• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
As a Michigan fan, I see this as a win.

It'll be the first time since 2011 we didn't lose to Ohio in a year. Cause for celebration IMO

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

The SEC being the only conference that wants to blindly charge ahead and play football is so on-brand that it physically hurts

Also, Trevor Lawrence is wrong. Regardless of his intentions, it's no better than the "I don't want to wear a mask" crowd. This shit ain't for your safety alone, it's for everyone involved.

The TV rights for anything like that would be a colossal disaster to work through. There will be lawsuits for months.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I could see Clemson, Florida State, Oklahoma, and Texas joining the SEC this year to create a superconference.

SECCG would effectively be the national title game. The AP would surely recognize the winner as the national champion.

ACC leadership would throw a shitfit given that Clemson and FSU almost left for the SEC last realignment cycle.

If the SEC is playing the ACC is going to try.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If only people would have just worn a damn mask.

Well, we kind of deserve it. It didn't have to be this way.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The TV rights for anything like that would be a colossal disaster to work through. There will be lawsuits for months.
Didn't even think of that aspect of it. And I'm pretty sure that the other conferences that shut down play would want compensation from schools attempting to play games with the SEC. It's hard to see how defections would work.

The SEC being the only conference that wants to blindly charge ahead and play football is so on-brand that it physically hurts

Also, Trevor Lawrence is wrong. Regardless of his intentions, it's no better than the "I don't want to wear a mask" crowd. This shit ain't for your safety alone, it's for everyone involved.

Of course the SEC wants to play... and it will end in total disaster for anyone involved!

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my friends is like, let them play the players want to be out there!

I answered with, yes letting teenagers decide what is in their best interest has always led to wise decisions.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Waiting for the Mountain West to cancel, will be weird when the local news has no Boise State Broncos to cover, they'll be so lost since Broncos coverage takes up like 80% of their time during the fall.

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
As a Bucks and huge CFB fan this just makes me all the more angry we have to be in this place (which for the record I was already angry). Thank you Trumpf, all the dumbass governers, anti-maskers, Qanon, and those not willing to take personal responsibility. Huge FU.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The really frustrating part about this situation is that none of the folks actually responsible for this happening are going to recognize the role that they played and will somehow figure out a way to blame "the libs" for this. Rejecting personal responsibility and blaming others for your problems has always been the foundation of American conservatism, it's just extra clear these days.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would anticipate certain teams playing or joining the SEC for a year. Not even kidding.

Michigan - you bet. Harbaugh is on record.
Clemson - Dabo going to Dabo.
Oregon - has had a perfect testing record and is in a place where the spread has been pretty tame.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to get too fanatical at a time like this, but...

Iowa gets so much shit. Ferentz has only had four 7-win seasons in his 20 years at Iowa, and his average of the last 5 years is nearly 9.5 wins. Overall average (including his first season @ 1-10) is nearly 8-5. The "corruption" he talking about is a complete misrepresentation (there is a racial "culture" issue which breaks my heart, but it does seem like Ferentz is taking some of the right steps to improve.) And Iowa's vote was likely influenced by the governor's and the Board of Regent's insane demand that UI/ISU/UNI have to go fully back on campus.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to get too fanatical at a time like this, but...

Iowa gets so much shit. Ferentz has only had four 7-win seasons in his 20 years at Iowa, and his average of the last 5 years is nearly 9.5 wins. Overall average (including his first season @ 1-10) is nearly 8-5. The "corruption" he talking about is a complete misrepresentation (there is a racial "culture" issue which breaks my heart, but it does seem like Ferentz is taking some of the right steps to improve.) And Iowa's vote was likely influenced by the governor's and the Board of Regent's insane demand that UI/ISU/UNI have to go fully back on campus.
Racial culture issue sure is one way to put it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
This is stupid. Think of all the Rudy situations we're missing out on when all the starters are out with Covid and the kids from the band need to step up.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks, Trump.

New Zealand has been playing rugby matches to full stadiums. Australia has been playing football to 50% or 75% full stadiums. Europe has been playing soccer leagues and cups since the start of June, to empty stadiums.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Thanks, Trump.

New Zealand has been playing rugby matches to full stadiums. Australia has been playing football to 50% or 75% full stadiums. Europe has been playing soccer leagues and cups since the start of June, to empty stadiums.
Much like mass shootings the folks who most need to draw a direct A->B line to "Why does this shit happen only here?" will refuse to do it.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Good.

Now I wonder how much tuition is going to go up to compensate :P

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Good.

Now I wonder how much tuition is going to go up to compensate :P

Not how it works.

Only money athletic departments get directly from students is through fees. They can't jack fees up without students being in the stands, as that's the trade-off for students paying the fees.

Oct 25, 2017
Racial culture issue sure is one way to put it.
Well, it's really more of a culture issue that a couple of assistants felt free to put a racial spin on. Ferentz has always pushed for a "highly disciplined," humble, "Iowa Way" culture (in complete contrast to Hayden Fry) and there's been plenty of players (Black and white) that haven't meshed with it - we lost a couple of great white RBs during the AIRBHG days due to it (unspokenly of course.)

Reading the detailed accounts, there are plenty of Black players that defended Kirk but backed up accounts that it was mostly Chris Doyle, Seth Wallace, and (almost certainly) Kirk's son that took it to a racist level. Doyle was also responsible for the rhabdo clusterfuck, so he should've been gone years ago.

ACC leadership would throw a shitfit given that Clemson and FSU almost left for the SEC last realignment cycle.

If the SEC is playing the ACC is going to try.
Ah, realignment talk, now that I can get behind!

I'd love to see Clemson and FSU go to the SEC. It'd give leverage for the B1G to go after Virginia and UNC. And if those four leave the ACC... then maybe Notre Dame's hand gets forced. And if B1G gets Virginia, UNC, and ND, then they're big enough to send a first-come/first-served invite to Texas, OU, and Kansas. (Obviously, this is wishful thinking, although I did call an affiliate invite to Johns Hopkins for lacrosse...)

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not how it works.

Only money athletic departments get directly from students is through fees. They can't jack fees up without students being in the stands, as that's the trade-off for students paying the fees.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing but I'm talking about the money a school as a whole brings in by there being an athletic program. Unless that is somehow always exclusively contained in the athletic department.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Except every Republican that I know doesn't blame Trump or never will. They will blame Fauci because of his comments early in the year like they have been.
People like Jim Jordan are already bitching and moaning on twitter that "we need college football." The way this messaging is gonna go is "we know you're disappointed there's no football this year - Republicans want to give you football but those damn liberals are taking it away from you!"

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing but I'm talking about the money a school as a whole brings in by there being an athletic program. Unless that is somehow always exclusively contained in the athletic department.

You actually got it. Athletic department finances are mostly separate from that of the university.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
DP sorry. Posting on mobile.

I'd love to see Clemson and FSU go to the SEC. It'd give leverage for the B1G to go after Virginia and UNC. And if those four leave the ACC... then maybe Notre Dame's hand gets forced. And if B1G gets Virginia, UNC, and ND, then they're big enough to send a first-come/first-served invite to Texas, OU, and Kansas. (Obviously, this is wishful thinking, although I did call an affiliate invite to Johns Hopkins for lacrosse...)

No school can leave the ACC until 2038. There's an ironclad GoR agreement.

Oct 25, 2017
There's enough variation between schools that it's hard to be definitive, but I think most keep the athletic revenue in it's own silo. There's still money that goes to the school indirectly, but it's stuff like non-athletic alumni donations, being able to spend less on marketing, and reduced student recruitment costs.

Oct 25, 2017
People like Jim Jordan are already bitching and moaning on twitter that "we need college football." The way this messaging is gonna go is "we know you're disappointed there's no football this year - Republicans want to give you football but those damn liberals are taking it away from you!"

He should really be sitting out any conversations when it comes to the safety of college athletes.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Well, it's really more of a culture issue that a couple of assistants felt free to put a racial spin on. Ferentz has always pushed for a "highly disciplined," humble, "Iowa Way" culture (in complete contrast to Hayden Fry) and there's been plenty of players (Black and white) that haven't meshed with it - we lost a couple of great white RBs during the AIRBHG days due to it (unspokenly of course.)

Reading the detailed accounts, there are plenty of Black players that defended Kirk but backed up accounts that it was mostly Chris Doyle, Seth Wallace, and (almost certainly) Kirk's son that took it to a racist level. Doyle was also responsible for the rhabdo clusterfuck, so he should've been gone years ago.

Ah, realignment talk, now that I can get behind!

I too love realignment talk; since we're in the realm of the bizarre already...

I think the SEC would covet expanding their tv markets to places they don't have a member school already, though Clemson and FSU fit football like a glove.

I think they'd rather take flagship schools, like UVA and UNC if they could get them, which lol There's no way UNC would give up that much power in the ACC to be second class in the SEC. but hey, it's fun to run it in NCAA14 :)

On the topic at hand, Satterfield can say what he wants but he isn't going to be the one to make that call. The dominos will likely start falling tomorrow, and though it may take a few weeks for the SEC to finally throw in the towel, college football is dead this season.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

Trump is officially pro-union!

Dipshit definitely didn't read the whole thread