• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A cardboard hospital bed that doubles as a coffin may seem morbid, but as Latin America emerges as the latest coronavirus hotspot, doctors have suggested it may be an innovation whose time has come.

With Covid-19 cases surging across the region, a team of Colombian designers came up with the idea as a grimly pragmatic solution for anticipated shortages of hospital beds and funerary caskets.

"We were shut down for a couple of months like everyone else, until we had this idea," said Rodolfo Gómez, the founder of ABC Displays, which normally creates cardboard advertising props. "But when we saw what was happening in Ecuador, where bodies were piling up on the streets, we knew we had to prepare somehow."

"People might say that we are making death beds, but we are trying to help during a crisis," he added.

The company says it is fielding interest from potential clients in the US, Brazil, Mexico, Peru and Chile, and has promised to donate 10 beds to a hospital in Leticia, a hard-hit city in Colombia's Amazon.

But although the idea is unorthodox, doctors have not dismissed it out of hand.

"Honestly, if cases spiral out of control and there's a desperate need for beds, and cheaply, then this could prove a pretty ingenious solution," said Magda Tovar, a doctor in Bogotá, the capital.

More at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/27/colombia-coronavirus-cardboard-hospital-beds-coffins

Bury if old

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JFC

1280.jpg

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Its certainly a very practical solution, but this might be a case where practical has gone too far...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, no thanks. This is one of those things that doesn't need to be streamlined.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Man that's fucked up but it is very practical and probably very useful.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the adult equivalent of having Captain America visiting a sick child on an hospital

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That's gonna be a yikes from me.

But in a mass triage type of scenario where a hospital is overwhelmed and everything.... man, that's not the worst idea in the world.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I assume the cardboard coffin also decomposes faster, so it's good for the environment too.

Dec 25, 2018
Reminds me of a bit from one of Charlie Brookers pre-Black Mirror shows, 'How TV Ruined Your Life' would have hardly thought it would become partly a reality through a different context.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Doctor: "We are doing everything in our power to save your life....can you please lie in this coffin for now"

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That's like the most grim thing ever. You might as well have beds with a button that can just slide the patient into a furnace.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A boring pragmatic dystopia.

I got an idea for a hospital bed that can withstand cremation temperatures. Just wheel it in and then out.

Nov 2, 2017
Well it's definitely efficient I guess. Someone dies on the bed and you just pack em up like a package about to be shipped.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how to feel about this. Rationally, it is a good idea. But this might Fuck up people's spirit even more, which can be a factor too.