• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Stephen King was a guest on ABC's The View on Wednesday morning where he promoted his new book, The Institute, and his new movie, It: Chapter Two. He also announced four new cast members for CBS All Access' adaptation of The Stand, including Jovan Adepo (The Leftovers) as Larry Underwood, Owen Teague(Bloodline) as Harold Lauder, Brad William Henke (Orange Is the New Black) as Tom Cullen, and Daniel Sunjata (Rescue Me) as Cobb.

But there was one name who King didn't announce — and it's a big one. Collider has exclusively learned that, on the heels of winning an Emmy, a Golden Globe and a SAG Award for his menacing turn on HBO's Big Little Lies, Alexander Skarsgard is preparing to play the personification of evil, The Man in Black himself… Mr. Randall Flagg.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
This is so odd. First Pennywise, then the bad guy from Castle Rock, and now Flagg? It's almost like...like they're setting him up to be Walter.

EDIT: My mistake. Different Skarsgard.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
You know what? If King was a regular member of the cast of the View, I would watch the View.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool that they're making this. I literally just got the book from the library a few days ago.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Orginal was a trip to watch back in the 90's on ABC. Even scary at parts. Sad as well. Was a roller coaster. But I was a kid back then, so something different like that could understandably blew my mind.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Will he be ensconced in denim?
Mr._Randall_Flagg.jpg

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Thought this was DC related but then I realised that was Rick Flag played by another swede, Joel Kinnaman.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
James Marsden and Alexander Skarsgard. Hell yeah. I hope this is a good adaptation.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is an awful actor and was the only flaw in the otherwise perfection that was Little Drummer Girl.

He's okay at doing comedy where he's kind of making fun of himself, as in Long Shot and True Blood.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I know that Randall Flagg being "the man in black" doesn't mean he is black, but I did feel like it was at best ambiguous in the book, or if he was white he was darker skinned. I could be forgetting something that contradicts this though. Apparently he was originally based on Patty Hearst's kidnapper, who was black (something I just learned myself a second ago). Just an interesting thing to think about with the news of this casting, since I remember thinking about it a lot when I was reading the book, especially with the duality with Mother Abigail. Anyways, I'm excited to see what comes of this adaptation since I love The Stand and have already seen it adapted well in the comic (I never saw the old miniseries).

Also, this is somewhat unrelated, but I think his turn in Big Little Lies was really overrated, and I was kind of surprised at people falling all over themselves for what I took as a pretty typical performance of a horrible abusive husband.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
We need Gustaf Skarsgård to get his due soon. (F)Low-key the best actor of the brothers.

giphy.gif

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for him to lower his face, look up and then whisper menacingly like in True Blood, Big Little Lies and Tarzan.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know that Randall Flagg being "the man in black" doesn't mean he is black, but I did feel like it was at best ambiguous in the book, or if he was white he was darker skinned. I could be forgetting something that contradicts this though. Apparently he was originally based on Patty Hearst's kidnapper, who was black (something I just learned myself a second ago). Just an interesting thing to think about with the news of this casting, since I remember thinking about it a lot when I was reading the book, especially with the duality with Mother Abigail. Anyways, I'm excited to see what comes of this adaptation since I love The Stand and have already seen it adapted well in the comic (I never saw the old miniseries).

Also, this is somewhat unrelated, but I think his turn in Big Little Lies was really overrated, and I was kind of surprised at people falling all over themselves for what I took as a pretty typical performance of a horrible abusive husband.
Technically flag can be any color, through the stand he was more a whiteish though probably like me where even in deep winter I look like I have a tan. However in the epilogue he is explicitly brown.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now they need to cast him in Amazon's Dark Tower adaptation.