• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm in some fucking kind of bizarro world where an obviously great game is considered a bad one.

This game jumps out immediately as being as good as something like Luigi's Mansion 3. Are people gonna tell me that game sucks next?

I knew when I first played Color Splash that it was an end of gen Wii U game and the quality signaled what was to come from their next console. And I was right.

I'd love a Switch port or a sequel.
No because Luigi's Mansion 3 is great. Color Splssh is not. Color Splash is exactly the kind of "Quality" Nintendo has avoided with The Switch for the most part. Color Splash was a perfectly fitting game to cap off a horrible system like the Wii U. Which was home to some of Nintendo's most dissapointing games.

I feel like i'm in bizzaro world when defenders of Color Splash claim its great. How can a game so boring to play ever be considered great? It is truly baffling to me. It ranks righ alongside games like Star Fox Zero, Amiibo Festival, Federation Force and Other M. Shallow uninteresting garbage.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
OP's premise is false though, Color Splash is a good game, extremely well-crafted in every single department and possibly the best-written Nintendo game of forever.

To say it's a BAD game is just as objectively wrong as saying Sticker Star was a 1/10 game. Ridicuolous hyperbole from butthurt TTYD fans who just can't move on.
I'd sooner replay Color Splash than any of the two latest Mario & Luigi games, that's a given.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love when someone tells someone else they're using hyperbole and yet they're using hyperbole themselves lol.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem there is that at the release of Colour Splash, Mario and Luigi had also taken a nosedive in quality. I liked Dream Team, but my god was it a drag...and then Paper Jam also axed every original character and locale.

Also I do think they're different beasts. While I like M&L, the combat got progressively lengthier as the games went on, with increasingly complex attack animations. TTYD was way more quick and snappy

I liked Dream Team, but Paper Jam was creatively bankrupt compared to its prequels.

I'm really curious what's next for Paper Mario, I definitely think they're done with the sticker stuff.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
No because Luigi's Mansion 3 is great. Color Splssh is not. Color Splash is exactly the kind of "Quality" Nintendo has avoided with The Switch for the most part. Color Splash was a perfectly fitting game to cap off a horrible system like the Wii U. Which was home to some of Nintendo's most dissapointing games.

I feel like i'm in bizzaro world when defenders of Color Splash claim its great. How can a game so boring to play ever be considered great? It is truly baffling to me. It ranks righ alongside games like Star Fox Zero, Amiibo Festival, Federation Force and Other M. Shallow uninteresting garbage.
Color splash kind of feels like other m to where it got so much backlash that a lot of people want to contrarianly defend it

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I liked Dream Team, but Paper Jam was creatively bankrupt compared to its prequels.

I'm really curious what's next for Paper Mario, I definitely think they're done with the sticker stuff.
They said they wanted to experiment with something new.

Color splash kind of feels like other m to where it got so much backlash that a lot of people want to contrarianly defend it
Nah, it's rather Tropical Freeze and "Fucking Donkey Kong." (but worse than TF)

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The dialogue and visuals are fantastic, everything else is still dogshit though. Give me the old combat and partners back. Give me visually unique and distinct characters or don't bother.

Jan 10, 2018
Well it is a nintendo game on era receiving criticism it'll get defended regardless of quality.

You already got dogpiled for being obviously wrong, but I feel like adding that there hasn't been another publisher like Nintendo which released games which utterly broke parts of the community.

The last Paper Mario games, where are my dungeons in Breath of Wild to most recently Sword and Shield, there is a whole bunch of Nintendo games which left people utterly hurt and incaple of understanding that many people still managed to enjoy those games.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Wow, talking about Paper Mario is really unrewarding.

I like Sticker Star and Color Splash better than TTYD (which I also like, and would love to see re-released) because I prefer adventure games to RPGs, and they offer esoteric, exploration-based gameplay that appeals to me greatly.

Different people like different things, this is fundamental to meaningful discussion of any topic so you're not just bigging yourself up for liking the correct stuff. I could tell you how I find TTYD extremely shallow and uninteresting in its core gameplay compared to the later, reviled sequels, but all Paper Mario discussion ends up going the same way and it's a waste of time. I suppose the best thing to focus on is how interesting it is that Nintendo enacted such a huge change to one of their more critically acclaimed series.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So if dark souls 4 comes out and is completely different from the first three with most of those elements gone, how will people here react?
There will be people who will cry but if it is a good game there will be people who will enjoy it. It's what you get when you let the devs experiment and try new ideas.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Huge Paper Mario fan and I (mostly) loved it. I've always preferred the original to TTYD, and combat encounters in Color Splash reminded me more of the 64 game in that they feel more puzzle-y. It also had some of the most memorable and funny setpieces of the series to me.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I like how criticism is considering "crying" now, lmao.
You can criticize many things of Color Splash. The simple fact of "It's not like before" however is not a legitimate criticism. If Dark Souls 4 is different but still has the same quality, yes, I think criticizing the fact that it is not as before will be an empty and not constructive criticism.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Despite my misgivings about combat and generic npcs, I really enjoyed my time with Color Splash just because of the adventure elements and beautiful world. Paper Mario, even stripped down like that, is too charming to me.

I also (merely) liked Sticker Star the first time I played it, but I was reeeeeaaaaaaally hungry for a new Paper Mario at the time and a visually nice, portable one impressed me. In retrospect my dissappointment with everything else compared to the beta screenshots still irks me to no end. Color Splash is a significant step up, especially with the paint and EXP system, even if it is still the wrong direction for Paper Mario.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how passionate some people get about someone just being so disappointed in a series they once loved getting ruined to them.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm in some fucking kind of bizarro world where an obviously great game is considered a bad one.

This game jumps out immediately as being as good as something like Luigi's Mansion 3. Are people gonna tell me that game sucks next?

I knew when I first played Color Splash that it was an end of gen Wii U game and the quality signaled what was to come from their next console. And I was right.

I'd love a Switch port or a sequel.
I mean he and plenty of others made it clear what was wrong with the game. The combat shouldn't even have existed if it would just be braindead outside of bosses. The "reward" for battles wasn't worth engaging enemies rather than just ignoring them entirely. And when you have an RPG without memorable characters or a good combat system, I'm not sure what you're not getting in terms of people's disdain for the game.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yuoke, why do you always have so much to say about Color Splash when you always went on about how you've never played it :P

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No I'm questioning why people get angry at arlo for giving his opinions that they disagree with.
Because he has made the same video on the same subject more times and people are tired of it because the video does not add anything he has not said before. People are not angry, they are bored.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can criticize many things of Color Splash. The simple fact of "It's not like before" however is not a legitimate criticism. If Dark Souls 4 is different but still has the same quality, yes, I think criticizing the fact that it is not as before will be an empty and not constructive criticism.
Being different is the least of Color Splash's issues. I'd argue the differences is the one area it did right.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arlo's video was him playing the game again to see if his view points on it changed. He came out of it realizing his positive points were more positive and his negative points were more negative. His Color Splash video from years ago really made his channel grow.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Because he has made the same video on the same subject more times and people are tired of it because the video does not add anything he has not said before. People are not angry, they are bored.
This is like the first video has has made on it for I think over a year. Plus it was the subject that originally made him popular. Now people don't like it all of the sudden.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Being different is the least of Color Splash's issues. I'd argue the differences is the one area it did right.
I know, but youke is saying that "People are angry because tit has hanged" and have put a hypothetical example of Dark Souls 4.

This is like the first video has has made on it for I think over a year. Plus it was the subject that originally made him popular. Now people don't like it all of the sudden.

Just as you have the right to dislike Color Splash, people have the right to dislike Arlo.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird to see someone get so disliked for just giving honest opinions. Not bullshitting or being antagonistic or trolling...just opinions.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's so weird to see someone get so disliked for just giving honest opinions. Not bullshitting or being antagonistic or trolling...just opinions.
If you repeat the same opinion over and over again and the arguments you make do not convince someone, it is normal that someone does not like you.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
OP's premise is false though, Color Splash is a good game, extremely well-crafted in every single department and possibly the best-written Nintendo game of forever.

To say it's a BAD game is just as objectively wrong as saying Sticker Star was a 1/10 game. Ridicuolous hyperbole from butthurt TTYD fans who just can't move on.
I'd sooner replay Color Splash than any of the two latest Mario & Luigi games, that's a given.
So an opinion is only OBJECTIVELY false if you disagree.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yes, I did? Just like probably every other video he made on the subject of Paper Mario. Did you? You'll be shocked to find out that not everyone who watched it will find this video particularly interesting or insightful.

Not finding it interesting or insightful is fine but to claim there's no reason to make this video because you don't like it is hella rude.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I unsubscribed Arlo's channel a while ago (last Direct, actually; he was whinning about of the lack of Metroid Prime trilogy, a port of a Wii compilation, while saying Xenoblade Definitive Edition, a big remaster of a very limited release, wasn't a good closure material lol), but the worst thing I've heard from him saying, was him twisting somehow AlphaDream's bankruptcy into something good for the future of Mario RPGs, therefore his precious Paper Mario would return to form..

So selfish...

I unsubscribed to Arlo awhile back as well, I was tired of listening to a guy who tries to talk about a wide range of topic but continues to expose himself as being extremely limited in his knowledge and amateur in his takes.

Saying Color Splash had bad gameplay but great comedy isn't a surprise, that's been what everyone said about if for years. It sucks that Mario RPGs are seemingly dead despite the fans clamoring for another game in the style of SMRPG or Paper Mario 1-2.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What has Color Splash done different that's better?
imo it was the comedy aspect. PM has always had humor, but CS felt like it wasn't even taking itself seriously and went all out with the references and fourth wall breaking which I found to be hilarious. And the painting/more puzzle focused aspect of the game I actually enjoyed. The combat was the real failing of the game.

I unsubscribed Arlo's channel a while ago (last Direct, actually; he was whinning about of the lack of Metroid Prime trilogy, a port of a Wii compilation, while saying Xenoblade Definitive Edition, a big remaster of a very limited release, wasn't a good closure material lol), but the worst thing I've heard from him saying, was him twisting somehow AlphaDream's bankruptcy into something good for the future of Mario RPGs, therefore his precious Paper Mario would return to form..

So selfish...
I screamed in front of my roommates to XBDE being announced, but are we really going to act like most people would respond the same to a niche JRPG that sold on a console after its death as they would to one of Nintendo's bigger properties? My personal bias aside, his complaint was far from unreasonable.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If you repeat the same opinion over and over again and the arguments you make do not convince someone, it is normal that someone does not like you.

I just search this channel and the last Color Splash specific video he made before this one was 3 years ago. With the other other ones being a video about hoping that they remaster Thousand Years Door and another hoping that they bring back the old style of Paper Mario based on how well the Switch is doing.

So... yeah your kind of overselling how often he makes video on this stuff. Sounds like your just mad.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
imo it was the comedy aspect. PM has always had humor, but CS felt like it wasn't even taking itself seriously and went all out with the references and fourth wall breaking which I found to be hilarious. And the painting/more puzzle focused aspect of the game I actually enjoyed. The combat was the real failing of the game.
That's why its subjective and can't be considered objectively better. I don't like the self referential or 4th wall break humor at all. I want story and character based humor and that's all gone.
Arlo can consider himself lucky that I gave my honest feedback and he doesn't have to wonder why I unsubscribed from his channel a while ago.
I doubt he knows you unsubscribed.