• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
If it's a work: yikes

If it's real: Awesome. Cody's side of AEW was the worst. And I hope this is the start of some fresher talent and ideas coming to AEW.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Something else to keep in mind too, is this could also be Khan sending a message that he's the captain now. Didn't Omega and the Bucks say that Khan took a lot of their creative and put it under himself?

IIRC the whole "they're EVPs in name only now" rumour ended up being way overblown.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I was fine with Cody in AEW. He started very strong, but it all started to go down with him taking a time off and that Agogo feud. I liked the most recent "will he turn" angle.

I wish him luck. AEW is already well oiled machine, we'll be fine without him.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt it's a work but I also doubt Cody is going to WWE. Setting aside burnt bridges I think he knows he'll never be the star he was in AEW, especially the star he was the first year or year and a half of AEW. If WWE actually has any interest in him it would be to spite AEW cause if they didn't have interest in him before I doubt him leaving and trashing the company on the way out would change anything.

Does he attempt to start another company or partner with another existing company like NWA or Impact? Worth noting that he's someone who said he wants to retire by 40 so assuming he sticks to that whatever deal he makes next could be his last. That said, a lot of people at AEW LOVE Cody so if he were to leave for another company or start another company a lot of those folks could very well jump ship to join him if not right away then after their contracts are up. Dustin isn't leaving now but is that because he doesn't want to leave or because his contract isn't up? What does this mean for AEW's partnership with the Nightmare Factory? There's a lot of repercussions to Cody leaving so it'll be interesting to see where it all goes.

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I think Cody and Brandi talked each other up into thinking they're as important now in 2022 as they were 2018.

AEW has passed them by. And if this is real, I say "bye" to them.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I was fine with Cody in AEW. He started very strong, but it all started to go down with him taking a time off and that Agogo feud. I liked the most recent "will he turn" angle.

I wish him luck. AEW is already well oiled machine, we'll be fine without him.
I feel like his AEW run went downhill after he beat Brody Lee for the TNT title. His place as an on screen talent became incredibly aimless and uninteresting after that and I think his promos weren't as good anymore either.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
One less Dan Lambert segment too.

R.a9f3725fbdec00dfe79c20e3cea9d17e

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like his AEW run went downhill after he beat Brody Lee for the TNT title. His place as an on screen talent became incredibly aimless and uninteresting after that and I think his promos weren't as good anymore either.
Lockdown was a wild time, so many storylines struggled.

I'm still not happy that Pac never got his true chance for main event run. He was absent for so long during lockdown, stuck in UK.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Despite being a Rhodes; Cody never seemed like a lifer in the business & wanted to branch out. WWE offers way more spotlight & opportunities than AEW. Makes sense to make a ton of money & use the avenues through WWE to set up his life after the ring.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This would be great as I'm not a Cody fan, but it seems weird for him to go back to where he was a geek.

His promos helped him outside WWE, but he'll be scripted in WWE and his wrestling was never outstanding so it's hard to imagine him getting over to the extent that a big $$$ deal would necessitate with Vince.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Despite being a Rhodes; Cody never seemed like a lifer in the business & wanted to branch out. WWE offers way more spotlight & opportunities than AEW. Makes sense to make a ton of money & use the avenues through WWE to set up his life after the ring.

Dude got two reality shows with TNT via AEW. WWE would be a massive downgrade if that's what he wanted to do.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This would be great as I'm not a Cody fan, but it seems weird for him to go back to where he was a geek.

His promos helped him outside WWE, but he'll be scripted in WWE and his wrestling was never outstanding so it's hard to imagine him getting over to the extent that a big $$$ deal would necessitate with Vince.

Unless his deal includes more freedom too

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Doesn't really make sense. The dude has been the face of that company since day one and his work schedule of anyone working there is drastically lower than in WWE for almost equal pay

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
He's said publicly that he wants to retire by 40 so yeah, this is why he's probably looking at other avenues.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Sounds like Cody might view this as his last big wrestling contract before in ring retirement, and WWE was going to offer Cody more then AEW was willing to agree to.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Does Cody own his entrance theme? Or is that AEW IP? Cause him coming out on Raw to that would be something.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
There are. AEW's Nightmare Factory partnership and how many people in that locker room LOVE Cody means that there's a lot of people in AEW who once their contracts are up will likely go to wherever he goes. That is actually probably the main reason WWE would be interested in him.

WWE has their own performance center and actively does not want trained wrestlers.

Plus QT is still in AEW and Dustin has said he is saying. I think Cody looking for a payday is not going to automatically mean "all the people Cody love" go wherever he goes.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
There are. AEW's Nightmare Factory partnership and how many people in that locker room LOVE Cody means that there's a lot of people in AEW who once their contracts are up will likely go to wherever he goes. That is actually probably the main reason WWE would be interested in him.

WWE really hoping QT and the Factory jump ship

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

24/7 division just got 2 more years of material

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get what he gets out of going back to WWE. He could have easily stayed with AEW on a part time basis while he continues to do reality shows for Warner and exploring other stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this has been the blueprint for the last 20 years. Vince not giving you a push? Leave, get yourself over somewhere else, then come back to Vince for a fat paycheck and possibly a title run.

The only thing that makes this different was the presumption that Rhodes may have some kind of equity in AEW.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
WWE has their own performance center and actively does not want trained wrestlers.

Plus QT is still in AEW and Dustin has said he is saying. I think Cody looking for a payday is not going to automatically mean "all the people Cody love" go wherever he goes.
It wouldn't be the first time WWE hired people not because they were actually interested in them but to keep them away from alternatives. Again, QT and Dustin are likely staying because their contracts aren't up. You really think Cody's brother and the co-owner of the Nightmare Factory aren't going to go wherever Cody goes? Unless Cody gets his tattoo removed divests himself of his co-ownership there's no reason the Nightmare Factory wouldn't go where Cody goes. Even if they don't partner with WWE it seemed like AEW had a pretty exclusive access to their talent so that would likely come to an end. Same goes with QT and Dustin, maybe they don't get hired by WWE but if Cody isn't in AEW I find it hard to believe they stick around long term.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While it's looking more likely that it's not a work still weird with him having his TNT shows. Vince would want a cut of his Rhodes shit, especially if it's backstage on wwe. At least this is an interesting Tuesday morning.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since AEW really kicked it into gear the last year or so, anything involving Cody/Nightmare Family always felt so out of place and forced. It was like the show would just come to a screeching halt. Wish him the best, especially if he ends up back at WWE, but I don't think AEW will miss a beat.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Are WWE in the habit of offering guaranteed contracts with even partial creative control clauses these days? If not he'll be taking them at their word, and some of their recent releases have shown that their word isn't worth much.

I don't even think brock has actual creative control in his contract, I heard on one of the recent observer shows that around the rumble brock would say no to certain plans for the rumble involving him so they had to keep changing them, but that brock doesn't have a contract for control but more a "brock gets what he wants" thing. Wwe know brock could easily just fuck off if they won't listen to his demands on certain stuff, can't see them giving control in any form to Cody and definitely not in an actual contract that could be binding in some way.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It would be so strange for him to go back because he knows firsthand the gimmick hell they gave him with Stardust. They must have promised him an absurd amount of money, an assured main event scene push, and the freedom to do the side projects he does. Anything less than that and it's a downgrade.

If he's not going back to WWE, I honestly cannot think of a company he'd migrate to. Ring of Honor is not signing talent anytime soon. Impact is by all accounts a downgrade. New Japan has the nightmare with COVID limiting all of this cross-promotion. The only other option I can think of is he's moving away from wrestling altogether if it's not WWE blood money.

Oct 27, 2017
He can do what he wants but wow. Imo kinda upset he's doing that to AEW. They're developing into real competition and making some small positive changes to wrestling, have a better product, and he's going back to Vince? A literal monster who treats his workers like crap?

I knew some big AEW talent had to defect to WWE but hoped it wouldn't be the original big gets like omega, bucks, and Cody.

Maybe it's too new and raw but if he goes back to WWE i find it hard to not see a scenario where I lose respect for him. It's like doing the work to raise up a small business, and just when the business is doing great, going to work for Walmart and to try to crush small businesses like the one he used to work for. Idk. I'm probably being too dramatic, it just feels like an unnecessary downgrade in every sense not just for him but the wrestling industry to have one of the AEW founding talents defect only 3 years in.

Jericho? Sure. Moxley? I'd get it.