• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Is LSU good or is the Texas Big 12 defense that bad?

LSU also gave up over 500 yards of offense....oof.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Cal's offense slaughtered the Husky D in the second half.
Most of the Husky's points were field goals.

O.o

Kicking is still 100% for the season!

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Texas LSU game is why I love college football. What a game. LSU is gonna be a beast with an offense like that.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The rankings today are exactly why games like last night are a dying breed.

Texas is now behind Florida and Michigan and I don't think anyone believes they are better teams that Texas.

If UT had played North Texas last night we'd be ranked 7th.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Is LSU good or is the Texas Big 12 defense that bad?

LSU also gave up over 500 yards of offense....oof.

It's how spread offenses work. The offenses run so many plays and spread the D so far out that as the game goes on and players tire you start getting open recovers 10-12 yards downfield.

The problem with these style of offenses is that your defense is on the field too much bc of quick-strike offenses (and pass heavy games extending the total # of plays).

These offenses tend to be bad at ball control and killing clock with a lead. So you just have to keep scoring and scoring to stay ahead. Last night is pretty typical. All Texas needed was one stop to tie the game and couldn't get it. Not that LSU could stop Texas in the 2nd half either.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
It's how spread offenses work. The offenses run so many plays and spread the D so far out that as the game goes on and players tire you start getting open recovers 10-12 yards downfield.

The problem with these style of offenses is that your defense is on the field too much bc of quick-strike offenses (and pass heavy games extending the total # of plays).

These offenses tend to be bad at ball control and killing clock with a lead. So you just have to keep scoring and scoring to stay ahead. Last night is pretty typical. All Texas needed was one stop to tie the game and couldn't get it. Not that LSU could stop Texas in the 2nd half either.
A great example of how to beat teams like this is the semi final from last season. Bama stopped OU three or four times and got out front cause OU couldn't stop a wet fart and OU was never able to fully catch back up even though they played really well the rest of the game.

So if/when LSU runs into a team that has a D and can control the ball some, it will be the real test, cause there are some offenses that can out gun them and several defenses built to handle that kind of offense. They will be talked up a bunch and not tested until October

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
A great example of how to beat teams like this is the semi final from last season. Bama stopped OU three or four times and got out front cause OU couldn't stop a wet fart and OU was never able to fully catch back up even though they played really well the rest of the game.

So if/when LSU runs into a team that has a D and can control the ball some, it will be the real test, cause there are some offenses that can out gun them and several defenses built to handle that kind of offense. They will be talked up a bunch and not tested until October

To be fair, OUs defense is fucking garbage. I think LSU has a solid D. They will get stops.

Sam was having to thread some needles into tight windows. Texas Online also bought him some time. A worse oline and LSU can get pressure which will change things up.

Not having a run game will be their undoing.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019

Texas is now behind Florida and Michigan and I don't think anyone believes they are better teams that Texas.

Not to mention they have Auburn ahead of all of them too. With the way their offense is looking they shouldn't even be in the top 25.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Reporting back from the trenches!

7:36 PM: Huskies enter the field from the tunnel, a few minutes from game start. No rain. Things were mostly normal, lots of purple smoke. I don't remember seeing Puppy Dubs run out with everyone, not sure what's going on there.

TknVFgM.jpg

Five minutes into the quarter, the players suddenly leave the field. The jumbotron indicated that people should leave the stands for the shelter of the concourse.

Flashes became visible in the sky to the north, then soon to the south as well. They started playing the Imagine Dragon's song "Thunder" on the speakers, because why not.

I didn't really want to fight through the crowds into the concourse, so I was near the tail end of the evacuation.

8:20 PM: Rain had rapidly picked up.

CeEVDNF.jpg

Shortly before I went through the tunnel into the concourse, huge forks of lightning struck to the north and the field lighting went out at the same time. I don't think that the two events were related, but it looked super cool.

The video displays and strips were still on, and set to display as Purple Reign banners.
Husky Stadium was a surreal scene, shiny with wetness and misty with rain, glowing purple, flashes of light exploding across the sky.

The concourse was initially packed. People trickled out steadily during the hours of the delay. Many of them didn't get anywhere very quickly; the parking lot overlooked by our concourse was a disastrous traffic jam.

9:33 PM: The Cal band was in the section next to ours, they sat in a blob on the concourse floor during the delay.

TIwvye3.jpg

The concession stand pictured above, the Flying Taco, remained open during the storm. Hungry, and with no end in sight, we grabbed some pulled pork nachos and plopped down on the floor next to the Cal band. This truly was Pac 12 After Dark.

qzO06Fy.jpg

10:18 PM: People were re-entering the stands, and the game would soon resume. The nachos had been poor hydration, so I went up to the concourse to refill on water. The Cal band had stood up and was playing music. Although the stadium had become quite empty, enough people remained to make it look like a busy-ish scene.

Then the game happened.

Husky play-calling reminded me of last year's Cal game, especially during the first half. The freshman-heavy defense clearly needs work on tackling. Outside of tackling, it felt like the biggest challenge for the defense was that Greg Gaines is no longer around to free up defenders by single-handedly keeping the entire offensive line occupied.

Oh well. Rainbow Warriors next week! Go Huskies!

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Ohio State didn't start every season with cakewalk games. They're so boring to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I wish Ohio State didn't start every season with cakewalk games. They're so boring to watch.

Well don't you worry then because the next few years we play the following OOC - Oregon (20,21) Notre Dame (22,23) Washington (24,25) Texas (25,26)

Also UC was expected to give a much better game than they did they went 11-2 last season. Outside of them though the OOC sucks for sure, however the middle of our schedule is brutal.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Well don't you worry then because the next few years we play the following OOC - Oregon (20,21) Notre Dame (22,23) Washington (24,25) Texas (25,26)

Also UC was expected to give a much better game than they did they went 11-2 last season. Outside of them though the OOC sucks for sure, however the middle of our schedule is brutal.

Yeah I was super disappointed in the blowout with Cinci.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Pray for me this year as a UNC fan. Mack is going to take years off of my life.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

the only way to get more games like this is if you move to conference champions playing in the playoffs

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

Big noncon series are actually coming back because of lowered attendance. Turns out it's hard to sell season tickets to a slate of cupcakes.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018

Maryland is a better team than Texas and look where they are

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I never thought I'd reach that point in my lifetime where I actually expect my team to "just beat everyone" they play. Alabama, A&M, LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc.

Like I said, it's weird. It doesn't matter who you put them up against. I expect to win. That use to be a laugh and a dream.

Now I just spend my days hoping we don't get lazy/sleep on a game when we shouldn't. Old Clemson (I've been a fan since I was a kid), would beat a top 10 team then lose to SC State or some nobody. It's hard to let go of that past, haha.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I never thought I'd reach that point in my lifetime where I actually expect my team to "just beat everyone" they play. Alabama, A&M, LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc.

Like I said, it's weird. It doesn't matter who you put them up against. I expect to win. That use to be a laugh and a dream.

Now I just spend my days hoping we don't get lazy/sleep on a game when we shouldn't. Old Clemson (I've been a fan since I was a kid), would beat a top 10 team then lose to SC State or some nobody. It's hard to let go of that past, haha.

I was there at the end of the Bowden Era and I still clench up early in games. I'm thinking it's a lifelong mental scar.

MrJames

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right...

Central Michigan's game against the Wisconsin Badgers didn't quite go how Jim McElwain thought it would.

Riding a 1-0 record into his team's Week 2 clash against the Badgers, McElwain put Wisconsin on upset alert. During his press conference on Thursday, the Chippewas' head coach liked his team's chances against the No. 17 ranked team in the country. According to Evan Petzold of CMLife, McElwain issued a warning to the Badgers.

"Look, they have no idea what's about to come," McElwain said. "I feel really good about these guys and the preparation."

Unfortunately for McElwain, it seems like the Badgers had a pretty good idea about what was coming. By the end of the first quarter, Wisconsin held a 16-0 lead and went on to score 28 more points in the second quarter alone. Wisconsin would go on to win the game by a score of 61-0. It was a long game for the Chippewas, who got thoroughly beaten in every aspect of the game.

If the scoreboard wasn't ugly enough, the rest of the stat sheet is pretty disgusting for Central Michigan. Wisconsin out-gained the Chippewas 599-58.