• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have never understood why some people feel the need to go after others for their choice of entertainment. If people wanna watch Wrestling? Let them. If people enjoy anime? Let them.

How does it affect you at all of someone enjoys something that you don't like?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Is this recent? On his latest Netflix special he said he had moved away from calling people retarded. I could see that being a lie to set up his next series of jokes now. He's a big fan of offending people then shielding himself with "I'm a comedian! It's jokes, it's all jokes you idiots!"

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
This is heel heat

dont get worked,marks

-HH

junk

Nov 1, 2017
Marks. Time and time again on here.

I love pro wrestling and Tom Segura is still fkn hilarious. YMH hot takes are a part of the gimmick. Stop being weenies and get ooooOoOoOver it.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
My 6-year-old figured out it was fake on his own. He also knows Luke Skywalker isn't real.

Wrestling is stupid and beautiful. That's the point.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Wrestling is like Power Rangers: it's lame, poorly acted, and dumb.

That doesn't mean the people that grew up watching either, or enjoy them today somehow are dumb. It's hard to criticize someone's escapist hobbies, because, really, is it any more embarrassing to plead and pray for a field goal to go in football? Or get angry at a player for being less than perfect? Let people enjoy what they enjoy.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like an asshat that needs a visit from Arnold, he really doesn't take kindly to d-bags who use those terms or the Special Olympics as an insult.
I love people who only line of critique against wrestling is "its fake!" The general public has known wrestling was fake since the early 90's you stooge.
It's been known since the 1930s really, exposés were done in major newspapers back then which is a reason why wrestlers went into kayfabe so hard and the stories were eventually forgotten about but the percentage of people who watched and believed everything was 100% real has always been overstated, just like people knew magicians weren't really performing magic but the suspension of disbelief was such it was easy to buy into because how it all worked wasn't nearly as exposed as it would later get and as wrestling would too by the late 80s. It's usually been the older people who'd really get the most into it and be the ones calling the cops and thanks to kayfabe it was easier to buy someone was really the asshole they portrayed themselves which is why there's been riots and wrestlers getting attacked.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Is it 1985 or something? "it's not a real sport, it's fake" is still the go to? You really think people who tune into wrestling in 2020 don't know that? What a dumb motherfucker.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Is this recent? On his latest Netflix special he said he had moved away from calling people retarded. I could see that being a lie to set up his next series of jokes now. He's a big fan of offending people then shielding himself with "I'm a comedian! It's jokes, it's all jokes you idiots!"
Was just wondering the same. I've been on a comedy special binge while working from home, so I just saw that one you're taking about the other day. Either he's flip flopped or this is an old clip. Wouldn't be surprised at the former, based on his style of humor.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I worked in wrestling for years and who gives a fuck what Tom Segura thinks, people have always been that way about wrestling. I don't get why people in the industry and outside of get get all twisted in a knot over it. Wrestlers sacrifice a lot, but if someone doesn't appreciate that you can't force them to. Wrestlers in my experience are some of the most validation-seeking people on the planet and they just can't let stuff like this go.

saint

Oct 27, 2017
he has friends in wrestling, he just makes fun of wrestling to rile them up that's all

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
Him trashing the Special Olympics is whack. I've been to it, I know athletes that couldn't make it to the national level, I've watched the events-every single person not only trained for their event, but are trying their best. I've seen more effort in those Events than in some Pro games i've paid hundreds of dollas to see. Fuck that potshot.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
This is just disappointing. Segura is one of the best comedians working today, and usually when he's pushing the envelope or saying outlandish things it's tempered with the contextualization of the bit around it or the whole special. But this is just lame and hacky on top of being ableist. I don't listen to his podcast and maybe there's a stark difference between a written, rehearsed, polished bit and just talking shit in a conversation, but now I'm kinda glad I don't.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
A professional comedian resorting to "wrestling is fake" is pretty weak. Next tell us about how women can't drive, Tom.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Him trashing the Special Olympics is whack. I've been to it, I know athletes that couldn't make it to the national level, I've watched the events-every single person not only trained for their event, but are trying their best. I've seen more effort in those Events than in some Pro games i've paid hundreds of dollas to see. Fuck that potshot.

Yeah that's especially disgusting. I used to do freelance work for a newspaper and covered the Special Olympics around 2006 or so. It was such a wonderful and inspirational event.

Such lazy comedy.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Wrestling is fake fighting. Congrats that's the worst kept secret in nearly any industry.

You know what else is fake. All fictional media.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns of Ableism
Should have seen Bill Burr go after painters. Was fucking hilarious.

They are just comedians being over the top and absurd for the sake of entertainement. Dont take it too seriously.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've never found wrestling of interest but the notion that fiction is only the realm of children has always been stupid.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose this video pretty much explains itself.

It's fine to not be a fan of the stuff, but his approach here is uhh... Bad.

His reasoning to insult people that watch it is also incredibly outdated.

By this guys logic movies are for stupid people too because "Schwarzenegger totally didnt really beat up those guys they took a dive. It's fake you morons."

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I was trying to think if I had ever seen his stand-up and at first I couldn't recall anything funny...

Then I did a YT search and I remembered I watched a bit on YT where he talked about overdosing. Just hilarious... *sarcasm*

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Lol, I remember being like this (not the ableist part, but the "why do they like it if it's fake" part) back when I was a kid, and that was because I was such a stupid kid that felt very proud for "discovering" wrestling was fake. Being like this as an adult is just pathetic.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Remember when John Stossel called wrestling fake? Or was I a rube, and the resulting beatdown was a fake as well?

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
As a wrestling fan I agree that it's ridiculous. It's almost always cheesy and poorly written, but sometimes I'm in the mood to watch something silly and pro wrestling is my go to for that.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Well, that was disgusting. Even if he was "joking" or playing a heel or whatever, it's still disgusting to use that language and attack the Special Olympics. You can make the same "joke"/play the same asshole without going there.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
That was heaps gross. The "fake" argument is a bit stupid at this point. Most know its fake, the ones that dont are generally the younger fans, but they get immersed in the entertainment it provides and are happy to suspend reality.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
For a craft known to attract naturally very observant people, a lot of comedians are well and truly prejudiced and bigoted, and it always shines through.

So what if wrestling isn't real? Let people enjoy the things they enjoy if it doesn't hurt anyone.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
That's your opinion. I have actually watched his specials and really enjoy his style of comedy. You don't.

is that clip representative of his style of comedy? dated, unoriginal, prejudiced against people with disabilities, painfully unfunny?

like, even if you enjoy most of Segura's stuff, surely you don't think that clip does him any favors?

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is that clip representative of his style of comedy? dated, unoriginal, prejudiced against people with disabilities, painfully unfunny?

like, even if you enjoy most of Segura's stuff, surely you don't think that clip does him any favors?

Nah, his stuff isn't dated at all.

But I am curious, who are your favorite comedians?

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Yeah wrestling is dumb... but it's entertainment. Much more than I can say about this guy's "comedy" which has been forced upon me by Netflix constantly.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
That episode Tom was being a dick in the beginning, before the wrestling rant he was angry at his producer about not setting up a clip he expected to be in the show and said "do you work here?" you can see the serial murder look in his eyes. Even Christina was calling him out what his deal was. He later apologized to the producer and also the bit about wrestling. Joy Koi was also on it, pretty funny.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are so many comedians in this world...and people choose to follow this guy? Like just throw a dart out your window and you'll hit 20 funnier comedians.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
"People that are entertained by things I don't like are inferior" is a terrible take on any subject matter.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i was forced to listen to some of his standup on the ride home in a tow truck when my car broke down.

saying he is funny is maybe uhhhh overexaggerated. he definitely would have been better suited for early 2000s comedy but now its just an old shtick.