• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
How does a woman who worked on raiders, Jurassic park, ET and essentially every classic adventure film of the late 80s through 90s suck so goddamn hard at running star wars. Fucking obsidian entertainment were working out of their garage when they made kotor 2 and they hit that shit out of the part.
I really think it's the chemistry between her and Iger. Feige doesn't seem to be pushed to hit dates like Kennedy is and in general seems like he's allowed to do what he wants whereas there are stories of Iger not liking the creative of TROS and not budging on dates. If he was just a little bit more flexible, JJ would've done the whole trilogy

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
LOL, both TLJ and TROS have completely fucked up Star Wars canon forever to the point that re-visiting the post is now problematic
Nah this is dumb as hell. TLJ did more for canon than anything since Return. This is still kinda-maybe fucked. Shortening is appreciated if necessary. But The Mandalorion proves they can do it. I just want any good SW after Return. Mando's final episode helped.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
And again, compare the amount of those instances compared to the amount of times "IT'S ALL KATHLEEN'S FAULT" Iger gets nowhere near the amount of shit that Kathleen gets for ANYTHING SW related. And the reasons are pretty damn obvious. And no, it's not because "Well she's the head of Lucasfilm." Because no one bring up Kathleen Kennedy whenever they praise things like The Mandalorian.
People don't bring her up because everything else SW-related is a dumpster fire so it looks to be more the exception. It's really easy to A/B Lucasfilm and Marvel right now and see how fans treat and hold accountable certain executives for certain franchises. Feige probably gets more credit than he deserves just as she's probably get more blame than she deserves. That's part of being a leader.

Besides the Mandalorian really isn't that good anyway.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

f7dc2a2ea09af4177890654575aecf3e.png

She's the head of the studio that produces these movies.

Yes, yes it is like that. Like, read any "Bad SW news" thread on Era, compare the amount of times he's brought up compared to her. Like, genuinely do that.

Some of you need to make up your minds. Just a few years ago people turned up their noses at the mere mention that these were Disney's Star Wars movies and not Lucasfilm's.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Laugh it up. KK's management of SW has been thoroughly mediocre. Force Awakens was okay but merely a soft reboot. The spin offs were unnecessary, forgettable cash grabs. TLJ was competent but had a truck load of creative decisions which were reviled by fans. ROS was putrid garbage and completely irredeemable. The only positive thing I can say is at least the ST wasn't as bad as the prequels. That's not setting the bar very high though.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Man just imagining how awful kid Luke would have been. Bullet dodged. And do the opposite of the mandalorian. Actual characters and character development. I don't want to watch Ewan McGregor be an Obi Wan action figure.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
People don't bring her up because everything else SW-related is a dumpster fire so it looks to be more the exception.
🙄 🙄 🙄

I'm no longer entertaining the narrative that the vast majority of Disney SW content is bad, and i'm not gonna apologize for that. I don't like to entertain revisionist history. SW is toxic enough without giving that BS any weight.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
"It is unclear why scripts became an issue so late in the process. One source said the Kenobi story treaded similar ground as Mandalorian, seeing the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke and perhaps even a young Leia, perhaps mirroring how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protective custody."

Yikes

Oct 27, 2017
How does a woman who worked on raiders, Jurassic park, ET and essentially every classic adventure film of the late 80s through 90s suck so goddamn hard at running star wars. Fucking obsidian entertainment were working out of their garage when they made kotor 2 and they hit that shit out of the part.
A job running a studio and shepherding projects in a big series from creation to release is very different from what she was doing in the 80s and 90s. She didn't have to develop the idea for E.T., go through multiple writers, and find Spielberg in like a year while trying to set up six other movies.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And again, compare the amount of those instances compared to the amount of times "IT'S ALL KATHLEEN'S FAULT" Iger gets nowhere near the amount of shit that Kathleen gets for ANYTHING SW related. And the reasons are pretty damn obvious. And no, it's not because "Well she's the head of Lucasfilm." Because no one bring up Kathleen Kennedy whenever they praise things like The Mandalorian, no one brought up Kathleen when they praised TFA and TLJ. Kathleen is only a part of the conversation whenever people need to blame everything on a single person while they write out a shitpost about how SW sucks and nothing is good, (something verifiably not true btw).

I think the issue is no one knows how involved Horn and Iger are and Kathleen only started to get a bad rap after TLJ which was fueled by right wing trolls for the most part.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What were you guys saying about the rumors being fake again?
To be fair, it was initially a vague reasoning from Collider.

I've since accepted it after it came from a much more reliable source with a much better explanation. Apologies for being optimistic and questioning the initial report.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
"It is unclear why scripts became an issue so late in the process. One source said the Kenobi story treaded similar ground as Mandalorian, seeing the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke and perhaps even a young Leia, perhaps mirroring how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protective custody."

Yikes
Yeah if we avoided this it's a positive. I never want to see Muppet Babies Luke.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
And again, compare the amount of those instances compared to the amount of times "IT'S ALL KATHLEEN'S FAULT" Iger gets nowhere near the amount of shit that Kathleen gets for ANYTHING SW related. And the reasons are pretty damn obvious. And no, it's not because "Well she's the head of Lucasfilm." Because no one bring up Kathleen Kennedy whenever they praise things like The Mandalorian, no one brought up Kathleen when they praised TFA and TLJ. Kathleen is only a part of the conversation whenever people need to blame everything on a single person while they write out a shitpost about how SW sucks and nothing is good, (something verifiably not true btw).
Am I allowed to blame her for the sequels having no cohesive vision? We had two directors telling two completely different stories within a single trilogy.

When it comes to hiring people to direct a thing and then fuck off elsewhere, she's been half-decent. When it comes to managing a massive IP, she's doing a pretty shit job.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Am I allowed to blame her for the sequels having no cohesive vision?
You're allowed to blame JJ and Chris Terrio for not sticking the landing and doing their own thing with a revision of a script from the former director. TFA--TLJ WAS cohesive. TROS was and is the only film with major issues with coherence and themes.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing is really bizarre. Ewan was verbally attached to the project for years, they'd had a screenplay for a film version done for years, said just last year that it'd been reworked into a series and all those scripts were ready to go...and now suddenly, it's only two of six scripts are done and actually the fundamental story needs to be thrown out because it's too similar to Mandalorian, another show whose story has been in the works for years? How are these things not getting caught earlier?

Marvel had a similar situation with Ant-Man where they dumped a major creative player at the 11th hour despite years of collaborating, but between Solo, TROS, and now this Lucasfilm seems to be repeatedly stepping on this same rake.

What were you guys saying about the rumors being fake again?
The rumor had been that the show was cancelled, which isn't what's happening, so.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think we have plenty of reason to criticize Kennedy's judgement at this point tbh. Maybe the rewrite works out this time, who knows.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Im with you bro I only worked at Disney interactive though and only saw Iger's motorcade and a glimpse of Horn in the exec only cafe in Burbank while I was working there lol. Compared to where I am now ( in SF where the CEO is on stage every week) Iger and Horn both seemed super aloof to me. Their risk aversion DNA seems to be all over TROS though.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
You're allowed to blame JJ and Chris Terrio for not sticking the landing and doing their own thing with a revision of a script from the former director. TFA--TLJ WAS cohesive. TROS was and is the only film with major issues with coherence and themes.
I would say that letting directors "do their own thing" at the cost of narrative consistency is plenty worthy of blame.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue is no one knows how involved Horn and Iger are and Kathleen only started to get a bad rap after TLJ which was fueled by right wing trolls for the most part.
Iger is likely not involved in the day to day production on but he does set the release dates, which is what makes those productions so aggressively fast moving. Iger is the one who set the annual release schedule, Iger is the one who wanted TFA out in 2015 when Kennedy and JJ were fighting for 2016, and Iger's the one who - after Solo stumbled out of the gate - relented and accepted KK's request for a three-year pause on the movies. You can question her management decisions on making those release dates, but at the end of the day a far less aggressive release schedule would've made a world of difference on most of these movies and that falls on Iger.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iger is likely not involved in the day to day production on but he does set the release dates, which is what makes those productions so aggressively fast moving. Iger is the one who set the annual release schedule, Iger is the one who wanted TFA out in 2015 when Kennedy and JJ were fighting for 2016, and Iger's the one who - after Solo stumbled out of the gate - relented and accepted KK's request for a three-year pause on the movies. You can question her management decisions on making those release dates, but at the end of the day a far less aggressive release schedule would've made a world of difference on most of these movies and that falls on Iger.

Yep I agree; Iger also green lit Star Wars Land opening completely unfinished and canning Disney Infinity with bad decisions on the toy part with annual releases and not understanding video games so that tracks.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It came from Dicsussing Film.

No, for the five hundredth time, the original rumor came from six or seven different credible, well-connected Twitter accounts. COINCIDENTALLY, a hoax Twitter account (not DiscussingFilm, but an account parodying DiscussingFilm) with a handful of followers had also tweeted something about the Obi-Wan show being delayed a few days earlier. The Lucasfilm Defense Brigade (including a now-embarrassing piece from The Wrap) immediately started insisting all these insiders had somehow been fooled by a hoax account even though they all spoke to their own sources.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I would say that letting directors "do their own thing" at the cost of narrative consistency would be a pretty big error by somebody in her position.
I'm not sure she expected the two of them, after working with JJ specifically, who made TFA which as a reminder got critical acclaim and 2 billion, to completely ignore and/or misunderstand the themes of the TLJ. The last thing we need to storytellers being hampered and being told what to do every step of the way, that doesn't magically lead to better stories. However, the issue is still the following, 2/3rds of the ST are coherent. The intro, and middle. Are incredibly coherent. For the majority of people there was NO issue with TFA---->TLJ and it's revisionist history/living in a bubble of toxic narratives from "fans" to state otherwise.

B-b-b-but Kennedy is the head of Lucasfilm. Therefore everything you just stated is her fault.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Owen "Hi Ben, what you got there?"

Obi Wan "Oh, just a T16 I have no use for anymore that came in handy when I was away"

Owen "Those womprats better watch it"

Obi Wan "Need to be a good shot"

Owen "Luke, make sure you clean this T16 we kindly got from Ben."

Luke "Wow, sure thing Uncle Owen.....thanks...."

Obi Wan "Hello there."

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea Iger definitely should get blame for the release dates, those have caused a huge chunk of damage in terms of everybody being rushed.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, for the five hundredth time, the original rumor came from six or seven different credible, well-connected Twitter accounts. COINCIDENTALLY, a hoax Twitter account (not DiscussingFilm, but an account parodying DiscussingFilm) with a handful of followers had also tweeted something about the Obi-Wan show being delayed a few days earlier. The Lucasfilm Defense Brigade (including a now-embarrassing piece from The Wrap) immediately started insisting all these insiders had somehow been fooled by a hoax account even though they all spoke to their own sources.
You're talking about this right?
EPAOn37WAAE2kkz

But Ewan's not leaving tho.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure she expected the two of them, after working with JJ specifically, who made TFA which as a reminder got critical acclaim and 2 billion, to completely ignore and/or misunderstand the themes of the TLJ. The last thing we need to storytellers being hampered and being told what to do every step of the way, that doesn't magically lead to better stories. However, the issue is still the following, 2/3rds of the ST are coherent. The intro, and middle. Are incredibly coherent. There was NO issue with TFA---->TLJ and it's revisionist history/living in a bubble of toxic narratives from "fans" to state otherwise.

B-b-b-but Kennedy is the head of Lucasfilm. Therefore everything you just stated is her fault.

I'm honestly curious if they just bow to pressure to goose ticket sales on TROS by releasing the J.J. cut as rumored at this point: I didn't believe the rumors last week about this. Sky's the limit!

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm willing to bet this is "delayed" from starting production in summer 2020 to fall or winter 2020.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
However, the issue is still the following, 2/3rds of the ST are coherent. The intro, and middle. Are incredibly coherent. There was NO issue with TFA---->TLJ and it's revisionist history/living in a bubble of toxic narratives from "fans" to state otherwise.
I sort of agree with you here, or at least I would have as of TLJ's release. Disregarding authorial intent, those two films work wonderfully with each other. But in a post-ROS world it's pretty clear that JJ and Rian had wildly different ideas about what TFA was meant to set up. Honestly, I like both of their ideas, they just don't mesh with each other. The trilogy needed a singular voice guiding it from beginning to end, in some form or another. The fact that it didn't is a failure of the person in charge of the brand.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Laugh it up. KK's management of SW has been thoroughly mediocre.

Critical reaction has largely been good to great overall and everything except Solo was a success.

Force Awakens was okay but merely a soft reboot. The spin offs were unnecessary, forgettable cash grabs.

We're not talking about your personal opinions on the films. That has literally nothing to do with the topic at hand.

TLJ was competent but had a truck load of creative decisions which were reviled by fans.

False all around. It has a few creative decisions which were reviled by a minority of fans.

Saying they will be forced to fire her is ignorant and simply not based in any reality.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
They're gonna find a way to get Palpatine in, so that means him and Obi are brothers

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I sort of agree with you here, or at least I would have as of TLJ's release. Disregarding authorial intent, those two films work wonderfully with each other. But in a post-ROS world it's pretty clear that JJ and Rian had wildly different ideas about what TFA was meant to set up. Honestly, I like both of their ideas, they just don't mesh with each other. The trilogy needed a singular voice guiding it from beginning to end, in some form or another. The fact that it didn't is a failure of the person in charge of the brand.
I mean yea, they're two different people from two completely different walks of hollywood so they inherently had different ideas about the sequel. HOWEVER, JJ's thoughts about where to go after TFA is exactly the issue, nothing about that should've ever been relevant. It should've been aboiut where to go after TLJ and ONLY TLJ. And honestly, it's quite telling that JJ and Chris didn't work as closely with the LF story group as RIan reportedly did. And ofc there are other factors outside of their control that affected the film too, namely, Carrie Fisher's death and the shorter production cycle as a result of the release date.

Did you like the part where Leia floated through space like the Silver Surfer? Apparently being force sensitive means you can survive the vacuum of space.
Again, this has no bearing on whether or not the majority of people liked the film. And yes, being force sensitive does indeed mean that you can survive the vacuum of space, Leia wasn't the first time. Here's a blind jedi doing it.

SW is not a documentary.