• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Looking forward to it.

Just wanted to point out that, while the first game in the series is usually referred to as Grid, the official name is Race Driver: Grid, so this new GRID title does not share the same name. But it's definitely bound to cause some confusion.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
The original GRID is still installed on my PC I still play it time to time to me it has the best singleplayer career mode in any racing game of that kind. GRID 2 was so disappointing in that regard, whether this is a remake or reboot I'm super excited. Bring back to proper career mode and detailed damage model and it will be a dream come true for me.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Naming aside I'm genuinely excited for a new Grid under the one condition that it will be more like the first one, Grid 2 was just not fun.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent plenty of time with the original GRID, for some reason I ignored the others despite having 'em around in my backlog. If this game goes back to those roots, that's fine: the original was a very tight "in your face" style racer, where you truly felt the speed, the pressure, the adrenaline, something that few racers manage to give. Its dramatic approach made games like Forza or Gran Turismo feel like a sunday afternoon ride on mountain roads with the family. The development time seems pretty low all things considered, though we don't know which sub-team is working on it, so I'm not keeping my hopes up for a masterpiece. It could be neat, though, if they go back to what made GRID great. But the name sucks, the previous GRID wasn't that long ago to warrant a no subtitle reboot of sorts imho.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I predicted OnRush would fail on beta and people jumped to me on OT back in day. It was so confusing game with terrible graphics and gameplay.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Damn has it really been that long?! It doesn't feel like it!

I think it's because to me it feels like GRID2 came out not long ago, but even then I guess it was about 5-6 years?

Honestly, it feels like a real long time for me--but then, a whole bunch of my life kinda happened between then and now! Like, when I first played GRID, I'd never driven a car in real life; now I own one!

Anyways, I'm definitely up for a new career-driven racing game, if that's what this is gonna be. They're really simple, but I enjoy those basic, 'Start out as a rookie driver with a street car, then build from there' stories that old Codemasters racing games used to be structured around.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I <3 codemasters, I really do.

But after Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Grid and Grid 2 and hell even grid autosport, I'm not sure if newer graphics can bring me in.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
The first one was incredible for so many reasons and none of the others felt anywhere near as good. Grid 2 & autosport felt a little soulless to me.
First one had the most satisfying progression for me since the PS1 gran turismo games. If they nail the feel of the first but give it a proper next gen update, i'm in on day 5ish after reading reviews.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A Grid reboot huh.

I really liked Grid 2. I didn't care for Grid Autosport's focus on being a more realistic simulation. Found it to be extremely annoying and frustrating. Really hope this one goes back to being more arcade-like.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Grid Autosport is on sale on th Xbox and its back compat. Great game!

Also, a port should be coming out for the switch, which will make it the default best racing game on Nintendo's system.

I'm not a huge fan of Grid per se, Autosport is much more my jam, but Grid 2 was pretty good as an arcade racer. Hopefully the new one goes all the way arcadey or simmy, and not some weird middle of the road mix.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Grid 1 is still one of my favourite racing games ever. I didn't like 2 or Autosport as much.

I have high hopes for this.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
A Grid reboot huh.

I really liked Grid 2. I didn't care for Grid Autosport's focus on being a more realistic simulation. Found it to be extremely annoying and frustrating. Really hope this one goes back to being more arcade-like.
This a thousand times.

Edit: except for liking grid 2. Meh.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I predicted OnRush would fail on beta and people jumped to me on OT back in day. It was so confusing game with terrible graphics and gameplay.

The game didn't have "terrible graphics", nor "terrible gameplay". Reviews were pretty good: the game was a different way of doing car games, one with high levels of adrenaline and little focus on actual speed. It didn't take a genius, however, to see the game was going to flop hard regardless of reviews. I consider myself a fan of the game, and this is what I said long before we got any sales data:

Can't really compare those times to today. This isn't about dooming the racing genre or not. There have been multiple issues preventing OnRush a clean sweep (I know most of this is anecdotal, but nobody has data here, so...):

1) Little marketing presence. I follow multiple gaming websites, spend most of my free time gaming or with activities related to it, watch YouTube, etc.. My exposure to OnRush was very limited up until a few weeks ago. And I'm a fan of racers or other car games (TrackMania, destruction derby games), etc. who follows this kind of stuff religiously! I have multiple gamers where I work, we often discuss about upcoming games, etc.. They know about The Crew 2 coming out in a couple weeks, nobody's ever heard of OnRush though.

2) The beta felt very limiting. I spent quite some time on the beta, and even then I wasn't exactly convinced entirely. Yes, it's incredibly fun, but in every game mode the core gameplay never really changed. Add to this wonky collisions, some technical issues, and again very little awareness of the presence of the beta and bam.

3) The price. OnRush is a new, unproven IP with very little awareness. Asking people to "risk" a 70 Euros buy on a game that could be boring or dead in a week is a tough call. For comparison, one of the reasons Rocket League was a surprise hit is the fact it came for "free" with a lot of people's PS+ subscriptions, and even those who missed it could jump in with 20 bucks or less.

4) There's also the general perception. This looks like a "small" racing game (it's not an actual racer but that is besides the point), not comparable to Forza, Gran Turismo, etc. - and in a way it is, it's a game made in about 2 years after Evo's closure. And yet, the price it goes at is the exact same as those behemoths. There were many doubts when Overwatch launched a similar package full price on console: that one didn't have a proper single player either and it didn't quite feel as deep (on the surface) as many shooters out there. But that one shipped with more content, and most importantly, it was made by Blizzard after a lenghty marketing period. OnRush is made by a lesser known dev on a much smaller budget with barely any advertising, with reviews only hitting at launch. Maybe more people would have taken a risk at a budget price, or launching on a service like Game Pass.

I really enjoy what I played of the game so far between the beta and the full game. I am lucky enough not to have issues buying both this game and The Crew 2 later this month money-wise. But even then, I wasn't sure. Many things about this game scream 30-40 Euro game to a lot of people (like Garden Warfare, Hellblade, Ground Zeroes, TrackMania Turbo, etc.), and the fact nobody knows about it is not doing it any favors either. You know, there is a bit of thirst for arcade car games out there, but you still gotta advertise and price your game right. Releasing in June was probably a fine call, but this game is not in people's mind shares, and many of those who played it are having second thoughts about the 70 Euro asking price, knowing fully well this is literally the kind of game that WILL be half off in a few months. There is no doubt about it, basically. And it's a shame, because by the time people will find the right price, the online could be totally dead.

GRID could risk the same thing, actually: game announced with a CGI trailer only a couple months before release. Full-priced game for what is (presumably?) a low development time game which could potentially mean little content. With little marketing presence, a confusing naming and such, it definitely risks not doing too well, especially in September. OnRush's failure had little to do with its quality to be fair.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
A Grid reboot huh.

Get out, Mr "I don't know what the TOCA Race Driver games were".

Codemasters do proper racing better than the Arcady bollocks that was GRID 2.

This a thousand times.
You too.

Wanting a return to the worst of Codemasters racing history, heathens.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Get out, Mr "I don't know what the TOCA Race Driver" games were.

You too.

Lmao I didn't notice the "liked grid 2" part. I liked grid, found 2 disappointing, refunded autosport.

And I started with TOCA 3

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Get out, Mr "I don't know what the TOCA Race Driver" games were.

You too.

You're right, I don't know what the those games were.

And I don't care.

lol

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Get out, Mr "I don't know what the TOCA Race Driver games were".

You too.

Man, all TOCA and Race Driver games were arcadey as fuck. they were gamepad games.
Codemasters has always made simcades, their first proper sim was Dirt rally.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Man, all TOCA and Race Driver games were arcadey as fuck. they were gamepad games.
Codemasters has always made simcades, their first proper sim was Dirt rally.
Eh not really.

The wheel support for the Race Driver games was pretty great for the time. Yes it isn't an rFactor but what else is?

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Alarming how many people just came in to crap on this announcement or say things that show the really don't care about this. GRID 2 is the best of the series? Really?

Also GRID Autosport was good but a very barebones presentation. A new GRID should be amazing for those that like the Codemaster driving engines.

Awesome - GRID is great, I'm actually replaying on PC right now
This is one of those older PC games that I could never get working on a modern PC, like Crysis. So lucky dude.