• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to the Comic-Con 2019 thread! The festivities kick off with Preview Night on Wednesday, July 17, and run through Sunday, July 21.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Comic-Con! Started in 1970 in the basement of the U.S. Grant Hotel in downtown San Diego, Comic-Con grew from an excited crowd of 300 fans to the giant that it is today! Moving from those humble beginnings to the El Cortez to the Performing Arts Center and—in 1991— the San Diego Convention Center, Comic-Con has become a comics convention staple and a worldwide phenomenon.

sdcc50logosjk1m.png

Clicking on most images, including the blue banners, will take you to the corresponding topic on their respective websites.

merchandise2019closesuxkgf.png

Got a ticket? That means you've somehow survived the bloodshed and tears of the Comic-Con ticket battlefield. I welcome you, brave soldier. Click here for information on purchasing badges, badge prices, and other ticketing procedures.

Getting tickets to Comic-Con is a trial by fire. Fortunately the process has become smoothed out since the horrific TicketLeap FailFrog madness of 2011.

There are two types of ticket sales: Returning Registration and Open Registration. In order to participate in any sales, you must have a valid and confirmed Comic-Con Member ID, which requires creating an account and validating it before the Member ID system closes in advance (without warning) of any badge sales. You can only participate in Returning Registration if you purchased a ticket last year. Everyone you wish to purchase badges for must have their own valid and confirmed Member ID account, and they must have participated last year if you want to buy their tickets during Returning Registration. Whew!

Don't have a ticket? You can still enjoy the festivities in Downtown San Diego. Almost all the locals have special promotions and fun exhibits to visit outside of the Convention Center!

Prepare for next year by creating a Comic-Con Member ID for you and your friends and family today!

Follow the latest Comic-Con news, tips and tricks on the official Toucan blog!

Information for full programming schedules will be announced closer to the start of Comic-Con.

onlineexclusivesportarbjmn.png

Rather than doing ticket distribution for convention exclusives through lines in the Sails Pavilion, Comic-Con is now utilizing an online lottery via the Exclusives Portal! No longer will you have to wait outside overnight to wait for upstairs to open to run to the Sails Pavilion to wait in a line that goes back outside and wraps around the bay to hope that you get a chance to maybe come back at 4 PM for that Hasbro exclusive that you want!

For 2019, they have added in credit allotments similarly to WonderCon. Credits are provided for each person per day, and you can use your allotment to give you more chances to get the exclusives you want. You can use all of your credits on one exclusive merchandise purchasing time slot, or you may choose to divide your credits between multiple exclusive time slots. Just remember that placing all of your credits in one exclusive does not guarantee selection or participation.

In order to access the Exclusives Portal, you have to log into your Member ID and select the Exclusives tab. From there, you can choose from multiple time slots a day and submit for as many time slot requests as you would like (as long as you have a valid badge for those days and available credit).

Here is the official breakdown for admissions to each company:
  • *NEW* Bluefin Distribution (General purchasing): One time slot for the entire convention
  • *NEW* Bluefin Distribution (Metal Build Strike Gundam): One time slot for the entire convention
  • *NEW* SDCC x Funko (Separate booth with 3 SDCC-themed exclusives): One time slot for the entire convention
  • Hasbro: One slot for the entire convention
  • Funko: One slot for the entire convention
  • LEGO: Can select multiple slots for each exclusive, but once per day (meaning you could get a time slot for both a Marvel exclusive and a DC exclusive)
  • UCC Distributing: Once slot per person exclusive (but you shouldn't really use your tickets on them, their booths are super open and easy to get stuff from)
  • Autographs: One slot per person per exclusive
Selections will be made shortly after the exclusives portal closes, and you will need to login to check your exclusives request status.

Click here to read the Exclusive Merchandise Time Slot FAQ!

Here are the best news sites to follow for exclusives:

exclusiveshypelistkgj5t.png

Information for the 2019 Hall H procedures will be announced closer to the start of Comic-Con.

Every year, Nintendo sets up the Nintendo Gaming Lounge (more recently changed to the Play Nintendo Family Lounge) at the Marriott hotel adjacent to the Convention Center.
There are many stations set up for game demos with giveaways, freebies, live chatting with Mario, costumed friends, and more! Entry is free, so bring your gaming systems and prepare for fun!

VwbuQNd.png

DO:
+ Bring a portable battery charger! Your phone and other important devices will thank you.
+ Have plenty of cash on hand.
+ Have good hygiene. You'll basically be in a zoo with a bunch of smelly gross people. A shower and deodorant will save your life.
+ Bring a backpack full of snacks, a hat, phone charger/battery pack, and hand sanitizer. You also need room for those freebies!
+ HAVE A PLAN! It can get disorienting being in the huge exhibit hall. Every year I print out the list of exclusives I want and draw a path on the exhibit hall map.
+ Attend the panel before the one you want so you can get good seats! (And it might actually be something you're interested in!)
+ Attend the Masquerade. It's a fun event with a lot of amazing cosplayers.
+ Take some time to explore San Diego! It's beautiful down here.
+ KEEP YOUR BADGE AFTER THE SHOW! You must have a valid Comic-Con badge to register for next year. Don't toss it!
+ Bring your Switch, 3DS, or other electronics to keep you company in line!
DON'T:
- Don't park downtown unless you want to deal with insane traffic. Take the trolley!
- Don't spend all your money the first day.
- Don't overexert yourself. Pick your panels and signings wisely.
- Don't settle for convention hall junk. Pay a bit more for some real food.
- Don't tackle Hall H unprepared!

Last edited:

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of good information here. I can't believe it's less than 3 weeks away!

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I'm so sad that I won't be going to the 50th. I went for at least 13 years and then had to stop because it cost so much, was too difficult to get badges AND hotels, and was far too crowded.

Still, I wish I could go, lol

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to it!

Remember there are tons of things to do outside the convention center. Many things you don't need a badge for. I like going to the parties and off-sites.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I'm having a hard time with the website. So other than the GOT S8 and the Witcher panels we don't know much about what is planned ?

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I shall be there as usual, exhibiting new comics on the corner small press area, looking on in wonder at the exclusives crowd rush each morning.

After spending months finishing our books in readiness, SDCC is always great (if tiring) fun to cap it all off. See y'all there.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, all of this sounds amazing. More interesting than E3, I should pay more attention to this event.

Really curious about the Dark Material panel and Marvel plans.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Is Conan still held at that super small venue?

I always found hotels harder to get than tickets when I used to go

OP
OP

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
Programming schedule is now live for Sunday along with programs for celebrating SDCC 50!!

Made sure to toss in my Exclusives Portal submissions before the deadline, mostly dumping them in Bluefin and CW signings. Hoping I can snag the Toucan from Funko Shop when it goes live, but I tossed in some SDCC x Funko booth ones just in case.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I'll be there Wednesday through Saturday. I almost always skip Sunday. Nothing really worth driving down for that.

Friday I'll be hanging out with my friends in line for Hall H all day from dawn until the wristbands are handed one (one is camping over night to hold the spot in line). We'll be playing MTG most of the day to pass the time.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll be there Wednesday through Saturday. I almost always skip Sunday. Nothing really worth driving down for that.

Friday I'll be hanging out with my friends in line for Hall H all day from dawn until the wristbands are handed one (one is camping over night to hold the spot in line). We'll be playing MTG most of the day to pass the time.
Me too! I'm trying to do Hall H on Saturday. The last two years I've made it in Hall H on Friday and Saturday.

neferteetee

Oct 28, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I'm very excited! This is my first time going. I have passes for Thursday and Sunday (of course Friday/Saturday were sold out) but I'm just glad to even have the opportunity to be there. I'm actually pretty overwhelmed with everything they have going on. My friend and I are trying to get tickets to Conan's taping he's doing there and anything SDCC adjacent. On our off days we're going to go to Universal one day and explore San Diego the other. I'm from CT and this will be my first time on the west coast.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Me too! I'm trying to do Hall H on Saturday. The last two years I've made it in Hall H on Friday and Saturday.

For Saturday if you can't camp out Thursday night, you'll need to get in line for Hall H wristbands as early as possible Friday morning.

I can't say how many times I see people complaining that they get in line like 2 hours before wristbands are handed out and they don't get in. It's a minimum of a 12 hour wait.

Oct 29, 2017
For Saturday if you can't camp out Thursday night, you'll need to get in line for Hall H wristbands as early as possible Friday morning.

I can't say how many times I see people complaining that they get in line like 2 hours before wristbands are handed out and they don't get in. It's a minimum of a 12 hour wait.
I normally have friends who just want to go on Saturday. They sit in line on Friday and I treat them to food and drinks. When the panels I want to go to are over, I take their spot so they can do their thing. When wristbands are distributed, we send out an group text to come back. We can always use more people in our group.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I normally have friends who just want to go on Saturday. They sit in line on Friday and I treat them to food and drinks. When the panels I want to go to are over, I take their spot so they can do their thing. When wristbands are distributed, we send out an group text to come back. We can always use more people in our group.

I usually do it with a friend of mine who's a 25 year SDCC vet. He'll camp out Friday night to hold a spot in line. I can't camp out this year since I didn't get a hotel and am driving every day (can't leave the car in the convention center over night).

We had a nightmare situation in 2017 when there was organization. Another friend from up North organized the line with shifts via a Google Doc.

That was fine.

What happened was one person we knew suddenly had 20 new friends show up out of nowhere because he told them he had the line hook up. Every hour as it got closer to the wristband distribution another group showed up because he told them about the line group.

This year we're keeping it small and if that guy wants to try it again, he can go far behind us and just deal with it. Although I don't think it'll happen since he'll probably be at the Farscape party when wristbands are handed out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
I got Bluefin for Thursday...but nothing else! Got my Pulse Premium ticket for the booth and party fortunately, would've been nice to get a SDCC x Funko ticket for the Toucan POP! but I guess I can fight the Funko Shop crowd for it. Never seem to win any of those CW signings!

OP
OP

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost here! I also got Conan tickets for Saturday...gonna be an amazing 50th!

Is Nintendo not doing a Gaming Lounge this year? I haven't seen any news about it--oh wait I found it through the power of Twitter and actually reading the Quick Start guide!

iKSmpIH.png

Last edited:

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Spending tomorrow getting ready. Charging camera for Wednesday, three backup batteries for the phone, and filling ice chest with bags of ice and water bottles for the week.

Oct 25, 2017
Upset that I didn't get any spots for Conan or Exclusives, but at least I'll get to check out the convention center for a second year, even if it's only Sunday. I can look around the Exhibit Hall.

Besides that, it'll be the usual Offsite stuff. And plenty of time do Splatoon 2's Final Splatfest at home.

Last edited:

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My friend got lucky and scored a Conan taping and a Fandom invite. I didn't win anything from the portal but at least I was able to get a ScareDiego invite and made some RSVPs to parties at night.

Looking forward to this week, might be my last SDCC for a while.

OP
OP

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's plans for SDCC have finally been announced...better late than never!

Fans can stop by the Nintendo Gaming Lounge on Thursday, July 18 – Sunday, July 21 (Wednesday Night hours unknown, 10AM-7PM on Thursday-Saturday, and 10AM-5PM on Sunday), to partake in the festivities.

The Nintendo Switch game will be featured at Nintendo's Booth #235, but if you can't find room there, you can swing by Nintendo's Gaming Lounge across the street, where fans will find the game along with Pokémon Sword, Pokémon Shield, Luigi's Mansion 3, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Super Mario Maker 2, and Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda.

Other goodies and activities that visitors might encounter in the Nintendo Gaming Lounge include:

• Southwest Airlines: Two Super Mario Maker 2 kiosks will feature a custom Southwest Airlines course. Consumers will be encouraged to participate in open gameplay sessions July 18-19. On July 20, fans who are 13+ can visit the Nintendo Gaming Lounge and play Super Mario Maker 2 to enter for a chance to win a Nintendo Switch prize pack, which includes a Nintendo Switch system, a digital version of the Super Mario Maker 2 game and a $500 Southwest Airlines gift card.*
  • Costumes: Representatives from Disguise Costumes will be walking around to show off Nintendo-themed character costumes. Attendees might run into people wearing costumes of characters like Mario, Link, Zelda, Toad, Luigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Rosalina or Yoshi.
  • Sugarfina: The luxury candy boutique will debut its new collection celebrating the Nintendo Entertainment System™ and Super Mario Bros.™ Power up with six character-inspired Candy Cubes®, including three new gummies: pineapple Invincible Stars, apple-flavored Green Mushrooms and cherry-flavored Red Mushrooms. The collector's gift set features the 3-Piece Nintendo Entertainment System™ Console Candy Bento Box® complete with iconic game music and matching 2-piece Controller Candy Bento Box®. The collection hits stores on July 22.
  • Hot Wheels: The Nintendo Gaming Lounge is the only place to play with the new Hot Wheels Mario Kart die-cast vehicles and tracksets inspired by iconic courses from the video game. Race Mario and Yoshi as die-cast karts and overcome obstacles and challenges – just like in the game, but this time on Hot Wheels tracks!
  • Photo Ops: Fans who stop by the lounge can get fun photos featuring elements from games like Super Mario Maker 2, Pokémon Sword, Pokémon Shield and Luigi's Mansion 3. Keep an eye open for the Luigi and Gooigi figures.
  • My Nintendo Check-In: San Diego Comic-Con also happens to be the same weekend as the final Splatfest for the Splatoon 2 game. To commemorate this epic showdown, attendees can check in with their My Nintendo QR Code at the Nintendo Gaming Lounge to receive an exclusive Splatoon 2 Chaos vs. Order keychain set (while supplies last). For more information about the My Nintendo rewards program, and how to check in, visit https://my.nintendo.com/news.

gimmie that Splatfest keychain set

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
I want to get a wristband for Hall H on Friday, but I don't want to do overnight. Don't know if I'm just wasting my time on Thursday waiting. I really want to see the Witcher, but GOT and the Russo Brothers are the same day. :((((((

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
Sony used to have a big booth on the show floor, MIcrosoft used to too and have a gaming lounge, NerdHQ used to have space for video games, less and less video game stuff are there every year

Oct 25, 2017

I don't suppose anyone between tomorrow and Saturday can get this Morrigan/Lilith card set for me. PM me if you want to help.

I'll be checking out the hall on Sunday and worried they'll sell out before then.

EDIT: Let me know if there is a Shantae pin as well.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I got Bluefin for Thursday...but nothing else! Got my Pulse Premium ticket for the booth and party fortunately, would've been nice to get a SDCC x Funko ticket for the Toucan POP! but I guess I can fight the Funko Shop crowd for it. Never seem to win any of those CW signings!
My wife won an ticket for the Funko's. Right now, I'm at Nobu enjoying some great food. Happy Con!

Oct 29, 2017
I want to get a wristband for Hall H on Friday, but I don't want to do overnight. Don't know if I'm just wasting my time on Thursday waiting. I really want to see the Witcher, but GOT and the Russo Brothers are the same day. :((((((

You don't have to stay overnight. Just stay in line long enough to get an wristband and come back Friday morning before 7 am.