• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Both Netflix and Amazon are in need of SciFi shows

Doing something with SyFy should prepare people though, they cancel your shit in the third season to avoid syndication.

Like clockwork

Colony was on USA, although it might have been simulcast on Syfy for later airings.

In fairness to Syfy they at least let 12 Monkeys conclude with 4 seasons and Killjoys is getting 5 seasons to finish its story.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Colony was on USA, although it might have been simulcast on Syfy for later airings.

In fairness to Syfy they at least let 12 Monkeys conclude with 4 seasons and Killjoys is getting 5 seasons to finish its story.
SyFy hosts the official podcast of the show. Usually Scifi shows on USA are done with SyFy

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of points....

- USA and Syfy are both under NBCUniversal's cable branch, thus the connections on things like the podcast.
- The show isn't likely to be picked up by someone else due to the complicated way it's structured on the business side. I believe the cast options have also expired, so some of the main cast might move onto other projects in the near future.
- The S3 finale wasn't intended as a series finale, so there are a lot of loose ends that aren't going to be tied up.

In any case, hope they go out with a bang on Wednesday.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of points....

- USA and Syfy are both under NBCUniversal's cable branch, thus the connections on things like the podcast.
- The show isn't likely to be picked up by someone else due to the complicated way it's structured on the business side. I believe the cast options have also expired, so some of the main cast might move onto other projects in the near future.
- The S3 finale wasn't intended as a series finale, so there are a lot of loose ends that aren't going to be tied up.

:(

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of points....

The business side of things isn't really more complicated than Lucifer's but then again I'm not sure Josh and Peter are as invested in the show as Tom Ellis was

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of points....

This is what I figured. Kind of sad cause S3 sorta felt like the show was gearing up for a lot of bigger things.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Series finale tonight:
What Goes Around

Will must make a sacrifice to protect his family. Katie races to save the refugees outside Seattle's walls. Snyder struggles to control a Colony amidst the chaos of war. Bram and Gracie make a big decision.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I recently tore through my backlog and am current on S3 in time for the finale.

• Did we find out for sure what was happening with the "Bus D" folks getting "transferred to Portland"? Is this the IGA sending them to a factory, or is this Kynes sending them elsewhere in order to keep his colony stats up (at least while he was still trying to keep the IGA out of Seattle, before recent events)?
  • Did we find out what the coordinates Kynes got from the Rap meant? Or just waiting for that to be revealed in the finale.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I recently tore through my backlog and am current on S3 in time for the finale.

• Did we find out for sure what was happening with the "Bus D" folks getting "transferred to Portland"? Is this the IGA sending them to a factory, or is this Kynes sending them elsewhere in order to keep his colony stats up (at least while he was still trying to keep the IGA out of Seattle, before recent events)?
  • Did we find out what the coordinates Kynes got from the Rap meant? Or just waiting for that to be revealed in the finale.

No to both. We know they aren't beeing sent to portland though because Katie went there and the buses clearly were going to some sort of factory.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I wish more series were given a chance to wrap up their story instead of being canceled after the season's already in the can.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Woooow lol

If no one picks this up for another season, I don't think I can recommend it anymore.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Colony Official Podcast Final Episode
Colonists, we never wanted this non-Greatest Day to arrive, but it's here. With the airing of "What Goes Around," Colony the series comes to a close due to cancellation.

Yes, it ends on a cliffhanger, which is frustrating to everyone, but that doesn't dim the intelligence, heart, and hope that the series achieved, and extolled, over three seasons.

Colony: The Official Podcast host Tara Bennett, SYFY WIRE's West Coast senior producer, joins Colony co-creator/executive producer Ryan J. Condal and executive producer Wes Tooke one last time to discuss the character arcs, the legacy of the series as a whole, but most importantly, to thank the incredible cast, crew, and fans for their dedication to the show.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
that sucked, man. I can't get over this any time soon...

It's about the journey and all that and I really enjoyed it for the most part, but shiiiit... I'd read the rest of the story if they publish it.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yup.

I don't regret having watched for the past 3 years, but I can't imagine binging and then it just ends there.

So, this is where my wife and I are. We started watching earlier in the summer when I saw S1 and 2 were on Netflix and it had "Sawyer" and "Lori". Burned through S1, went a little slower with S2 and made S3 appointment television.

This blows.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

Listened to this last night, didn't really offer any insight into where the story might have gone. They seemed content to let the fans write their own stories in their heads. There was a lot of appreciation for fans being behind the show, the cast, and more people discovering the show down the line. Seemed like they had a 5 season plan for the story. Didn't seem like they were in talks with anyone about moving to another network, unless they are keeping that info close to the chest.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Sigh... that ending...

It doesn't even feel like a "Next season..." cliffhanger, more like the episode you have to set up a two part finale.

Man this series just needs like a four episode miniseries to finish it up. Colony: Peacekeeper Wars

Episode start off like it would have a lot of momentum too - the opening scene was basically 'Shit be going down now!', but then like 20m of the remaining 35m was chatting and decision making. Again, would have been a great setup for a finale, and would have worked as a season finale cliffhanger, but as the end? Ugh. Nothing I hate more than series' getting killed off after a season is filmed . I think back to Stargate SG1 - IIRC it basically had three different 'Series Finale' episodes - S8 was written as both a season and series finale, S10 was a definitive finale, and I think one of the earlier seasons had an ending that was somewhat series finale-y too. Some warning that they *could* be cancelled and given the space to write an end that worked both ways would have been great. Yeah it sorta backfired in Babylon 5 as it burned through the 5 year arc after 4 years due to cancellation warning, but it at least got though the main arc.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty disappointed by the episode, and would have been even if there was another season next year. There was too much hem-hawing around and I feel like they've really sidelined Maddie for the past few episodes. It started with a bang, then typical drama stuff, then the writers said "oh shit this is the finale" and the last couple minutes just setup ridiculous cliffhangers. And would it kill them to give us an actual close-up of predator-alien-lady-whatever? Budget-saving yada yada.

Not only did they setup a cliffhanger for a next season with the war and where characters are (and if they are alive or dead), they really didn't close up many previous loose ends either. Pods, predator-alien attacking, Kynes interaction with raps.

"We have to fix the small problems before we fix the big problems" okay but how are you going to find the kids if the colony is destroyed and you're dead? Maybe try the big problems first, since they are a little bit...time-sensitive.

I also hate the Bram storyline and that kid sucks at acting. That story arc will be the death of this show.

oh wait

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Season 4 is just an all out war between the Demis and Hosts w/ Outliers. By the end of it the Hosts realise all they had to do was ask for help instead of enslaving everyone, they come around and actually ask. Humanity helps. One final Host sacrifices itself to completely wipe out the Demis. At the very last second the final remaining Demis also sees the error of it's way but it's too late. Boom. Done. Earth is free of aliens. Humanity rebuilds, the end. My head canon ending.

That finale was such a massive tease for another season. Such a shame. The show was very low-key but it was intriguing.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I was pretty disappointed by the episode, and would have been even if there was another season next year. There was too much hem-hawing around and I feel like they've really sidelined Maddie for the past few episodes. It started with a bang, then typical drama stuff, then the writers said "oh shit this is the finale" and the last couple minutes just setup ridiculous cliffhangers. And would it kill them to give us an actual close-up of predator-alien-lady-whatever? Budget-saving yada yada.

Not only did they setup a cliffhanger for a next season with the war and where characters are (and if they are alive or dead), they really didn't close up many previous loose ends either. Pods, predator-alien attacking, Kynes interaction with raps.

"We have to fix the small problems before we fix the big problems" okay but how are you going to find the kids if the colony is destroyed and you're dead? Maybe try the big problems first, since they are a little bit...time-sensitive.

I also hate the Bram storyline and that kid sucks at acting. That story arc will be the death of this show.

oh wait

Being dead is the big problem that trumps all the little ones. Unfortunately. I'm kinda pissed my favorite show ended like this.

I remember when Spartacus ended. I was kinda devastated. but I felt complete as well.

This...Loved this show and it ended like that.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Being dead is the big problem that trumps all the little ones. Unfortunately. I'm kinda pissed my favorite show ended like this.

I remember when Spartacus ended. I was kinda devastated. but I felt complete as well.

This...Loved this show and it ended like that.
The ending is akin to V's. Show ends when stuff is about to get real

At least in V, The bram like kid got what he deserved

Oct 25, 2017
Tyler was waaaaaaay worse than Bram though. I don't like that 'stoic act' thing either, but at least Bram has something like earnest characterization. I have to admit I was rooting for the reveal of Will finding him bleeding out and having to betray his group, leading to the colony getting blown the fuck up in the end.

Broussards description of that base sounds very X-Com though. So, if you must have a head canon ending: Broussard leads an X-Com based rebellion, winds up losing because too difficult. That's X-com, baby!

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched the finale, and just found out the show is cancelled. Absolutely gutted. This is just fucking horse-shit. Seems like any show I actually love (and there's not many I do) ALWAYS get cancelled. Such a well made and intriguing show. I'm devastated that we get ZERO resolution about anything. Why does this deserve to get cancelled and not all the other trash out there? I guess people love watching garbage.

It's utterly cruel to abruptly cancel these kinds of story driven shows, who demand from you patience in order for the questions and mysteries to be resolved. Like, is it THAT difficult to at least have another half season, just to do the world justice and have some kind of resolution? It's so absurd watching restlessly for things to unfold, then getting fucked.

Literally my favorite show since LOST.

Last edited:

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Broussards description of that base sounds very X-Com though. So, if you must have a head canon ending: Broussard leads an X-Com based rebellion, winds up losing because too difficult. That's X-com, baby!
You just reminded me that I got really into Xcom 2 when season 2 was airing. If they reveal there was a Skyranger in season 4 I'm going to be really depressed.

I don't understand audiences. How did a shitty show like Falling Skies get 5 seasons but a genuinely great show like this get canceled before a proper ending. I'm guessing it was marketing.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
You just reminded me that I got really into Xcom 2 when season 2 was airing. If they reveal there was a Skyranger in season 4 I'm going to be really depressed.

I don't understand audiences. How did a shitty show like Falling Skies get 5 seasons but a genuinely great show like this get canceled before a proper ending. I'm guessing it was marketing.
Spielberg

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I've only just found out this was cancelled, currently watching the show on Netflix and not sure if it's worth continuing now.

I've just finished episode 10 of season 2 but if the show doesn't resolve the main story I think I'll just start watching something else.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Return of shitty Bram.

I thought I could get over the cancellation but that cliffhanger....

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't mind the ending, no point in rushing something together to book end it. If they somehow manage another season it will be the right decision. I can sort of see it in my head anyway, people made their choice, rest of humanity stands together without oversight, IGA wiped out, they fight as equals, do they win, who knows.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best things about Colony were the radical tonal shifts from season to season( sometimes within seasons). S4 was poised see the biggest leap with the show breaking out into full fledged fucking Halo. Such shame, even with just a 6-8 episode order they could've gotten to a satisfying conclusion.

Hannibal, Dark Matter, The Expanse, now this. NBC Universal shows are going to be a hard sell for me going forward.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
Man, this cliffhanger! They really weren't aware of any possible seried cancellation on the way.

I don't know where they could have gone from here, but it could have meant anything from a clean slate (like S3's second half) or a serious full scale war into who knows where... and everything after we finally saw what these "other" enemy aliens look like! It's really a bummer that nobody has picked up this series thus far (c'mon Netflix! Do your magic!) but it really is/was something different.

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
Pretty poor final ep. Rushed and fractured.

Not that disappointing in the end that that's that.

I mean they could even stretch the budget to get 150 extras to cover the 150 outliers needed to turn up to the island. Or even film on the island.

Deleted member 21431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just watched the finale. Damn shame it ended like it did. Would have loved to have had a season 4 to resolve all the plot lines.

It was a very good show though much better than Falling Skies.