• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The Halo Reach collector's edition with Dr. Halsey's journal has been about the only collector's edition I've found was actually worth the extra money spent...

That said, I don't know how much "practical" use I got out of it...outside of something to read while on the toilet...

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Can't think of any sadly. I wish a game I actually loved enough to get a LE would have actually useful stuff in it. All I have is a bunch of figurines n trinkets.

One framed picture from the Guild Wars 2 CE is hanging in my apartment, if that counts.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The only reason why I bought the God of War 3 collector's edition was to get Pandora's box. And man it is still a delight to put stuff in that box. ^__^
I use Pandora's Box to hold my collection of an ill-fated board game called Yu-Gi-Oh! Dungeon Dice Monsters. It holds all of the miniatures, dice, and crest counting gadgets nicely.

I also got the GTA IV CE. I've used the duffel bag as a carry-on for day trips, and I use the GTA IV lockbox to hold various moments from my relationship with my wife (movie stubs, etc.) over the years.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Probably the physical version of the spell book in Ni No Kuni's CE.

Helped a lot in the game with translating the magic symbols having it in my lap instead of flipping through menus.

Yeah that Wizard's Edition was great. The King's Edition of NNK2, not so much.

The Breath of the Wild Special Edition, more or less.

I still use the case for my Switch.

Breath of the Wild, since I use the case for my Switch whenever it leaves the house.

Probably the Zelda Breath of the Wild Master Edition, I still use the case that came with it and it fits pretty much all of my games.

This one also, almost 2 years later and I'm still using it as my Switch case (although I did just buy a Waterfield case).

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely the BOTW Switch Shiekah Slate carrying case! I wish companies would make stuff like this that was more practical, instead of just statues and junk.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
All my Blizzard collectors editions. They came with in game pets for World of Warcraft and I use them for pet battles in game. One of the starcraft ones (mini thor I think) is a pretty good battle pet. Sadly dont have the pets from the original CE though.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
got quite a bit of use out of my saints row 2 flash drive

sr2_ce_360_pal4.jpg

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
The only reason why I bought the God of War 3 collector's edition was to get Pandora's box. And man it is still a delight to put stuff in that box. ^__^
+1.
And from the day of release, I am using the talking head keychain that came with GoW 2018 stone mason edition.

Probably the physical version of the spell book in Ni No Kuni's CE.

Helped a lot in the game with translating the magic symbols having it in my lap instead of flipping through menus.
This!! I searched hard for that edition, but couldnt even find one that is below 300$ :(

Also the book ends that came with MK9 CE are very useful and looks awesome too.
Random google image.
5950496024_c3d2d938f6_b.jpg

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Muramasa Rebirth and Breath of the Wild because of the cases they came with.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Super Smash Bros Ultimate's Limited Edition. Sure, it's just a steelbook and a controller, but that controller is awesome.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
That's a great looking skin. Wish the Muramasa one actually wrapped around the buttons like that, as mine is coming somewhat loose precisely in the corner near the d-pad.
It really is beautiful but surprisingly it also fits 100% without any shenanigans. I thought the Muramasa and P4G CEs have been manufactured by the same company as the items in there look very similar? At least the hard case and skin do.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The bag that came with Persona 5 was really good. I lost it, but I had a ton of use out of it when I still had it.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I use those Yakuza 6 whiskey glasses now and then when I feel like drinking some whiskey. It's nice stuff.
I guess I'm still using the bottle opener I got from the InFamous: SS collectors edition sometimes too. I also used to wear the beanie now and then, but I lost it.

Dec 3, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
This badass shell (and the screen protector) has been protecting my OG Vita for the past five years years:

muramasa-LE-photo-FINAL-V2_1024x1024.jpg

I'm talking specifically about the gray shell and screen/face protector, the other items are nice but don't get much use.

Came here to post this. I put my Vita in the shell and it never came back out ever since I got it. The pouch is also really cool, but a complete dust and lint magnet, so I just kept it in the box. I eventually changed the screen protector to the P4DAN one, cause I got tired of the Muramasa design.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
The PC Collector's Edition of Rayman 3 came with a bag. I gave it to a girl I liked at a time, so in a way it contributed to getting me laid.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really is beautiful but surprisingly it also fits 100% without any shenanigans. I thought the Muramasa and P4G CEs have been manufactured by the same company as the items in there look very similar? At least the hard case and skin do.
I think the Muramasa stuff is done by Hori, not sure about the P4G thingies. Also, here's a picture to show how the skin is designed not to wrap around completely the d-pad/face buttons:
Came here to post this. I put my Vita in the shell and it never came back out ever since I got it. The pouch is also really cool, but a complete dust and lint magnet, so I just kept it in the box. I eventually changed the screen protector to the P4DAN one, cause I got tired of the Muramasa design.
Heh, same here. It also feels somewhat unnecessary what with how the shell is pretty sturdy.
Edit: better picture

Last edited:

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I don't exactly use it besides being a nice table piece but the Metal Gear Rising plasma lamp is one of the coolest CE items ever.

source.gif

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I quite like my Fire Emblem Fates special edition with all three campaigns on one cart as I knew I'd play them all. One of the few collectors editions I've bothered with. Most of the physical stuff you get with such editions is cheap tat, but generally I like artbooks, maps and soundtrack CDs over cheap, badly painted models, posters with fold lines in them where they've been squeezed into a small box and poorly cast statues.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Nba 2k10 10th anniversary edition. It came with a game locker that I used to store my physical games in. I'm all digital now and I sold that locker for 80 bucks on Craigslist. So that's been the most useful. I don't collect crap now.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I have no use for collector's editions usually, unless they're marginally more than a standard, like a steelbook and maybe an audio CD or something.

HOWEVER

There was a time when the $99 or whatever collector's edition of Mirror's Edge: Catalyst was being blown out for $20 or something ridiculous on Amazon:

6653303.attach

I bought that- but it has never actually left the Amazon box it shipped in. the box is HUGE. I've never looked at it. It sits an obscure corner of my mancave and I forget I own this game constantly.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never played Yakuza, but passing by that CE at Best Buy has been tempting.

As for what I've purchased, probably the Fallout 3 Lunch box, though it mostly stores bits and bobs from other CEs and preorders.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
51lonl7ZDdL._AC_SX215_.jpg

I have this The Sims 3 Collector's Edition and still using its 2GB Plumbob flash drive to this day, sometimes, for quick file transfer.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
I always drink my tea in the winter from my saga frontier cup.
pa.94851.2.jpg

And my gf and me use the front mission 3 wallet for our household shopping money:
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Never!

That actually reminds me, as an apology for delayed start for Witcher 2 CE owners [we were supposed to start a day early] CDPR send us apology t-shirts and to this fuckin' day I wear this when I'm at home [photo not mine, but it's identical]:

e6cf1e0b4342bcfa1732fdca4474
CDPR sent you a T-shirt in the mail (which must've cost them at least $15 with production and shipping) because you got the game a single day late?

Man i fucking love their devotion to customer satisfaction.

Gonzon06

One Winged Slayer
Nov 28, 2017
Definitely agree with the Yakuza 6 shot glasses and Botw switch case. The Smash controller is getting some use too

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You nailed it OP. I saw that and, having been recently converted into a Yakuza fan, decided that I absolutely needed it. I only ever sip rum from those awesome glasses. The art book is super nice. Those chilling rocks are pretty cool too.

It's the only CE I think is worth a damn.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
You nailed it OP. I saw that and, having been recently converted into a Yakuza fan, decided that I absolutely needed it. I only ever sip rum from those awesome glasses. The art book is super nice. Those chilling rocks are pretty cool too.

It's the only CE I think is worth a damn.

Agree. Initially I thought it was tad too pricey but after using it for so long I'd gladly pay even more haha.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
My mom keeps Pandora's Box from the GoW III CE as decoration for the living room, to this day I don't think she realizes what the hell it is lol, she just thinks it's cool so I let her have it. I'd take a pic of it but it's in the other house and I'm not there rn :(

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
The New Vegas card game ofc !

1274c2863cb8156bb04ee9e86574ec44.jpg

...At least it would be if I wasn't so protective towards my collector's things.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
haven't bothered with a CE in well over a decade at this point

99% of the time all the extra stuff is just useless, cheaply made trinkets. Cost is never justified. Plus, I don't really collect games, I just play what I want and then move on

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 Collector Edition on PC.

I still play D2 and I still use the red crystal USB dongle when I need to install it. This is the best CE I bought so far.

Also the Persona Q CE for the 3DS pouch it came with...still carrying my 3DS in it to this day.