• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
ef946107dd103a4b832118c3e29ae683.jpg

Tim Drake is my favourite Robin and one of my favourite heroes in general. He's responsible for reinventing Robin as not only a competent aid to Batman but a superhero in his own right. He was the first Robin to run his own solo series. He's the reason Robin know wears a legit cool costume than whatever the hell he used to wear. He gave Robin a bo-staff and a fighting style separate from Batman's. There's a reason why Batman the Animated Series, and Teen Titans used Tim Drake for inspiration when writing Robin. He's considered to have potential to surpass Bruce in terms of intellect and detective skills. Hell Ra's Al Ghul even started calling him "Detective" the same way he calls Bruce.

But he keeps getting forgotten and screwed over. Batman The Animated Series mainly made him Jason Todd, and didn't give him his staff and fighting skills and not to mention what the Joker does to him. He appears in Young Justice Outsiders and looks cool and get's a few limelights but he's mainly a background character and doesn't really do anything. Arkham Robin looks cool and at least he's playable but once again he's shafted. He doesn't do anything in City and in Knight he's made Dick Grayson 2.0 and doesn't do anything either. He didn't even show up in the New 52 based DC animated movies. All he gets in Injustice 2 is a cameo and that's not even mentioning what the comics do to him.

He's a character with a lot of potential that is being wasted and shafted. I heard he now goes by Drake which is just dumb and not to mention his new costume is pretty ugly. He needs a better spotlight.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. BOOOOOO DRAKE.

That arc of his in Rebirth Teen Titans where he comes back from the future and he's an obnoxious edgelord was terrible and yet, still a more interesting plot thread than he's had in decades.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Tim Drake (like all other Robins) is that Bruce won't quit, so you never get to truly see them at the helm for too long. More of a problem with comic books in general.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Yea no. Not a fan of since they typically default to him being the know-it-all of the Bat Family. I get the whole thing inheriting the detective aspect of Batman but just personifies Batman Plot Armor.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The only good Robin is Dick Grayson.
Dick Grayson was a shit Robin. Only became a good character in his very last years in the role and came into his own as Nightwing.

Tim's the one who takes the job for what it is. Something that has to be done by somebody, even if he never wanted to be the one doing it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I love Tim. He's the Robin I grew up with, so maybe that's why.

That arc of his in Rebirth Teen Titans where he comes back from the future and he's an obnoxious edgelord was terrible and yet, still a more interesting plot thread than he's had in decades.
Read Tynion's Detective Comics.
The only good Robin is Dick Grayson.
... but Tim is the best Robin. I don't mean he's the best character, but he's the best at the job.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Tim is that he sucks as a Robin, and by that I mean being a sidekick to Batman, as a Titan and flying solo he works but the Robin baggage has been an anchor dragging the character down for ages.

He needs an original Nightwing-like identity not just now but at least 15+ years ago.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Free1.jpg

"You left the cave and became Nightwing... That's not me. I don't plan on taking over for him someday. I won't be out here on the rooftops ten years from now. I do my shift as Robin and then go back to a 'Normal' life."

Free2.png

"You said we'd be okay. My entire life has burnt down! Again! [...] This is all I have now."

Free3.png

"I can be free. Oh thank god. I can be free."

Free_4.png

"I've seen the lonely path, Steph. I've seen what it does to me. I need people around me [...] If you want to come with me and see where this road goes..."

Who else gets a complete character arc like that over the course of 30 years?

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The 90s Tim Drake Robin was the closest to feeling like "Spider-Man of Gotham" which is how Robin ought to be, IMO, regardless of what Robin's secret ID actually is named.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Also, that shitty new costume needs to go. If they're going to give Tim his own identity, it still needs to be attached to the Bat family and it still needs a cape.

The only Batfamily color no one is using is green. I think you can make a primarily green + red or yellow and black costume work for Tim.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Tim Drake is the best Robin, but he was pretty much destroyed as a character with New 52.

If they want to "fix" Tim Drake they need to retcon the stupid of New 52 and Rebirth, retcon his dad's death and return him to the Watson like role he played to Batman.

Also I hate Damien as Robin.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Best Robin. I was a big fan of his solo run (what other sidekick could even dream of carrying a book as long as he did?) and hate what they've done with him in the last decade or so.

He was great in Teen Titans, too. I loved his and Connor's friendship.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Bendis is trying to bring back that young justice magic but, it's declining for me. Gonna have to drop it.

Arguably a highlight for Tim Drake was the original young justice run.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Dick did just fine without a cape.
It's a good look for Dick. His original cape was short and it was dropped in the first costume he had after his original Robin costume. Tim isn't Dick. He's always had a cape. Hell, he had more of a cape as Robin than his predecessors. Even his shitty feathered look from the New52 relaunch would form a cape when inactive. It's just very much visually tied to the character and going the capeless route for him just doesn't work.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
He best serves the role of a... pure Robin. Dick's best known for moving past the role, Jason's best known for his lack of restraint and death, Stephanie's barely known at all, and Damian's best known for being a Robin by both convenience and for rehabilitation's sake. Tim fits the job the best, really. But from someone who mostly consumes the adaptations rather than the comics themselves, Tim's seemed underutilized and inconsistent to me, so it's hard to care much for him, especially when he just comes across as bland compared to the... strong personalities some of the other Robins have.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damian is a better Robin imo. Drakes the least interesting.

for what it's worth to you OP, Jason Todd admitted Drake was the best Robin in Dceased

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017

The Super Sons of Tomorrow crossover was such a wasted opportunity. Can't believe Drake didn't even show up in it. The only good thing to come out of it was the development of Damian and Jon's friendship.

Raven and Beast Boy betraying the Titans and joining Savior to kill Jonathan Kent.
One of the worst things about that arc. Seriously, why were the Teen Titans even in this crossover, they add nothing to the story. The only things they do are make stupid decisions and steal spotlight from everyone else. From the get go this should have been a Batfamily/Superfamily story, told across Batman, Superman, and Super Son books.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the love of god people just read Yost's Red Robin instead of shitposting about how Drake doesn't fit into a TMNT archetype.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Why can't I ignore you?

A TAKE THIS BAD SHOULD BE IGNORABLE!

/bad joke

Time is my favorite Robin, and one of my favorite Bat-family characters. There's a reason he had one of the longest solo runs, and was part of team books like Teen Titans for so long. He's a great character.

As for that "Savior" arc, naw.

He had a better role in Detective Comics, in the current Teen Titans book (which is so-so), in Futures End/Batman Beyond (Futures End was a so-so event), and his solo Red Robin book a decade ago was great.
I love Tim. He's the Robin I grew up with, so maybe that's why.

Read Tynion's Detective Comics.

... but Tim is the best Robin. I don't mean he's the best character, but he's the best at the job.

Best Robin, and a great character.
His solo book ran for like 180 issues. Tell me a sidekick who can live up to that. He was the best Robin.

Yep.
The 90s Tim Drake Robin was the closest to feeling like "Spider-Man of Gotham" which is how Robin ought to be, IMO, regardless of what Robin's secret ID actually is named.

Seriously. I've read this take before and I agree.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
He had a better role in Detective Comics, in the current Teen Titans book (which is so-so), in Futures End/Batman Beyond (Futures End was a so-so event), and his solo Red Robin book a decade ago was great.
Future's End was a lot worse than so-so.

TBH my favorite former Robin is Jason Todd, but he was a pretty crap Robin when he was wearing the cape, I'll admit. Dick or Damian would be my picks. Really liked Son of Batman, which elevated the latter a lot for me.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Drake is also my favorite Robin, and favorite Bat-Family member. I really loved how much of a detective he was, and he truly understood why Batman needed a Robin.

New 52 butchered the character to shreds though, which drove me crazy, especially after Yost's amazing Red Robin series. He's a lot better now, and I've enjoyed him in Detective Comics when he was there and Young Justice currently. I hate the new costume though; that needs to go.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Drake is also my favorite Robin, and favorite Bat-Family member. I really loved how much of a detective he was, and he truly understood why Batman needed a Robin.

New 52 butchered the character to shreds though, which drove me crazy, especially after Yost's amazing Red Robin series. He's a lot better now, and I've enjoyed him in Detective Comics when he was there and Young Justice currently. I hate the new costume though; that needs to go.

Time to bring this back

21fd8daf85010e30c3d7c263bd0dd9d86807b1be_hq.jpg

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Drake is easily the Robin I've read the most of because of my love for Stephanie Brown. It's unavoidable to read a ton of Tim stories when reading her's. Always liked Tim's personality & he never got on my nerves the way Damian always has reading him. Never read too many Dick stories as Robin & Jason is what he is. Much better as Red Hood.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
At least they made him stronger than Nightwing in the Arkham series which was new. Also, he does get some love in the Arkham comics; but he, along with the rest of the Batfamily, were criminally underutilized.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
At least they made him stronger than Nightwing in the Arkham series which was new. Also, he does get some love in the Arkham comics; but he, along with the rest of the Batfamily, were criminally underutilized.
Sucks how he ended as a useless sidekick in Knight at the end

Yes. Loved this outfit.And bring back Tam.

Too Nightwing esque honestly.

If we want Tim to look cool while wearing a cape, just make him Red X:

latest

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
apply this but to the entire DC comics, it's a damn convuluted mess atm, between metal and bendis , everything is damn nar teerrible
and we are all event and reboot fatigued out, dc editoiral is a damn mess and failure atm

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I prefer Damian more as Robin when Dick is Batman.

I prefer Dick or Tim more as Bruce's Robin though.

I just enjoy Dick and Damian's dynamic too much.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tim Drake fulfills the premise of Robin better than anyone else. He's ultimately a huge Batman fanboy who got to live out his dream of actually fighting alongside him. That was the whole point of Robin. A character that kids could project themselves onto and fight alongside Batman.

Oct 27, 2017
Tim Drake? Tim... Drake?

New-Tim-Drake-Costume.jpg

Oh, you mean Drake, the Very Ripe Banana Man!

It's a fucking shame what they did to him, considering they had perfected his (Red) Robin design in Detective Comics:

c1f86188c54fb5830abdc4db05b17473.jpg

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Drake? Tim... Drake?

Oh, you mean Drake, the Very Ripe Banana Man!

It's a fucking shame what they did to him, considering they had perfected his (Red) Robin design in Detective Comics:
2 edits I made keeping in mind what I said about colors

The Batfamily has {Purple, Grey, Blue, Black, (Yellow,} red, green) for colors.

The colors in the brackets come from the Batsuit
The colors in parenthesis come from the Robin costume
Dick is black and blue
Barbara is grey, blue and yellow
Kate and Terry are red and black
Jason is grey and red
Cassandra is black and yellow
Steph is purple and black
Duke Thomas is yellow and black
No one in the Batfamily is currently using the Robin green. And Tim's first costume featured that color more than the prior robins (despite excising it entirely in his second costume in honor of Connor
With that in mind, I did what I could with the Drake costume:

DrakeGreen3.png
DrakeGreen4.png
(That neck piece is awful. It was salvageable in the first image, but wtf is it even supposed to be in the second? Honestly, I think it should just be a solid yellow around the neck and the chest above the pectorals or a solid green throughout. But I'm not that good at image editing.)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
apply this but to the entire DC comics, it's a damn convuluted mess atm, between metal and bendis , everything is damn nar teerrible
and we are all event and reboot fatigued out, dc editoiral is a damn mess and failure atm

This is how I've felt about DC for about a decade. I used to really be into their universe, read probably a dozen comics monthly. I began to lose interest around the time Grant Morrison took over Batman. I like Morrison's work just fine, some of it a lot, but I found his Batman work poor and missed how that title would cycle through four or five issue arcs from different groups of creators.

Then DC started changing everything almost every few months. I drop in on them from time to time to check out a few comics, and most of the characters are barely recognizable any longer and not nearly as compelling as they were around the time of 52 and the few years following it. I feel like Marvel and Dark Horse are far more consistent.

As for Tim Drake, I never read that much material with him in it, but it always seemed like the editors and writers didn't know what to do with him after Damion came along. I can't recall if I've ever even seen him in any DC animated feature from the last five years.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Was Bendis even a good move for DC? I heard the Superman books haven't been doing too much better than when Tomasi was writing them.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As for Tim Drake, I never read that much material with him in it, but it always seemed like the editors and writers didn't know what to do with him after Damion came along. I can't recall if I've ever even seen him in any DC animated feature from the last five years.

They don't even know what to do with Damian tbh. Every single time he's introduced, or a book is rebooted, he comes off as an asshole, gets character development, and then repeat. They don't let the character grow and keep him as a snarkish prick who adds animosity to the cast to keep things interesting.

Was Bendis even a good move for DC? I heard the Superman books haven't been doing too much better than when Tomasi was writing them.

No.

He helped introduce Naomi, who was a good character and her book was decent. He brought back Young Justice (Conner and Bart), and its fun but the book feels like it doesn't have any substance. And his best work so far has probably been the Batman: Universe book.

Besides that? A lot of meh and some bad.