• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your primary programming language?

• C

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • C++

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • C#

Votes: 107 20.2%
  • Python

Votes: 115 21.7%
  • Java

Votes: 72 13.6%
  • Javascript/Typescrip

Votes: 92 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 70 13.2%

• Total voters

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok Era Coders. Time to vote for your primary language you code in. I know many of us code in all sorts of languages both for work and for fun. What's your primary language currently?

*Keep in mind I only get 7 poll slots so I can't post everything.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Still C but I've been dabbling into C++20 and treating it as a "better C" (sacrilege!). I'm enjoying it so far.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Still C but I've been dabbling into C++20 and treating it as a "better C" (sacrilege!). I'm enjoying it so far.

In what scenario do you have a choice between C and C++, but choose to use C?

I would think that use of C is generally something that is enforced by the toolchain / platform.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Java cause of work. Well, work also includes some Javascript from time to time too. Python at home but I'm dabbling with that to learn but keep losing motivation to improve as a developer and can't seem to break out of the rut.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
In what scenario do you have a choice between C and C++, but choose to use C?

I would think that use of C is generally something that is enforced by the toolchain / platform.
Oh, I'm not programming professionally, C is just what I grew up with and what I'm most comfortable with. I'm not a fan of OOP and haven't been since I was forced to learn Java in college so for the large part I've avoided C++ and other OOP languages, but with the latest C++ standards I get the impression that OOP isn't being treated as the be-all, end-all solution to every problem anymore.

Right now I'm converting this old C codebase for a roguelike I was working on to C++ and seeing what happens.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Guess this is a good place to ask:

I have an Udemy course lined up for C++ atm but I also want to learn how to program for Raspberry Pi. To that end I learned that it would require me to learn Python. So I have found a YT tutorial series and have installed Spyder and Jupyter notebook (both under umbrella of Anaconda 3) and I also downloaded and installed PyCharm.

Given I have absolutely zero idea about both... I am wonder which one I ought to start with.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
JavaScript I guess. I don't really like it (I especially hate the NPM ecosystem) but I find myself forced to use it and I'm good at it so /shrug

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's increasingly .NET Core C#, which it absolutely should be, but it is not yet. We also do .NET Framework C# (honestly barely a difference for my purposes) and a whole slew of other languages for scripting and or legacy systems.

Once you move beyond beginner the language you use doesn't matter too much (just how annoyed you'll be on a daily basis). In an advanced college course we had 2 week assignments where we had to sufficiently learn a completely new (to us) programming language like Fortran or Python (new to me) sufficient to do some moderately complex task.

Some of the languages my employer uses I had zero exposure to, so learning the language is just part of the job / training.

Therefore, I think aspiring programmers / software engineers should try to learn a language that will be educational. So they should try something like C++ or Java. Once they know both of those start other things. I think learning Python is a better bet for children, kinda like learning Basic in the day. You'll miss too many disciplines.

fellsine

Apr 17, 2018
I do backend work. We're migrating to Kotlin (...), but previously we were mostly Python.

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a backend C# guy but we have a company wide initiative to overhaul the UI so I've been learning javascript all year. I don't get the hate, it's fine (but the unit tests can fuck off)

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I do a lot of Ruby at the moment but seem to juggle between Java, Python and Ruby.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I'm not programming professionally, C is just what I grew up with and what I'm most comfortable with. I'm not a fan of OOP and haven't been since I was forced to learn Java in college so for the large part I've avoided C++ and other OOP languages, but with the latest C++ standards I get the impression that OOP isn't being treated as the be-all, end-all solution to every problem anymore.

Right now I'm converting this old C codebase for a roguelike I was working on to C++ and seeing what happens.

I see. Since C++ is a superset of C for the most part, you may as well use C++.

Even if you don't like OOP, you may as well take advantage of the C++ STL. std::unique_ptr in particular was a godsend.

Guess this is a good place to ask:

I have an Udemy course lined up for C++ atm but I also want to learn how to program for Raspberry Pi. To that end I learned that it would require me to learn Python. So I have found a YT tutorial series and have installed Spyder and Jupyter notebook (both under umbrella of Anaconda 3) and I also downloaded and installed PyCharm.

Given I have absolutely zero idea about both... I am wonder which one I ought to start with.

It is much easier to get started with Python than C++. The tools are easier to use, the language is less verbose, and the learning curve is not as steep. Almost all universities have stopped using C++ as a beginner's language for this reason.

The one thing I will say in favor of learning with C++ is that I think it trains you to think more clearly and carefully about what you are doing and about how programs actually work. This can set you up well to learn other languages down the road.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I see. Since C++ is a superset of C for the most part, you may as well use C++.

Even if you don't like OOP, you may as well take advantage of the C++ STL. std::unique_ptr in particular was a godsend.

It is much easier to get started with Python than C++. The tools are easier to use, the language is less verbose, and the learning curve is not as steep. Almost all universities have stopped using C++ as a beginner's language for this reason.

The one thing I will say in favor of learning with C++ is that I think it trains you to think more clearly and carefully about what you are doing and about how programs actually work. This can set you up well to learn other languages down the road.

Response much appreciated. Python it is then to begin with. Danke.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm teaching myself Python since I could never grasp Java and C back in college, and I want to do something else within IT

Aug 1, 2018
At work, Python is the language that I use the most.

At home, my personal projects are mostly C# and F#.

Gila Moo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Currently teaching myself Lua, a lightweight easy to learn embedable scripting language.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Roughly...

85% JavaScript. 10% Ruby. 4% PHP. 1% whatever I need to figure out with some legacy system or something I don't usually work with (Java / Groovy, occassionally a C language, or something random ... xslt or whatever that's called, the transform templating language that looks like XML).

Mazz

Nov 11, 2017
Mainly Swift.
Ruby (and rails) for backend APIs.
Typescript with react for frontends.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
My background is in FPGA development, so VHDL and Verilog, though it's also a lot of TCL and using the toolsets. I also do SoC work (lots of Xilinx Zynq) so there it's C as required and C++ for applications. I'm told my C++ looks like C with STL.

I have no idea and very little interest in web stuff. I've occasionally made little embedded apps that run HTTP servers but these are always just over LANs. When web people use the term REST/POST I really don't know what they're talking about.

Python is as high level as I'll get and I don't even like that.

Edit: I'm also arrogant and don't consider myself a "coder". I got my EE degree and am an engineer. I consider those who have Comp Sci degrees to have engineering degrees. Hot take, I don't think those that have IT degrees have engineering degrees. Admittedly, this is when I'm embracing my ego, which is when I'm at my worst and most being an asshole.

Last edited:

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I primarily learned Java in schoo, but I work with UE4 at work, so C++ for me.
I kinda wish I knew more about the non-C-family languages. Would love to learn Lua, because a lot of game-related stuff seems to use it.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I teach a course using C++, so voted that. For my own projects, I'm probably using C# or Javascript though.

SrirachaX

Apr 12, 2019
I use Groovy at work, so I voted Java since Groovy is interoperable with Java and compiles to JVM bytecode. I've used JavaScript/TypeScript (Angular) for frontend at a previous job. I know C/C++/Python from college but haven't coded anything with them since then

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Mostly Python.

I'm learning Javascript for a uni project, hellish as it is.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not actually sure right now. I'm mostly python for my personal work, but was kotlin at my most recent job. New job is a mix of nodejs, kotlin, and some legacy python that's dying but I'm unclear which part I'll be working in most. Full stack life though.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
C#, but if I need a quick-and-dirty script I'll pull out Python

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly PowerShell these days although I'm not sure if it technically counts as a "programming" language. That being said, pretty much all of the 'It isn't' arguments apply to Python as well and Python is pretty uniformly accepted to be one.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I put Python as it's the only one I can even partially understand (outside of VBA).

Been taking online classes though and getting better this quarantine.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I primarily work with Java due to work. For non-work it's a mix of Python and Javascript.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
Almost entirely C# here, including recently migrating a TypeScript project to Mono WASM so that we can use C# in the browser environment too.

Anything I hack together in my own time is usually in C# too these days - it's quick to write for hobby projects, and now so widespread that a lot of open-source projects use it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Back in school and all of the data science classes use Python. Been using R and C in other classes though.