• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But she was happy with TROS script, what was this one actually good?

Have you seen the amount of hate JJ and Rian have gotten? Plus, she's the face of Lucasfilm

That's a major problem with Disney/Lucasfilm as well as rushing films, the first one especially that set off the whole shit show.

How could anyone read that ROS script or even the broad strokes and not think, you know maybe i shouldn't allow this to go forward as it is. That's just plain bad. I'm sure it is on Disney wanting shareholder value targets or whatever so they both get the blame but how can you not see this shit coming to even a basic level.

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
Why would any director want to work with someone that is immediately prepared to stab them in the back and fire them and is also completely unable to get the studio to allot them extra time or money?

This. We're approaching the point where you'd have to be a fool to agree to take on a Star Wars project.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Talent can diminish over time though. People get old. She's clearly past it now. If a person who produced those great films you mentioned, can also produce a turd like ROS, they should probably retire.

I agree that the hate is ridiculous though. Same with people hating on the actors. It's completely unnecessary.
Wtf why would she retire when she made them so much money from Star Wars?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because there's another division under Iger and Horn that continues to do extremely well, so the weak link appears to be Kennedy, whether it's true or not.
Let's not pretend Marvel and Feige didn't have a bumpy road up until the end of Phase 2.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I support doing what it takes to deliver a better product.

Why the fuck are some of you that are so down on RoS being a symptom of the leadership, suddenly mad that same leadership are taking more time instead of rushing into production with weak scripts?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soo were the same people who rumored this last week also citing sources about Disney doing an extended cut of TROS?

Oct 25, 2017
Kathleen Kennedy has the final say on The Mandalorian too, I love how "Kathleen Kennedy bad EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES TO SW STUFF I LIKE WHICH I'M SURE SHE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH"" is always the narrative.
Mandalorian has Filoni at the absolute least and had freaking Favreau who is way under valued, MCU wouldn't remotely be what it is without the Iron Man movie he directed.

She is applauded as a great producer and is literally in charge of all of Lucasfilm and yet the behind the scenes of just 1 out of her 5 Star Wars movies wasn't a disaster(thats not even counting stuff like RJ's trilogy or GoT guy's situation).

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not pretend Marvel and Feige didn't have a bumpy road up until the end of Phase 2.

People keep saying this. Marvel has never released a single commercially underperforming film, much less a massive flop like Solo; their films have mostly done well critically; and they have achieved huge levels of pop cultural penetration and fan appreciation that Star Wars hasn't had in twenty years. And yes, it's always been this way, even in the early days of Phases 1-2. And not a single MCU film has had the behind-the-scenes chaos that marks nearly every Lucasfilm production. The worst Marvel has had is a few director swaps months before filming.

Acting like the MCU was on the verge of collapse in 2011 is absurd.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

f7dc2a2ea09af4177890654575aecf3e.png

Lol not really, Iger, for better or worse, is usually pretty hands off. He installs people he trusts in charge of studios/departments and let's them do what they do. It worked for Marvel, it worked for Pixar, it's not working for Star Wars.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Too similar to Mandalorian" makes me think they still didn't get the ST's lesson that they need to plan things a bit, instead of letting each director do whatever the fuck they want.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yes, yes it is like that. Like, read any "Bad SW news" thread on Era, compare the amount of times he's brought up compared to her. Like, genuinely do that.
We had people in this thread bringing up Iger despite him not being brought up at all in the article. Besides that, she's the head of Lucasfilm. She's ultimately responsible. Look at her counterpart inside the same company. Who do people feel is ultimately responsible for the MCU? Definitely not Iger.

But Horn and Iger are above her who end up getting the final say in a lot (See Horn's involvement in Gunn's initial firing from Guardians).

Let's not pretend that those names rarely, if at all, get brought up in these threads when it comes to Star Wars.

And again, her name rarely gets brought up for the good.

There's been minimal articles from the media talking about Kennedy's working relationship with Iger in the sense of whether Iger is the one placing demands on Kennedy or if Kennedy has free reign. Almost all of the previous issues with directors has stemmed from issues Kennedy herself has had with the directors/scripts/whatever.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How the fuck did they not catch this? It being too similar to the Mandalorian really took them by surprise?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The series needs to have Obi-Wan noticed on Tatooine, and going offworld to draw attention away from Luke and faking his death, not taking care of Luke on Tatooine. With a lot of Clone Wars flashbacks with Hayden. A battle with sand people on Tatooine though finding out what Anakin did would be great.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol not really, Iger, for better or worse, is usually pretty hands off. He installs people he trusts in charge of studios/departments and let's them do what they do. It worked for Marvel, it worked for Pixar, it's not working for Star Wars.

There is a time schedule to hit, that's a big part of the problem. I doubt you get much leeway there.

For all we know Kennedy cares greatly about Star Wars and perhaps was overly cautious and overthinks it leading them with no time to change things and you end up with a mess.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think that's rather unfair. The first Iron Man was fantastic, the second one not so much, the first Captain America was great and, despite being the worst movie of the first "phase", even Thor managed to make enough of an impression that Loki was brought back to be the main antagonist of the first big crossover movie - which, I may add, was a monumental success.

Saying they had a bumpy road up until Age of Ultron came out is a bit disingenuous because Phase One was a huge achievement already. They just hadn't totally decided on a direction until they filmed the first Avengers movie and decided the Infinity Gems and Thanos would be the endgame.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Kathy Kennedy is probably shell shocked with Last Jedi, Solo and TROS all having the issues that they have had. Really think it's time Disney replaces her with someone fresh who has a better chance at a better working relationship with Iger.

How does a woman who worked on raiders, Jurassic park, ET and essentially every classic adventure film of the late 80s through 90s suck so goddamn hard at running star wars. Fucking obsidian entertainment were working out of their garage when they made kotor 2 and they hit that shit out of the part.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Imagine KK being "unhappy" with the scripts after approving TROS. GTFO.

What are you fools doing?
That's what I find insane. How bad must the Obi Wan scripts have been to cause the person who approved RoS to stop production due to their quality? Were they going to make the Star Wars version of The Room or something? My goodness

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If it's 4 episodes, might as well just make a movie out of it.

I wouldn't mind a 4 hour episodic mini series that let's them explore things and take it at a slow pace. (depending on length of episodes). Wouldn't want this to be condensed into a 2.5 movie... so I guess this just depends on how long it ends up being.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Kathleen Kennedy hate continues to be obnoxious and baffling. Has everything worked smoothly? Of course not. Has she overseen some garbage? Yes (tRoS).

She has also produced an excellent film, TLJ. And most of you that hate that film also like the Mandalorian, which you conveniently give her zero credit for.

We literally have people in here posting that her not liking a script means it must be great. Kennedy, a producer on films such as ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Munich, Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, etc. apparently knows nothing of storytelling.

She has made mistakes but the amount of hate she receives is ridiculous.
Lets see, in just a few short years she and her team has:
  • Rushed into making a long awaited trilogy with zero planning, no road map, no vision, nothing. Literally nothing.
  • Hired directors/ writers with vastly different ideas that clashed so badly with each other that it resulted in them having to do terrible and embarrassing fan service ( if you even want to call it that).
  • Approved movies that absolutely no one wanted for no reason other than spamming SW every year for easy $$$.
  • Hired two hack writers ( DB Weiss & David Benioff) that ruined the biggest TV series of our time, are notorious for racism and being misogynist, to do future main films.
  • Caved in and catered to the assholes that hated Kelly Marie Tran's character and basically removed any meaningful role she could've had in TROS.
  • Fired Lord and Miller for creative differences and had to basically reshoot all of Solo ( a movie that no one asked for).
  • Put the one thing that people that have been asking for, for years ( Kenobi) on "hold" because she didnt like the scripts despite saying scripts were done ages ago. Lets face it, it's probably canceled.
  • Pissed off multiple actors from the movies with terrible decision making about their characters, especially Mark Hamill.
  • The one solid thing she did approve ( The Mandalorian) isnt even that great. In fact, it's pretty damn overrated. It was played so safely that it can only go up from here, which is why people have hope for it. And the fact that it has solid people running it.
These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head that at the end of the day, she had to make the decisions on. These arent mistakes. These are greedy, terrible decisions and she knew full well what she was doing. It didnt work. That fact that she still has her position is pretty mind blowing.

Kathleen Kennedy has the final say on The Mandalorian too, I love how "Kathleen Kennedy bad EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES TO SW STUFF I LIKE WHICH I'M SURE SHE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH"" is always the narrative.

See above ^^^

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The really troubling part was the idea that Obi was going to actually spend his time overseeing Luke and possibly even Leia lol.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
THR is not reporting baseless gossip though.
Okay? Their article literally just came out and offers a much better explanation then "Oh they don't like the scripts."

I also rely more on trades like THR than Collider and probably wouldn't have made those had they been the ones to initially break the story.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The really troubling part was the idea that Obi was going to actually spend his time overseeing Luke and possibly even Leia lol.

I s'pose it would be a little weird for Obi-Wan to stay in a little house a few miles from the Lars homestead for twenty years. He must have gone to other places, done other things. A planet is still a pretty big place after all.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Not buying the scripts thing. My best guess is the base Xbox One version wasn't up to snuff.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We had people in this thread bringing up Iger despite him not being brought up at all in the article. B
And again, compare the amount of those instances compared to the amount of times "IT'S ALL KATHLEEN'S FAULT" Iger gets nowhere near the amount of shit that Kathleen gets for ANYTHING SW related. And the reasons are pretty damn obvious. And no, it's not because "Well she's the head of Lucasfilm." Because no one bring up Kathleen Kennedy whenever they praise things like The Mandalorian, no one brought up Kathleen when they praised TFA and TLJ. Kathleen is only a part of the conversation whenever people need to blame everything on a single person while they write out a shitpost about how SW sucks and nothing is good, (something verifiably not true btw).