• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This never would have happened with a box of French Toast Crunch, the only Toast Crunch that's permitted entry into this household.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been talking about this a lot with friends in the food industry.

They are pretty confident based on the details of the story that this did not occur in the factory. Factory floors for food are extremely regulated and controlled and cross contamination with something as foreign and exotic as shrimp on a line that produces breakfast cereal is not conceivable. The only explanation for that would be if an employee was carrying around debris in their pocket and then in one of the final phases of production tossed that debris onto the conveyor. If this happened it would be on camera so we'll find out about that.

They think the actual explanation is that it's from the retail store. This picture strongly contributes to that conclusion:

https://twitter.com/JensenKarp/status/1374187045279518720?s=20

As well as this picture, which despite his belief they are "cooked in" to the squares are likely just absorbed due to the transfer or moisture:
https://twitter.com/JensenKarp/status/1374364960210309128?s=20

He shows that it's a family pack with multiple bags, which is the kind of bulk packaging you find at wholesale stores like Costco, Sam's Club, and BJs.

These large warehouse stores are famous for their sampling stands around the store. Frequently these samples are frozen food - usually chicken or fish (including shrimp).
58d003d6f2d03322008b477d

It is pretty clear that at one of these bulk stores, which are prone to pests, a rodent hoarded refuse (a leaf, a string, shrimp tails) it found in the store in to the cereal box where it also left feces. For some reason that defies explanation, someone at the store found the damaged bag and sealed with with tape and placed it back on the shelf.

So while the Cinnamon Toast Crunch response on Twitter is totally unacceptable, this is almost certainly not a factory issue and happened at the retail level. It is the only explanation for the type of contaminants and the repaired state of the bag.

God I love the internet so much

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah okay. He just happened to have one bag with shrimp and another with dental floss. This reeks.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Not that I don't 100% agree with your point here on reducing oversight being bad. But they are an FDA inspected facility and still get annual visits from state and federal inspectors. There has been no decrease in oversight on that end. I think you are thinking of the push for fewer inspectors in USDA facilities like poultry processing.

Fair. I do wonder, but that doesn't mean I should baselessly speculate, thanks for your clarification.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think he's trying to defraud General Mills but it's going to get clicks by making hay with it.

Couldn't the company sue him then for lies and slander through a hoax? I know random joes try to fake this stuff and get money out of it, but if he has a brand, then it could ruin his reputation for faking it (plus possibly getting sued).

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A truly terrifying thing we don't talk abut enough is how much food prod. safety relies on some dude not just dropping shit into the mix. I used to work for a small gourmet food company and one of our products relied on a worker actually adding a bucket of stuff to a hopper where it got mixed into the product. One day the dude at the factory got in a fight with his boss and just fucked off, resulting in a product that was missing it's namesake ingredient. It could have easily gone another way.

There's a lot of sampling, QC, metal detection etc that goes into this but the chaos factor of human beings tossing shit into the product is very real

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't the company sue him then for lies and slander through a hoax? I know random joes try to fake this stuff and get money out of it, but if he has a brand, then it could ruin his reputation for faking it (plus possibly getting sued).
I would think so. And if he actually did this himself, Costco and General Mills lawyers will sue him into the ground.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I would think so. And if he actually did this himself, Costco and General Mills lawyers will sue him into the ground.

Yeah, that's why I lean towards "real", since faking these sort of hoaxes sure don't help anyone. Most cases of random people creating "rat in food" hoaxes, sure don't end up in their favor :/ But yes, sometimes these things DO actually happen. This is just an odd one because of all the strange bits involved in 2 separate bags.

Hexnest

Sep 18, 2020
There have been times when I've taken a bite out of my Honey Bunches of Oats that I've almost vomited because of a weird fishy taste. It was from a box that I had just bought, too.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Is there such a thing as counterfeit breakfast cereal?

Regardless, General Mills needs to find out where this box was purchased and seize the entire lot to look for contamination. If it's legit, there's no chance it was isolated to this one box given the level of what's there.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
A truly terrifying thing we don't talk abut enough is how much food prod. safety relies on some dude not just dropping shit into the mix. I used to work for a small gourmet food company and one of our products relied on a worker actually adding a bucket of stuff to a hopper where it got mixed into the product. One day the dude at the factory got in a fight with his boss and just fucked off, resulting in a product that was missing it's namesake ingredient. It could have easily gone another way.

There's a lot of sampling, QC, metal detection etc that goes into this but the chaos factor of human beings tossing shit into the product is very real
New regulations are really focused on food defense and food fraud, but in the end it comes down to training. There will always be a person factor (i had a disgruntles employee throw a spatula into a mixer once) but the goal is to minimize this.

Equipment guards, limited access to areas or equipment, additional safety detection. I've done everything from air sorting foreign material, to x-ray every bottle coming down the line. But keeping people from fucking up is a forever struggle.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
After the human finger found in Wendy's chili incident from years ago, I am skeptical of these types of claims.

With that person, she was caught on criminal charges involved money, so looks like she tried to get some money out of Wendy's by faking the whole finger incident. I'm guessing this guy would have a lot to lose if he was faking it for Twitter followers, with that woman already in trouble on money issues.
It was later discovered that she had previously filed numerous lawsuits against various retail establishments.
So there's a it of a difference with intent.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
With that person, she was caught on criminal charges involved money, so looks like she tried to get some money out of Wendy's by faking the whole finger incident. I'm guessing this guy would have a lot to lose if he was faking it for Twitter followers, with that woman already in trouble on money issues. So there's a it of a difference with intent.
I agree the Wendy's woman was more suspect in general, but if this guy is a comedian he does gain a lot from developing a larger twitter following.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I agree the Wendy's woman was more suspect in general, but if this guy is a comedian he does gain a lot from developing a larger twitter following.

Not if it creates a loss of millions of revenue for General Mills, like if it did for Wendys on a false claim. I mean, if Twitter followers are more important that possibly being sued for a hoax, then that would be some priority right there.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Not if it creates a loss of millions of revenue for General Mills, like if it did for Wendys on a false claim. I mean, if Twitter followers are more important that possibly being sued for a hoax, then that would be some priority right there.
Yeah, it would be a dumb plot, but that hasn't stopped people before, heh.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah okay. He just happened to have one bag with shrimp and another with dental floss. This reeks.

It was a two pack, not just two random winning boxes he picked.

I know the internet has taught us all to trust nothing, but the only thing weirder than finding shrimp tails, floss, and rat droppings in a box of cereal would be putting putting shrimp tails, floss, and rat droppings into a box of cereal.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It was a two pack, not just two random winning boxes he picked.

I know the internet has taught us all to trust nothing, but the only thing weirder than finding shrimp tails, floss, and rat droppings in a box of cereal would be putting putting shrimp tails, floss, and rat droppings into a box of cereal.
Why does he need FOUR "Do Not Eat" post-it notes on a single box of cereal?

More importantly, why do I care that he used four post-it notes?

On topic: This screams scam to me. You found a box with shrimp and animal droppings? Okay, Jan.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
When did we decide to start saying "gaslight," again? I still don't understand what it means and it's annoying whenever it pops up. Use real words.
The term comes from a play (and later movie) named "Gaslight" --

51kyTd%2Bv8%2BL._AC_.jpg

The term originates in the systematic psychological manipulation of a victim by her husband in Patrick Hamilton's 1938 stage play Gas Light,[5] and the film adaptations released in 1940 and 1944.[6] In the story, the husband attempts to convince his wife and others that she is insane by manipulating small elements of their environment and insisting that she is mistaken, remembering things incorrectly, or delusional when she points out these changes.

So it's a single word way of describing a very specific form of lying. That's why the term has caught on.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...You're on the internet already, Google it. Gaslight is a real word that has been used in psychology for decades.

Was the joke intentional? I ask because 'Google' as a verb and 'gaslight' as a verb were coined in exactly the same way.
EDIT: Wow, my timing was shit.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
On topic: This screams scam to me. You found a box with shrimp and animal droppings? Okay, Jan.

The theory is the droppings are from the critter that brought the string and shrimp tails.

Believing it or not, it is an odd situation. Either this stuff was in a box of cereal, which would be weird. Or someone put it in there for attention, which I would personally find even weirder. I just don't see Topanga and her boyfriend cooking up some rat shit cinnamon toast crunch.

Plus, the company involved instantly claiming we are all seeing a sugar illusion and not actual shrimp tails immediately gets me to not trust them.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
three pounds of cinnamon toast crunch. frankly even with the rat shit i bet that's a good deal.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would have been a lot simpler to go, sorry Jen, we'll look into it! And then not really look into it and later say how they're not sure it's possible. Give some spiel about how great they're factory conditions are and they'll keep a look out.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's amazing. I'm onboard for Cinnamon Shrimp Chrunch. Bring it on, probably delicious.

Side note: I hate the fucking use of "Gaslighting" for everything. Gaslighting is psychological manipulation, usually in an abusive relationship... not always in an abusive relationship, but most appropriately. Would Cinnamon Toast Crunch really cause you to question your sanity? Are you in that close of a relationship with Captain Crunch that your sense of self is being shattered by them @'ing you on Twitter? No. It's just a corporate account replying to you and theorizing why they think shrimp got into your cereal... And like others guessed, it's probably from the supermarket. Cinnamon Toast Crunch probably should have just replied "We're investigating this and want to ensure you there's no way shrimp got in your cereal," but that doesn't make it gaslighting... Unless your relationship with the cinnamon toast crunch old man baker mascot is like really, really unhealthy.

Be forewarned, if you disagree with me and reply I'm going to accuse you of gaslighting me.

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

They are pretty confident based on the details of the story that this did not occur in the factory. Factory floors for food are extremely regulated and controlled and cross contamination with something as foreign and exotic as shrimp on a line that produces breakfast cereal is not conceivable. The only explanation for that would be if an employee was carrying around debris in their pocket and then in one of the final phases of production tossed that debris onto the conveyor. If this happened it would be on camera so we'll find out about that.

They think the actual explanation is that it's from the retail store. This picture strongly contributes to that conclusion:

As well as this picture, which despite his belief they are "cooked in" to the squares are likely just absorbed due to the transfer or moisture:

He shows that it's a family pack with multiple bags, which is the kind of bulk packaging you find at wholesale stores like Costco, Sam's Club, and BJs.

These large warehouse stores are famous for their sampling stands around the store. Frequently these samples are frozen food - usually chicken or fish (including shrimp).
58d003d6f2d03322008b477d

It is pretty clear that at one of these bulk stores, which are prone to pests, a rodent hoarded refuse (a leaf, a string, shrimp tails) it found in the store in to the cereal box where it also left feces. For some reason that defies explanation, someone at the store found the damaged bag and sealed with with tape and placed it back on the shelf.

So while the Cinnamon Toast Crunch response on Twitter is totally unacceptable, this is almost certainly not a factory issue and happened at the retail level. It is the only explanation for the type of contaminants and the repaired state of the bag.

This makes sense, except for the part where someone sealed the bag with tape and put it back tbh.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

58d003d6f2d03322008b477d

This is probably overkill, so I apologize, but this is kind of my bread and butter.

I also work in the food industry and your friends are being too generous. I've even been to, audited, and worked with cereal facilities. In fact, I used to make a product for General Mills and have been through their audits!

So to address some points:
  • They are pretty confident based on the details of the story that this did not occur in the factory.
    • Details so far to me seem to indicate it came from the facility.
  • Factory floors for food are extremely regulated and controlled and cross contamination with something as foreign and exotic as shrimp on a line that produces breakfast cereal is not conceivable.
    • Like you said right after, someone would have had to drop it in there. So it is conceivable. I've had to investigate antidepressant pills in dog food, and it was this exact situation. Someone kept junk in their pocket and it fell out into a production line. Their lines have multiple open areas for coating, and toasting where I could see this happen.
    • Floors have standards, but they are not controlled to that extent. All industry GMP (good manufacturing practices) standards say no food or drink on the production floor. Trust me, this is not always followed. I've walked in on people having their lunch above food production lines.
    • Add on to that allergen controls and foreign material controls. They really don't have controls outside metal detectors after their tumble/coating process.
  • If this happened it would be on camera so we'll find out about that.
    • Hopefully! Regardless, there will be some corrective actions around this at their plant.

All that is to say, I don't think a rodent nest is outside the picture. But having dealt with those as well, rodents use large amounts of ripped up cardboard and paper to make nests, and then leave sizable holes. He would have gotten a box with a hole in it. The black stuff looks like burnt material more than anything.

We are also skipping over General Mills own warehousing and Costco warehousing.
Finale Firework vs. skeptem

phoenix-thinking-a.gif
edgeworth-pointing-b.gif

Whose reasoning will win out in the end? =O

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I'm questioning why a Costco employee would go through all the trouble of taping and resealing a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch once he realized that the bag had a hole in it. Surely he had to see the little black droppings?

Why not just toss it out lol

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Why does he need FOUR "Do Not Eat" post-it notes on a single box of cereal?

More importantly, why do I care that he used four post-it notes?

One time I found a mouse in my garage. He found a source of food (big bag of peanuts), chewed through a corner, and basically just moved into it. It was full of all sorts of stuff I assumed he was using as bedding, all the scraps from what he'd been eating, and plenty of poop. It was kinda cute to be honest.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's been over 10 years since I worked at a grocery store, but taping up damaged boxes was a pretty normal thing that the floor crew would do. Normally it was only the exterior boxes that would get taped up; if a bag containing food was damaged, you'd waste that shit. However, I worked with a lot of drug addicts and imbeciles, so it doesn't surprise me that someone would see a ripped cereal bag and think it's okay to just tape it up and sell it.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Well this sure isn't a Kellogg's level quality response because it sounds like General Mills wouldn't know rabbit turds from Rice Krispies. "Snap Crackle Poop!"

Nov 17, 2017
While the company social media person didn't make a good response, I assume they probably were initially dismissive because it was posted on Twitter by a comedian and they thought maybe they were just bullshitting for laughs, retweets, etc.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I worked at Costco for a while. Not sure about all stores, but we had a re-wrap station for re-packaging returns or stuff that just had the packaging messed up somehow, normally non-edible items. At my store the re-wrap station is in the back of the store in some corner. The station has stuff like packing tape, shrink wrap thing with a heater, as well as other things for repacking. My guess is a disgruntled employee was working re-wraps and did some shenanigans. It would be fairly easy to do it with no one noticing.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The theory is the droppings are from the critter that brought the string and shrimp tails.

Believing it or not, it is an odd situation. Either this stuff was in a box of cereal, which would be weird. Or someone put it in there for attention, which I would personally find even weirder. I just don't see Topanga and her boyfriend cooking up some rat shit cinnamon toast crunch.

Plus, the company involved instantly claiming we are all seeing a sugar illusion and not actual shrimp tails immediately gets me to not trust them.

The company's claims make it hard for me to believe this is fake. Unless the company gets this a LOT and are sick of it. You'd think they'd just play it safe and go 'That is very concerning. We pride ourselves in the safety of our product at all points in its distribution from our factory to the store shelves. We will DM you for more information' and then DM them asking for the store location and time purchased and leave it be. It's baffling why they just didn't do that.

I'm questioning why a Costco employee would go through all the trouble of taping and resealing a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch once he realized that the bag had a hole in it. Surely he had to see the little black droppings?

Why not just toss it out lol
It's been over 10 years since I worked at a grocery store, but taping up damaged boxes was a pretty normal thing that the floor crew would do. Normally it was only the exterior boxes that would get taped up; if a bag containing food was damaged, you'd waste that shit. However, I worked with a lot of drug addicts and imbeciles, so it doesn't surprise me that someone would see a ripped cereal bag and think it's okay to just tape it up and sell it.

I don't work in food retail but we still toss anything that's damaged beyond repair or unlikely to sell without a steep discount after being returned (I've thrown away a LOT of used food containers and bento boxes...). It's surprising to me that it's worth anyone's time to fix that sort of thing up considering the possible issues later on if its contaminated.