• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Always possible this is a work, but it is being reported by many different sources. Would be the first major AEW to WWE jump and would be a big one.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow wrestling really. But to an outsider AEW sort of Was Rhodes?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Interesting. How much of the bag did WWE bring, and doesn't Cody have interests in the company that go beyond wrestling? Is he still involved on the business side?

If he can show up in Wrestlemania and still leave the door open to hop back, it's a win win for both him (da bag!) and AEW when he eventually leaves the WWE because they can't do anything right, lol.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Holy fuck.

I mean, I'm okay with this, since Cody has been one of the worst parts of AEW TV for the last six months. But seriously, wow.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I always get the vibe that Cody and Brandi thought AEW would make them bigger crossover stars than they are

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
from reddit:

Austin comes back, stunner, wins, chandelier drops

ADRENALINE, IN MY SOUL, HEY STONE COLD, ITS CODY RHODES

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure WWE will definitely treat him well and make him look strong and not use the intense pettiness of wwe and make one of the original bigger AEW stars look like shit and job him out a bunch after a few months acting like they're pushing him etc. I honestly hope it goes well for him if he goes back but considering how wwe treats a lot of its current talent, how it has treated talent that was a bigger deal elsewhere for competition of wwe and how it's treated him in the past I wouldn't be surprised if he gets paid and leaves again on fairly bad terms in a few years.

I thought there were rumours he wanted to do more roles on tv shows and host tv shows etc a while back, so he may just take a break from full time wrestling for a while if he wants to do that.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't liked much of Cody's AEW run (I honestly liked his WWE stuff a lot more) but this would still be pretty insane.

So many folks think its a work so its probably real

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I think going back to WWE would be a mistake, other than the higher profile being better in terms of branching out in TV more. Wrestling wise he'd be midcard 4 life pretty much instantly. If the money is good and helps other aspects they want to get into, then they'd probably consider that to be a worthy trade off.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of top talent leaving the Premier League for Real Madrid or Barcelona knowing full well they are going to bomb and the money isn't worth it. Dude was there before. He knows what to expect but is still leaving. Won't feel bad when he is buried.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The other day Jericho tweeted that he and Owens will meet again. Is this Cody news just a work and forbidden door is actually opening? Please make it so, I want my Roman vs Moxley redemption arc.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
don't doubt it's real. don't really care at all. none of his codyverse stuff has hit at all.

make that money, cody.

will be funny to see how he's booked long-term, though i doubt he'll care with the bags of money he'll secure.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Mf6kRks.gif

Oct 27, 2017
This is very, very funny (and interesting). Cody's stuff in AEW has brought something different to Dynamite, but sometimes that has been to the detriment of the show and people have definitely coined the term "Codyverse" to describe it. I maintain that he was captivating on his best day, and the feud with Jericho really felt like it gave those early episodes of Dynamite a lot of juice.

The flipside to that is that now he gets to be embraced by that hardcore WWE audience who will take this as a punch to the gut for AEW. I imagine he'll get a high profile WrestleMania match against the likes of Seth Rollins, but he's not going to be in the Lesnar or Reigns bracket, despite everything he's accomplished since leaving the company.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I ain't getting worked into a shooter brother. Him and his wife seem way too involved with the company and the TNT/TBS network to just throw it all away for a 15 minute run in the E.

At most, if real, i can see them building something around their TV stuff.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't liked much of Cody's AEW run (I honestly liked his WWE stuff a lot more) but this would still be pretty insane.

So many folks think its a work so its probably real
If this is a work (in that he already has signed a deal to stay), than fuck this company forever. This is peak Vince Russo stupid bullshit. You don't have the official company account tweet out a thank you from the owner of the company if it's a work. Its not great, but i'm fine with it, if Cody legitimatly hasn't re-signed, but he re-signs at some point later this year and this becomes an angle.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
If this is a work (in that he already has signed a deal to stay), than fuck this company forever. This is peak Vince Russo stupid bullshit. You don't have the official company account tweet out a thank you from the owner of the company if it's a work. Its not great, but i'm fine with it, if Cody legitimatly hasn't re-signed, but he re-signs at some point later this year and this becomes an angle.

I agree it'd be really stupid if it was a work. You'd -never- be able to wish anyone well on their way out ever again because nobody would believe they were leaving

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure WWE will definitely treat him well and make him look strong and not use the intense pettiness of wwe and make one of the original bigger AEW stars look like shit and job him out a bunch after a few months acting like they're pushing him etc. I honestly hope it goes well for him if he goes back but considering how wwe treats a lot of its current talent, how it has treated talent that was a bigger deal elsewhere for competition of wwe and how it's treated him in the past I wouldn't be surprised if he gets paid and leaves again on fairly bad terms in a few years.

I thought there were rumours he wanted to do more roles on tv shows and host tv shows etc a while back, so he may just take a break from full time wrestling for a while if he wants to do that.
I really hope Cody is getting a guaranteed multi-million dollar contract over several years, otherwise, yeah-- I wouldn't trust Vince.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
To his credit, for better or usally worse, the Codester has made himself one of the more talked about wrasslers in recent years.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
"Cody might go to WWE, might leave AEW, who knows" -> I go and do some light work and take a phone call -> "Cody has left AEW"

News cycle is moving at a clip today. Jesus

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I remember he had a match with my friend's ex a few years ago in an indie league or federation or whatever. I even got to see him back stage. I'm an introvert, so I didn't actually say anything, but he seemed like a nice dude. He ended up coming back with his wife, Brandi, who also seemed nice. Fun fact: when he and his wife were back stage, she was standing so close to me that I wouldn't have been able to stretch my arms out in front of me without touching her.