• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
For those wondering why women are just coming forward now?

Men control the industry and they pull some shit.

Dormammu

Banned
May 20, 2020
Why do i have a feeling that a lot of the huge comic legends from the past have some dark hidden secrets that are about to come out?

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I barely even lurked on the Whitechapel forums back then, and I was pretty young, but the vibe always felt sex positive :/. But it was the same with the music scene in my town as well, older dudes preying. Calling it out would get you ostracized and yourself called out and it's none of your business, and so I never did call it out because I probably believed I would be wrong to.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not surprising given the industry and environment. Even the incredibly small interactions I've had with men in the industry have almost always been tainted by this shit.

The women are coming forward are incredibly brave. I hope that at the very least, in coming forward, they can ensure that other people don't become victims of these men as well. But I know that's probably a fool's hope. I will not be surprised if they are given a pass for being such great artists. But they really should be blacklisted.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's a bummer to hear about Ellis, good on them for speaking out

Guess I won't be buying his stuff anymore

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Ellis start one of the early comic book forums back in the day too? I can imagine he was doing some shady shit with that too

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
What is with this creeps and the weird way they talk to their victims/targets/etc?

"I remember the way you moved under my hand" is some creepy shit and not in any way romantic sounding. Definitely the kinda weird shit I'd expect from someone who writes comics and thinks they're being sexy or some shit.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ellis being accused is both kind of surprising but also not that really surprising.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamnit

I mean, Im angry that one of my favorite authors is a fucking asshole but Im even more sorry for the victims. Awful shit and, as an artist whos committed to helping young artists get into the industry, this one hits home.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what Konami and Netflix are going to do based on this revelation. First thing I hope is fire his ass and disassociate from any future deals

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* for fuck sake Ellis.

Good for the victims of both men for coming out.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Didn't Ellis start one of the early comic book forums back in the day too? I can imagine he was doing some shady shit with that too
One of the responses I saw on Twitter mentioned he was very weird on said forums, even banning someone who brought up this sort of predatory behavior in the industry. Given all the evidence that's coming out, I have no reason to doubt their account of what happened.
Loved Ellis' run on Moon Knight...
Don't ruin it for me man..
Really not relevant to the discussion.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow Cameron Stewart? As far as comic book artists go he seemed pretty milquetoast. But, you know what they say about the quiet ones and all.

I have to be honest, Ellis always seemed creepy (I remember his old forum posting days) so that doesn't surprise me. He even once called me some exotic name for "moron" that I can't even remember, all because I asked him a question about a character in one of his comics I didn't get.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Damn. Warren is basically one of the biggest living legends of the comic book world.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Ellis very openly kept a group of young women close to him in the 00s. Running his forums, giving them space and boosting their work in his newsletters, etc. He never said anything overtly creepy in public but... Come on.

When Me Too came and went I figured maybe he really did limit it to simply pushing the work of attractive young women. Guess that wasn't the case.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
One of the responses I saw on Twitter mentioned he was very weird on said forums, even banning someone who brought up this sort of predatory behavior in the industry. Given all the evidence that's coming out, I have no reason to doubt their account of what happened.

Really not relevant to the discussion.
Simply stating that I was a fan of his work, and I don't think I can feel the same about it anymore.
What are you thinking?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

If you want a breakdown on who's done shit...

Notable names include
Max Landis
Scott Lobell
Marc Guggenheim
Hope Nicholson
Harlen Ellison

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Ellis very openly kept a group of young women close to him in the 00s. Running his forums, giving them space and boosting their work in his newsletters, etc. He never said anything overtly creepy in public but... Come on.

Weren't they actually referred to as "Warren's Angels" or something akin to that for a while? I'm having to remember back two decades here to the WEF Era so I'm not sure if I've got it right here.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I know the guy is kind of an ass at times but someone people tell me Alan Moore isn't this kind of scumbag....

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Dudes in comics. WTF. The ideals are right in front of you. Please be better. And we can all (and I count myself in this) be much better about making it clear we are here for those feeling victimized or even just uncomfortable by the actions of others.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How many times have I heard about a powerful dude in some nerdy media space uses his "wokeness" as a guise to hit on and groom women that want to break into the industry? Way too much.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Simply stating that I was a fan of his work, and I don't think I can feel the same about it anymore.
What are you thinking?
That the focus should be on his abhorrent actions and the prominence of this within the comics industry, per the multiple accounts of grooming that have arisen for multiple men working in the comics industry doing this exact same thing, not "that run on Moon Knight I really liked was by him" and making it personal (Don't ruin it for me).

It come across as insensitive when that's what you posted about.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I had no idea about Ellis' history, I'm glad the women have spoke up. I hope Netflix is aware and investigating.