• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I've been gaming since early 90s without any major breaks [save for more obvious stuff like exams and both bachelor's and master's thesis] and I just realized that I've only bought 2 collector's editions during this entire period.

I always thought that CEs are quite useless and would serve only as paper weights or specialized devices for professional dust collecting. After some years have passed and I started earning more money to support my hobby, I finally broke and bought my first, The Witcher's 2 CE, however it only served to prove the point in my eyes, because while the gadgets were cool, I never did use the dices and Geralt's bust is still standing proudly on my shelf collecting the aforementioned dust.

With my belief reinforced by a more tangible experience, I ignored all CEs that came after, no matter how interesting or cool they've looked... that is until one very special Collector's Edition was announced that I just couldn't resist, not because I knew I'd use it, but mainly because I felt the need to support the series with all my might [and wallet]:

917QPihhe8L._SL1500_.jpg

Aaaaand... holy shit did that turn out to be an accidental jackpot, because I don't think a day passes by where I'm not using those glasses and ice stones. One glass is for whisky and the other for soft drinks/water. The only reason I'm doing this thread is because right now I'm drinking whisky and got curious if anybody has any similar stuff from CEs they're using quite often?

So, with that ouf of the way, cheers ERA.

nVekrO3.jpg

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread idea OP! I bought the "Hero Edition" of Infamous 2 and still use the backpack when I take my dog for a walk. It's small, but it fits what I need for myself and the doggo without weighing me down.

18j2jxyo4skz5jpg.jpg

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I haven't found any use for the collectors that i've owned so aside from supporting the game I usually gift w/e comes with it. Now that I see that Yakuza Collector's though I regret not getting it.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason why I bought the God of War 3 collector's edition was to get Pandora's box. And man it is still a delight to put stuff in that box. ^__^

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The GTAIV Collector's edition had a sweet (but small) duffle bag I used in college.

It eventually broke, I still have the lock box though. One of the more practical ones I've had. The rest are just statues and action figures taking up room. Oh well, nerd cred I suppose.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
The only CE I've bought in the past 5 years was the Yakuza 6 CE, because it is actually good (I don't want big, shitty statues cluttering my room). (I don't count the Yakuza 0 Business Edition b/c it was standard retail price)
Besides that, I think the only other CE I've ever bought is the Payday 2 CE, I don't use the items but I don't particularly regret it due to it being only being $20 extra.

EDIT: I forgot I bought both the FE Fates and the FE Echoes CE. Fates was a good buy, considering it's the only way to get a physical version of all 3 routes and it's worth more than I bought it for, but Echoes was kinda a meh purchase in retrospect.

The only game's CE that I regret not buying is Persona 5, I want that Morgana plush and bag

Last edited:

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Probably the physical version of the spell book in Ni No Kuni's CE.

Helped a lot in the game with translating the magic symbols having it in my lap instead of flipping through menus.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Good thread idea OP! I bought the "Hero Edition" of Infamous 2 and still use the backpack when I take my dog for a walk. It's small, but it fits what I need for myself and the doggo without weighing me down.

18j2jxyo4skz5jpg.jpg

I googled for a more real life example and it looks pretty cool! It reminds me of the L&M cigarettes backpack I won in a lottery back in the day when I smoked.

I wanted to buy that Yakuza 6 Collector's Edition but my wallet was crushed...

If I become an alcoholic one day and people ask me why, I'm gonna point to that collector's edition as the reason, so maybe you dodged a bullet after all haha.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I googled for a more real life example and it looks pretty cool! It reminds me of the L&M cigarettes backpack I won in a lottery back in the day when I smoked.

If I become an alcoholic one day and people ask me why, I'm gonna point to that collector's edition as the reason, so maybe you dodged a bullet after all haha.
I don't drink alcohol but I can see me drinking a lot more soda and stuff which is bad for health.

In any case I want it and will hopefully buy it when I get done with university and have a better job :).

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The Yakuza 6 collector's edition came with some nice coasters and some decent whiskey glasses I use regularly. Also with stones you freeze to chill your whiskey, i forget what they're called.

Every other CE I've ever bought that wasn't useless junk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I don't drink alcohol but I can see me drinking a lot more soda and stuff which is bad for health.

In any case I want it and will hopefully buy it when I get done with university and have a better job :).

Best of luck with that!

The Yakuza 6 collector's edition came with some nice coasters and some decent whiskey glasses I use regularly. Also with stones you freeze to chill your whiskey, i forget what they're called.

Every other CE I've ever bought was useless junk

Welcome to the club then.

They're called ice stones I think, at least that's how I wrote in the OP, not sure since I'm not a native speaker of ENG.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best of luck with that!

Welcome to the club then.

They're called ice stones I think, at least that's how I wrote in the OP, not sure since I'm not a native speaker of ENG.
Thanks!

That GTA4 collection was really cool. I remember hearing stories about people making it their weed stash which made me laugh a lot because of how fitting it is.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I sometimes put my phone and stuff for work in the bag that came with Danganronpa V3's limited edition.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks!
That GTA4 collection was really cool. I remember hearing stories about people making it their weed stash which made me laugh a lot because of how fitting it is.

I use the lockbox to stash my marijuana and marijuana accessories.

lmao, talk about timing.

Gonna pour some Hibiki up on one, neat, as soon as a get home tonight.

Cheers.

My kyodai, cheers!

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There has to be at least one person in the world who gets all their apparel and accessories (like backpacks) from video game collector's editions right?

I guess it'd have to be "almost all" because I've yet to see a CE that includes pants or shoes.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami

18j2jxyo4skz5jpg.jpg

I used this bag for my entire senior year of high school, and tried using it when I went off to college to but the zipper had broken by that point. Still got it in my closet somewhere.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Having gotten a fair amount of CE's this year (including the yakuza 6 one) I haven't taken it out the box other than to initially check them out. I've even gotten worse by not even opening my Red Dead 2's collector's edition. Outside of being a pleasant displays. Can't think of any of the special editions that i got practical use out of.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I've stopped buying them for the most part as I never use the extra's that come with them. That said, recent ones I did buy were Breath of the Wild. I'm a huge Zelda fan so I had to have it and I do use the Master Sword statuette, I have it in my living room in fact.

Also Yakuza 6 which came with whiskey glasses and stone ice cubes both of which I use.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
My best friend still uses the Infamous 2 sack as a general all purpose bag.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The only one I've bought is Mass Effect 3, and I still regularly play ME3, so I guess I've gotten plenty of use out of it.

Maybe looked at the art book twice since I first beat it, though.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to just being a well-designed edition, the Zombrex Edition of Dead Rising 2 came with a pen (fashioned to look like a syringe, with in fairness, got some odd looks) that lasted for ages.

xbox-360-dead-rising-2-zombrex-steel-book-limited-edition.png

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Made use of the Keyring from the Forza Motorsport 3 for years, despite it going a very fetching bronze colour.

Deleted member 4434

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese Biohazard 5 collector's edition came with an USB I used a lot.
Also the US Collector's Edition came with a bag that I still use whenever I go to the beach.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This badass shell (and the screen protector) has been protecting my OG Vita for the past five years years:

muramasa-LE-photo-FINAL-V2_1024x1024.jpg

I'm talking specifically about the gray shell and screen/face protector, the other items are nice but don't get much use.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Probably the Zelda Breath of the Wild Master Edition, I still use the case that came with it and it fits pretty much all of my games.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I'm still using the screen protector/ skin which came with the P4G CE. The soft yellow case also still serves me well whenever I take the Vita on a trip with me, as it can store everything I need.
20150110_132933egsfb.jpg

20150110_131507bfscg.jpg