• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited. Race Driver: GRID and Grid 2 are amazing.

Autosport is fine, but the campaign structure sucks.

Feb 8, 2018
another fun thing about this announcement is nobody will have to wait long for gameplay. Shortly after E3 if not earlier.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
I'll just get this out of the way first.....

PLEASE HAVE VR SUPPORT!!!!!

Now.....with that out of the way, I'm down for a new Grid and will buy this asap. However, I really REALLY hope the handling is like Grid 2. Grid 2 is one of the greatest racing games of ALL time, and those of you who know me from Neogaf know I've been preaching the gospel on that game for YEARS! Such an underrated masterpiece that was raked over the coals by people whining that it didn't have a cockpit view. Well, I'm sure this one will have a cockpit view and if it also has VR support I'll blow the lid off Forza 7.

My body is ready!!!

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Enhanced Steam is confused.
5N5qXFW.png

Let's hope that score will remain true in mid-September.

Didn't like the weird handling in the first GRID. Don't recall if I played 2. My favorite in the series was TOCA Race Driver 3.
What's come to define the series throughout my experience with it is simcade handling verging towards sim, kind of PGR-ish on the scale, satisfying interactions with opponents, diverse grid of motorsports and dynamic AI. Think this is the first racing game series where I saw AI cars messing up.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, Codemaster does superb wheel support(wish Polyphony was even half as good). On the other hand, fuck splitting the player base with season pass crap.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they bring back the emphasis of the first one in having a team and specifically, an AI teammate driver. That was the most unique and fun part of that game.

Please don't bring back the piss filter though, that was horrible.

Also, how many people work at Codemasters? Their output of games is insane recently.

Oct 27, 2017
Codemasters has been making a series of questionable decisions for a while, particularly with their marketing. OnRush released with little to no marketing muscle behind it, in fact they withheld unedited gameplay merely three months before release. For a new IP. The sales for it say it all. Along with Onrush, they've been set on a reveal to release window that has been frankly too short and scheduling the release dates in less than optimum dates. I really don't think their games are large enough or established enough for them to carry their marketing by name alone, especially since full gameplay reveals are after a lull following reveal. Now there's today with the totally confusing announcement of a new game with the same name as one of their most successful games from 10 years ago which has recently been ported to the Switch, with very little in the trailer to help clarify any of it. Personally, too, it seems like they're now resorting to past ideas and IPs rather than attempting anything much different or innovating substantially.

For years I've never understood the stark divide between Grid 1 and 2, after my experience with Grid 1 I couldn't much stand the handling model, I found GRID 2 to be a game with a very strong first impression and a better experience overall and one that I at least wanted to finish. But even it wasn't all that great, becoming rather grating in later events and its handling model became all the more unpredictable at higher speeds.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I really liked the first few GRID's. Not sure why they're just straight up starting the name over again though.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this is a hard pass for me so far. Fair enough but it's just not my thing (mixing proper racing thoroughbreds with an arcade bias).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That whole "naming a thing the same name as the original thing even though it's a new thing" thing doesn't work when films do it and it doesn't work when a game does it either.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"unrivalled moment-to-moment racing, GRID returns with an all-new experience where every race is the chance to choose your own path, create your own story and conquer the world of motorsport."
Man it's like they just pull random words out of a magic rabbit hat filled with marketing taglines and phrasing.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really need to change the name to avoid confusion of a remaster or re-release.

I mean Grid isn't even that old, plus the mobile version was recently free and still in people's minds.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody have hands on impressions? There are gameplay videos out there but I don't see any actual write ups.

never played the original, i assume its somewhat arcadey? like gt/forza lite?
Is Grid arcadey, sim or hybrid like Driveclub and PGR Gotham?

Definitely leans more arcade over realism, but works really well IMO - the game is not at all trying to align itself with the likes of GT or Forza, much more along the lines of Driveclub if even a little more arcade handling. I'm actually playing it on Steam right now and really enjoying it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I was worried I'd smell toast after reading that headline. Loved the original (one of the few racing games I ever go into) so hopefully this is good.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Wow so this comes out in a week. Anybody with some knowledge on how it's shaping up? Really enjoyed GRID (2008) and all of CM's current output but seems like this one is being pushed out with zero marketing.

Oct 27, 2017
Codemasters have seemed totally inept at marketing their games this generation. Between sending out the new IP Onrush to die by only beginning marketing 6 months before release to revealing with this game the reboot of a franchise while the original game of the same name is re-releasing on the Switch, and several other oversights you can point to. They really haven't appeared to learn from these past mistakes at all.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Codemasters have seemed totally inept at marketing their games this generation. Between sending out the new IP Onrush to die by only beginning marketing 6 months before release to revealing with this game the reboot of a franchise while the original game of the same name is re-releasing on the Switch, and several other oversights you can point to. They really haven't appeared to learn from these past mistakes at all.

Wow, that actually seems like a lot these days.....especially for a non AAA game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They launched Onrush days before E3 even, lol.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Wow so this comes out in a week. Anybody with some knowledge on how it's shaping up? Really enjoyed GRID (2008) and all of CM's current output but seems like this one is being pushed out with zero marketing.

The "marketing" money is being spent sending big youtubers preview copies to promote the game. That's it really.

There's a lot of videos right now.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even realize this was first supposed to be out already, and now coming next week. But the footage has me hyped, it looks really good and fun. Loved the original. The presentation was ace and the gameplay was more towards arcade which compliments sim racers well.

There is a lot of career gameplay from full versions on YT. That Shirrako hack is playing it as well. Codemasters sucks at marketing nowadays.