• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

Should be a real one. I don't think Colbert will be holding back. I'll need to find a way to watch it live.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
He flipped shit after Trump's treasonous post election speech. This will go 100x above that.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
only if the appearance is so they can apologize for the absurdly embarrassing "both sides are bad" nonsense of this rally they held back when it was already obvious that America was headed in this direction.

the only people who remember that rally are the ones upset about bothsideism. It was bad, but not something they should be apologizing for 12 years later lol

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
the only people who remember that rally are the ones upset about bothsideism. It was bad, but not something they should be apologizing for 12 years later lol

they absolutely should though, the daily show was almost as bad as the west wing in giving liberals ludicrous ideas about how persuasive politics work.

like, why wouldn't anyone be upset about bothsidesism? it's at least 50% at fault for what's going on right now.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Man...i'm so tired and so sad...I might stay up to watch this to help lift my spirits...but goddamn is this just fucked.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
they absolutely should though, the daily show was almost as bad as the west wing in giving liberals ludicrous ideas about how persuasive politics work.

like, why wouldn't anyone be upset about bothsidesism? it's at least 50% at fault for what's going on right now.
The Daily Show and the rally were two different things? I watched the Daily Show (daily) from 2005-2012 and it radicalized me more against right wing media and republicans than anything else; especially as a new immigrant to the country. Definitely not a both-sides type show.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

You've never watched any of these shows, have you?

Don't troll post

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
That was pre-Tea Party and both of them regret it

Tea Party started in 2009, the Rally was October 2010.

The Daily Show and the rally were two different things? I watched the Daily Show (daily) from 2005-2012 and it radicalized me more against right wing media and republicans than anything else; especially as a new immigrant to the country. Definitely not a both-sides type show.

Daily Show was bad in a different way than The West Wing, but it's fatal flaw politically was thinking that just making fun of the Right was good enough to win the argument. It's a lot to ask of a comedy show, I know, but it would have been nice if they'd found a way to give a positive idea to work towards rather than just easy takedowns of the right. I'm speaking as someone who loved the show back at its peak and was guilty of the same kind of thinking... it clearly doesn't work.

OP
OP
PersonAndStuff
Oct 27, 2017

Daily Show was bad in a different way than The West Wing, but it's fatal flaw politically was thinking that just making fun of the Right was good enough to win the argument. It's a lot to ask of a comedy show, I know, but it would have been nice if they'd found a way to give a positive idea to work towards rather than just easy takedowns of the right. I'm speaking as someone who loved the show back at its peak and was guilty of the same kind of thinking... it clearly doesn't work.
I mean, that kind of the style of the time. To pick a side was a cardinal sin. Nowadays, Seth Meyers says the Republican party wants to destroy democracy every single episode. They should still t-shirts.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

yeah, I saw this when it was brand new. and what happened since then? Tucker's on tv every night without even the slightest pushback. His attempt to "restore sanity" and get 24 hour news to stop "hurting America" is noble but a totally failed project. He's 100% right that cable news is destroying America, but that Rally was an embarrassment.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I watched The Daily Show almost every day from the very first year it aired when it had Craig Kilborn and Liz Winstead, for more than a decade...
Lmao if you actually weren't trolling or being obtuse, you wouldn't be referencing Craig Killborn. Glad you wikipedia'd that but Craig's show was not the same.

And you only watched the Daily Show for a decade starting with fucking Killborn reign? Lmao

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, what a stupid fucking take on a day like today.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like I'm upset about how ineffectual all attempts in the last 20 years to avert this exact thing from happening has been. But maybe Stewart and Colbert will make some really cutting jokes that'll make us feel better for a few minutes and change nothing about what's happening nationally.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Yeah, I mean, it's not like I'm upset about how ineffectual all attempts in the last 20 years to avert this exact thing from happening has been. But maybe Stewart and Colbert will make some really cutting jokes that'll make us feel better for a few minutes and change nothing about what's happening nationally.

Yawn, dude. They're comedians. Sorry they don't have the power to make white supremacy go away by talking.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao if you actually weren't trolling or being obtuse, you wouldn't be referencing Craig Killborn. Glad you wikipedia'd that but Craig's show was not the same.

And you only watched the Daily Show for a decade starting with fucking Killborn reign? Lmao

dude I'm in my 40's, I watched Comedy Central for decades, it's precisely because I didn't check Wikipedia that said over a decade, I fell off sometime in Obama admin because I stopped watching TV in general. My favorite bit is the one where John Oliver changed out the cue cards after rehearsal for the fake British troop names and Stewart loses his shit during the taping because the names are so funny. I don't know why you think I'm lying about something so inconsequential!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I saw this when it was brand new. and what happened since then? Tucker's on tv every night without even the slightest pushback. His attempt to "restore sanity" and get 24 hour news to stop "hurting America" is noble but a totally failed project. He's 100% right that cable news is destroying America, but that Rally was an embarrassment.
The entire interview is about how ridiculous it was to try and hold the jester to the same standard as a news organization. And the same goes for what you're trying to hold Stewart & Colbert to for a silly comedy rally in 2010. They aren't journalists or politicians. They are here to state the truth through humor, not save the world.

Today is not the day for you to be derailing a thread about an upcoming Colbert episode with old nonsense

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Yawn, dude. They're comedians. Sorry they don't have the power to make white supremacy go away by talking.

Stewart opens himself up to this criticism by holding a rally like that and saying that we have to distinguish between "real racists" and Repulbicans! He's not just a "comedian" he's a political comedian. Sheesh. Sorry I criticized your sacred cow or whatever.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
dude I'm in my 40's, I watched Comedy Central for decades, it's precisely because I didn't check Wikipedia that said over a decade, I fell off sometime in Obama admin because I stopped watching TV in general. My favorite bit is the one where John Oliver changed out the cue cards after rehearsal for the fake British troop names and Stewart loses his shit during the taping because the names are so funny. I don't know why you think I'm lying about something so inconsequential!
Stewart opens himself up to this criticism by holding a rally like that and saying that we have to distinguish between "real racists" and Repulbicans! He's not just a "comedian" he's a political comedian. Sheesh. Sorry I criticized your sacred cow or whatever.
Stop

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Today is not the day for you to be derailing a thread about an upcoming Colbert episode with old nonsense

You could stop derailing the thread by accusing me of lying about having watched the Daily Show perhaps? I mean, I'm only replying to your posts because you're so incredulous that I could have a dissenting take on how great Stewart is. (Though I do absolutely enormously respect his work for 9/11 related charities, he's far from all bad, I just think today in particular reopens a wound from how stupid that fuckin' rally was.)

You could take this to private messages or alert a mod, but really, you accused me of lying about watching a tv show, so maybe you should stop? I don't have anything more to say on this topic and I think my view is pretty clear. Have a nice evening.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
You could stop derailing the thread by accusing me of lying about having watched the Daily Show perhaps? I mean, I'm only replying to your posts because you're so incredulous that I could have a dissenting take on how great Stewart is. (Though I do absolutely enormously respect his work for 9/11 related charities, he's far from all bad, I just think today in particular reopens a wound from how stupid that fuckin' rally was.)

You could take this to private messages or alert a mod, but really, you accused me of lying about watching a tv show, so maybe you should stop? I don't have anything more to say on this topic and I think my view is pretty clear. Have a nice evening.
Stop derailing the thread

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Any way to watch this without cable? Some streaming service or something?

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
only if the appearance is so they can apologize for the absurdly embarrassing "both sides are bad" nonsense of this rally they held back when it was already obvious that America was headed in this direction.
Actually, they did just that the last time he was on the show.

And given that we still have today, on this very day, Era posters feeling the need to tone police Biden's speech as much if not more than the deplorable actions Trump and his cronies enabled, I think we can forgive Colbert and Stewart for not quite picking up on the issue over a decade ago.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, they did just that the last time he was on the show.

And given that we still have today, on this very day, Era posters feeling the need to tone police Biden's speech as much if not more than the deplorable actions Trump and his cronies enabled, I think we can forgive Colbert and Stewart for not quite picking up on the issue over a decade ago.

That's good to hear, I genuinely like them both as people and really think their hearts are in the right place; if anything they did a great job proving that comedy alone can't fix the mess we're in and that's valuable in and of itself.

It's not a thread derail.

yeah, I mean, it hasn't happened yet so all the other posts in the thread are "where can I watch this," so the "has Fhtagn actually watched the Daily Show" drama was a nice diversion keeping it on the front page. Next up, let's see if Era believes I also watched Strangers With Candy and The Vacant Lot... :-)

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
if anything they did a great job proving that comedy alone can't fix the mess we're in and that's valuable in and of itself.
Did you really think they were trying to do otherwise? That seems more to be an expectation you foisted upon their craft, early on, not one they themselves ever asserted.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Did you really think they were trying to do otherwise? That seems more to be an expectation you foisted upon their craft, early on, not one they themselves ever asserted.

I mean, lots of people for a long time seemed to think all it would take to defeat Bush was to make fun of how stupid he was, and that was most of the effort made in 2015/2016 before Trump was elected, so whether or not they intended to have that kind of effect, it's been in the air for a long time now.

also, fully willing to admit I was naive as heck in my 20s when Bush was president so that's coloring things as well. When I'm griping about liberals I'm often griping about the patterns I recognize in others from my own youthful optimism.

anyhow I didn't mean to get into all this too deeply, something about today's events really dug up some feelings about that early Obama era when we had a couple years of feeling hopeful before it was crushed back to reality.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
His appearance that went viral is probably what lead to the program being cancelled a few months later after being on the air for over 2 decades. It hurt Tucker's career and he didn't really have relevance on Fox News until he attached himself to white nationalism and Trump. The Daily Show had played a big role at the time of pointing out the issues with cable news, and not just Fox but CNN as well.

The rally was probably more of a missed opportunity than an embarassment since they were able to get so many people to attend but didn't push for anything meaningful.