• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Finally worked up the nerve to start HRT, but nobody around me is accepting new patients until the virus is over. I know in the grand scheme of things this is pretty small, but it was supposed to be something more momentous. I really wanted to get the ball rolling.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Moved for an amazing new job, bough a new house, put mine for sale...and this happened. Froze the market, stuck with two houses.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
I switched jobs a little over a year ago, which has been a blessing in disguise (as the old job was built around traveling to hospitals). I'm now working for a hospital system in the IT area, so my new position is pretty secure. And they're letting us WFH now, which I enjoy.

On the annoying side... My mom made me a mask, but I wear glasses - so my glasses get foggy when I go out and have to wear the mask. I can't really complain though; I've just made some lucky choices.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Switched jobs at the exact wrong time and now my enumerator position won't start until August at the earliest, so I'm delivering pizzas until then. I'm super bummed about my favorite Asian place shutting down, especially since they weren't doing great even during the best of times.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Boyfriend of 3.5 years, whom I loved more deeply and passionately than I've ever loved anyone, decided to dump me back in mid-January. Since about a month or so of horrible, not-being-able-to-get-out-of-bed grieving, I've been in critical need of the company and comfort of friends as a means of helping to process my grief.

Unfortunately, because of the virus, this has simply not been an option. Instead, I get to sit home 24/7 and stew in my grief. Yay.

(Yes, I've been able to interact with my friends virtually a little bit over the internet during this time, which is something. Unfortunately, though, the type of "friends" I have aren't very good at paying much attention to me unless it's in person.)

Marven

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Illinois
My company might go under due to the virus. Our customers are senior activity centers, so it's going to be a very long time before they are back up and running. I'm worried we're not going to make it that long. Plus the fact we had to take a 20% pay cut, so I'm likely going to have to use a lot of my savings to survive. Which is something I'll need if/when we go under. Also we laid off a person i helped get this job and this was their only income. Not to mention his wife is a vet who was injured during training and still has major issues due to it. So I feel guilty still having my job. Plus my parents, aunts, and uncles are all in the high risk age range.

I try not to think too much about all of that and just focus on my work gaming, and so on, but that only works so much.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
I'm single and live by myself in a house that is on the opposite side of the country as my parents and siblings. Both of my parents and one of my siblings ended up getting the virus, but are recovering now. It's been tough being so far away from them while they've been going through all of that. I've been trying to keep myself entertained through TV and video games. I've also tried to have "theme days" around the house. Harry Potter day, Pirate day, Star Wars day, etc...

I also work in the aviation industry and that has its own set of challenges. I'm "essential", so I still have a job. But that is only guaranteed until September. In the meantime my hours/pay have been cut and the entire country has turned against us because we received some bailout assistance. I don't think everyone understands all that we do outside of just moving passengers around. I've personally been involved in flights that delivered literal tons of PPE to hard hit areas.

Oh well, we will see what happens as time goes on...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This thread puts into perspective how petty and selfish my own concerns in quarantine are. Thanks to all of you, and hoping you all stay safe and heal in time.

Dec 7, 2018
Well, I've been completely alone in Rome since march 2nd, because I took my girlfriend and 8 months son back to Sicily a few days before the lockdown started.

Work has slowed down a LOT aswell, so my mind isn't even busy for most of the day, and the novelty of being able to play a lot of videogames and online poker kinda died down by the end of March.

Well, as you can imagine this situation sucks, and I'm not even seeing my son growing up, but i have no other choice other than resist and keep myself Busy as much as I can.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
For me it's pretty much been normal life. No movies or dinners or shit but I'm fine, can still go out on walks and such.

Those around me and dear friends who have it much worse, it's been devastating for. Awful to see and there is just about nothing you can do to help when they just wanna be able to freely go for a walk or the gym.

When all your outlets are cut off.. you are left with a big pile of nothing and your own anguish and anger

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My team just had a huge layoff. It went from a 10 person developer team to a 4 person developer team. I was chosen to stay, luckily, but it's still a pretty sad situation.

Oct 25, 2017
2019 was so bad for me as my wife asked for a separation, then I found out she was unfaithful to me leading up to the separation. I had to move into a tiny little NYC apartment 20 blocks away from her (so that going back and forth alternating days with our three year old son would be manageable), thinking it would only be temporary before I knew about the infidelity, but now I'm stuck here with a crappy low-paying job (which I know, I should be thankful for having at all now) with no way out of this situation, and worried that my diabetic 76 year old mom in California is gonna die either from coronavirus or diabetes since she refuses to eat properly. Depression has been really bad but trying to keep it together for my son while we go through this divorce. Being away from everyone and cooped up in this sunless apartment kind of sucks.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For me it's pretty much been normal life. No movies or dinners or shit but I'm fine, can still go out on walks and such.

Those around me and dear friends who have it much worse, it's been devastating for. Awful to see and there is just about nothing you can do to help when they just wanna be able to freely go for a walk or the gym.

When all your outlets are cut off.. you are left with a big pile of nothing and your own anguish and anger
I am about the same. I am pretty well off, but others I know are really struggling.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Kills me not to be able to be what my family and just have dinner. Laugh. Talk shit, get angry, reconcile. I'm also very afraid for my mom who started to work again last week. Her job is really taking it seriously and giving them all they need to protect themselves but it's still a public job so there's always a risk. I miss my colleagues, and my routine. I like to just wake up and lose myself in an audiobook for 30 minutes during my commute. But now it's work from home. It's safe and all, but I still miss it.

Also haven't had sex in about 2 months. Considering the situation, this will be my reality for a long, long time. Like I get it's not a life threatening problem, my life isn't at risk, I didn't lose my job nor am I at risk to. But it's still something that is really getting to me and just makes everything more real. I miss women.

All in all, as you can see, I'm having it pretty good and I know others are living through hell right now. I'm in no way comparing my situations with people who are having it tough, but these things are why the situation sucks for me currently.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
for me i would just like to go to a movie again, go out to eat again, watch some baseball, meet with friends. Our friends had to cancel their sons 4th birthday party and we had to cancel our daughters 4th birthday party. And this year was literally the first year we were going to throw her a party.

I feel most bad for my wife though. She hasn't had a proper vacation in years. Last year in january she was supposed to go to barbados with her mom while i watched the kids. Instead her mom had a heart attack so she had to leave early and basically saved her moms life in barbados. Then last summer we went to michigan and not one day there she finds out her mom had a really bad reaction to surgery and almost died again, so she had to leave our vacation to go to NY. And this friday we were scheduled to go on a cruise. It would have been my first cruise and her first cruise since she was a teen.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
OP thanks for this topic my situation is a lot better than most but it's really starting to affect my mental health. I actually started a new job on March 23rd and it's been really tough. I was brought on as the first remote member of my team (lol) but it's been a lot to learn and a lot of pressure. Being new and not really knowing if you are doing a good job and also knowing that if you fail you can't find another job has been really stressful. My in-laws also lost their jobs and my mom wasn't working before so my husband and I are on the line to help them out as needed as well.

Because I have been working 10-12 hour days I'm just drained physically so the weekends are just a time to sleep and then do it all again. My anxiety is through the room and I've had to be put on meds for it. I'm really concerned for my mental health as this continues to drag on to who knows when.

I try to keep the perspective that a) I am still working b) I'm not sick c) other people have it worse to keep me pushing but it's been really challenging. Thanks for this I just needed to vent a little I guess. It's a tough time for everyone and I am trying to keep my issues in perspective.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
I broke my ankle in mid Feb, so I've been house bound and isolated since then. The most unfortunate part was the day I felt up to going back into the office (after working from home) was the day everything started popping off. I got out of the house for a day before isolation began in earnest. I just wanna go to a restaurant with friends again, ever. Some human contact would be nice too. The way the days bleed into one another is startling too.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Miss going out and seeing friends and family, but it could be a lot worse.

I feel the most for those financially affected. That's a ton of people. I'm very fortunate to be able to work from home and have enough savings that it hasn't affected me at all. I've left my house 4 times in the last month and while that is annoying, I'm not about to start crying about it.

Saw someone complaining about being on edge because they've had to watch their 2 year old child non stop. FOH.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Came in to work today, after working at home for 3 weeks. It was surreal, seeing everyone in masks, getting my temperature taken at the door of the building before being allowed to go in.

I'm not sure if things will ever go back to normal. The office is quiet, and I'm not really that surprised that productivity has been mantained since people aren't just walking around talking. I hope they keep teleworking around in the future.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Caught the virus a little over a month ago in NYC before the shut down (was literally bar hopping and clubbing in the middle of March), so I'm in a weird position where I'm now immune but still feel obligated to follow all the social distancing practices so as not to be judged by everyone around me.
Are you immune?

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anybody is immune to it. Even those that recover.
I don't think it is known 100%, but people are likely immune once they've had it. The other viruses in that family causes immunity I believe. The WHO put out something a few days ago that caused some confusion that they later clarified. I think they're just trying to reduce the idea of immunity passports. This is the clarification.

twitter.com

World Health Organization (WHO) on Twitter

“Earlier today we tweeted about a new WHO scientific brief on "immunity passports". The thread caused some concern & we would like to clarify: We expect that most people who are infected with #COVID19 will develop an antibody response that will provide some level of protection.”

Last edited:

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
My life hasn't been impacted a ton so far since I'm a home-body anyways, other than my job is now working from home as opposed to going into the office. I don't like going out anywhere right now, my food is dwindling and I need to hit up a store but I'm avoiding it as much as possible.

The biggest impact for me has been my travel plans for the year. I was supposed to be at Disney World right now and was hoping to go back to Japan in the Fall. So yeah it sucks but my situation is not even on the radar compared to others who are actually struggling.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I'm an introvert in an extroverts body and my weekends are dead. I'm being super annoying to my introvert boyfriend cause I need a lot of attention. I was this close to exchanging contact info with my friends I made at our first improv class before shutdown

You'll get the chance again. Improv friends are definitely some interesting friends...

Personally I should just have got back from Japan around about now. I'm on my balcony having a beer and a smoke listening to the various mini parties on an unusual Kings Day. Missing out on those things this year isn't the end of the world but it concerns me that this could be a multiple year thing. I don't really fancy burning too many years on this protolife.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Really really bored but yeah honestly not a big deal compared to what others are experiencing due to this virus.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
My work only has work from home orders in place until the end of this week. I am extremely fucking nervous that I'll have to go back to work when this shit is far from dying down because the idiotic US government won't take advice from medical professionals and instead just cares about the their stock prices.

I wish the information regarding government re-openings was more concise and somewhere I could track and understand. Instead everything seems so fucking vague, like I have to wait until last minute to know what is even going on anymore.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It made me realize how broken my barometer for suffering is after years of repressing my anxiety/depression/sadness/dysphoria because I feel fine during the day but have a full-blown body-shakin panic attack before bed every other night lately lmao

Oct 29, 2017
You'll get the chance again. Improv friends are definitely some interesting friends...

Personally I should just have got back from Japan around about now. I'm on my balcony having a beer and a smoke listening to the various mini parties on an unusual Kings Day. Missing out on those things this year isn't the end of the world but it concerns me that this could be a multiple year thing. I don't really fancy burning too many years on this protolife.
Yeah there is that small growing feeling of discontent thinking that this may be a normal. I miss going to the store and not being stressed about ppe. Missing a trip stinks.

Oct 17, 2018
Pretty sad about it. Was meant to have a date with a girl I've been talking to for a fair while (since like November) but because of lockdown it can't happen until after.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I have a birthday next month, and missed out on two events I had tickets for (no refunds happening likely ;___; ), I miss my friends and family something fierce, and on top of all that my partner and I are still going in to work. Surviving but shit sucks so bad.

But we'll get through this!

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Even as an introvert it sucks, but I can definitely handle it. Just be sure to take care of yourself mentally.

My birthday's tomorrow but I wasn't really going to do anything, maybe just get a nice ass cake.

I guess it's not bad being single as I don't have to entertain anyone else at this time

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
In the grand scheme of things I am lucky. My industry is for now actually doing better (mobile games) with everyone staying at home and I can work from home. As a type one diabetic with high blood pressure I am completely avoiding going out except to buy food, as Sweden seems to think me getting infected would be for the good of everyone.

But there are downsides. I live in a different country to my entire family, my Parents are in their 70s and both have illnesses that make them high risk cases. Luckily I don't have any friends or family that have died, but I have friends and family that can't say the same thing.

But the worst thing is that I met someone last summer when she was travelling through Europe. She has decided ot move to Sweden and has applied, but that sort of thing was always going to take ages and will now take an age more. She can be here for 90 out of every 180 days in the meantime, but the next period started in late March and, well, obviously that isn't happening. We last saw each other on January 6th.

Everything was perfectly timed for the maximum amount of fucking with my relationship.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well it sucks for a very large variety of obvious reasons that have already been mentioned so I won't go over those. But I'll be selfish and admit my own personal small fry problems.

Like not being able to go to my favorite restaurants or not being able to find the food I usually enjoy eating.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Caught the virus a little over a month ago in NYC before the shut down (was literally bar hopping and clubbing in the middle of March), so I'm in a weird position where I'm now immune but still feel obligated to follow all the social distancing practices so as not to be judged by everyone around me.

You are not immune, people who have gotten it are getting it again.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I had just met an amazing woman through fucking FB dating of all places back in February. We lived two hours apart, but had already met each other about 5 times before shit started getting bad.

Her work was making her drive over an hour to another restaurant that was still open when things started shutting down. The stress was getting to her, being a single mother of 3, and it became quite clear she couldn't deal with me on the side seeing as how we live so far away and who knows when we'll get back to normal. Bout my luck I suppose. 😆

Also, my child has CF, and honestly, I look forward to this time of year because I coach Little League. We don't get out much once flu season hits, so this is "our time", and it's been taken away. I realize my problems are pretty minuscule on the whole compared to most, but this has been a double whammy on my overall mental health which I struggle with anyways. Being a single dad to a sick child sucks in normal times, much less right now.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
As someone that still has to work like nothing is happening since all this started: dear paisanos del norte (especially Monterrey and Tijuana) and US citizens... STOP. DRINKING. SO. MUCH. FUCKING. BEER! We are understaffed (with a lot of "resigns"), underpayed, unrested and working full capacity!

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
This whole thing's made my already shitty situation even worse. The loneliness is unreal.

Yet I still have the feeling I'll be stuck in solitary confinement for another two months at minimum.

Oct 28, 2018
You are not immune, people who have gotten it are getting it again.

Nope, this is a myth that unfortunately has been perpetuated by misleading news headlines. Early studies are showing near 100% antibody protection. The question is how long the immunity lasts, but there's no reason at this point to believe that it's less than a year at absolute minimum.

abcnews.go.com

Revealing S. Korean studies show antibodies could thwart COVID-19 reinfection, spread

Results from two new South Korean studies shed light on whether antibodies will be a reliable form of protection against COVID-19 for those who have recovered.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, this is a myth that unfortunately has been perpetuated by misleading news headlines. Early studies are showing near 100% antibody protection. The question is how long the immunity lasts, but there's no reason at this point to believe that it's less than a year at absolute minimum.

abcnews.go.com

Revealing S. Korean studies show antibodies could thwart COVID-19 reinfection, spread

Results from two new South Korean studies shed light on whether antibodies will be a reliable form of protection against COVID-19 for those who have recovered.

www.npr.org

'No Evidence' Yet That Recovered COVID-19 Patients Are Immune, WHO Says

The World Health Organization warned against "immunity passports," which allow travel only to recovered patients, saying studies must first confirm whether people are indeed safe from reinfection.

So they are wrong?

Dec 31, 2017
Michigan went into lockdown 3 days before I was taking my family out to dinner.

I haven't seen my brother dad or sister/niece/nephew in more than a month.

I'm unable to work on my house. The plumber can't get supplies to replace my vent stack.

My father has been helping me out up ceilings/close drywall. He's 73 and I don't want to risk him.

My brother says he's worried about him. His sleep schedule has been fucked up and he's going stir crazy not having anywhere to go or a project to work on.

I've out on weight/my blood pressure has spiked sense the pool was closed. I've sense bought bike/elliptical but nothing puts your body through the wringer like swimming.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
www.npr.org

'No Evidence' Yet That Recovered COVID-19 Patients Are Immune, WHO Says

The World Health Organization warned against "immunity passports," which allow travel only to recovered patients, saying studies must first confirm whether people are indeed safe from reinfection.

So they are wrong?
They cleared that up later in the day. They are basically advocating against immunity passports. That makes sense. They went about it in a very clumsy way that led to this misunderstanding. By all accounts, you'll be immune for a year+ once you recover. That lines up with similar viruses.

twitter.com

“Earlier today we tweeted about a new WHO scientific brief on "immunity passports". The thread caused some concern & we would like to clarify: We expect that most people who are infected with #COVID19 will develop an antibody response that will provide some level of protection.”

Oct 28, 2018
They cleared that up later in the day. They are basically advocating against immunity passports. That makes sense. They went about it in a very clumsy way that led to this misunderstanding. By all accounts, you'll be immune for a year+ once you recover. That lines up with similar viruses.

twitter.com

Yeah this. I also think people need to understand that while specifics are impossible to technically prove this early on, there are patterns and behaviors that virologists can predict with almost near certainty (and have done so in many interviews I've seen). Context is important when presenting this info to the public, something the media has absolutely failed to do with clickbait headlines.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
The worst of it, my father looks sooooo scared. He had health problems twice since last december, 24 days total stuck in a hospital... he told my mom " ï'm not strong as you guys... not anymore" fucking rips my heart out.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Reading all of these posts... I guess my issues aren't that significant. I'm doing fine financially and working from home isn't a huge problem. This situation actually gave me a breather in terms of deadlines and requirements, so it's not all bad. My family's fine as they're half way across the Earth in regions with little/low # of new cases.

But mentally and emotionally I'm a total mess... I've been trying to meet new people just before the stay-at-home, as I'm here in a new environment. Still somewhat trying to keep in touch and adapt, but it's definitely tough when we can't meet and everything's falling apart. Depressive mood swings and panic attacks every week; my parents are concerned since I haven't had that many panic attacks in quick succession since ~2012. Just need to hang in there for a week or two, then (hopefully) most of my major stressors will be gone. I have a few things to look forward to in May and they're the only beacon of hope pulling me through these few months of insane grad school work. If those things in May work out, even partially, I'll (probably) be the happiest person on Earth. No guarantees though; I'm actually pretty pessimistic about it, but I gotta hang on by the thread or I'll break down completely. There are still tons of responsibilities to fulfill before that, so I have to continue. But I'm convinced and determined to hang in there, at least until May.

Stay strong everyone.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Working at home with a 2 and 4 years old boy. My girlfriend is fighting depression since 4 month, and all these event doesn't help in anything. I'm tired, i'm so tired of all this....