• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft has changed the Collector's Editions for Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs: Legion on Xbox, they now will only include a digital code to redeem on Xbox Live, instead of a physical disc.

PlayStation versions (both PS4 and PS5) are unaffected, customers still have the option to receive a physical disc or a digital code.

These changes are already effective in retailers like Amazon and Ubisoft Store.

Ubisoft didn't provide a reason, only a support page on their store:

Let's hope this does not become a trend.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Collectors editions are for those who collect crap. Thar sounds stupid.

Edit: Let me word this better. Collector's editions are for those who usually want to collect physical items. Not including the case and physical game sounds pretty dumb by Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Returners

Oct 25, 2017
Is this only for their store or does it apply to their Gold/Ultimate editions at retailers?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is this the first signs of some bought exclusivity/favouritism?

iirc the Prince of Persia Remake leaked with listings for PS4 and Switch but not Xbox...

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I think we can gather the reason. It comes down to what's selling and what's not. If the PlayStation versions stop selling, you will see something similar as well. It's business.
That doesn't really make sense. They're still selling the physical CE. Just removing the disc to save a few bucks. And take away the ability to trade, resell, etc.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I think we can gather the reason. It comes down to what's selling and what's not. If the PlayStation versions stop selling, you will see something similar as well. It's business.

This makes no sense?

They are still making the collector's edition and adding a disc...the same disc they are selling for the "standard edition".

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That doesn't really make sense. They're still selling the physical CE. Just removing the disc to save a few bucks. And take away the ability to trade, resell, etc.

This makes no sense?

They are still making the collector's edition and adding a disc...the same disc they are selling for the "standard edition".

Then if that's the case, what they're doing makes no sense either.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the first signs of some bought exclusivity/favouritism?

iirc the Prince of Persia Remake leaked with listings for PS4 and Switch but not Xbox...

Quite the opposite in fact, as those games (at the very least Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs) have a marketing deal with Microsoft, the Xbox branding being the only one you can see in the trailers, even on the Ubisoft channel).

The Prince of Persia Remake retail listing does not matter, it was just incomplete since nothing is even official right now.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Kinda seems backwards with the PS5 Digital
I was expecting PS5 collectors editions to start being digital

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
You can expect the same on PS5 if the PS5 Digital becomes the best selling version.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Playstation probably sells more physical and makes more sense worldwide. They aren't gonna do it just for kicks. It probably made business sense. There will be a day when all types of "physical" editions are limited.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I guess they're probably making an experiment on the smaller base. If it's successful they'll do it also on ps consoles.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely related to Sony lockdown on digital keys, as they want you to only be able to get digital keys through PSN.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Probably because of the smart delivery. The game would have to ship on discs the Xbox one could read so they probably can't do more than the 50 gig discs. If the next gen version is 75-100 gigs you'd have to download a ton anyways on Xbox. Sucks for resale though.

Edit: Just remembered this is just for collectors editions and presumably the standard editions will still have discs so my point wouldn't make much sense.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I think it's related to Smart Delivery. Maybe MS is asking publishers that support SD to prioritize digital copies?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Utter nonsense. If you're one of the few people who wants to get a collector's edition of a game, it should come with a physical disc.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Maybe the Series X is using so much of its graphical power that there's not enough left to run the disk drive? Food for thought...

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I know Wolfenstein got flack for not offering the game with it's collector's edition, but honestly that is a better solution, if priced appropriately. Make the CE platform agnostic and form agnostic (digital or physical).

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
How incredibly odd.

I mean, there's probably some reason, but I can't figure out what, considering there's still going to disc versions for normal editions and it would be the same disc.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Hmm, I'm all digital so this is perfect for me who often wants to CE stuff without the disk. It seems weird to not have a choice though.

Megaten

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda to end the speculation on this (well maybe, this is still just an idea), I wanna point out what Lampa said in the other thread that's currently up about this.

"Looking at Valhalla's page on Amazon, it seems that PS4 and PS5 version are separate SKU, and contents on the disc might be different, where as Xbox has one SKU for both consoles, they probably don't want to bottleneck themselves with non-UHD Blu-Rays because of base Xbox One"

This is the reason, most likely. It's because MS are pushing for one unified packaging...so you'd have to have a non-UHD Bluray to account for the old ass base Xbone, and then put a UHD version in there as well so Series X users wouldn't go crazy about a huge additional download. PS4/PS5 having different SKUs solves this, and so for Xbox why increase the packaging cost when you could just shave it down instead? The one box "Xbox" family packaging is the likely cause here.