• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend loves the Paper Mario series, and loved Color Splash.

My impression is that Nintendo is making these games for a particular group of players, and the players who complain about every entry after TTYD are simply not in that demographic anymore.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well I thought the writing was pretty good personally. I do think they need to go back to more variety when it comes to NPCs absolutely.
The writing would be good if it was like a nintendo deadpool game or something. All the humor I loved in the first two was pretty much all based on the characters and story and not like 4th wall breaks and references and stuff. You have to do that though when there is barely an actual story and no unique characters or bosses.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
They could have just made the combat better. You know the combat is broken if the most optimal strategy for most of the fights is running away from battle or avoiding enemies entirely. How did a combat system this bad ever get past playtesting? It is truly baffling.
Of course, but that would take more effort, and I don't expect Nintendo to care that much about this series, going by the end result.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Color Splash is hot trash. Not as bad as Sticker Star. But still severely disappointing. And despite Nintendo killing it with the switch, I still am awaiting further redemption.

I would destroy everyone's favorite game of 2019, just to erase Sticker Star and Color Splash from history. Hyperbolic? Maybe.

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario and Luigi is a different series and yeah, it's battle system is more engaging.

Paper Mario's combat has always been super simple. I mean, it's not bad but it's not anything special I don't think. It's just there. I would agree that what Colour Splash did is probably a bit worse but not massively so. It's not completely broken at least. That's just being extremely hyperbolic. The series strength has always been the story and goofy characters anyway.

You had...
Enemy variety.
Tons of varied Badges.
FP points.
Tons of varied Items.
Partners.
Exp points.
More action commands.
Special moves.
A functional economy.

Paper Mario never featured some half assed combat system in comparison to other RPG series . It was on par if not better than most others at the time and still is fun to this day to play.

Color Splash had essentially no depth in its combat system. The most optimal thing you could do in Color Splash was to run away from fights or avoid fighting entirely. That is broken. That is infinitely worse than what was in the previous games. This was the biggest problem with Sticker Star and Color Splash did nothing to resolve this MASSIVELY GLARING issue. So as a sequel Color Splash is a complete failure.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I ended up loving Sticker Star, but I don't have much nostalgia for the older Paper Mario games.
Its actually one of my favorite 3DS games.

You have to go into it knowing it isn't really an RPG, but an adventure game (like point and click) where you collect stickers, use them to solve puzzles, and it just happens to have turn based combat.
The environments are ful to explore, the puzzles can be satisfying, and the boss fights make good use of the sticker gimmick (they're like puzzles themselves).

I was hoping Nintendo would re-release Color Splash on Switch, but at this point I'm probably safe to just get it for the Wii U since I doubt it'll get a re-release anytime soon.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Color Splash would've been a much stronger game if they committed to the adventure setup as opposed to retaining Sticker Star's combat.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm surprised how many in this thread are acting like this video "has it out" for Color Splash? Yeah, it's negative, but he explains *why* he's upset with it, and it makes a lot of sense. Arlo is plenty positive about games when he wants to be (his RingFit review is a great example of that!), so seeing folks act like he's too critical just doesn't make sense to me. He's plenty positive, but as he's lamented on numerous occasions - his negative videos just tend to spread more.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Color Splash had essentially no depth in its combat system. The most optimal thing you could do in Color Splash was to run away from fights or avoid fighting entirely. That is broken. That is infinitely worse than what was in the previous games. This was the biggest problem with Sticker Star and Color Splash did nothing to resolve this MASSIVELY GLARING issue. So as a sequel Color Splash is a complete failure.

YES! Sticker Star was the same. Once I got to the first boss, I realized how pointless the battles were. There was literally zero benefit. How anyone thinks that makes a good game...blows my mind.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Sticker Star and Color Splash are puzzle games. Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door are RPGs where you use like two moves most of the time. I prefer the puzzles; most of y'all seem to prefer the other thing. We will never understand each other.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sticker Star and Color Splash are puzzle games. Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door are RPGs where you use like two moves most of the time. I prefer the puzzles; most of y'all seem to prefer the other thing. We will never understand each other.
Yep.

If anything, my beef with SS and CS are that they maintained so many RPG elements but they serve little to no purpose. I'd rather they make a puzzle/adventure game without battles, etc.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I love puzzle games, and dislike Color Splash because of its RPG elements.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Arlo seems depressed in all his videos.

I agree with this, and will go further: There are enough human YouTubers spreading negativity and depression in gaming, don't need to have puppets do it, too. Talk about beating a dead horse with this video, btw, looking at Arlo's other vids on Paper Mario.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I agree with this, and will go further: There are enough human YouTubers spreading negativity and depression in gaming, don't need to have puppets do it, too. Talk about beating a dead horse with this video, btw, looking at Arlo's other vids on Paper Mario.
Now that you say it is perhaps because of the puppet that I think that. It looks like a sad puppet.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Color Splash was a pretty decent game, though. Not a great one, but it wasn't terrible. It's way better than Sticker Star (not saying much, I realize), with the series' best humor and writing since The Thousand-Year Door, a fantastic soundtrack, and great visuals. The battle system was definitely its biggest letdown and they should've moved on from the Sticker Star formula instead of trying to refine/better it, but I don't regret playing it and my wife had a blast with it too.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still have the copy of an old friend of mine. Never bothered to finish it after a couple of hours in. At least it fills in my collection quite nicely.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not beating a dead horse, it's a series that means a ton to him that he loved and it was ran into the ground. Why do people care if he wants to keep criticising? Like, you won't see people here complaining about mass effect andromeda threads or stuff like that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to get too much into this since this is probably one of the topics I'm most passionate about. Good on Arlo. He loves Nintendo for sure. I do expect Paper Mario is returning to its rpg roots and will release in 2020 or 2021.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Talk about beating dead horse. I don't think this game really needed to be revisited. It's not bad or good or even interesting enough on any level that a reassessment of its qualities and failings is in order. Whatever needs to be said about the game has been said ad nauseam: It's graphics are good, the combat system is bad, the writing is a step in the right direction, the lack of unique characters is disappointing etc. etc. And if there was some miraculous new insight to be made about it, Arlo wouldn't be the one to make it.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want Thousand Year Door 2 as much as the next Internet Forum Poster, but I really did end up enjoying Color Splash more than I expected. It's easy as Arlo points out pretty extensively, but I didn't really mind it when I played through, because I really enjoyed the humor and characters.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I want Thousand Year Door 2 as much as the next Internet Forum Poster, but I really did end up enjoying Color Splash more than I expected. It's easy as Arlo points out pretty extensively, but I didn't really mind it when I played through, because I really enjoyed the humor and characters.
Yeah, I really agree whether IS returns to RPG or expands puzzles and adventure. As long as they have the artistic freedom to do what they want and do it well, both things seem fine to me.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with the general sentiment, Color Splash was amazing and it was the combat that held it back, the writing and humour was on point.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never give Color Splash's combat the time of day after Sticker Star. Don't care how "charming" any of the other aspects are. That just means it's better to watch it than to play it.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Sticker Star was truly a insufferable game.
One of the worst games I've ever played, along with FF13-2.
I cannot fathom how people can say they actually enjoyed it.
The Birdo song was genuinely the only positive note for me throughout the entire miserable experience.

Paper Mario and Super Paper are both great games.
TTYD is one of the best games ever.

Never played Color Splash and don't really have an opinion on it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sticker Star was truly a insufferable game.
One of the worst games I've ever played, along with FF13-2.
I cannot fathom how people can say they actually enjoyed it.
The Birdo song was genuinely the only positive note for me throughout the entire miserable experience.

Paper Mario and Super Paper are both great games.
TTYD is one of the best games ever.

Never played Color Splash and don't really have an opinion on it.
"The Birdo song". Wasn't that in Color Splash?

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
I unsubscribed Arlo's channel a while ago (last Direct, actually; he was whinning about of the lack of Metroid Prime trilogy, a port of a Wii compilation, while saying Xenoblade Definitive Edition, a big remaster of a very limited release, wasn't a good closure material lol), but the worst thing I've heard from him saying, was him twisting somehow AlphaDream's bankruptcy into something good for the future of Mario RPGs, therefore his precious Paper Mario would return to form..

So selfish...
Yeah I unsubscribed to him too, he is just awfully negative about everything, and really full of bs.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I am tired of OP shitting on one of my favorite games constantly. We all understand you don't like the direction Paper Mario has taken. Personally I prefer it, every other game seems to be shoving on RPG elements, it's nice to see a series go the other direction for a change. Paper Mario Color Splash is possibly the funniest game I've ever played and is dripping with charm throughout. It's a pretty unique and excellent game.

Edit: I am fine with people disagreeing with me but the nonstop hatred on this game from OP and some others is getting old.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
some of the least interesting gameplay ive ever tried to drudge through

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Colour Splash did have a funny localisation, but it's lack of a storyline and terribly boring combat made it one of the least interesting games I've ever played

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why some people hate this game so much, it's fine, not particularly good but perfectly fine. The whole backlash felt divorced from what the game actually was.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So much fan drama over the assorted Mario RPG subseries when they never are tentpole releases nor given center stage by Nintendo. (PM2 was a top selling Gamecube title, but that says more about the Gamecube than the game itself.) How many zealous SMRPG fans despise everything the creators made afterwards (including Color Splash, written entirely by one of SMRPG's writers)? Plus weird online petitions for a gun-puppet to get into smash, yet saying "good riddance" to the creators' company's bankruptcy.
Color Splash's writing is one of like the only unanimously praised things about it along with the art style/graphics and music.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Color Splash is hot garbage and deserves to be shit on at every opportunity. Arlo doing good work.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that Arlo specifically talks about fan backlash and outrage when...there really wasn't that much of it? And it wasn't that vocal? It's just a thing he saw a lot of because he went looking for it.

I feel relieved to know I was justified in skipping this game.
You weren't, it's a great game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
People claiming this game is "garbage" need to get a grip. Get a better vocabulary that doesn't rely on hyperbole. Do you know a quality videogame when you see one?

- music is excellent
- visuals are gorgeous
- game is hilarious
- game is fun as fuck
- too bad you wanted this to be something else, but what we got was great

BOTW wasn't exactly what I was hoping it to be either but the end result was a solid game I'd be an idiot to shit on.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why some people hate this game so much, it's fine, not particularly good but perfectly fine. The whole backlash felt divorced from what the game actually was.

By itself it's a funny, colourful but ultimately flawed game, but within context it's a less favourable direction for a cult classic series that doesn't really have many substitutes. It also released during a time where Nintendo were streamlining the Mario brand by axing spin-off exclusive characters, locales and storylines.

I agree that if you divorce the game from the rest of the Wii U and 3DS Mario games and ignore the rest of the Paper Mario series, then it's easier to enjoy. But I can't really do that as the game isn't good enough by itself. It's just a shame really