• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not being that versed in comics I was just curious. Both seems to dabble in science fairly often to solve problems, so i just wanted to know who was better with the test tubes. Dalek, BKatastrophe ?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Not being that versed in comics? Did I wake up in another dimension?

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hmm, they definitely both stick more to applied sciences than pure science (necessity and all).

But it's Spider-Man. Bruce is just trying to catch collars at the end of the day. He's not as interested in pushing the envelope. And when he does, hoo boy. Brother I, anybody? Not great.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's gotta be Parker. They've established a few times that if he wasn't doing the Spider-Man gig that he could be a scientist of note. Bruce seems like his science knowledge is specifically there for forensics and the such, I don't think he has the same aptitude or passion for it.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
My gut says Peter. Just compare what he was accomplishing as a teen versus what Bruce was doing.

Oct 27, 2017
Batman is not so much of a scientist, but rather a person who uses science as part of his arsenal.

Spider-Man is an actual, trained, PhD-type scientist who happens to be a superhero.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Bruce has a much wider breadth of knowledge than Peter. He can work in fields that Peter can't and all the fields that Peter can.

But in the fields that Peter knows, he runs circles around Bruce backwards with his eyes shut.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Why you lying?

And Peter is smarter, he is among the top 20 of smarter humans on the Marvel Universe; Batman is called the 2nd smarter man on the DC universe, but he would be lucky to rank among the first 50 of the Marvel U.
So you the Titano fanboy is saying Batman isn't as smart as the Red Ghost or Shrunken Bones or The Mad Thinker? You really want to say that?

latest

Oct 25, 2017
I'd trust Peter more for like actual important scientific things
But if i needed a new grappling hook i'd go to Batman

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
batman

dude has the best education billionaires can buy

peter's scrappy and he has moments of brilliance, but he's not a super-scientist

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Batman, but I think Spider-Man is amazing despite financial setbacks (generally).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
For anything dealing with chemistry and radiation, I'd go with Peter.
Everything else, I'd go with Bruce. He has a genius level of intellect, is a master scientist, and I believe the only people smarter than him in the DC Universe is Brainiac and Lex from what I remember.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
batman

dude has the best education billionaires can buy

peter's scrappy and he has moments of brilliance, but he's not a super-scientist
Peter is definitely a super scientist, just not to the degree of Banner, Pym, or Richards.

Bruce is not a super scientist. He just knows a lot of things.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
The alpha energy discovery alone, whether Reed found it first or not, qualifies him for super-scientist.
maybe i should put it this way:
being a super scientist undermines the "scrappy underdog everyman hero" qualities I prefer in peter parker
being a super scientist is literally part of the origin panels for batman

you can easily write a spiderman who isn't a brilliant scientist, but i don't think batman works without it. it's more essential to batman.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
maybe i should put it this way:
being a super scientist undermines the "scrappy underdog everyman hero" qualities I prefer in peter parker
being a super scientist is literally part of the origin panels for batman

you can easily write a spiderman who isn't a brilliant scientist, but i don't think batman works without it. it's more essential to batman.
Peter invented technology the US military has been unable to replicate in his origin. He's pretty damn smart and it's an integral part of his character.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
LOL @ the premise.

Spiderman can do actual nuclear physics.
Batman method acts science by looking into a microscope and making up words. His entourage of high school drop outs can barely read, so they gobble it all up, while red shirts at Wayne Industries R&D do the actual work.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
LOL @ the premise.

Spiderman can do actual nuclear physics.
Batman method acts science by looking into a microscope and making up words. His entourage of high school drop outs can barely read, so they gobble it all up, while red shirts at Wayne Industries R&D do the actual work.
Damn Palette you need to talk about something?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Batman is smart and resourceful but he's rich and well connected he has a huge company and Lucius Fox and one time the Justice League to build his shit

Spider-Man by himself builds revolutionary shit and sometimes assists guys like Reed Richards

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes the writers remember Peter can do some chemistry stuff. It's way all over the place. He has smart friends, and gets a lot of help from Mr. Fantastic and Tony Stark for heavy lifting. The billionaire arc fucked shit up. Pete was always smart, but not really "genius" level like they sometimes try.

Batman goes from tech and strategy genius to rich investment scavenger for how he gets his tech. Sometimes he knows shit, sometimes he just buys it.

are the writing inconsistencies a bug or a feature?

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Peter could explain a concept to Bruce who is well-versed enough to eventually grasp it, but I imagine there's nothing Bruce could teach Peter that he doesn't already know or could figure out independently. Bruce is probably way better at applying what he does know, however.