• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Sucks that it's gone public that he's in rehab, but I do hope he gets the help that he needs. Hope he recovers and gets better, and I hope he hasn't hurt anyone with his addiction coming back

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Wishing the best for John Mulaney, big fan of his comedy.

He was a big help with Pete Davidson during his troubles, hope others close to him can do the same for him.

There's a tragic element to this that not a lot of people know.

A few days ago someone noticed (in a now deleted) tweet that John Mulaney's wife changed her instagram username to just be "Anna Tendler" instead of "Anna Mulaney" and that she unfollowed him from social media. When people started asking her about it, she deleted her instagram entirely.

It seems his drug abuse destroyed his marriage and now he's finally taking steps to get better. Hoping he pulls through.
Heartbreaking if true.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

A few days ago someone noticed (in a now deleted) tweet that John Mulaney's wife changed her instagram username to just be "Anna Tendler" instead of "Anna Mulaney" and that she unfollowed him from social media. When people started asking her about it, she delted her instagram entirely.

It seems his drug abuse destroyed his marriage and now he's finally taking steps to get better. Hoping he pulls through.
Noooooo, that's sad.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Why is that where your mind goes?

Because I have close friends who have gone from "functional" alcoholics to rehab, lying to themselves and everyone else around them all along the way. I've seen them try to replace one obsession/fixation/addiction with another, and picking up a new job fits that profile.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017

This is totally assumed/guessed based on what you gossiped about before.

Even if time proves it to be true, why spread this? This is stalker shit.

Because I have close friends who have gone from "functional" alcoholics to rehab, lying to themselves and everyone else around them all along the way. I've seen them try to replace one obsession/fixation/addiction with another, and picking up a new job fits that profile.

Years of group therapy have taught me not to speculate/diagnose others motives/intentions for their actions. Keep that to yourself.

Does it need to be said? Does it need to be said by me? Does it need to said by me now?

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Surprised, he acts like he's a straight razor, even has sort of a mid 1900s way of talking during his mostly PG comedy.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how many other people struggling with addiction have relapsed during all this. Doesn't seem like something that's been measured.

My guess is alot. I'm in recovery and during quarantine all the churches were shut down, which meant no NA/AA meetings. You could do zoom meetings but it's not the same as the in person interaction.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Alcoholism and COVID have been an underreported issue in 2020. Quarantining makes addiction even harder for people to fight as it removes a lot of one's coping mechanisms.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Years of group therapy have taught me not to speculate/diagnose others motives/intentions for their actions. Keep that to yourself.

Does it need to be said? Does it need to be said by me? Does it need to said by me now?
Relax. This is a discussion board. We discuss things here.

Wish him the best. He's a fantastic comic.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

A few days ago someone noticed (in a now deleted) tweet that John Mulaney's wife changed her instagram username to just be "Anna Tendler" instead of "Anna Mulaney" and that she unfollowed him from social media. When people started asking her about it, she delted her instagram entirely.

I know some people close to this, and have to ask we keep the speculation to a minimum here. Life is hard enough without the prying eyes.

Oct 25, 2017
wish him the absolute best. The way he would talk about his past problems in his material was always kinda ominous in the alluded scope.

Surprised, he acts like he's a straight razor, even has sort of a mid 1900s way of talking during his mostly PG comedy.

Yes, the very sober time period that was the mid 1900s.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend says that he and his wife have been having issues? Not sure the extent of that being true or not but could be part of this.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

I heard about this but I don't know if it's possible to know what came first between the two events.

Either way I hope he gets the support he needs

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

For me what makes his stand up so enthralling is you can sense that underlying darkness. The whole straight edge act feels like a subversion. A lot of modern comics do nothing else but wallow in their deviant notions.

Oct 29, 2017
I love his standup- really funny guy. I'm glad he's seeking the help he needs- this year has been tough on everyone.

I've struggled with alcohol addiction- but sober for 3 years now. The pandemic has been the first time I've contemplated drinking again- so I can see how he would have relapsed given that his normal job isn't something he can lean back on during this time.
glad to hear that you are toughing it out. You've got this.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
How will publishing this affect his recovery?

That's a good example. A woman trying to move on after being married to a person with addiction issues realizes she can't even have her own Instagram account without being reminded of her life's issues.

Leave people alone please. Talking in public about other people's personal intimacies is damaging.

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
I debated typing this, but after years of talking to people, young and old, who have similar struggles as mine that I help with, I figured I throw something down, just to give an my story and maybe help somebody.

I struggled with mental illness for years. I tried talking to a psychiatrist once, at eighteen, who prescribed me Paxil. I took it, didn't like it, an stopped taking it. From eighteen to 32 I self-medicated and refused to talk about my issues to anybody believing that I was being weak. Textbook toxic masculinity. Men don't hurt, being sad is a weakness, I'm a cry baby, suck it up, blah blah blah.

I won't get into the more bitter details on a message board forum, but I didn't realize or accept I even had an issue until half way to turning 33 I ran into some significant problems, told my parents what I was dealing with, and my dad, who watched my mom go through mental illness issues during earlier years of their marriage, told me "you're coming home and getting help." I was lucky. I had a family to support me, a safe and controlled place to watch what I was doing, short term disability to cover the time off from work, health insurance to cover my psychologist sessions, and my psychologist knew a local psychiatrist that was dedicated to trying different medications and asking details questions over months to properly diagnose what I was dealing with and get me the help I needed.

I don't want to presume anything for anybody's personal struggle except mine and I can say that my addiction to alcohol, legit, could have killed me. It's probably taken years off my life, although my labs are typically good, so who knows. If you're reading this and struggling, it can get better. It's not easy and will take work, but there is a path out besides just going to AA and hoping for the best.

I genuinely worry about how our society treats addiction, because it's different for everybody and I often see the attitude of "just quit." From experience, it's not that easy.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The previous speculation about Anna changing her last name on Instagram was sadly correct. This might be new thread worthy, but it looks like John and his wife are getting a divorce :(

The decision appears to be coming from John, which is sad to see since he always spoke so highly of her in interviews and podcasts, not to mention she was always a source of funny and endearing material in his stand up.

Wishing the best for both of them and Petunia.

His wife's statement is, for a lack of a better word that she used herself, heartbreaking. I hope they're both alright in the long run.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I debated typing this, but after years of talking to people, young and old, who have similar struggles as mine that I help with, I figured I throw something down, just to give an my story and maybe help somebody.

I struggled with mental illness for years. I tried talking to a psychiatrist once, at eighteen, who prescribed me Paxil. I took it, didn't like it, an stopped taking it. From eighteen to 32 I self-medicated and refused to talk about my issues to anybody believing that I was being weak. Textbook toxic masculinity. Men don't hurt, being sad is a weakness, I'm a cry baby, suck it up, blah blah blah.

I won't get into the more bitter details on a message board forum, but I didn't realize or accept I even had an issue until half way to turning 33 I ran into some significant problems, told my parents what I was dealing with, and my dad, who watched my mom go through mental illness issues during earlier years of their marriage, told me "you're coming home and getting help." I was lucky. I had a family to support me, a safe and controlled place to watch what I was doing, short term disability to cover the time off from work, health insurance to cover my psychologist sessions, and my psychologist knew a local psychiatrist that was dedicated to trying different medications and asking details questions over months to properly diagnose what I was dealing with and get me the help I needed.

I don't want to presume anything for anybody's personal struggle except mine and I can say that my addiction to alcohol, legit, could have killed me. It's probably taken years off my life, although my labs are typically good, so who knows. If you're reading this and struggling, it can get better. It's not easy and will take work, but there is a path out besides just going to AA and hoping for the best.

I genuinely worry about how our society treats addiction, because it's different for everybody and I often see the attitude of "just quit." From experience, it's not that easy.
Thanks for sharing. There is no easy path to recovery and, each path is unique.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for this. I've been in a dark place this past year and this helps a lot

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Appreciate you posting this. Glad to hear you're on a better path, brother.