• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before I start: I just want to make it clear that you can like a character, game, an artist, a publisher, etc. in isolation while still acknowledging that looked at within the greater context, that thing you like might be contributing to the reinforcement of harmful stereotypes or imagery that negatively effect real people. If you're going to come into this thread to just hand wave what this thread is about then like...don't bother. Honestly.

So I'm a black woman. I'm a darker skin black woman at that. I've been made fun of by other people, including those who had the same skin tone as me, because of it. I've been told I'm a 'pretty chocolate girl' among things. I've had to learn how to appreciate my own skin and not think I'm ugly because of it. The effects of colorism have impacted me in more ways than one and I know I'm not the only one. Often the harmful elements of colorism are hand-waved despite it being so prevalent in the media we consume: from the movies we watch to even the games we play. Here's a definition of colorism:

Colorism is the principle that those with lighter, fairer skin are treated with a higher regard than those with darker skin, and it happens both between racial communities and within them.

While black women are definitely not the only minorities lacking in representation nor are we the only ones colorism has impacted, I would like to open this thread by speaking from my own perspective and experiences since black women's voices aren't given a platform a lot on here.

Colorism and black women.

The sexualization of black women.

My favorite video game series is Final Fantasy. I don't have any type of major representation in a series I love and have been playing this series over a decade. If black women are lucky, we might be a NPC in the background or a quest giver. Final Fantasy is 30+ years old and the closest thing we've gotten to a playable black woman is Fran in Final Fantasy XII.

If you've never played FFXII, Fran is part of a race made up of highly fetishized, dark skin bunny women. The following official art piece of the viera should speak for itself:

latest

Again, the viera are highly sexualized and fetishized in-game (there's a sidequest with a white npc wanting to be with one because they're...exotic or something if i remember correctly). While I don't personally like equating them to black women, I have talked to other black women who do see them as representation so looking at it through that lens and that (at least within FFXII) they're exclusively dark skin, it's hard not to view the only major representation that dark skin women have within the single player mainline games as another example of reinforcing the sexualization and fetishization that black women have experienced in the past and currently in the present. Again, these things aren't 'reaches' - these are issues that effect real people. I remember walking down the street with my mom and having grown men honking and cat calling at me. I was probably 12 or 13 at best.

It came from previous eras when black women were held in bondage and largely seen as the 'other' for not fitting a Eurocentric standard of beauty. When Europeans first traveled to Africa in the seventeenth century, they were shocked that African dress exposed so much skin, even though it was due to the hot climate there. As a result, African women were seen as lewd and sexually insatiable. In this way, the Jezebel stereotype was born. Jezebels were viewed as 'whores' who therefore couldn't even be raped. Even some abolitionists believed black women welcomed the sexual advances of white foremen on plantations.

How black women are not allowed to be more than a stereotype.

When I look at a lot of the female characters within Final Fantasy, there is also consistent traits that I see related to them that I know wouldn't apply if we ever got a black female lead because we're rarely ever given the chance to be written that way. I'm talking about being given the chance to be portrayed as soft, vulnerable, desirable, or the romantic lead.

I'm sure the instant reaction to this statement would be "What? Female characters don't need to be love interest or soft, that's weak!!" which 1). there's nothing inherently wrong with a female character being 'soft' or a love interest and 2). black women, especially darker skin women, are often labeled aggressive, undesirable, less need of protection and love. All the female main protagonists of Final Fantasy are all 'fair skinned' white-coded or east asian-coded women. Black women are never allowed to have the 'roles' these lighter skin characters are able to have. Instead we are put in a box that exist to reinforce negative stereotypes about us. Even if this is occasionally subverted, it's usually done by casting a light skin black woman as the lead in something (while this thread is about video games, look at roles black women like Zendaya, Tessa Thompson, and Zoe Kravitz get and ask yourself why darker skin black women don't get those type of roles or exposure).

An example of a black female character not allowed to be more vulnerable or be the 'love interest' is Vivienne in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

maxresdefault.jpg

When fans saw her, they were excited for her to be a romance option...then it turned out she's wasn't going to be one. Vivienne, at least to me, comes off as almost a personified example of the 'strong, independent black woman who needs no man' trope within a video game except the catch is that...she does have a man in her life. Which honestly? Is totally fine except it turns out she's not romancable because she's actually the mistress to an old, white man. Isn't that great? No. Vivienne is also the 'ice queen' type of character in a way which, again is fine on its own, but to me, her character often felt like a continuation of stereotypes that have been placed on black women whether we asked for it or not: we're seen as hard, cold, and even a 'bitch' (a word that's definitely used about Vivienne). Dragon Age's handling of her never seems as if it's trying to deconstruct any of these stereotypes and it's just played straight. While I desperately wanted to like her, I wasn't able to.

She's also an example of what I feel like is a reoccurring problem with writers taking characters initially planned to be white and not thinking how certain traits will reinforce bad stereotypes once the character is changed to be brown and black (The next character I'll talk about is another example of this). Side note: 'white Vivienne' mods also exist to make her more 'lore friendly' which is again, another bullshit form of colorsim / racism.

viviennewtf.jpg

The angry black woman.

A example of the 'aggressive, angry black woman' in a video game is Nadine from Uncharted. I've played all of Lost Legacy and played maybe close to half of Uncharted 4 and one thing that instantly bothered me was this scene:

From the music as she begins to beat up Nathan to the framing of the black woman towering over the white man, this just rubs me the wrong way. Nadine herself is portrayed as hyper-aggressive at times and while the context of some of her anger makes sense (in Lost Legacy, she's lost her business), there are also times where I remember Chloe having to tell her to calm down. Chole and Nadine are both women of color but the more 'reasonable' one of the two is the female character who, in comparison to Nadine, has the lighter skin tone. Chloe herself would be considered dark skin in her own culture but in this situation, she is still placed in a higher regard than the character with darker skin than her with how she's treated within the narrative because of colorism - even it might be unintentional.

maxresdefault.jpg

Again, in isolation you might ask, 'What's the problem? I was not offended by Nadine?'" The problem is that pushing black women as aggressors, whether in real life or in fiction, makes people think we're inherently aggressive people that don't deserve protection or to be believed when hurt:

When Megan Thee Stallion, an american female rapper, was shot by a male rapper, instead of people supporting her, she received people questioning and doubting her story. Her innocence in the situation was questioned, she was accused of being the instigator/aggressor in the situation, and that the man had to 'defend' himself against her because she's a 'big' woman (Megan is 5'10) who was going to 'hurt him'.

Back on the old site when FFXV was coming out (or either had just came out, I can't remember), I remember another female poster saying that FFXV had taken the series 30 years back. I don't know what this person's ethnicity was but that comment always felt so...white centric to me. Lunafreya is a badly written character but in the grand scheme of things, there are a sea of characters that look and act just like her even if she had of been better written. For me, a black woman, one white character sucking wasn't the end of the world. I've never been able to see myself in anyone in Final Fantasy so the series had never went backwards to me: it had never taken any real 'step' to include me in the first place.

Colorism within Japanese Video Games.

Oh boy.

tidus-laugh-gif-3.gif

Kingdom Hearts.

Let's just get this one over with. *I'll be referring to the original characters only with this, not disney or final fantasy characters who make cameos within the series.

maxresdefault.jpg

Kingdom Hearts is a series that is riddled with colorism. From characters becoming darker skinned when exposed to literal darkness to a white man having brown face while under 'disguise', this issue has been the constant elephant in the room since people would really like to focus on Nomura's whacky anime ride or the Disney fun instead. Kingdom Hearts is a 15+ years old series and despite its large cast of original characters, the only dark skin characters in the original series are all evil. For those that do not play Kingdom Hearts, the main antagonist of the original arc within the series is Xehanort, a brown character that's written as borderline cartoonishly evil at times. Xehanort is old and decides to steal the body of Terra, a young and naive keyblade wielder, that is susceptible to darkness. This is Terra before and after the 'body snatching':

Xemas and Ansem: If you want representation, just embrace the darkness!

the-two-principal-villains-from-the-first-two-main-kingdom-hearts-games-are-back-in-iii.jpeg

The issue with colorism is especially notable considering the cast is essentially filled with mostly fair skinned, blue eyed characters and while there are story reasons to explain why characters look the same, at a certain point it becomes somewhat annoying that we can have multiple characters that look like Sora or Kairi yet we cannot have one brown/black character that's not evil or associated with darkness because of the color of their skin. My feelings of annoyance at the continued reuse of designs is also aimed at Verum Rex too. It's a different take on the designs of FF Versus XIII....yet all the characters still need to have fair skinned. It's boring.

There's nothing wrong with a brown / black person being a villain but why are we not allowed to be the main heroes within this series too?

Nier. *This section will contain open spoilers for the Nier Raid in FFXIV.

This has more to do with a specific alt design based on 2B rather than the Nier games themselves as I've only played one game in the series (although I do find it weird that all the androids are one skin color tone regardless of them being what they are but I digress). Anyway, 2B was announced for Soul Calibur and got a cool alt called 2P. 2P was an 'inverse' of 2B's colors: dark skin, white outfit.

soulcalibur6-2b-screenshot12.jpg

2P was well received online which...led to Square-Enix taking note and deciding to use her. Things go downhill from there. SE decide to make a 2P figure to milk her popularity:

46769744802_7596bcb5c7_z.jpg

Well...she's at least still somewhat brown right? Anyway, SE would go, "Us? Using a brown skin in a positive light? Hell no!". So 2P gets added to FFXIV as part of the Nier raid and she looks like this:

3594135-2p.jpg

She's white. People tried to claim that those upset were overreacting. That it was just the 'lightning' and wait till the raid was out to judge. Again, 2P started off with darker skin (I've updated the OP to show just how dark 2P was in SCVI; she does not have a 'tan') until they slowly and completely white washed her:

Screen-Shot-2020-12-31-at-6-08-29-PM.png

latest

They also turned 2P into the antagonist of the raid. So 2P, originally the brown skinned alt of 2B, was stripped of the skin color that made her unique in the first place and then made evil because...reasons I guess. Even when we get representation, it's taken away from us and ruined.

Final Fantasy.

There a a lot of examples you can pull from with FF. However, there is one game that could've (and should've) been lead by two brown people and yet they look like this:

21-218231_wallpaper-ff12-no-final-fantasy-ashe-and-vaan.jpg

FFXII has easily one of the least diverse cast in the series with most of them being white, blonde, or both outside of Fran. The princess of a desert city that is inspired by the middle east is probably one of the most whitest female characters in the entire series. From her home to her character design, a lot of things about Ashe are taken directly from cultures where brown people are the majority and yet somehow they reached their limit in regards to using these cultures for inspiration when it came down to making her a brown woman. Brown people are rarely shown as royalty or in major positions of power in video games so this could've a big deal and instead...we got what we got.

latest

FFXII (as well as other games in the series such as FFVII) also have issues with evil characters' skin turning brown as they reach 'maximum evil'. Sephiroth, probably one of the palest characters in the game, suddenly has his skin turn brown during his Safer Sephiroth form at the end of the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Vayne Solidor, the main antagonist of FFXII, turns into a monstrous-looking, dark skin man...for some reason at the end of the game.

OIP.YVjQqhKDTQXOxFuuN4WmAwHaJ4
OIP.Qey131b-K-RD54MJwXpn2AHaLD

There are definitely other examples of colorism I wish to touch on that is within FF as well with other series but I don't want to make this OP overly long so I'll stop here. I hope people actually read what I have to say and can contribute to this thread in a meaningful way without downplaying or handwaving any of these issues away. Please feel free to share any examples of colorism in video games too as I want this to be a discussion we can all learn from. Going forward, I would really like to see more female characters who look like this because they deserve to be represented:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Playing many games in which feature black women i have realized something that is indeed extremely present:
Black women seem to be constantly portrayed as this sterotype of rude, hyper-aggressive, the list goes on. A lot of games seem to completely deny black women feelings, uncertainties, vulnerabilities, and just go with "super rough" kind of design and personality. And what really boggles me the most is that this is a constant figure seem CONSTANTLY through games. It's hard to find a black woman in gaming that isn't heavily given those kind of stereotypes.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
2P was the first example that came to mind due to how recent it was. I felt completely disappointed when it looked like she was going to be the star in the Nier raids, replacing 2B, only for Yoshi or Yoko himself making her the villain instead.

ranjaboy

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for bringing this up. Ive noticed this too. It seems that anytime a black woman/femme is introduced its always the same homogeneous stereotypes. Black Women can be many things, yet the only way they're ever portrayed is "strong"

And the colorism thing has been bothering me so much. Its so common in Japanese games, yet no body really calls it out.

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
To add, FFXIV's main cast is ostensibly comprised of pale skinned, white haired characters. I would bet part of the game's popularity stems from being able to create a character and actually feel that you have some representation.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I get frustrated with the lack of progress on this front, especially when stereotypes are so glaring with how few darker skinned characters there are in the first place. I might be blanking but are there any examples of femme black characters who don't follow the common stereotypes? Would like to shout out and support them.

With the Japanese games, I have to wonder why no one has internally called out the more global-oriented companies like Nintendo and Square Enix. Kind of baffles me that they still use the "darker skin = evil" trope in their games.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
The use of darker skin to indicate a character is evil, tainted, or touched by some dark power BUGS THE SHIT OUT OF ME. I'm not into Fate but I'm sure there was a character who turned evil or something and straight up turned into a black dude! Like, come on!

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
It's extremely noticeable in Kingdom Hearts, and I can't help but think about it whenever I play the first game. There's no lighting excuses in that one, this person:

258px-Terra-Xehanort_KHBBS.png

Looks like this as a heartless:

Ansem_Render.thumb.png.170563f3c36e5b4019122db940c42d30.png

And personally, the ending of KH1 seems to really emphasize his skin thanks to the loose shirtless design drawing your eyes to his chest and adding the heartless symbol, which contrasts with Sora's KH1 jumpsuit. The looseness is important because it implies a comfort with oneself, an intention to show, "this is what I am." And in this case that means "darkness" personified, and dark is evil or at the very least wrong.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that the only black lead I can think of having played are the main characters from AC: Origins.

Kamala in Avengers was cool and fresh but with the way the games designed she probably won't be a focus anymore.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Great OP and very necessary conversation. I'm sick of the majority of video game protagonists being the same grizzled (or boyish, if it's a JP game) fair-skinned males or the occasional beautiful fair-skinned woman. While I haven't played Miles Morales yet I was very excited by its announcement and the fact it headlined the PS5 launch, and in general I remember a lot of POC protagonists featuring in the launch event.

The dark skin = evil trope is honestly embarrassing and should have died a long time ago. And yet...
images

Actually, on the topic of Zelda, let's talk Wind Waker too. While it's one of my favourite games, even as a kid I noticed the very problematic issue with Tetra.
As a dark skinned girl, she's an adventure loving pirate, shown to be clever and cunning and able to hold her own.

As soon as she's revealed to be Zelda, she not only turns white but also turns helpless as she needs to be hidden away and protected, and even though she fights in the final battle she is purely a support for Link.

It's ridiculous ans exactly as the OP says: dark skinned women are shown as more aggressive/wild.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
writers taking characters initially planned to be white and not thinking how certain traits will reinforce bad stereotypes once the character is changed to be brown and black

Man, I was thinking about this recently. I just wish I could remember what character made me stop and wonder how the writers let that slip.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow some of those examples you mentioned are crazy. Especially 2P.

Awesome thread.

I never actually thought how weird FF12 was. Like you say they have a bunch of white people as the main characters. Not even tanned white people... In the "middle east" where you would get tanned really easy if you are white.

I wish Japan would change this shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing many games in which feature black women i have realized something that is indeed extremely present:
Black women seem to be constantly portrayed as this sterotype of rude, hyper-aggressive, the list goes on. A lot of games seem to completely deny black women feelings, uncertainties, vulnerabilities, and just go with "super rough" kind of design and personality. And what really boggles me the most is that this is a constant figure seem CONSTANTLY through games. It's hard to find a black woman in gaming that isn't heavily given those kind of stereotypes.

Yeah, its pretty sad to see. Genshin Impact has a variety of problems when it comes to female character designs but the lack of brown and black female characters was really noticeable to me when I was playing it. I know there's a brown girl now but I dropped the game before she was added so I don't know if this is an accurate take on her personality but she seems like the 'rough / tough girl' with an angry look and it's like...can ya'll please try to do something different.

latest

To add, FFXIV's main cast is ostensibly comprised of pale skinned, white haired characters. I would bet part of the game's popularity stems from being able to create a character and actually feel that you have some representation.

I definitely think so! It's one of my favorite aspects of the game. I do feel like the team behind games like XII, XIV, etc. have a problem with...overly white casts. I know they're not made by the same exact people but XVI is clearly influenced by XII / works of those who had involvement with it like Matsuno (XIV even worked with him for the Ivalice raids). XVI just....looks extremely white and it's hard to get excited about that in 2020. Hopefully there's more diversity but I'm not holding my breath.

Also Y'shtola is another character that is a victim of inconsistent skin tone / whitewashing at times.

latest

Nov 17, 2017
Hyrule Warriors has this issue with the characters Lana and Cia. They were originally one person but she was split into her good and evil halves. Can you tell which one is which?
latest
Hyrule_Warriors_Artwork_Cia_2.png

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City

Awesome thread.

I never actually thought how weird FF12 was. Like you say they have a bunch of white people as the main characters. Not even tanned white people... In the "middle east" where you would get tanned really easy if you are white.

Yeah it's silly. Apparently the "historical accuracy" arguments only apply when talking about white people.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Also the one who is more sexualized is more evil, but that's off topic for this thread.

It's adjacent and a great point, too.

On topic: OP, this was an excellent post. I would love more representation that would allow Black women to be women in all the ways they can be women and not just "hard edge rogue ice queen who dresses sexy".

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this thread. I'm not black, but I do think it's super important to have more active discussions about how minorities are represented in games. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have noticed some things that you said (I also missed them while playing some of these games). Structural racism sucks and the only way we can be better is by being mindful of these things.

Do you know any characters that are good representations of this?

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Thank you so much for this! Like I could cash app you right now because this was some LABOR and you did that shìt!

it's hard enough finding other Black folks to identify with on games period, but when they pull shit like this, especially with Black women, it feels like we are never gonna get progress at times.

y'all remember when folks tried speaking out about Vanessa in Virtua fighter 5 and how they lightened her skin and folks shot it down as people being "sensitive"?Same with Lisa in DOA. Both were mysteriously racially ambiguous when developers were pressed about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Shouts out to Eiyuden Chronicle Marise:

latest

For a really awesome black girl design. It remains to be seen if her character uses the aggressive personality or not but as far as the design goes it is really awesome. They didn't try to watch wash her by giving her white people features or hair.

Yeah it's silly. Apparently the "historical accuracy" arguments only apply when talking about white people.
Yeah it is very easy to see why they use that excuse.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Great write up Celes. I can't imagine managing the gaming space as a Black woman. And I know as a Black man I constantly want to pull the curls outta my head in frustration.

I always think of the fact that we as Black folks have to not only be a part of the process. But we need to also be the leaders involved with media. Otherwise we will not be authentically represented.

*Waits for a triple A game starring a solo dark skinned Black women and done right*

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the compliments everyone, it's much appreciated. <3

Yeah, it's so bad but people never call it out or acknowledge it. Also Reddas, the dark skin guy, sacrifices himself to destroy the Sun-Cryst so the white people don't have to lol.

Hyrule Warriors has this issue with the characters Lana and Cia. They were originally one person but she was split into her good and evil halves. Can you tell which one is which?
I've never played Hyrule Warriors but I remember seeing stuff about this years ago and had forgotten it. This is so bad. This also reminds me of when 'Browsette' was big and most of the fanart consisted of them brown and hypersexualized yet a thread full of art like that was allowed to be on here. :/

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
One game I'm playing right now, Greedfall, is absolutely guilty of this. No spoilers here, but basically, the game's story revolves around the player character being a diplomat of a nation that along with 2 others nations is trying to conquer an island that also has magical natives. Two of the nations (The Congregation and Theleme) along with the island natives are all mostly lighter skinned outside of a few exceptions. The third nation, the Bridge Alliance, has many more darker skinned characters and was also the group that was most bigoted and hateful towards the island natives (who were very Native American inspired btw) often calling them savages and what not, while also having a very Arabic/Middle Eastern design for the attire and buildings. While not as bad as the games mentioned in the OP and comments (as there are several well rounded good dark skinned characters), it was still something that still jumped out at even me, a white guy

Also, great and informative write up

Oct 27, 2017
y'all remember when folks tried speaking out about Vanessa in Virtua fighter 5 and how they lightened her skin and folks shot it down as people being "sensitive"?Same with Lisa in DOA. Both were mysteriously racially ambiguous when developers were pressed about it.
I am still mad about it.
vf_vanessa.jpg

Just why the hell?
Yeah, it's so bad but people never call it out or acknowledge it. Also Reddas, the dark skin guy, sacrifices himself to destroy the Sun-Cryst so the white people don't have to lol.
I am willing to bet if the game got a remake and they changed the designs so they made sense, that the "accuracy!!!!!!!!" people would be mad over it for "brown washing".

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Even outside of Japanese games, Control has a similar problem with Marshall. She's the only named Black character (and maybe PoC in general?) in the game, and her predominant trait is being a no-nonsense military type. It also sucks considering how little focus she gets compared to Trench and Darling.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Shouts out to Eiyuden Chronicle Marise:

latest

For a really awesome black girl design. It remains to be seen if her character uses the aggressive personality or not but as far as the design goes it is really awesome. They didn't try to watch wash her by giving her white people features or hair.

Yeah it is very easy to see why they use that excuse.

Well it remains to be seen if she will be done well.

Because Siliconera had an interview and asked direct questions about her. And they totally dodged those questions. And said something to the effect of so we saw how popular Black Panther was....

www.siliconera.com

Yoshitaka Murayama Talks About Eiyuden Chronicle and Its Kickstarter

Suikoden I & II Scenario Writer Yoshitaka Murayama is writing Eiyuden Chronicle, and Siliconera spoke with him a bit about this new endeavor.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida

Yo this shit was so jarring me and the homies were like what the fuck? This remains one of the most egregious examples of colorism I ever seen. I think this is one of the reasons why I stopped playing it.

Oct 27, 2017

Because Siliconera had an interview and asked direct questions about her. And they totally dodged those questions. And said something to the effect of so we saw how popular Black Panther was....

www.siliconera.com

Suikoden I & II Scenario Writer Yoshitaka Murayama is writing Eiyuden Chronicle, and Siliconera spoke with him a bit about this new endeavor.
Hmm

I want to hope for the best but I don't want to get burned...

Oct 25, 2017
A example of the 'aggressive, angry black woman' in a video game is Nadine from Uncharted. I've played all of Lost Legacy and played maybe close to half of Uncharted 4 and one thing that instantly bothered me was this scene:

From the music as she begins to beat up Nathan to the framing of the black woman towering over the white man, this just rubs me the wrong way. Nadine herself is portrayed as hyper-aggressive at times and while the context of some of her anger makes sense (in Lost Legacy, she's lost her business), there are also times where I remember Chloe having to tell her to calm down. Chole and Nadine are both women of color but the more 'reasonable' one of the two being a lighter skin woman of color is...kind of eh.

Again, in isolation you might ask, 'What's the problem? I was not offended by Nadine?'" The problem is that pushing black women as aggressors, whether in real of in fiction, makes people think we're inherently aggressive people that don't deserve protection or to be believed when hurt:
I don't really agree with your criticisms of Nadine, particularly the bolded. In this scene we're meeting a major antagonist early on in the game, so of course there's going to be incentive to portray her as really strong and overwhelming. That's just plainly an effective way of getting you engaged in the rivalry and the conflict (though it didn't work super great for unrelated reasons).

Nate tried to shove his way past her and we can assume because of her relationship with Raefe she knew exactly who she was dealing with, not just some average dude who she can get something from without socking him in the face. If Nate was just a nobody to her and she went in on him that physically and aggressively, then I think you'd have a point.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand Ansem the Wise having darker skin under the bandages

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Huh, I'll admit, I never did notice the constant stereotyping of black women as tough, sassy or otherwise not vulnerable. Thanks for pointing it out, you got my mind running to see if I could find even ONE black woman character that wasn't that stereotype... I could not.

But for completeness, I'll post my "But what about...?" characters here and why I dismissed them.

Let's get the big one over with: Princess Daisy

Even if Nintendo could finally decide that yes, she should be some shade of brown, which has varied greatly, her big issue in this thread is that she's basically Princess Peach, but sassier. Was she an original character, and maybe a little less sassy, I would have put her forth, but... Princess Daisy is just a sometimes brown palette swap of Peach with the stereotype added on top.

Oh, speaking of Peach, in Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, she gets an evil makeover as The Shadow Queen. Take a guess what that does with her skin.

Fire Emblem came up empty, too. There's Flavia, the Khan of the Warrior Realm of Ragna-Ferox. Do I even have to spell out what her personality is, or does "Khan of a Warrior Realm" say enough? Then onto party members in RPGs. Nope! Townspeople in farming games? None. Advisors in strategy games? No. Annoying girly stereotypes of any kind, no being picky if the game even is good or just outright trashy? ...no!

I cannot think of even one example of a black woman who's not tough, sassy or otherwise not vulnerable in any way.

...this bugs me now. There was such an obvious stereotype, and I had completely internalized it. Thanks for making me see it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
They also turned 2P into the antagonist of the raid. So 2P, originally the brown skinned alt of 2B, was stripped of the skin color that made her unique in the first place and then made evil because...reasons I guess. Even when we get representation, it's taken away from us and ruined.

If I have to imagine is that they knew she was going to be evil and therefore didn't want to do the trope (of which you address) of making a character have darker skin just because they're evil.

Better solution would have just been not make 2P not evil, but since 2B (who doesn't show up till later) is so popular they gotta sell people on the raid, so she's there.

Basically dodging one hole and then stepping into another.

The Scions could and should be more diverse. It's actually kind of crazy that outside of Y'sthola (whose skin seems to either be light-brown or fair, seemingly at random, but still falls into the following same hair anyway), that they're all fair skinned white-haired individuals. I love the characters but in retrospect they should have did more to make them stand out differently.

I guess one could argue that it's to make your character hopefully easily stand out apart from them, but that seems kind of flimsy.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
*Waits for a triple A game starring a solo dark skinned Black women and done right*
Yeah it's slim to nil pickings :( Even the few examples I can think of all have some caveat, like, relatively fair-skinned, or not a dedicated protagonist, not AAA, etc.

I will forever shill Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, myself, though. Though unfortunately it IS kind of a "side game" rather than a mainline one, but it's got fairly high production values at least, and the game itself is excellent, as is the main character.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Great thread OP.

ND has a serious problem with black people. Nadine was a real let down along with how the black guy Abby boss battle in TLoU. Making Nadine a tough manly woman in contrast to her counterpart stands out because there is a severe lack of feminine black women that aren't washed out. It's like they are afraid to make a black person that doesn't play into some stereotype. I really liked Lost Legacy and TLoU too. I'm not sure if their leads need to interact with more black people or what but man, they are terrible.

I was shocked the UBI Soft published WD 2 with Marcus being a brown tech guy. Living near The Bay and being a brown tech guy myself, it was so refreshing to see someone that is relatable, and not gold grilled out or built like a linebacker. I wish more companies did this.

Last edited:

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
A example of whitewashing and colorism in gaming that always comes into mind is the VF5 Vanessa fuckery. That got me so heated when the game first got released.

Maybe Sega will give her original skin color back in VFxEsports but I don't have that much faith in them.

Awesome thread.

I always felt that SE needs to be called out more when it comes to representation of dark skin/black people cause their track record is sketchy at best.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

www.siliconera.com

But he doesn't dodge the question nor does he talk about how popular Black Panther was

The only Black character revealed so far is Marisa, a young woman who is described as a member of a Guardian clan that seems to live in the forest and isn't as technologically advanced as other groups (though still will occasionally use their tech). Are you concerned about how her depiction could come across? (Especially since, in Suikoden III, many of the Black characters all came from the Grasslands and Bob, one of the only Black cast members in Suikoden II, was also the only werewolf?)

Murayama:
Marisa's clan doesn't live in the forest, they protect the forest and nature. And they are the only group in the game world that has the strongest technology capable of utilizing some powerful rune-lenses. That's why Marisa is on equal footing with both Nowa's group and the empire. The technological advances give her clan an edge. We feel confident that when people play as Marisa they will see we are not falling into tropes that would depict her as tribal; instead this is closer to how Wakanda is depicted in Marvel movies.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
One example that immediately comes to mind is Tetra/Zelda in The Wind Waker. The difference in personality is stark and plays into those stereotypes.

44ee7fcb4e4e229b1dc48d98de02c4df.png

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is definitely high on my list of "unfuck your shit SE" because as much as I'm a fan of theirs, they can be better. I remember being othered growing up (being "well spoken" was a common compliment in school from grown ups or othered due to my lighter skin by other grown ups or my peers) so when this crops up so god damn much it pulls me out of games I otherwise enjoy. Thank you for putting in the time to write out your thoughts OP it was nice to read.

Oct 27, 2017
A example of whitewashing and colorism in gaming that always comes into mind is the VF5 Vanessa fuckery. That got me so heated when the game first got released.

Maybe Sega will give her original skin color back in VFxEsports but I don't have that much faith in them.

I always felt that SE needs to be called out more when it comes to representation of dark skin/black people cause their track record is sketchy at best.
For sure. I am hoping Project Athia is successful and does inspire them to change but I still have a feeling like they won't. I hope the game at least doesn't have those tropes OP mentioned but maybe that is expecting to much from SE.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
But he doesn't dodge the question nor does he talk about how popular Black Panther was

I guess remember that wrong

But that still doesn't leave me with hope they'll protray us Black folks in the best light without consultants

Past games created by your team have regularly included troublesome and ill-informed race representation. What consulting and hiring are you doing to ensure your team has diverse voices and that Marisa (and other characters of color that are presumably in the game) are not given a similar treatment?

This is the first title for us at Rabbit and Bear studios. It's unfortunate whenever design choices end up making a person or race feel excluded but we've never made any of these choices intentionally.

Certainly, there have been a great deal of discussions about diversity in the world and we want to be thoughtful of those ideas and voices. Marisa will play a major role in the game and represents a third important power on the same level as Seign and Nowa. Story-wise, she has a very important role in the game and is one of the only characters capable of harnessing the raw power of the runes.

And they were asked directly will you have consultants to have representation issues. They didn't say yes. Maybe some will be hired in the future? I don't know. My point remains the same. Again, if we Black folks aren't a part of the process I have good reason to be skeptical. So ehh

Last edited:

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
while I do 100% understand the point in which you are making I don't think that anti-aqua image you are using in the OP isn't a good point, if you look at her model in the journal she still has her normal skin colour

latest

I believe it's just the lighting in that scene that makes it look like she has a darker skin colour. The whole dark skin problem is only with characters that are different version of xehanort and not just characters that are exposed to the darkness (though i don't know what the deal is with DiZ and Ansem)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree with your criticisms of Nadine, particularly the bolded. In this scene we're meeting a major antagonist early on in the game, so of course there's going to be incentive to portray her as really strong and overwhelming. That's just plainly an effective way of getting you engaged in the rivalry and the conflict (though it didn't work super great for unrelated reasons).

Nate tried to shove his way past her and we can assume because of her relationship with Raefe she knew exactly who she was dealing with, not just some average dude who she can get something from without socking him in the face. If Nate was just a nobody to her and she went in on him that physically and aggressively, then I think you'd have a point.
If that's what your takeaway is from everything I said about how black women in general are portrayed as hyper aggressive and how harmful that is then like...I don't know what to tell you. I'm not criticizing this one example on it's own but how it contributes to harmful stereotypes regarding black women as a whole. Multiple people in this thread can barely think of non-aggressive black women in video games which only furthers the point.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017

You have to separate 1) the in-universe justification for why something plays out the way it does and 2) the Developer decision / justification for why a certain scene needs to play out the way it does. Let's assume the way the scene plays out is justified in-universe...the Developer still chose to frame the story, characters, and situation in such a way that led to the sequence of events in the video. In this case, the scene plays into a very common stereotype for Black women. When you already have very few examples of Black women being represented in games at all, a conscious Developer making a decision to improve diversity needs to be very aware of the types of harmful stereotypes they should be avoiding.

In terms of your comment...a character can easily be shown to be the antagonist in a story through smarts or cunning for example (outsmarting Drake somehow). Or they can be portrayed as such through use of resources (calling guards or calling in favors to apprehend him later). Show of force isn't exclusively how you can portray someone as an antagonist. The developer could have adjusted the scenario and overall story to show conflict between characters in a way that avoids harmful stereotypes. Now lets say show of force is still used, there is a lot you can do with lighting, shot framing, and the length of the scene to adjust the impact as well. Assuming showing strength is the only way of establishing someone as an antagonist (which I'm saying is definitely not the case, but lets assume for argument), I'd say throwing Drake and having the table break or throwing him out of a window is too excessive to get that message across. Especially given the stereotypes OP highlighted. There are ways of practicing restraint to mitigate potential comparisons to harmful stereotypes that were definitely not taken in the scene.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Great post and an extremely important topic.

Games can and should play a huge role in reducing colorism in media, since, you know, the developers have 100% control over the skin tone of the characters they create.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Speaking of FFXIV, on top of everything that OP listed, two things that always bothered me were that Lyse's father, and most Ala Mhigans are dark skinned, yet Lyse is extremely pale. Another thing is that the Ananta's primal, Lakshmi, is clearly based off of the Hindu deity, yet she is also super pale and has straight hair. The Ananta, the beast tribe that worship her, are not pale, and their hair is more like braided or locked. However, she's their ideal of beauty. :/

Another general complaint is that while I love being able to make a character with skin like mine in a game like FFXIV, the character creator and the way lighting works on darker skin is very uh, terrible. It's not just a FFXIV problem, it's even worse in Phantasy Star Online 2. Even games with newer engines like Monster Hunter World on PS5 can have trouble translating my character's brown skin to the game world and all its different types of lighting. The fact that in 2020, my character that I designed to have brown skin either looks pale, grey, and ashy in gameplay or like their model glitched out still makes me feel like darker skinned folk are merely an afterthought to many game designers. Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet has like only one dark skin color and it's arguably just tan.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'll never understand Ansem the Wise having darker skin under the bandages

When he was "DiZ", it wasn't just dark skin...he literally was designed to look like a form/version/other half of the KH1 villain we simply knew as "Ansem" at the time. He didn't even have his beard in the appearance/form that was hidden under the bandages. His visible eye and skin were meant to lead people into believing that he was Ansem's Nobody or his Soul (a fan theory when KH2 was still years away). Even the ending of CoM (2004) had DiZ and Ansem standing close together in the credits and the heights and body shapes (as well as skin and eye color) looked nearly identical.

Now, I don't know if Nomura just intended the story and character plot to be different for DiZ and just stuck with the design, or he was drastically throwing people off in another direction with it, but I don't think he ever gave the actual appearance of "Ansem the Wise" dark skin under the bandages. It was just Ansem Seeker of Darkness under the bandages that was always implemented into the character since he was first introduced.

I'm not excusing Nomura or SE, since both are guilty of what this topic is bringing attention to, but I believe that Ansem the Wise in his bandaged "DiZ" form was poorly explained and misunderstood.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while I do 100% understand the point in which you are making I don't think that anti-aqua image you are using in the OP is a good point, if you look at her model in the journal she still has her normal skin colour

latest

I believe it's just the lighting in that scene that makes it look like she has a darker skin colour. The whole dark skin problem is only with characters that are different version of xehanort and not just characters that are exposed to the darkness (though i don't know what the deal is with DiZ and Ansem)
That's fair, I'll edit it out then.

Edit: I do want to point out that a lot of fanart of Dark Aqua before the game even released had her drawn with brown/darker skin. While even if her actual skin color hadn't changed within the game, being corrupted by darkness = having brown skin had become so engrained into people's minds due to harmful ideas related to colorism KH pushes that people just assumed she had dark skin.

Last edited: