• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Intelligence doesn't equal common sense

book smarts (intelligence) is different than street smarts (common sense)

I have met countless people in my life who have the first, but not the second (although of course it's possible to have both)

That was my point. Calling her stupid and an idiot is pointless because this can happen to anyone smart or dumb if they don't have the life experience. Sometimes people just never able to learn that for themselves :(
Is it an accident if you willfully put yourself in a dangerous position and then double down on it by not giving 100 percent of your attention to the dangerous situation you've put yourself in?
In her mind she probably thought she was 100 percent, but anything could happen even a simple slip up. I just think it's counter productive to call these people stupid or idiot when this can happen to anyone. Just hope we can learn from this and prevent as many accidents as possible.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): sexist generalizations
That looks like exactly the type of person I imagine would die taking a selfie. Darwinism at its finest. Damn.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't know what her motivation was enough to speculate on it.
If you don't know then you might as well rely on the various stories covering it, including the OP in this very topic, which referenced social media. Regardless of that, it's not an outrageous speculation to assume social media involvement so I'm not sure why you'd be arguing against it.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes people just like looking cool for the camera. Sometimes they enjoy seeing themselves and all the places they visit. It's not always about clout chasing or going for likes. People keep commenting that she died doing something nobody cares about, but maybe she cared about it and it is mostly for her and not for social media.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if nobody cares do you really think people would be trying to do this stuff?

right?

If by care, you mean spend 5 seconds going "cool" before hitting like and moving onto the next picture/thing? That's how people consume the internet.

Nature is there to be treasured by yourself, and pictures are there as great memories of your travels. Nature has to be respected though, whether we're talking animals, or we're talking geography.

Going to dangerous places and then losing concentration by your own actions has always been a recipe for hurt or fatality. Selfies are an instant lack in concentration as you are busy holding something and/or looking at it rather than your surroundings.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That looks like exactly the type of person I imagine would die taking a selfie. Darwinism at its finest. Damn.
giphy.gif

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If you don't know then you might as well rely on the various stories covering it, including the OP in this very topic, which referenced social media. Regardless of that, it's not an outrageous speculation to assume social media involvement so I'm not sure why you'd be arguing against it.
Because it *is* speculation. People are attributing toxic "selfie culture" or whatever as a contributor to her death and then swinging it around like she somehow got what was coming to her for being so "stupid". Instead of saying "what a horrible accident, I feel bad for the family", people are railing on her for being an idiot. A woman who just wanted to take a picture and is now dead, leaving behind family and friends.
That comment is not surprising when that shit has been happening the entire thread. Allow people to come in and call a dead woman stupid or an idiot, that's the type of comment you get.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Because it *is* speculation. People are attributing toxic "selfie culture" or whatever as a contributor to her death and then swinging it around like she somehow got what was coming to her for being so "stupid". Instead of saying "what a horrible accident, I feel bad for the family", people are railing on her for being an idiot. A woman who just wanted to take a picture and is now dead, leaving behind family and friends.

That comment is not surprising when that shit has been happening the entire thread. Allow people to come in and call a dead woman stupid or an idiot, that's the type of comment you get.
At least they worked up the courage to say how they really feel.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
At sites like this I hope they clearly have signage that says people have died taking pictures from dangerous spots. Just anything that would make someone think twice. Saying "danger" isn't enough. Could have been totally avoided. The poor girl had her whole life ahead of her, I just can't be cold regarding this because younger people think they're invincible. It's just the way it is and some careless mistakes while having fun can be fatal.

I hope not, let's no spoil further natural spots with signage and fencing because of the lack of common sense and environmental awareness of somes.

Regardless, RIP to her.

Edit: adding this quote:
How hard is it to put up a fence?
How hard is it not to be reckless, in the name of a photo?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
What exactly about this person screams Darwin award to you, judging by the picture?

Darwin Award is dying taking a selfie.

After seeing her picture in the OP it just seemed like someone who would take a lot of selfies. If you showed me a line up of people and said "which of these died taking a selfie" I'd maybe pick her.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
What a pointless ignominious death.

It's really sad to see someone so young die for such a stupid reason.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Multiple news stories about this have said that's what it was for. I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Oct 27, 2017
That was my point. Calling her stupid and an idiot is pointless because this can happen to anyone smart or dumb if they don't have the life experience. Sometimes people just never able to learn that for themselves :(

In her mind she probably thought she was 100 percent, but anything could happen even a simple slip up. I just think it's counter productive to call these people stupid or idiot when this can happen to anyone. Just hope we can learn from this and prevent as many accidents as possible.
I'm not calling her an idiot or stupid. I'm saying the act of endangering one's own life over a selfie is beyond fucking stupid. Smart people do dumb things all the time. Unfortunately for some, it costs them their lives and now she serves as a cautionary tale to others.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Darwin Award is dying taking a selfie.

After seeing her picture in the OP it just seemed like someone who would take a lot of selfies. If you showed me a line up of people and said "which of these died taking a selfie" I'd maybe pick her.
Taking a selfie does not equate to Darwin award for dying taking a selfie.

So again

What about that picture, in your mind, screams Darwin award

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
A 2018 study of news reports showed that between October 2011 to November 2017, there were 259 selfie deaths in 137 incidents reported globally. What a waste of life, for what?

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need a thread for every horrible thing that happens in the world. As such this thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.