• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Batman could figure out how to crack the Switch so it can run homebrew, but Spider-man could invent the Switch in the first place.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So you the Titano fanboy is saying Batman isn't as smart as the Red Ghost or Shrunken Bones or The Mad Thinker? You really want to say that?

latest
Yes.

In fact, I'm still pissed at Doomsday Clock naming Luthor and Batman as the smartest men of the DCU, the same universe where Dr. Sivana, T.O. Morrow, Doc Magnus and many more live.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

In fact, I'm still pissed at Doomsday Clock naming Luthor and Batman as the smartest men of the DCU, the same universe where Dr. Sivana, T.O. Morrow, Doc Magnus and many more live.
They always put batman on the smartest list when he's really the most resourceful man in the world but batgod does sometimes take batman place so

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'm gonna go with Peter, simply because he sort of has to be? I feel like he has more practice with his stuff and his scientific knowledge is emphasized a lot more than Bruce. That said, Bruce is no slouch by any measure.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bruce Wayne is not like Tony Stark, he just funds others like Lucius Fox to make gear and gadgets for him.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
they dont call batman "the worlds greatest scientist" they call him "the worlds greatest detective"

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Think about how incredibly strong and useful Spider-Man's webs are, then realize Parker invented both the web fluid and web shooters in Aunt May's basement in less than a day.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
It's Batman. Science isn't limited to studying chemical reactions and being hunched over a microscope. Detective work is a science, and Batman is the greatest detective in the world. On his own, he does the work that 5--10 people in the crime lab could do - and in a fraction of the time. His forensics acumen would gain him the senior position at pretty much any law enforcement agency's lab. And what he may lack in actual knowledge, he makes up for in the ingenious ways that he applies any knowledge that he gains.

Spiderman may be able to invent some cool webshooters and stuff like that, but in terms of applying the actual scientific method and constantly evolving in his crimefighting profession, he comes up decidedly short when compared to the Bat.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
That was just Veidt's opinion. He probably googled "richest person in the world" and assumed the richest would also be smartest like him.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
You just want to make thread just to make a thread.
Batman is as good as he needs to be for the situation.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I don't see Spider-Man inventing no shark repellent, do you??

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

It's been canon since long before Doomsday Clock.

Basically, if you assemble a top 20 authorities on literally any subject, Bruce will be at all of them and Luthor at most of them in a higher spot than Bruce. The rest of the super geniuses know more about their own fields than Bruce and (often, but not always) Luthor, but they don't know a whole hell of a lot outside those fields.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
If Batman's was the equivalent of Elon Musk or Wernher von Braun, Spider-Man would be like Donna Strickland (Nobel leaurate and experimental physicist) and Kip Thorne (Nobel leaurate and theoretical physicist) combined.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Batman is one of the smartest. Like, he's done some wild shit. He really has. People can be pissed that he's done it, but he did it. Peter's also a genius.
The thing is, Batman stole and re-engineered a lot of tech for himself, but the shit he did is insane. In any universe. He's developed counter measures and plans that are ridiculous. He's also one of the best forensic scientists in the DCU next to Barry Allen (that hurt to say).

Peter just invents shit, and then dumbs himself down. Like, he limits himself and then gets called out because he has no self-confidence. Blue Marvel was like "hey you're a pretty smart dude." Blue Marvel, of all people.

Thing is, Bruce isn't even the smartest one of the Bat family. That's Barbara, and even then he hijacked her clocktower during War Games and locked her out temporarily.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say Spider-Man but DC just gives Batman Genius level expert on everything. Virology? Batman can create a vaccine. Need a way to get to space quick? Batman built a teleporter. Create a giant computer and network that can hack into any computer system in the world? Batman is a Systems Admin. Batman built the worlds most advanced Artificial Intelligence.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe i should put it this way:
being a super scientist undermines the "scrappy underdog everyman hero" qualities I prefer in peter parker
being a super scientist is literally part of the origin panels for batman

you can easily write a spiderman who isn't a brilliant scientist, but i don't think batman works without it. it's more essential to batman.

What? The opposite. I feel like every Spider-Man story touches on his intelligence, even if they dumb him down.

Meanwhile, you have Nolan Batman who... I mean, was he that brilliant? Or was it Lucius? Bats works that way because you can always have other characters be the need for him. Spidey is always, always smart.

Jamh

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Where'd the idea that Batman isn't a scientist come from? He's built several gadgets, power suits, and vehicles not to mention the myriad of chemical concoctions to counteract villains like Joker, Scarecrow, and Poison Ivy. The problem with comparing him to Spider-Man is that they don't usually explore Peter's scientific side as often because he actually has super powers so I've got to go with Bats.