• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your primary programming language?

• C

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • C++

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • C#

Votes: 107 20.2%
  • Python

Votes: 115 21.7%
  • Java

Votes: 72 13.6%
  • Javascript/Typescrip

Votes: 92 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 70 13.2%

• Total voters

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017
Work is largely Elixir, which has been fantastic for writing fault tolerant servers that need a lot of concurrency.

Home/hobby is a mix of:
C# (don't love, but for Unity, so not much of a choice)
Python (don't love, but great for data things like jupyter notebooks + Pandas + PyTorch)
Rust (love, using this for WebAssembly projects)
TypeScript (meh, but not a lot of good choices for things in the browser that WebAssembly isn't good at, hoping ReasonML picks up some momentum and I can switch to that, but that's too niche for the time being)

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Before I got furloughed I was getting into Python at work and really digging it and was hoping to keep working with it. But since covid I've been working on a SPA React side project so I'm back in JavaScript land. I need to make a web scrape app soon so I think I'll do that in Python to stay fresh

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Computational Chemist... wouldn't say I'm a real coder, but I've been using/learning:
- Python (research)
- Perl (research, older scripts. I seriously prefer this over Python tbh, too bad it's a dying language)
- C++ (For a class, writing our own simulation programs)
- Bash (command line stuff)
- Wolfram Language (for mathematica)
... concurrently during the past 4-ish months (learning the top 3 for the first time). But from the fact that our lab uses python for data analysis, I'll probably be switching completely over to Python real soon since I'm done with the class that needs C++. Obviously some bash on the side for command line stuff.

Last edited:

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not very good at it, but I'm learning Python and using it for some practical applications at work.

Jan 29, 2018
Mostly C# but I'm starting to need to learn Angular and I'm far enough into my career that I've forgotten how to learn.

JoseJX

Oct 26, 2017
C and VHDL are my primary languages at work, with a bunch of Python and Matlab thrown in there as well. I have been playing with Lua at home as well.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much use python for everything in my day to day. Automation, building tools, and load testing.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a salesforce dev, so mostly Salesforce Apex, which is basically like a Salesforce flavored Java.

Increasingly using JavaScript in addition to Apex, as Lightning Web Components become a larger part of our Salesforce development.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mainly C#, and my work is currently transitioning from old DotNet to DotNet Core.

I also do some React JS as well, but way less than my day to day C#.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of my time at work is spent with PHP, followed by MySQL and JavaScript, though I do also help with Java and C# from time to time.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Primarily Java for work, with some occasional front end work in js. I've worked with python, and C++ in the past.

Right now, I've mostly been trying to learn some Go, and having fun with that.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
C# here . I was doing React Js partially until my new company where I'm a full backend dev nowadays . Net Core is awesome though and such a breath air from .Net

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
JavaScript/TypeScript/Node.js with React/GraphQL at work.

Learning Rust in my free time for a project I am making and loving it. Lots to learn and at this point in time I spend most if not all my free time learning Rust and programming in it. I haven't played a game in weeks because of it, hell I am not caught up on TV shows like Westworld because of it.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be the only person here to say this, ColdFusion.

I do have JavaScript sprinkled on top for some things, but yeah, the work website is built in CF.

Oct 27, 2017
Work in Data Science; primarily use Python and SQL for now (and occasionally VBA as other teams use Excel heavily) but currently learning Apex as my employer's recently migrated their loyalty system to Salesforce. Want to start learning Java and a bit of front end development also.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Supporting my girlfriend this year so all my projects are in Python. She's a librarian/statistician.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
It fluctuates, but right now it's C# as my projects are back-end web focused. A lot of it is boring Web API DB query stuff that involves relatively very little thought, like:
1) Front-end code makes request to URL that is a route I defined.
2) I put whatever pieces of data from the client into parameters.
3) Execute query (plain text, stored procedure, whatever).
4) Return result DataTable in JSON.
BORING! But it has to be done.

Probably the most fun I've had so far at my current job (which is still fairly new to me) is writing common/shared code. Writing APIs and the private methods that do all the heavy lifting is cool to me. I enjoy the challenge in the design. I like being able to offer up solutions that are basically no-brainer options for the other devs, while making the API still be flexible for more advanced stuff. The latest thing I worked on was dynamic PDF generation with quick/clean options to just make a PDF out of some HTML, to options where you can embed images, fonts, etc. The base behavior could be modified/changed if needed, too.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I work with PDEs/mathematical modeling of physical systems, so it is mostly C++ for implementing numerical methods and integrate equations.

Also, some Python, Matlab and Julia for data analysis, scientific visualization etc.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Atm typescript because I'm mostly building serverless micro services and JS is really good at data manipulation with very little code.

With that said, in my head I'm still an old C++ man and is the language I'm most comfortable with.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Been seriously learning Go since the start of the quarantine. I like the idea of everything being a type and it's simplicity. It looks like it's going to stick around as well (unlike Other languages Google has supported.). Haven't thought of anything exciting to do with it though outside of my normal exercises.

Primarily Java for work, with some occasional front end work in js. I've worked with python, and C++ in the past.

Right now, I've mostly been trying to learn some Go, and having fun with that.

That's dope. Go technically isn't OO but the way it applies methods sure as hell looks like it.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I use Python and JavaScript for my personal projects, really easy to spin up small apps.

Just got hired for my first software engineering role and it looks like I'll have to brush up on Java and C.

I want to learn Haskell though.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Still plain ol C; I do embedded programming for my job. The only other languages I've looked at in the past year are C++, Perl, and Python.

Oh, I guess I did write a simple plug-in for Paint.NET in C# too.

Oct 25, 2017
The language I know the best is probably C++, which is funny since I haven't really used it since C++11/14 was happening. I just know a lot of weird stuff about C++, template meta-programming, and sort of 'dark corners' to give me a kind of confidence there that I've never had in other languages. At work I use PHP, hilariously, but I don't really consider my knowledge there to be anything special. I'm on my 2nd look/appreciation of Rust, a language that I have mixed feelings about both in the very positive and somewhat negative realms. The last thing I looked at for fun was SPA stuff through the lens of Node.js and React which, while fun enough, felt kinda one-note. I pushed out a toy application to GCP using a Mern stack and patted myself on the back twice!

I'm really looking forward to the Jai programming language, for people who know what that is, right on!

Last edited:

Aug 1, 2018
I use Python and JavaScript for my personal projects, really easy to spin up small apps.

Just got hired for my first software engineering role and it looks like I'll have to brush up on Java and C.

I want to learn Haskell though.

If you start going down the rabbit hole of functional programming, I think you'll especially grow to loath Java, haha.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
R for work, Python for fun. I want to die every day I use R. I used it in school and liked it, but now I've seen how shit it is at making applications (ex. Shiny webapps). Nothing in R is as supported or documented as it is in Python.

Oct 30, 2017
I mostly learned JavaScript in school and used that for my personal projects, and at work we use .NET/C# and Vue.js.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Happy to be back doing C++ mostly. Most of my career, game dev, has been C++ with C# for tools/services and some Python for pipelines. Had a brief foray into the Javacript world recently doing Typescript for a microservice game framework. Appreciate that I am back to "lower level" languages :)

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I still use C++ more than anything else, both in my job and my hobby projects, but I like C# for applications and Python for command line tools.

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
We use it for a lot of our internal tooling. I haven't looked much at it yet but there's a kind of cult following in our engineering team.
Once you drink the koolaide it makes a lot of sense. Coming from a high level language like JS it has been hard to relearn things around memory management that really doesn't exist in JS, at least not generally. I used to hate strict type systems, but I've come to really enjoy them especially when it comes to the editing experience. Rust's compiler is fantastic and makes writing Rust code so much better, it actually gives you hints and points out why there are issues and where those issues are. I hope other languages learn from that and make the editing experience that much better.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Python because i just started learning this year and everyone said to start with it

Oct 25, 2017
Once you drink the koolaide it makes a lot of sense. Coming from a high level language like JS it has been hard to relearn things around memory management that really doesn't exist in JS, at least not generally. I used to hate strict type systems, but I've come to really enjoy them especially when it comes to the editing experience. Rust's compiler is fantastic and makes writing Rust code so much better, it actually gives you hints and points out why there are issues and where those issues are. I hope other languages learn from that and make the editing experience that much better.

Probably my favorite thing about Rust is the compiler, and the error messages it gives. The joke is that if your program compiles in Rust then, barring any logical errors, it probably works. Success may be inversely proportional to how many times you invoke the use of 'unsafe', but so far for my adventures in the language the adage has proven true.

I think Rust purely as a programming language and in terms of its feature set proves that compiled languages and their tooling can just be so much fucking better than C++ is it's not even funny. Compiled programs can be scripty (honestly, C++11/14 by themselves proved this), but it can also be a distinctly 'high level' experience through the lens of zero-cost abstractions and careful considering of design. Like almost anyone who comes from 'other' compiled languages, I've mixed feelings about Rust's take on memory management, ownership / lifetime, etc (there is something slightly backwards about making a language like Rust that operates at such a high level but is designed for programmers who know what they're doing!). "Fighting" the borrow-checker may be a meme at this point, but it is an important thing to pay attention to for this next point I'll make.

I think Rust is the first language I've used that is almost adamant that you understand 'other' programming languages *first*. It's like, a 'sequel' to a compiled language; you need to understand all the problems it is trying to solve on a relatively deep level (The list goes on, but memory leaks, double frees, seg faults / clobbered pointers, invalidated memory due to moves, ownership issues, lifetime issues, concurrency issues...) to actually understand *why* it's built the way it is. It is for this reason that I think Rust will have a fairly hard time in gaining traction widely; I don't know if it can reasonably be a 'first language' for people. Something as simple as its borrowing rule regarding mutability is understood through the lens of people who have been programming for a while and know why that exists.

All that being said, the old meme or whatever of compiled languages being old smelly socks that don't allow you to write high level elegant *and* performant code simultaneously is poppycock, and Cargo is as close as a compiled language has ever seen to an NPM like tool. Rust is, so far, a huge collection of evidences that things can be better, and that's true whichever side you fall on as regards Rust's opinions.