• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The teacher told us that for a three hr class like this one you should allocate 9 hrs to study each week.
I have only ever spent that much time on an English class. That is crazy.
That's correct. 3 hours at home time for every hour of class sounds right. So if you have 30 hours per week of classes (typical of any full time college student), you should be studying another 90 hours at home that week.

So, 120 hours per week total. Sounds reasonable. /s

Pro tip - go to ratemyprofessor.com and only take classes that get you easy A's. The point of college is to get a vocational degree where you learn a few basic principles/skills and show you know how to get through a system. Don't work hard, work smart. Always.

If you voluntarily put yourself through torture for all but the most hard-stem degrees like engineering or pre-med, then you're doing it wrong.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I have ADHD so when I read something I have to read it like five times to get it.
So for this class I have a quiz corresponding to every reading so I have to reread at least thirty pages frequently.
Do you take notes while reading? Are you allowed to see the quiz before hand? Is it timed? There should be strategies to help you understand and retain the information without spending so much time. Your Office of Disability Services may have specialized tutors, academic mentors, or workshops. If there's no way around the time commitment, you might want to talk to them and the professor about some sort of accommodation.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked out this professor on rate my professor. She has nothing but bad reviews. Should I bail?
Definitely bail if you can. Part of navigating college courses is knowing which professors are good. I always look at professor ratings before signing up for a course.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I just checked out this professor on rate my professor. She has nothing but bad reviews. Should I bail?

One of my favorite professors has a HORRIBLE score on RateMyProfessor.

I was shook going into the class, but I came to learn that she was strict because she was incredibly passionate about what she was teaching and wanted everyone to pass.

It was also one of the rare classes where we covered EVERY section of EVERY chapter in our textbook, so falling behind or missing a class or two could wreck you pretty hard.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's correct. 3 hours at home time for every hour of class sounds right. So if you have 30 hours per week of classes (typical of any full time college student), you should be studying another 90 hours at home that week.

So, 120 hours per week total. Sounds reasonable. /s

Pro tip - go to ratemyprofessor.com and only take classes that get you easy A's. The point of college is to get a vocational degree where you learn a few basic principles/skills and show you know how to get through a system. Don't work hard, work smart. Always.

If you voluntarily put yourself through torture for all but the most hard-stem degrees like engineering or pre-med, then you're doing it wrong.

Nobody takes 30 credit hours a term. That's just stupid. You take that in a year.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Do you take notes while reading? Are you allowed to see the quiz before hand? Is it timed? There should be strategies to help you understand and retain the information without spending so much time. Your Office of Disability Services may have specialized tutors, academic mentors, or workshops. If there's no way around the time commitment, you might want to talk to them and the professor about some sort of accommodation.

Yeah this school sucks for accommodations. Cuny New York. I have a girl in this class who was showing severe mental impairments and they have no one to assist her.

similar boat. majored in chemical engineering. OPs work load sounded like a walk in the park.

I took one science class and I made a promise to myself to never take another one again.

I don't find what I'm doing hard, it just requires time I don't have. I can't speed up this reading when any of the forty or so pages may be vital for a quiz which she will give every week based on the reading.
Definitely bail if you can. Part of navigating college courses is knowing which professors are good. I always look at professor ratings before signing up for a course.

Yeah I dropped a course last semester and it felt bad only taking two classes but all the reviews of this professor claim she demands a lot of work for a simple history class.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man if you think college is taking all your time just wait until you hit the real world.
I find a career a whole lot more easy than college.

The nice thing for me is a separation between work and non-work. With work, once I'm out I'm done and I'm not giving it any more energy. With school, it's all consuming. Even if you're hanging out it's still in the back of your mind, eating your brain.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I did a 5 year chemical engineering degree
Then worked for 4 years in industry
Now I quit and am a PhD student.

Of the 3 experiences, college took the most time and was the hardest. I don't miss undergrad at all.

grad is the most fun. Getting paid to learn is an awesome flip from undergrad, and it's more fun than working to push profits at a corporation or whatever.

enjoy each life phase for what it brings you

similar boat. majored in chemical engineering. OPs work load sounded like a walk in the park.

yup. Awful memories. Lol

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Oh and I guess for full disclosure I should say I have worked 60 hr mandatory salary jobs and this job I'm at now was previously full time. I have total awareness of the real world and working. I find school and work to be harder than anything I've ever had to do.

Every single paper I've completed so far was done in a day or two as I simply have no time before I go back to school.

I work as a cook so I can't do any school work except after work at 3am.
Each day of work as a cook demands total devotion. I get yelled at if, during a five minute down time, I don't clean something that's already clean.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I just feel like any rating system is bound by people being upset more than happy.
True for something like this, but there's still helpful information. The written reviews and comments can reveal a lot.

Yeah this school sucks for accommodations. Cuny New York. I have a girl in this class who was showing severe mental impairments and they have no one to assist her.
Sorry to hear. I also went to a CUNY and yeah, they are strapped for resources...

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
True for something like this, but there's still helpful information. The written reviews and comments can reveal a lot.

Sorry to hear. I also went to a CUNY and yeah, they are strapped for resources...

I don't know if they are strapped, they just seem to not care. The accessibility office is this tiny little room.
At my other colleges I was given unlimited time for assignments, meaning I could hand them in after the semester was over.
That is such an easy thing to set up.
Here you have to argue with the teachers individually for extra time.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I had a great time for most of my life in college. Almost every class were in the late afternoon/evening period, so that meant I could be the late sleeper that I am and still function very well. It wasn't smooth sailing but I never personally felt too overwhelmed, apart from the time when I also had an internship, then it felt like I didn't have much time at all.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time for most of my life in college. Almost every class were in the late afternoon/evening period, so that meant I could be the late sleeper that I am and still function very well. It wasn't smooth sailing but I never personally felt too overwhelmed, apart from the time when I also had an internship, then it felt like I didn't have much time at all.
OP has a full time+ job.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All professors will have middling to bad reviews on there. No one cares enough to leave a good review.
No way, I utilized RateMyProfessors all throughout undergrad. Never had a bad professor. Grad school is different since nobody bothers and you don't really have a choice in which classes to take, but for undergrad I found RMP to be spot-on.

I don't know if they are strapped, they just seem to not care. The accessibility office is this tiny little room.
At my other colleges I was given unlimited time for assignments, meaning I could hand them in after the semester was over.
That is such an easy thing to set up.
Here you have to argue with the teachers individually for extra time.
I've never heard of something like that at accredited schools that confer bachelors degrees. The absolute most you'll get is double time on quizzes and tests.

The school is required by law to assist you, though. Sounds like you're not talking to the right people.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP I feel for you. I couldn't have done my degree with a full-time+ job.

Man if you think college is taking all your time just wait until you hit the real world.

Unless you're working in a notorious field in salary work and do 70-80+ weeks. If disagree. My time in college, doing art originally (Animation as well as set theory and design classes) then later computer science. Both yielded far more hours in the learning and school stages. Especially CS. I was doing 12-13 hour days regularly. Most my friends in the STEM type field definitely worked more hours in college (outside my doctor buddies depending on rotation or fellowships).

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Yeah, it sucks. I'm planning on going to med school so I still have to worry about GPA which is the absolute worst. The grading took a while to get used to because the curves are nonexistent if you strive for As since it is mostly there to help those teetering on failure the most and also because everything depends on like 2-3 tests. Failing one means you see screwed.

This quarter has been annoying with 3 STEM classes along with 2 GEs. Maintaining straight As sucks so bad. You got no AP classes to boost GPA or crazy curves like in high school.

Maxpower45

Jul 6, 2019
I feel you im in my second year 2nd semester and im a computer science major i had so many breakdowns thinking is this what i want to do, and continue, but I know now that i do have to push through professors throw so much bullshit at you it sucks. Good to hear that you are hanging in their I hope you get through this.

Mar 3, 2019
It would be helpful to know what degree/field you are styudying OP. I know my program basically prided itself on every class being a burnout class to prepare students for the realities of the animation industry.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
That's real college for ya. Tho you do seem to have some free time based on this thread lol

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Man, it's strange seeing a lot of undergrads being tough; my undergrad was pretty easy if you put in the time to study and do the assignments (and I mean studying to the point where the material makes sense and easily remembered; it may take a long time or not long at all, just depends).

Now law school though... law school can get eternally fucked

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Do you work too or are you just going to school full time? If you're majoring in gender/women's studies, be prepared to have to do this all over again while working when you inevitably need to go back to school for a more marketable degree as BAs in the humanities don't get you very far in the workforce unfortunately.

Not sure if that'll be a problem for OP, given his degree choice.

I saw these comments and wanted to mention that I have the ultimate liberal arts degree -- a DNF -- and I was able to work my way up to high-paying tech jobs, so you should not assume your degree choice will be a huge hindrance. To be clear, I'm not saying that your gumption matters more than your degree. I'm saying that dumb luck and personal connections matter more than either, because capitalism is a flawed system. So keep it up!

Working as a cook is one of the tougher and more demanding jobs and I'm impressed with your ability to do that as well as perform well and with dedication to the material in school. But yes, you've chosen some challenging courses. Good luck! I like your Jungian anima thesis.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP. Last semester was brutal for me between balancing school and work + a break up. I got through it well, I'm sure you will. Hang in there.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just makes me miss college tbh.

Rice was hard, but I saw my friends every day and wasn't stuck in the same cubicle for 45+ hours a week. Working sucks.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Computer engineer here. My weakest ability is reading comprehension and language. Engineering classes are brutal, but if I put effort into it I would ace it.

I softened the load by:
1. English classes at a community college in the summer
2. Took a couple classes at my university in another summer
3. Kept hours below 15 per semester

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Computer engineer here. My weakest ability is reading comprehension and language. Engineering classes are brutal, but if I put effort into it I would ace it.

I softened the load by:
1. English classes at a community college in the summer
2. Took a couple classes at my university in another summer
3. Kept hours below 15 per semester

Yeah I'm only taking six hrs. this semester but one class is entirely online.

I have done well in comprehension classes like where we had to read Judith Butler.

I'm so relieved to find that my art class seems wonderful; the professor is amazing.
There is only one other professor who I may drop depending on how the quiz goes next week.

I also forgot to mention she will subtract 5% from your final grade if your phone rings.

She tried to scare all the kids also.
I don't like that.
I think it's really a bad idea to keep track of whether students read by giving quizzes.
I think the same could be done through homework.

Also, the main component of the class is this online part. I've had online components exist as part of the class but not the entirety. I think that just demonstrates laziness on the part of the professor.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
There are cruel professors that intentionally make those "supposed to be easy" classes hard as fuck. Art history is notorious for this. You have my condolences.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
I have somehow survived university as a single mum of a newborn and now toddler. I have done max credits and last semester I went over the allowed credits as I technically study at two universities so I got away with it.
I would love a situation with less units haha.

But for me as a future teacher I will probably still have less time afterwards.. But at least I won't have uni assignments anymore and soon be living with my partner for support.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I'll trade. I got a screaming 2 year old and a 40 year old body. And a job where people yell at me all day.

Nah. I still love my kid more.

Perspective.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah I'm only taking six hrs. this semester but one class is entirely online.

I have done well in comprehension classes like where we had to read Judith Butler.

I'm so relieved to find that my art class seems wonderful; the professor is amazing.
There is only one other professor who I may drop depending on how the quiz goes next week.

I also forgot to mention she will subtract 5% from your final grade if your phone rings.

She tried to scare all the kids also.
I don't like that.
I think it's really a bad idea to keep track of whether students read by giving quizzes.
I think the same could be done through homework.

Also, the main component of the class is this online part. I've had online components exist as part of the class but not the entirety. I think that just demonstrates laziness on the part of the professor.

She gives quizzes and doesn't want your phone going off in class?

The horror!!!

Tan

Oct 27, 2017
University is the hardest I've worked on my life. I basically had no life outside my studies. Fit in some time to play games for 30 min here and therein a week to not absolutely lose my mind.
But it forced me to refocus how I planned my weeks a lot, and how to approach classes without self destructing.

I've been working for 4 years in video games and feel comfortable with all the stress it can sometimes bring because I still have not worked harder than my University days.

So... Good work so far! You'll appreciate it later if you aren't already. My suggestion would be to pick classes you thinking you'll like instead of ones you think will be easy. Doing something you enjoy is always easier than doing things that seem simple.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this makes me very happy to know that I never have to do any of that again. Good luck. I used to have to try to fit all of my studies into a schedule that also included working about 25-30 hours a week. I had no time for anything.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I saw these comments and wanted to mention that I have the ultimate liberal arts degree -- a DNF -- and I was able to work my way up to high-paying tech jobs, so you should not assume your degree choice will be a huge hindrance. To be clear, I'm not saying that your gumption matters more than your degree. I'm saying that dumb luck and personal connections matter more than either, because capitalism is a flawed system. So keep it up!
Yeah it was the same for me. In High School I pretty much coasted and had a ton of free time, then when I hit college I was so stressed out with everything even with a <15hr Course Load that I quit a semester in. Now I have a great job in a field I love (IT) and I've felt much better mentally than before I quit College.

Again, Everyone's different and something work out differently for others; but College isn't the end all be all people like to say it is.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
College was hell. Zero free time. Work life is great. Loads of free time. Though I don't have any kids and don't plan to, which would probably change things tremendously.