• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Gunmaker Colt says it is suspending its production of rifles for the civilian market including the popular AR-15.

Colt's chief executive officer, Dennis Veilleux, says it is not permanently ending production but believes there is already an adequate supply of sporting rifles on the market. He said in a statement Thursday the company will concentrate on fulfilling military and law enforcement contracts with its rifle manufacturing.

The West Hartford, Connecticut-based company has received some criticism from gun rights advocates for moving away from the civilian market.

Veilleux said in the statement the company remains committed to the Second Amendment and is adapting to consumer demand.

A national gun control debate has focused on access to AR-15s and other assault-style rifles because of their use in mass shootings.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting for the heat to die down. When a couple mass shootings happen with handguns or shotguns etc. they'll be right back to it.

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't another gun maker do the same thing only to face such backlash they shut down or got bought out.

Yeah people want their guns and the NRA was in full effect.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
this seems pretty big

it means they see enough of a change in attitudes towards these guns that they're trying to get out ahead of whatever might be coming down the line

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Unfortunately it's a drop in the bucket. There are a ton of AR-15 producers, from boutique manufacturers up to every major manufacturer(minus Colt for now!)

Let's hope this kickstarts a trend and others follow suit, but I'm not holding my breath.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Not only are there tons of producers of these weapons, but the saturations of weapons already produced and available / owned in this country makes this effectively meaningless.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Colt's chief executive officer, Dennis Veilleux, says it is not permanently ending production but believes there is already an adequate supply of sporting rifles on the market.
When they (inevitably) bring it back, it will be like the McRib for gun nuts.

Assuming one company's actions are enough for there to be a (temporary) shortage.

Oct 28, 2017
"We'd like to take this opportunity to introduce the new 'safer' AR-16!"

Sales must be down. I have no faith that they self regulate based on a greater good.

Feb 1, 2018
Guns are like graphics cards, just because "EVGA" stops making them off the "AR15" reference design it doesn't mean other OEM's can't keep selling them.

These things need to be fucking banned for civilian use, that's the only way. Too many innocent people have died.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
*hundreds of balloons fall from the sky*
*a brass band marches down the the main street playing "More Than a Feeling" and all your other favorite soft adult contemporary hits*
*a banner drops from the tallest building revealing the words "WELL, IT'S A START I GUESS"*
*all the people go out into the streets and shout "OKAY!"*

oh right, forgot to mention the balloons aren't inflated

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Unfortunately it's a drop in the bucket. There are a ton of AR-15 producers, from boutique manufacturers up to every major manufacturer(minus Colt for now!)

Let's hope this kickstarts a trend and others follow suit, but I'm not holding my breath.

eh...

yeah right? Aren't there just thousands if not... millions? Of AR15's just sitting in warehouses? Stopping production doesn't mean less of those will be sold.

The price will get higher for those now.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
eh...

yeah right? Aren't there just thousands if not... millions? Of AR15's just sitting in warehouses? Stopping production doesn't mean less of those will be sold.

And when people hear about the "shortage" they'll be rushing out to buy them before the gummint bans them.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
While this is I suppose a step in the right direction, I think it gets at a problem at the heart of the American gun control debate. The rhetoric around gun control is centered on the consumer. It's centered around the civilian market, the villains in the narrative generally are civilians buying guns and the stores selling guns to those civilians. And I understand that absolutely. I get mad at the people who treat guns like toys, too.

But if the government really wanted to do something about the proliferation of guns in this country, the government could very well shut down domestic production. They could tax gun production to the point where it's not profitable anymore, they could illegalize production. The federal government did something very similar with flavored vape cartridges just last week, they could ostensibly do it with guns, too. Ending or illegalizing the production of guns and ammunition would be an long-term solution to the problem with fewer loopholes than current civilian sale-based gun control. That idea very rarely comes up, though, because the federal government spends a hell of a lot of money on the weapons the military needs and uses to keep up its level of power in its various interventions in the Middle East.

If the United States actually wants to do something about gun violence in its own country, it would stop financially supporting the manufacturers producing the weapons causing the problem domestically. But this empire is unstable, and it's built on a hell of a lot of consistent and pointless killing, and as long as it is, we're going to keep seeing that violence coming back home.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
eh...

Sure. This could even be seen as a swerve by Colt to boost sales.

And of course, if Trump loses in 2020 they will be sitting pretty again.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Man, I knew people in rural GA who built their own AR-15 years ago by buying the parts separately...this means nothing other than some minor inconvenience to those who might want them...hell, they might even enjoy it even more since I know those guys loved that sorta stuff.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
Colt aren't as big a deal in the civilian market as people think they are. They made the rifles the military used in the past, but those guns can't compete on price against all the cheap efforts that flood the market now. This would be like Ford getting out of making tiny cars in the US.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
hqdefault.jpg

The Colt AR 15 plant has hit it's kill limit and shut down.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
ResetERA's gun nut chiming in. Colt hasn't been doing well for years. They've lost several government contracts. This isn't really a statement but more or less "We're going down the tubes and want to refocus on what government contracts we have left. The civilian effort is not paying the bills."

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Since they aren't stopping forever, it's just that there are enough out there... holy fuck that's even more frightening that they basically made too many...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Who's going to pick up their production? Because *somebody* will. Remington? S&W? Springfield? Or is the whole semi-auto AR market nuclear toxic right now?

Also, "suspended" is definitely not the same as "ending".