trust with levers of power.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil

lol thanks, can't wait for MCU F4 that will probably please comic readers way more than that Fox bullshit

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Comic-era, would you let Jughead guard your all-you-can-eat buffet?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
So in the real world he would age and die, right. Or be assassinated. Bc part of the problem with dictatorships is the cruel, warped and incompetent person who's next in line.

Also in Latveria Doom can come into your house and take your whole family on a whim and there's nothing you can do about it. Dictatorships are bad yall. I know democracy is in pretty rough shape but...come on that is not preferable lol.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
This made me think of the recent polls in Arab countries where the people are falling out of love with democracy. They just want shit to work and to have food in their stomachs, it's not that they specifically want authoritarianism but for them the best form of government is whatever can make that happen.

www.bbc.com

Arabs believe economy is weak under democracy

People are losing faith in democracy to deliver economic stability across Middle East and North Africa, according to a major new survey.

Someone who's very insecure in their basic material needs would probably the first to jump right in with Doom, if you're living a more relatively comfortable life you probably care more about freedom and self-expression which Doom would clamp down on if he doesn't find it acceptable.

With his science and magic he has the means to actually make good on promises like taking care of all your material needs unlike every other dictator, as long you fall in line and curse Reed Richards name during the daily mandatory national anthem.

Dec 30, 2020
I keep thinking of how he was in DOOM 2099 and... yeah, that guy was a pretty terrific leader.

Also I can only imagine DOOM would be absolutely fine with any and all LGBTQ+ people.

"DOOM IS NOT CONCERNED WITH YOUR PETTY GENDERS, DO AS YOU WILL WITH THEM."

"Oh my god... even though he's screaming at us from a spiked throne that's actually more progressive than my local congressman..."

That's the real question. If you support DOOM and do as he says... does he support human rights and equality? I'm recalling some writers have him as a genuinely GOOD ruler of Latveria, while some have him as a cruel dictator.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Doom showed up to conquer the world, I don't think I could stop him. I'm no Reed Richards.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Look, if DOOM provides for his people and requires nothing more than a "Praise be unto DOOM" on occasion, it sounds like a good deal to me.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Doom is an authoritian dictator who, while benevolent, literally named the capital after himself.

Yes the people's bellies are full, and they are healthy. But their spirits are dead.

Doom literally will kill anyone who works for him for telling him he's wrong, or what he asks for is not possible.

He could be a great leader, but not until he let's go of his ego.

Edit - and that's not even going into the fact that his plan for his death is to literally overwrite his heir's mind with his.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Doom is an authoritian dictator who, while benevolent, literally named the capital after himself.

Yes the people's bellies are full, and they are healthy. But their spirits are dead.

Doom literally will kill anyone who works for him for telling him he's wrong, or what he asks for is not possible.

He could be a great leader, but not until he let's go of his ego.

Edit - and that's not even going into the fact that his plan for his death is to literally overwrite his heir's mind with his.

It's funny because this is the non Republican version of "I'll vote for the devil if it gets me what's most important to me"

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
The best version of Doom is a guy who would be a great ruler of the world, as long as the world did exactly what he tells it to do. Just straight up, someone who is almost as good at anything as the best person in the world, almost as good as Tony Stark in Tony Stark stuff, almost as good as Dr Strange in magic stuff, same belief in being right as Cap. America, etc.

But that dude thinks there's like 2 people in the world who deserve to have an opinion, and that's when he's feeling very democratic.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The best version of Doom is a guy who would be a great ruler of the world, as long as the world did exactly what he tells it to do. Just straight up, someone who is almost as good at anything as the best person in the world, almost as good as Tony Stark in Tony Stark stuff, almost as good as Dr Strange in magic stuff, same belief in being right as Cap. America, etc.

But that dude thinks there's like 2 people in the world who deserve to have an opinion, and that's when he's feeling very democratic.

And the second person is another version of him from an alternate timeline that he has on speed dial.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

But on the plus side he never fucks up

Oh and he'll never die because of Doom Bots so the post death of a benevolent dictator chaos vacuum can never happen