• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
people.com

John Mulaney Has Checked Into Rehab

The comedian has long been open about his struggles with sobriety

John Mulaney has checked into rehab, PEOPLE has confirmed.

The former Saturday Night Live writer, 38, is seeking treatment after relapsing following a decades-long battle with addiction.

Mulaney's rep did not immediately respond to PEOPLE's request for comment. The New York Post's Page Six was the first to report the news.

The comedian, who previously said he started drinking at the age of 13 before later abusing drugs, has been open about his struggles with sobriety.

Mulaney first became sober at the age of 23 without the help of a treatment program.

"I went on a bender that weekend that was just, like, fading in and out of a movie," he told Esquire. "It was just crazy. A weekend that was ... there were ... I'm never going to tell you. That's mine. I didn't kill anyone or assault anyone. But yeah, I was like, 'You're f---ing out of control.' And I thought to myself, 'I don't like this guy anymore. I'm not rooting for him.'"

In his 2012 comedy special New in Town, Mulaney touched on his sobriety, saying it often surprises people when they learn he does not drink.

"I don't drink," he said. "I used to drink, then I drank too much, and I had to stop. That surprises a lot of audiences because I don't look like someone who used to do anything."

I remember a lot of his comedy mentioned alcohol and drug use. Here's hoping he can get healthy again.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Being an addict is really hard. Feels like something you've left behind but it never really is. Rooting for him.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that is a shame, funny dude I hope he finds the help he needs

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many other people struggling with addiction have relapsed during all this. Doesn't seem like something that's been measured.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Aww, didn't know that was something he struggled with. Wish him the best, he's one of my favorite comedians working today

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to him. I have a friend with a drug addiction, and he relapsed this year since he's stuck at home alone with nothing to do. It sucks.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of addicts dedicate themselves to their work, trading off one addiction for another. This year has been really hard for people dedicated to their career.

I hope he gets the help he needs to recover. I hope to see more of his specials in the future or whatever he find solace in.

Oct 29, 2017
My mother had an addiction that while, she recovered from. Ultimately cost her life at 49. I don't wish that pain for anyone or their loved ones. He's an gifted man who was recently harassed by the Secret Service. Maybe in these times we can support one another. Hope he gets the help he needs.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
sad, but good in the end hopefully.

plenty of his bits are about "used to drink" stories and such.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Probably one of the best stand-ups going these days. His Netflix specials are fucking hilarious.

Hope he gets the support he needs

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the funniest comedians working today.

Hope he overcomes this, the world needs more Mulaney.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Always sad to see someone become an addict, but it's also always nice to see someone actually making the move and going into rehab, it can be really hard for most people. Don't really know much about him, but I wish him the best.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see he's taking responsibility, hope he gets sober again. Dude's one of the most consistently funny comedians out there.

Jul 24, 2020
He's been very open with this issue, some admirable stuff.

Of course it is more often than not a life-long problem, so I'm genuinely sad to see he's gotten back into some trouble with it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
the thing I have to wonder is.... he took a temporary gig writing for Late Night With Seth Meyers a couple of months ago. so, er, how did THAT factor into this development, if at all?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Best wishes, John. Hope your struggle eases up quickly.

Fun John Mulaney fact: he's the voice of Spider-Ham in "Into the Spider-Verse".

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
the thing I have to wonder is.... he took a temporary gig writing for Late Night With Seth Meyers a couple of months ago. so, er, how did THAT factor into this development, if at all?
I was wondering if he did that as an attempt to get some structure in his life to distract himself. But too many different variables to speculate.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was wondering if he did that as an attempt to get some structure in his life to distract himself. But too many different variables to speculate.

I had a similar hunch. "Okay, I'm spiraling at home, but I can maintain, let's try this writing gig." Addiction never really ends for addicts, and I'm hopeful he didn't hurt anybody else on his way to actively seeking recovery.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I'm glad he's seeking help. He talked about having mental health issues recently in an interview about why he joined Seth Meyer's show as a writer.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
This year has been absolutely awful for my sobriety and I've been clean for many years. I've been fortunate that I haven't relapsed but it's a struggle.

taco543

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Really glad he saw what he was doing and decided to get clean, he's really funny and a role model. Hope he comes back clean and sober.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Always sad to see someone become an addict, but it's also always nice to see someone actually making the move and going into rehab, it can be really hard for most people. Don't really know much about him, but I wish him the best.

He's been an addict for a very long time, he openly mentions this in his stand-ups.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I wonder how many other people struggling with addiction have relapsed during all this. Doesn't seem like something that's been measured.
I don't have any statistics, but I can say from my personal experience as a therapist working at a treatment facility, there have been many relapses during the pandemic. Frankly, it's been devastating. Recovering addicts need support systems and a lot of those support systems just aren't there right now. Zoom meetings suck ass.

Anyway, Mulaney is one of my favorite comedians working now. I truly hope he gets the help he needs for his recovery.

ragolliangatan

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 31, 2019
I love his standup- really funny guy. I'm glad he's seeking the help he needs- this year has been tough on everyone.

I've struggled with alcohol addiction- but sober for 3 years now. The pandemic has been the first time I've contemplated drinking again- so I can see how he would have relapsed given that his normal job isn't something he can lean back on during this time.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely wonder sometimes when society is going to hit that point of realising how pointless and harmful drugs and alcohol are. I don't mean this from a legal perspective (obviously the war on drugs hasn't stopped anything) in terms of throwing people in jail or whatever, but I guess more so with how things shifted with smoking.

It's honestly hard to fathom how much human suffering has occurred as the result of drug and alcohol abuse. Millions abused, raped, murdered, hit by cars, assaulted, etc, etc, etc, let alone the psychological toll and immeasurable economic toll on health care systems and even just individuals pockets.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, I like John Mulaney and it sucks he's going through this, hopefully he can get better. Stand up comedy obviously isn't the best environment for dealing with this, and of course the question of how in the world he was able to start drinking at age 13. He's talked about how he was basically a latchkey kid right?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it goes well for him. I just got into his stand up a few weeks ago and really liked it.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's a tragic element to this that not a lot of people know.

A few days ago someone noticed (in a now deleted) tweet that John Mulaney's wife changed her instagram username to just be "Anna Tendler" instead of "Anna Mulaney" and that she unfollowed him from social media. When people started asking her about it, she delted her instagram entirely.

It seems his drug abuse destroyed his marriage and now he's finally taking steps to get better. Hoping he pulls through.