• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit the Westworld at the end

x8gDjC1.gif

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Same here. Lol

I don't even like calling myself a gamer anymore, sadly. These fan bases are so toxic.

I'll never understand why people let strangers who they will never meet dictate what they do and don't watch.

Who gives a shit if a portion of the Rick and Morty fanbase is insufferable? Watch what you want to watch.

Even if you're "ashamed" to be associated with the show because of its fanbase, you could just watch it on your own then keep quiet about the fact you watch it when you're out in public or with friends.

EDIT:

I'm not even sure its about the fans. Sports teams have some of the most toxic fans (obviously a minority) imaginable. A minority of fans even send death threats to players and their families. Yet no one is ashamed to be a sports fan or talk about sports all day long.

I think some of you are just outright ashamed of your own hobbies and interests.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
CollegeHumor has been kilin it lately.

Brennan is so versatile and funny it's kind of amazing

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, found the show to be so boring / uninteresting that I didn't even bother. Sketch is on point, every single IRL fan of R&M I know is obnoxious as fuck, though I know that's just anecdotal.

That Westworld part at the end, so true.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I don't think there's anything especially obnoxious about Rick and Morty fans.

I don't see any kind of behavior of this particular group of fans that differs from any other tv fandom; be it contemporary shows, or older, more isolated fan-interactions that happened on IRC or crusty forums of yesteryear.

What I do see is that "the questioning and re-evaluating of every particle of your being" (that used to be the domain of LGBTQ+ people, a fair amount of straight women, and a chunk of wierdos) is now slowly becoming a mainstream way of interacting with culture for straight people (also).

Because straight (and mostly white) men don't have a ton of practice with having to justify their interests with "a valid argument" at every turn, they're going to be pretty clumsy about it, as this sketch sorta illustrates: a tired idea of a nerd, with David Lynchian pimples on his face, talking to his own mind-ghosts, trying to "work-out" some nervous problem that might not even exist, or that hides some discussion that can't be had quite yet.

I think we're edging very close to a point of time when straight men might have to define themselves as a distinct culture.

A big part of developing a distinct culture necessitates second-guessing if your ideas and feelings are even valid in the first place, as well as endlessly debating - with yourself or a ghost dressed in lycra - whether or not your reality is real.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people let strangers who they will never meet dictate what they do and don't watch.

Who gives a shit if a portion of the Rick and Morty fanbase is insufferable? Watch what you want to watch.

Even if you're "ashamed" to be associated with the show because of its fanbase, you could just watch it on your own then keep quiet about the fact you watch it when you're out in public or with friends.

EDIT:

I'm not even sure its about the fans. Sports teams have some of the most toxic fans (obviously a minority) imaginable. A minority of fans even send death threats to players and their families. Yet no one is ashamed to be a sports fan or talk about sports all day long.

I think some of you are just outright ashamed of your own hobbies and interests.

If I'm not ashamed of my sexuality, I'm not going to be ashamed of my own hobbies or interests. It's exactly what I said, these fan bases can be extremely toxic on many levels. A lot of political, social stuff that I don't want to be associated with. It's not that hard to understand and you don't have to understand it, it's my choice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there are some horrible R&M fans but I honestly haven't encountered them online or in real life. How much of this is for real and how much is overblown? It feels like almost a meme at this point. I'm guessing the vast majority of fans are normal people who dont even engage with it beyond watching it week to week.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
You can just do what I do.

Watch it, enjoy it, then shut the fuck up about it and not be associated with anyone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sounds like a solid advice. Most Game of Thrones fans I have met are insufferable assholes who drop lines like Portal 2's "The Cake is a Lie" and thinking they sound awesome or something like that. I'm just gonna try and see if I can catch up before Season 8 goes and not tell anyone about it. :/

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Number of posts I've seen complaining about toxic R&M fans >>>> number of posts I've seen from toxic R&M fans.

Either I'm really good at the internet, or people are once again spending more effort railing against a problem than that problem's actual size merits. See also: war on Christmas, illegal immigration crisis, voter fraud, etc.

PunishedOkabe

From a certain point of view, this isn't a copy
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, found the show to be so boring / uninteresting that I didn't even bother. Sketch is on point, every single IRL fan of R&M I know is obnoxious as fuck, though I know that's just anecdotal.

That Westworld part at the end, so true.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
I've come to learn that most of the young adults/adults who became the toxic side of the R&M fanbase are the grown up teenagers/kids who saw Cartman as basically a role model(or at least a "really funny character who made some good points sometimes").

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The closest thing I have to this in my life is Dave Matthews Band. I still struggle to admit to most people that I enjoy their music, that it makes me happy because I've been lectured so many times about their douchebag fan base.

"Oh you wanna throw a frisbee and smoke some weed brah?"

I get that these stigmas exist for a reason and I've definitely seen these fans out there but the people in my life who are fellow fans are lovely human beings. I also have a second degree connection to Dave Matthews through my boss who grew up with him. My employees won a work contest to hang out with him and he's such a gentle and warm hearted dude.

Anyway I've been trying not to feel this way about Rick & Morty. I know it's silly to let a toxic fanbase or a stigma around a fanbase to ruin your enjoyment of something, but it's not easy for me to be unshaken by it.

...and now Fullmetal Alchemist. 😬

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
You can just do what I do.

Watch it, enjoy it, then shut the fuck up about it and not be associated with anyone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This. You can watch a show and not associate with the fanbase.

A lot of people love Star Wars, but not all of us are as insane as some of the worst people that obsess over it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Holy shit this was amazing, thank you
Glad to share it, one of my faves.

As someone who has been on Era/Gaf for around 10 years and has also read up on the alt-right and their tactics, this video is just too perfect. It perfectly captures the ridiculousness of the argument but also the persuasive nature of it to people who dont pay attention or want to see the best in people.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I really liked this one I just saw the other day:

I feel like I used to watch CH all the time but then stopped, lately been watching and enjoying their new stuff.

I saw this and squirmed a lot. This was me through high school and a lot of college, but fortunately I recognized it and changed my auto-contrarian reaction.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Ugh, please keep this awful copy-pasta away.

As far as toxic fans...remember that some of the female writers on the show were getting shit over social media from toxic R&M fans also.

I'm a big fan of the show, but man, I've never seen a more mediocre subreddit full of meme reposts and other garbage.

Oct 26, 2017
"I like it but don't want to be associated with those people."

Describes my relationship to this show, Japanese culture, and punk rock.
This describes my relationship with basically every pop culture thing online. Music, Food and Drink, Games, TV shows and Movies... Too many narcissists that desperately want you to know that they are the gatekeepers.

Bunch of fucking wankers.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Are we using this thread to now share CH stuff cause the latest one they released was pretty great:

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Oh man, was a huge fan of that show at first but fell off because of the fan-base.

That ending though, holy shit so true.