• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is something I've always wanted to do and since we're kind of stuck inside for the foreseeable future, I felt it was a good time to attempt the marathon.

Comic book movies have been fairly popular over the past few decades, but their origins go back decades. I thought it would be fun to explore as many as I can.

Starting with Captain Marvel and Batman serials from the 1940s and working my way through Birds of Prey.

I imagine it will mostly focus on DC and Marvel films with some bigger adaptions thrown in (Dick Tracey, Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim, Wanted, etc...)

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Ever is a damn lot.

I've been thinking it would be fun to watch the odd comic movies/extended shows from the 70s/80s/90s (Supergirl, Captain America, Dr. Strange, etc.). Just not sure if it's all available.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The best comic book movie:

CB7xfuD.jpg

And if you're looking for the most bizarre superhero movie ever made, try to track down a copy of...

UwJpTDM.jpg

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
jesus, good luck. if I ever attempted such a thing, i'd probably stick to Marvel and DC only for my own sanity... and probably start with superman 1978. lol

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long OP expect this quarantine to be?
MV5BZGEwMWJlNzMtMjQ4YS00YjI4LTkwZTYtMGFiZTY5YmE2ZTIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg
5507035.jpg
Asterix_obelix_cesar.jpg

Do we know if OP consider manga as Japanese comic books? :v

Does this include the likes of TMNT, The Mask, Men in Black, and others that most people forget were comic books first?

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
You'll have to watch Superman IV bro
You gotta watch the Phantom and BlankMan of course.
STEEL
CATWOMAN
SUPERGIRL

ALL THE HITS

Part of the reason I had this project in min, I've seen ever single one of these movies. Might as well try to complete the entire history of the sub-genre.

Do animated movies count?

I'm hoping so (though would really only stick with DC and Marvel on this one)
But that may be added on to the end (if I ever make it that far)

starrt witth tha classics

I'm actually started with the Adventures of Captain Marvel serial. I own the first Batman one and will do that and the 49 one as well.

Thanks for this, allows me to just sort them by release date instead of trying to track down some stuff!

How long OP expect this quarantine to be?
MV5BZGEwMWJlNzMtMjQ4YS00YjI4LTkwZTYtMGFiZTY5YmE2ZTIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg
5507035.jpg
Asterix_obelix_cesar.jpg

Do we know if OP consider manga as Japanese comic books? :v

Does this include the likes of TMNT, The Mask, Men in Black, and others that most people forget were comic books first?

I mean right now through the end of April... but I mean home ALL day so could maybe get in 2-3 movies a day, who knows!

And of course they count, I guess could actually cross some off since I did watch the original Ninja Turtles movie and Batman Begins last week.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
starrt witth tha classics

I am Shocked, I never knew these were thing. I know the Batman clip was edited, but damn, they got their asses handed to them so many times. Embarrassingly bad too, in so many scenarios. And the Captain Marvel? Almost as hilariously bad, except he just never got blindsided as bad. It was great seeing Captain Marvel showcasing his powers by just throwing people all over the place.

The olden days sure loved throwing people off of buildings and/or high places, damn. Im definitely going to have to watch both of these at some point, I won't be able to get them out of my head until I do

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you watch Spy Smasher, it is a Republic serial based on the Fawcett(and later DC) hero.

spy-smasher-serial-bb37d072-7679-466f-8d29-83e1c482e61-resize-750.jpg

It is the rare serial that I think is actually worth a watch, most are fairly dull and only interesting as cultural curios, but Spy Smasher is fun and engaging and with fun stunt work and action scenes.

Also, don't skip the 90s mini pulp boom we had.
  • The Shadow
  • The Saint
  • Dick Tracy
  • The Phantom
  • The Rocketeer
  • Darkman

All worth a watch, particularly as superhero and superhero adjacent stories before the rigid codification of the film genre. The Shadow is also an unfairly maligned masterpiece.

shadow-glare.gif

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Movie 1 - The Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941) A 12-part serial starring Captain Marvel (Shazam these days). He gets his powers in a similar manner, being granted by the wizard Shazam, but in this case it is related to him protecting a Scorpion statue, and an evil-doer named The Scorpion trying to assemble the pieces. IT mostly works, a bit hammy with the cliffhangers especially based off of Cap's powers.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Movie 2 - Batman 1943 serial

Do you like your comic heroes with a side of racism and nationalism? Well do we have the Batman movie for you! It's during the height of World War 2 and the politics of that era truly do not hold up. And we'll see plenty more of Batman as this journey continues.

Oct 25, 2017
You really only need to watch three movies: Dick Tracy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Road to Perdition.

Everything else is just filler.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Movie 3 - Captain America 1944

These serials do have a pretty similar structure/format, and I guess that's what happens when you need to stretch a story out over 12 entries for 3 1/2 hours.

That said, it's weird to see Cap without his shield, mostly using a gun and having a professional job.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Movie 4 - Superman 1948

I forgot to update yesterday. The best of the serials to date. I think it helps when they had a better idea of who and what Superman's supporting characters were (Lois, Jimmy and Perry) and it was for budgetary reasons, but I found it adorable that the flying animation was just that, animation of Superman flying. Adds a certain charm to the movie.

The Spider Lady is a fun villain and surprised she isn't in more DC stuff.