• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Lol. Like googling what's wrong with you health-wise! "I don't need to go to the doctors. Pfft. I'll just Google it and cure myself of whatever ailment I have right now." <- now said person is better than a doctor šŸ˜†

The level of disillusion these Twitter "lawyers" have is astounding. They're literally saying and believing that the actual Lawyers on Twitter don't know what they're actually talking about! The gall(s?) of these Anime "fans". Wow.
Funny you say that because I've seen and heard the "Doctor's are scams because I know my health better than them" argument and how they can just do the same thing themselves and such. Each time was both hilarious and very concerning because of how completely delusional the arguments were. Much like these examples in this thread.

Deleted member 54469

User requested account closure
Mar 4, 2019
like gamers, anime fans ensure that i will never go public with my interests. at least i already have a significant other who fucks with the same stuff i do so i'm kinda good.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Just calling them anime fans feels a bit too broad. A lot of the people who came into this were Comicsgaters, and had no idea who Vic Mignogna was before this whole thing started. They're mostly sexists, incels, and alt-right degenerates.

Yeah, anime fans divide on this along the same lines that other fandoms might, the shitbags versus the others.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just calling them anime fans feels a bit too broad. A lot of the people who came into this were Comicsgaters, and had no idea who Vic Mignogna was before this whole thing started. They're mostly sexists, incels, and alt-right degenerates.

this, i doubt most anime fans care about a dub actor

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Ahh, nothing beats the classic "I know way more than you, an actual lawyer, since I ocassionally watch Judge Judy and read some shit on reddit/4chan" shtick. Gotta love anime fans.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I love the ones who are like "Vic isn't even a public figure" and then like Vic's own Convention description describes him as a "household name among anime fans", one who goes to like 40 Cons a year, so lol

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
As good as the Twitter lawyer smackdown is, the thread feels incomplete without examples of the absurdity of the complaint and takedown letters in this lawsuit.

A lot of the pile-on started from this tweet, for instance:

A different takedown letter/warning contained the following:
irKUh9l.png

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This is amazing. Also, FUCK these pathetic losers obsessed over an old ass VOICE actor. Get a goddamn life.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Cue "anime was a mistake".
Props on the dude for having the patience to try and talk sense, but he was doomed from the start trying to convince these kind of people.
like gamers, anime fans ensure that i will never go public with my interests. at least i already have a significant other who fucks with the same stuff i do so i'm kinda good.
Yup, I would never admit to any of my coworkers or acquaintances that I've ever even had a passing interest in anime, and I would never call myself a gamer.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little more complicated than that, in this case. There is definitely a significant portion of people supporting him who got pulled in by stuff likes comicsgate. Which isn't to say they aren't at least vaguely into anime or aren't anime fans to some degree. Just that there's a lot of people latching onto this that don't specifically care who's involved or what his work was.
Yep, gamergate too. Hell The Quartering and Yellowflash are two of their "leaders" and Bounding Into Comics have thrown in as well.

OP missed the tweets of Blackface Lawyer resorting to petty insults once the screams of "Debate me!" and pathetic attempts to quietly take this to DM's fell on deaf ears:

Danboard

Oct 27, 2017
On a serious note after dunking on scumbags way over their heads, Vic's lawyers got on an "emergency" stream yesterday to ask people to dox one of the lawyers.

Hes taking it in stride but i think this highlight how they use scare tactics to silence any one that criticizes them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of anime, I DESPISE anime fans.

I mean I understand what you mean but it's like saying all Star Wars fans are obsessive misogynists - I'm a "Star Wars fan" and an "anime fan" relative to the average person.

I also get that what you mean is "obsessive anime fan who acts like a jerk about it" but I've recently noticed that some of the worst behaviors among "Star Wars fans" are actually making me stop identifying as one in the casual way I might have before the gender brigading shit.

It was one thing to be a "Star Wars fan" during the objectively (in terms of meta criticism measurables and some of the big unexpected changes to understood lore like Midichlorians etc) disappointing prequels - but in my heart of hearts I remained a Star Wars fan - I just disagreed with another subset about the qualities of three of the movies and still found stuff to love and admire in them.

It's getting a little like that with anime. What I assume is a relatively small fraction of fans going way too far - and frankly any kind of organized attack (or counterfactual defense) brigades on entertainment media or its creators is probably already too far.

But we also shouldn't let small groups of outlier jerks create a poop in the pool situation for the rest of the swimmers. I guess I don't really care about the ability for me to claim "fan" but I also instinctively don't want to cede ground to the worst people in any kind of community.

Eventually it becomes self-fulfilling and circular- you can see it on some forums already with anime avatars- where the noisy loons take up all the attention and paint normal people with their brush.

And they start by thinking they're rallying around a thing they love, but eventually it becomes a rally around their shared feelings of hate. And it's very easy for young men to find reasons to hate things for group and peer acceptance. Even when their natural inclination might have been the opposite.

Not sure how you take things back from folk like that without engaging them and giving them another source of angry unity. This lawyer simply describing the law is a perfect example of that. He's exposing the underlying emptiness of their belief and they can only treat that as an attack even though he's just telling them how things actually are. They'd rather pretend the version they'd prefer is the real one than accept a reality they probably know deep downā€” is accurate.

That's a phenomenon that's exposed in our national politics too. The upside is that eventually they give up and silently move on or move the goalposts to a more defensible place - like "Lance Armstrong Never took PEDs "folks. Shifted first to "everyone does it" and then to silence or a change of subject.

Tbh the most surprising thing to me was finding a huge community of foreign film fans who PREFER the dubs although I concede that animation is a completely different thing.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why people may think they can out-law lawyers after reading Vic's case.

Nov 3, 2017
As good as the Twitter lawyer smackdown is, the thread feels incomplete without examples of the absurdity of the complaint and takedown letters in this lawsuit.

A lot of the pile-on started from this tweet, for instance:

A different takedown letter/warning contained the following:
irKUh9l.png

Oh my god.

I've turned in some fucking garbage assignments during my time in law school, but I can't imagine what kind of incompetent could have drafted this

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As an anime fan, vic stans are pretty much all awful people. I mean, yes he is a talented voice actor. He's also a huge creep and a sex offender and anyone who cares more about the former than the latter has some really fucked up priorities at the very least

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
No offense to you, but I've seen a lot of takes in my time.

"The anime fans don't really watch anime" is a new one for me.

I don't think this is as ridiculous as it sounds. I have a relative who I found out recently is a big Vic defender. He's also suddenly insisting that he was a big Dragonball fan in college, whereas a few years ago he was mocking the series as some dumb thing where people's hair colour changes and they get stronger.

It wouldn't surprise me if he watched other anime, but I don't think that's how he got into this.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mess with a mob of people all over the world that have been known to dox (and worse) and use god knows what kind of insane proxy setup to hide their identities. We are talking about some people here who can spend the next decade of their lives harassing this guy.

With that said I really enjoyed that lawyer ripping them a new one. Will keep an eye on this.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mess with a mob of people all over the world that have been known to dox (and worse) and use god knows what kind of insane proxy setup to hide their identities. We are talking about some people here who can spend the next decade of their lives harassing this guy.

With that said I really enjoyed that lawyer ripping them a new one. Will keep an eye on this.
The guy's laughing it off because he's already had people trying to dig up dirt on him before this, and he's utterly unimpressed by the information the doxxing attempt is producing.

He's a lawyer, so a bunch of his personal information is public anyway.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The "alt-right" are so pathetic. Of course they would try to weaponize personal information against Mr. Doucette. It's more than enough proof that they are not a "political party" but a mob of harassers. Pitiful ones at that.

To those lurking in this thread: It's okay, not everything can go your way. Just accept the fact that a lawyer knows more about lawsuits than you!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
This thread is exactly why people shouldn't try to take advice from internet experts who post shit on social media. These folks are literally too stupid to understand they're out of their depth and continue to "debate" with professionals. It's like watching the black knight from Monty Python all over again.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to understand where this massive wave of support for Vic came from. The only explanation is that he got lucky and fell ass backwards into alt right culture war, because there cant be THIS many ultra fans of a voice actor (seiyuu aside different beast) and there can't be that many tradcath anime fans of FMA and Broly
This is it. I feel like a lot of his core fanbase turned on him, the evidence became too strong and a lot of them were the young girls he harassed or were around him to be aware of such things. Now the alt right is carrying him, and you know... that's not a good look if he ever wanted to be employed again. This whole situation isn't a good look. But I hope he doesn't get employed again, because he's a danger to his fans and his coworkers.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this is still going on. Like why this guy? There's tons of other VAs more worth defending that Vic. This shit about him has been known for years. If anything we should be surprised it took this long before catching on.

Oct 26, 2017

Not to downplay their tactics, but you are giving these mouthbreathers waaay too much credit. For one, most lose interest after a week. Especially when the target in their pathetic campaign knows how to handle shit like that.
There aren't much lulz to be had if the target is trolling the harassers.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"You'd think senpai could get a little appreciation for finally noticing you."

Alright how much of a nerd is this man because if he hopped into a twitter blowup with no prior knowledge of at least this joke and produced this not long after this would be proof of either some Hyperbolic Lawyer Time Chamber shit, some sorta inheritance of some sort of Lawyer Sharingan, or All Might Attorney-At-Law passed on his "Justice For All" quirk.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I got partially through some of that before I lost interest in reading the rest of those snippets. I'm sure the lawyers did a good job of dunking but mother fuck, twitter is the worst of all formats for humans to discuss. That point is proven just by the OP's scissored list of snipped up tweets. I can't think of anything worse than litigators sniping at each other through a stupid medium that restricts characters.

The funniest part was the guy saying Vic isn't a public figure because the lawyer hadn't heard of him. Clearly doesn't know much about the law.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit. I'm actually watching 'Suits' for the first time now and damn...they got LITT the hell up

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
I have no clue who any of these people are, but I love that the lawyer is basically doing the same thing he is suing for....

Dude says "are you stupid"...defamatory and false, the other lawyer is not stupid. "Short bus" defamatory and false, he does not ride on a bus and it is not short.

Extremely humorous.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm especially laughing at the idea of trying to find "gotcha" moments by arguing semantics with a lawyer, as if that isn't literally their job.

"Unless they somehow prove actual malice this case is toast"
"Oh yeah? Don't you think trying to destroy someone's career is malice smart guy?"
"No because that's not what the legal definition of "actual malice" is you stupid fool"

He's a lawyer.

Everything they could possibly throw at him has probably already been thrown at him ten times over by any number of disgruntled folk.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I think it's important to note that not everyone supporting this is alt-right or misogynists. There are tons and tons of kids and gullible people that are essentially useful idiots. There's images of supposed conversations of victims and news sources saying they're lying or contradicting themselves etc, and people with no knowledge of law are easy for lawyers to convince. Rekieta gets thousands of viewers on his streams where he spouts this stuff. Any impressionable fan can stumble upon the stuff they cite as proof or a legal stream and get "converted." And when you get tweets like this:

and suddenly people starting to doubt it are sucked back in, convincing them their leaders aren't wrong after all.

The #istandwithvic crowd is equal parts culture war and dumb anime fans, basically, and it can't be overstated how big this faction of people actually is.