• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

The Father's Day one is iconic
(You should... probably not watch this at work, or in public)

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
We already knew that the plans were stolen. That's all we needed to know.
Then Rogue One introduced the idea that a flaw was INTENTIONALLY designed into the Death Star by someone who wanted it to be destroyed. This intentional flaw was one that only a wizard could exploit.

Erso lived during the end of the Republic, so he knew space wizards existed. He had hope that the Rebellion would have a space wizard pilot. I don't see anything ridiculous in the universe where people can get choked to death by some invisible power.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Actually I'm curious how big the Dorkly team was before today. It was one of the teams that clearly got over invested in due to Facebook lying about their numbers. For a few years they out a shit ton of animation that never seemed to do anything.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It really sucks that these talented folks are losing their jobs, but the bigger picture is that YouTube is in competition with Netflix and Disney+ and the dissolution of these YouTube content creators is proof of that.

Back in 2010, I'd watch YouTube religiously. Nowadays, there's just so much more consumable entertainment that even YouTube struggles to retain the most hours of my internet viewing.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, Drawfee is like my daily thing. And Dimension 20 is amazing. I hope they can all re-organize somewhere together.

OP
OP
Ultron

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Drawfee confirming they're gonna try and keep it going in some fashion. Certainly happy to see that.

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
Drawfee confirming they're gonna try and keep it going in some fashion. Certainly happy to see that.

source.gif

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely sad to see this all go down. Drawfee is really the only part I followed and it seems like they'll continue on in some form, but so many talented people losing their jobs in one fell swoop is a massive bummer.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Drawfee is so damn good, they'll have to survive on their own. I hope so, may be time to support on Patreon.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

The first episode of CollegeHumor does The Purge always cracks me up (the rest of the episodes kind of wear thin the concept, but everytime I think about him mispronouncing "purge" I giggle to myself)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Erso lived during the end of the Republic, so he knew space wizards existed. He had hope that the Rebellion would have a space wizard pilot. I don't see anything ridiculous in the universe where people can get choked to death by some invisible power.
that concept has been around since the 90's eu too
Yeah also exhaust ports also generally contain the most toxic and explosive gasses that need to be vented from the ship, and an explosion would ignite those while blocking their normal escape route resulting in a cascading failure making the core overload. Not the torpedoes directly hitting the core

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck. That sucks. Love Drawfee's stuff, and I'm constantly surprised at how much laughs they're still able to get out of their skits.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I will miss College Humor every single day now. God, some of those videos are Top 100 of the decade.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

I wasn't planning on unsubbing from Dropout but now I for sure won't. CollegeHumor is honestly some of the funniest stuff online these days.

I don't think this guy did anything wrong per say but it SOUNDS LIKE he's basically saying he fired everyone hoping to re-hire them under much different contracts. They went from a company that can afford a payroll to a brand and he's hoping the people stick around. He's probably taking a financial risk himself but read between the lines and it's "hoping to keep the band together but I can't pay paychecks."

Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems kinda like what will probably happen.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
YouTube and independent online video series are always circling the drain. There's just not enough money in it if you don't have a large dedicatee paying fanbase, if you work in an expensive area like SF, and that there is loads of entertainmemt right next to yours that is gobbling up mindshare. Just think, for every 3 minute CH video they put up, they are now competing with at minimym 1500 minutes of new videos alone on YouTube. CH was always going to go under. Surprised it lasted this long, but seeing as they were losing money for a while, it seems they really hoped the magic was gonna happen again.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this guy did anything wrong per say but it SOUNDS LIKE he's basically saying he fired everyone hoping to re-hire them under much different contracts. They went from a company that can afford a payroll to a brand and he's hoping the people stick around. He's probably taking a financial risk himself but read between the lines and it's "hoping to keep the band together but I can't pay paychecks."

Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems kinda like what will probably happen.

No... They lost all their funding and therefore can no longer afford anyone but like a few people (likely editors to finish the content they had already made before this) and hopes that they can boost Dropout (their sub service) in hopes of getting them back enough funding to get on their feet again.

Oct 26, 2018
Although I like their videos, yesterday I was browsing their youtube channel and saw that most of the videos had less than 200k views, which, coupled with the production costs, should not be a good situation, and wondered how they were still aflot.

Couldn't they have tried the Linus Tech Tips way, and have inserted little commercials at the beginning and end of which video?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Back in 2010, I'd watch YouTube religiously. Nowadays, there's just so much more consumable entertainment that even YouTube struggles to retain the most hours of my internet viewing.

I wouldn't mind watching more Youtube, but it seems like it the past couple years their algorithm for what they're showing you has gotten so much worse. There has some channels that I'm subscribed to that I just straight up never get notifications or updates for even though they update very regularly. The Art of Photography, for example. On top of that, if I watch one or two videos that are outside of the realm of what I usually watch, videos related to those are pushed to me for a good month or so.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Between shit like this and deadspin, why haven't more people done CO-OPs?

What are CO-OPs?

Damn, I remember reading about how Facebook nearly killed Collegehumor and Funny or Die by lying about their viewership numbers, getting them to prioritize Facebook over YouTube and their own websites when it wasn't nearly as profitable as they were led to believe. neither really fully recovered.

Could they sue for potential loss revenue?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
that concept has been around since the 90's eu too
Yeah also exhaust ports also generally contain the most toxic and explosive gasses that need to be vented from the ship, and an explosion would ignite those while blocking their normal escape route resulting in a cascading failure making the core overload. Not the torpedoes directly hitting the core

True. But the idea of hitting that 1-in-a-million shot shot is a lot more satisfying. =)

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I wouldn't mind watching more Youtube, but it seems like it the past couple years their algorithm for what they're showing you has gotten so much worse. There has some channels that I'm subscribed to that I just straight up never get notifications or updates for even though they update very regularly. The Art of Photography, for example. On top of that, if I watch one or two videos that are outside of the realm of what I usually watch, videos related to those are pushed to me for a good month or so.

I blame the introduction of the home page. Some of my subscriptions get mangled in the home page section which I find intentionally deceptive... 🤨🤔

Churrific

Oct 27, 2017
Some video content company that already has giant video subscriptions on youtube should pick these folks up. Like a Buzzfeed or something maybe? Someone who can create a comedy channel for them where they can put their content on, so these people don't have to start from scratch again; with a built-in audience and with a safety net like health insurance.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
I remember liking Hardly Working quite a bit back then. This one may be my favorite:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

:'( I love literally everyone in that list

Well it sounds like right now everyone is still working with them, or almost everything, it's just freelance/contractual basis and on a smaller scale as they try to ramp up. So, if it goes well, things could go mostly back to 'normal' but it's still a huge blow. FWIW in the Discord Sam said that the severance packages were extremely generous, so hopefully nobody is out too badly short turn.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Well it sounds like right now everyone is still working with them, or almost everything, it's just freelance/contractual basis and on a smaller scale as they try to ramp up. So, if it goes well, things could go mostly back to 'normal' but it's still a huge blow. FWIW in the Discord Sam said that the severance packages were extremely generous, so hopefully nobody is out too badly short turn.
All of them were tweeting goodbyes and asking if anyone is hiring

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of them were tweeting goodbyes and asking if anyone is hiring
Yes I understand that, they're all freelancing and need other work as well.

The general idea is this: Do what needs to be done to make the endeavor immediately profitable, which still includes paying these people for the work that is still being done, it's just not full time work. Rehire and regrow from there. Obviously those people need work in the meantime, and it may mean they find something permanent and can't come back. Shitty situation. I do think Sam is trying to do right for the cast and crew.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Drawfee.... and only discovered it two months ago.

The bubble when it bursts online is hard hitting.

May 25, 2019
London
College Humor was fantastic from like 2007-2011. It launched a lot of great careers, including Sarah Schneider's who is an incredible writer.

OP
OP
Ultron

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered and fell in love with Drawfee. :(

Don't despair! Of all the groups affected, Drawfee seems like the one that is gonna keep going for sure. Obviously being content that is primarily just a computer screen probably helps with this a lot. They said as much in a video over the weekend, and just posted on twitter something that sure looks like they're making new videos:

Though, I am sad we probably won't get more Drawfee Variety Hour ever again, because that was a beautiful cursed production that I loved.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't despair! Of all the groups affected, Drawfee seems like the one that is gonna keep going for sure. Obviously being content that is primarily just a computer screen probably helps with this a lot. They said as much in a video over the weekend, and just posted on twitter something that sure looks like they're making new videos:

Though, I am sad we probably won't get more Drawfee Variety Hour ever again, because that was a beautiful cursed production that I loved.

They posted a new post-layoff Beans, which I haven't gotten a chance to watch yet but presumably has some discussion about the future going forward?