• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

85h4xplcy1k51.jpg

Meanwhile, in Ann Arbor...

muqbr29fjyi51.jpg

Preseason AP Poll
  1. Clemson
  2. tOSU*
  3. Bama
  4. Gawja
  5. Oklahoma
  6. LSU
  7. Penn State*
  8. Florida
  9. Oregon*
  10. Domers
  11. Auburn
  12. Wisconsin*
  13. Aggie
  14. BACK
  15. OANN dipshits
  16. Michigan*
  17. Southern Cal*
  18. UNC
  19. Minnesota*
  20. Cincy
  21. UCF
  22. Utah*
  23. Iowa State
  24. Iowa*
  25. Rocky Top
* indicates that their games have been cancelled this fall at the time of this post. AP allowed the voters to include them anyway for the preseason poll. Week 1 poll will not include these teams.

Thursday, September 3

South Alabama @ Southern Miss, 9 PM

Saturday, September 5

Eastern Kentucky @ Marshall, 1 PM
MTSU @ Army, 1:30 PM
SMU @ Texas State, 4:30 PM
Arkansas State @ Memphis, 8 PM

Monday, September 7

BYU @ Navy, 8 PM

CFB.guide for TV listings.

FAQ

Wait, they're still playing college football this fall?

Yes. Out of the 10 FBS (top division) conferences, six will be playing games this fall as of this post, including 3 of the Power 5 conferences. The Big Ten has been waffling but at this point I don't see them playing games before November.

When do the power conference teams start playing?

Week 2, where Miami kicks off the power conference slate with a Thursday night game against UAB. The ACC and Big 12 have opted for a conference games + 1 model, where the one nonconference game must be played at home, preventing any matchups between power conference teams. SEC will only be playing conference opponents and so will not be starting play until week 4.

Notre Dame is an ACC member this year?

Yes, and we will never let them forget it.

unknown.png

Hang the banner.

Will there be fans in attendance?

Depends on the conference and even school. Way too many individual policies to list here.

Isn't there a real ethical problem with having unpaid, 18-22 year old "student-athletes" risk their long-term health during a pandemic playing a game for our amusement?

Yes, but speaking as someone who absolutely loves college football, if you like college football you began ignoring the ethical part of your brain as it relates to college football a long time ago.

Have that conversation in this thread by all means, but please be civil about it.

DISCORD (we have a close games bot now yay)
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
WEEKLY PICK'EM (thanks as always to Karl2177 )

forms.gle

Week 1

The one where COVID probably killed a student athlete but they covered it up because we want dat footbaw monies

Conference Pick'Em (waiting on Bucknuticus )

2020 CFB Conf Picks

Quarantine Edition

You have until 8:15 PM Thursday to do either or both. Winners receive a sense of pride and accomplishment.

PAC-12 AFTER DARK

See you in 2021 :(

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So, like, let's say the Big Ten does indeed start in November... would they then all be ineligible for the college football playoff? Would the playoff be cancelled? Postponed until all conferences play a full schedule?

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
So, like, let's say the Big Ten does indeed start in November... would they then all be ineligible for the college football playoff? Would the playoff be cancelled? Postponed until all conferences play a full schedule?

The Playoff Selection has been pushed back to December 20 as of now. If the Big Ten does decide to start in November, I could see the selection getting pushed further to where the B1G can get an eight game season in and the Playoff is pushed accordingly. Problem there is the ACC/SEC/B12 reps would then be rusty if the Playoff ends up getting played in late January.

I guess it depends how bad the CFP wants Ohio State.

Bucknuticus

UCF Super fan! Go Knights!
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah Justin Fields gonna win that heisman and we gonna win the natty!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would be excited to no end.

Now, I don't know what to think haha

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for this weekend! Going to be a very strange season, but if they can play games safely, go for it.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
I still think this is a terrible idea that's doomed to fail, but I'm here for college football as long as it's around.

Now, to find my Discord login...

opus

Oct 25, 2017
Also, did I read that ESPN is still planning on doing on-campus College GameDay?

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Also, did I read that ESPN is still planning on doing on-campus College GameDay?

As much as I would like a little ting tang in my zing zang, they haven't actually announced what they are doing with GameDay yet. For Corso's sake I hope they do it in studio and have him at home remote.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm here for this ongoing train wreck.

Not sure what I'm going to do without my Tuesday night in November MACtion this year.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many teams' rosters will be decimated by mid season? Looking at MLB, they had serious problems with far less players, far less contact, no fans, and rosters not filled with irresponsible college students.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm afraid it's going to end up a pretty fucked up situation.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I wonder how many teams' rosters will be decimated by mid season? Looking at MLB, they had serious problems with far less players, far less contact, no fans, and rosters not filled with irresponsible college students.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm afraid it's going to end up a pretty fucked up situation.

Entire position groups on teams have already gotten COVID en masse, to the point where normal practices couldn't be run.

I am not optimistic about the season being completed for anyone. Once we hit flu season in November it's just going to get worse.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As the self-proclaimed greatest Oregon Duck fan on this board, I am extremely sad about the loss of this season. We had CFP material this year. Our defense was going to be fucking nuts and our offense actually going to be potent af with Moorhead.

Sigh :(

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I love college football, but I hate that college football is being played.

I can't affect the second one, so might as well enjoy what's available.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This is really dumb. Thank god I live in Pac-12 country where they recognized how stupid it would be to play CFB given how quickly Covid spread around MLB.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Entire position groups on teams have already gotten COVID en masse, to the point where normal practices couldn't be run.

I am not optimistic about the season being completed for anyone. Once we hit flu season in November it's just going to get worse.

I'm most interested in seeing what each team's/conference's/state's threshold is for shutting it down and what happens when a star player tests positive without symptoms and the coaches let him play anyway.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm most interested in seeing what each team's/conference's/state's threshold is for shutting it down and what happens when a star player tests positive without symptoms and the coaches let him play anyway.

I'll be honest, the NCAA needs to make crystal clear to teams that a coach knowingly letting a player who tested positive onto the field is an instant show-cause and (at absolute minimum) 10 year ban. Fuck the NCAA but they have to be hardliners here.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
As the self-proclaimed greatest Oregon Duck fan on this board, I am extremely sad about the loss of this season. We had CFP material this year. Our defense was going to be fucking nuts and our offense actually going to be potent af with Moorhead.

Sigh :(

You had NDSU and Ohio State at home as well. Really bummed we won't be getting both of those games.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

I know Saban wants to stay out of politics, but if ever there were an election for him to be involved, particularly given who the Republican nominee is for Senate in Alabama.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I know Saban wants to stay out of politics, but if ever there were an election for him to be involved, particularly given who the Republican nominee is for Senate in Alabama.

Saban rules and kinda shits all over every other coach in college football as far as optics go. Especially Dabo.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
We were robbed of Justin Fields year 2 (still holding out some hope because I'm a dumb optimist) but at least we're still getting the Mike Leach offense in the SEC.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We were robbed of Justin Fields year 2 (still holding out some hope because I'm a dumb optimist) but at least we're still getting the Mike Leach offense in the SEC.
Rumors picking up that an early October start might still happen for the B1G. Last week it was the weekend of Thanksgiving and today it's been moved up. We'll see i suppose but there might be hope.

I too want season 2 with Fields.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Gundy is like Leach. When both are saying wacky things, they're fun interviews.

But every six months they put foot completely in mouth.
Yeah every once in a while these coaches have to remind you that they have personal politics and a lot of times these personal politics suck ass

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Rumors picking up that an early October start might still happen for the B1G. Last week it was the weekend of Thanksgiving and today it's been moved up. We'll see i suppose but there might be hope.

I too want season 2 with Fields.
I'm going to close my ears to all this until I literally see B1G football on my screen. I will not be hurt again after losing Fields vs Trey Lance plus Oregon losing to Trey Lance week 1.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
How is Auburn 8 spots above Minnesota? Gophers kicked the crap out of them in the bowl game.

EDIT: I forget that we lost a bunch of players.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Things were looking great this summer, there would be a bunch of positive cases on the first round of tests, then the players would follow their teams protocols and they'd go a month with no positives, then the universities started bringing in tens of thousands of students on campus and now we're seeing entire position groups get wiped out.

And people think football is the problem.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

I wonder what election-related reason he would have to do this. Sure is a stumper.

(Notice that he did not reach out to the P12)

Last edited:

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
https://mooncrew.substack.com/p/to-understand-cfb-is-to-feel-like

To understand CFB is to feel like you're losing your mind
All of this is connected.

So this is all about the NCAA wanting money as usual?
Not just the NCAA! The sport has spent much of 2020 on the brink of comprehensive postponement because no one is in charge. The conferences sometimes work in parallel while overlapping, while saying they aren't overlapping, even though we know they are overlapping.

The Pac-12 might say it made its postponement decision in a silo, but it followed the Big Ten's lead, albeit while actually showing its work.

The SEC, Big 12, and ACC are demonstrating that they want to play, but their status has a lot to do with what the Pac-12 and Big Ten did, whether they want to admit it or not. The Pac-12 and Big Ten canceling early gave the other three the ability to send one of two messages:

• If football stops: "Hey, we tried harder than those other conferences did, but it was impossible."
  • If football continues: "We stayed the course through uncertainty and didn't make a rash decision!" (This one's boosted by the fallout from the Big Ten's communication failures.)
And one of the remaining three Power 5s postponing would be the tipping point for the rest, because it's all connected. If the SEC cancels, the ACC is absolutely gonna cancel. The SEC, Big 12, and ACC remain in this meme:

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F64590c2b-3dec-4251-aa7a-8c477e5d1b1e_500x375.jpeg

It's All Connected.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saban rules and kinda shits all over every other coach in college football as far as optics go. Especially Dabo.

Coach Mario Cristobal has been part of BLM protests since May. He learned a lot from Saban in his time at Alabama and I think is a more youthful and perhaps evolution of his leadership style.

He's shown to be an incredible leader thus far and I'm incredibly thankful to have him as a coach.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers