• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
"A lot less grey than people realize"

*posts three screenshots that are 50-75% grey* lmao

I'd love CV to be remade, particularly since it would give RE2Remake's Claire another round of being awesome.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I feel like there's a difference between monsters appearing in a monster infested city and the events in the first fifteen minutes of a game contradicting its premise.

I think Alexia Ashford is more interesting than Wesker.

In theory, yes... but in practice, Alexia got blowed up in the game she appeared in and was never again mentioned, while Wesker got retconned into being the big bad puppetmaster all along. Like, they could've done something with Alexia besides have her rant, be sad about her dead brother, and get killed, but what we got out of her was just that and nothing more.

Wesker... I love him as a big dumb hammy mastermind he became, but really, him coming back was like if Paul Reiser showed up at the end of Alien Resurrection, revealing he had survived the events of Aliens and puppeteer the events of the franchise from that point on. An inconsequential traitor character who could've stayed dead got inexplicably resurrected with super Matrix powers.

Still, Wesker coming back with stupid Matrix powers essentially was the only important thing to come out of CV in terms of the main plot.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely support a remake of CV. It needs it a lot. There are a lot of small tweaks they could make to get improve it to make it stand up better with 1-3, and Claire is my favorite RE protagonist so that's another reason lol.

I honestly really don't want them to touch 4 at all. The HD remaster is good enough.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
They could make Steve less annoying and find a way to fix the problematic cross dressing stuff with Alfred.

Yes, he was annoying he kept fucking it up for both of them too, like when he crashes the digger into the gas-pipe because he was too busy staring at Claire's ass instead of watching where it was going.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I hope CV gets a whole story overhaul. I almost wish they do a full retcon/alternate timeline and eliminate or at least tone down superhuman wesker. It was cool when I was younger but now I see him as the catalyst for the later RE entries culminating in the bombast of RE6

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
In theory, yes... but in practice, Alexia got blowed up in the game she appeared in and was never again mentioned, while Wesker got retconned into being the big bad puppetmaster all along. Like, they could've done something with Alexia besides have her rant, be sad about her dead brother, and get killed, but what we got out of her was just that and nothing more.

Wesker... I love him as a big dumb hammy mastermind he became, but really, him coming back was like if Paul Reiser showed up at the end of Alien Resurrection, revealing he had survived the events of Aliens and puppeteer the events of the franchise from that point on. An inconsequential traitor character who could've stayed dead got inexplicably resurrected with super Matrix powers.

Still, Wesker coming back with stupid Matrix powers essentially was the only important thing to come out of CV in terms of the main plot.
It's been a while, but I seem to recall the in-game files about her being more interesting.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
CV is not a side story. It's directly followed up on in both Darkside Chronicles and RE5.

RE3 meanwhile has no true direct successor to its specific plotline. The remake might set something up on that end, but RE3 is definitely more of a footnote in the RE chronology than CV is.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
So much wrong in this OP, it's so much tiring saying the same thing after almost 20 year.
RE3 is RE3 and RECV is RECV it will never be anything else, and RE3 is a great follow up to RE2 and it was and always will be faithful to what made the RE formula so good.
And RE3R is not a good representative to the OG even if it was good in its own merits so I'm not even talking about it.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying it now. Just got to the Nosferatu boss. This game needs so much work. So, so much work.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, I never thought they would remake Nemesis...so I have more hope now for a CV Remake.

I'm with you OP.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I support a CV remake because it's the worst of the classics easily and I would like more Claire.

Saying CV is the real RE3 feels asinine though. I could say RE3 is the real RE2 because it picks up Jill's story from the first game. RE4 is the real RE3 because it continues Leon's story from RE2. You could say it but it's not really true

Jan 11, 2018
I don't even even know where to begin when replying to this OP, so I will just go with, ENOUGH with all the remakes. Make new games please.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who pretends that RE3's story is anything more than a footnote that could have been explained in a file tucked away in any subsequent games are lying to themselves.
What happened there is literally why Umbrella went down in the first place.
lol

If anything, CV sounds like something they would make a side book of.

Matrix Wesker being established, Chris getting smacked around by him being the reason for him roiding out years later, T-Veronica virus being one of the things from which RE6's was derived. Nothing else from that game is relevant in the grand scheme.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So much wrong in this OP, it's so much tiring saying the same thing after almost 20 year.
RE3 is RE3 and RECV is RECV it will never be anything else, and RE3 is a great follow up to RE2 and it was and always will be faithful to what made the RE formula so good.
And RE3R is not a good representative to the OG even if it was good in its own merits so I'm not even talking about it.

It's funny that REmake 3 is much closer to what people think the original was. Thinking they have the same structure only shows how one can have a wrong view of the 1999 game.

Oct 27, 2017

Matrix Wesker being established, Chris getting smacked around by him being the reason for him roiding out years later, T-Veronica virus being one of the things from which RE6's was derived. Nothing else from that game is relevant in the grand scheme.
Exactly.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of actually getting a serious remake, I think CV deserves it more than any other RE game. I like the game, but it has a ton of flaws. Voice acting needs to be way better across the board. Fix the issue of having a run ender against Mr X on the plane. Fix the overall pacing and also add more content that helps flesh out more information about what is going on exactly. I don't mind that it's a long game, but it did feel a bit... padded maybe?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that REmake 3 is much closer to what people think the original was. Thinking they have the same structure only shows how one can have a wrong view of the 1999 game.
It couldn't have been more of a disappointment that REmake 3 ended up essentially being an also-ran next to REmake 2 after the original had more to distinguish it from its predecessor.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I support a CV remake because it's the worst of the classics easily and I would like more Claire.

Saying CV is the real RE3 feels asinine though. I could say RE3 is the real RE2 because it picks up Jill's story from the first game. RE4 is the real RE3 because it continues Leon's story from RE2. You could say it but it's not really true

I don't think Capcom is interested in remaking a game which was never as popular as other RE titles, but if they do, they better fix Claire in it. The fact she is completely sidelined in the second half is criminal.

Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. RE:CV is a really bad game. I don't really see why Capcom would work on a remake of CV when they can work on a remake of RE4.
Cause RE4 doesn't need a RE2/3 style remake.
Resident Evil 3 Remake was great and it still had some of that horror.
As for Code Veronica, can't we just get more of a remaster/prettied up version? Code Veronica X is a little dated, but its dated in the way RE1 for the Gamecube was dated. Just take it, improve the graphics a little like the re-release of RE1 on modern platforms was, and call it a day. Code Veronica X is fine the way it is.
I strongly disagree. I recently played Code Veronica X on Xbox One (via 360 BC) again, after not having played it for 20 years. I just couldn't get over the controls, I found it incredibly frustrating, even though I played through Resident Evil (remake HD) a few years ago and enjoyed it, I'd rather not play with tank controls anymore. RE:CV has so much potential to be an amazing experience on modern consoles. A simple graphics update won't cut it

CV is not a side story. It's directly followed up on in both Darkside Chronicles and RE5.

RE3 meanwhile has no true direct successor to its specific plotline. The remake might set something up on that end, but RE3 is definitely more of a footnote in the RE chronology than CV is.
RE:CV was the first RE game I ever played. At the time I was just excited for an entry in the series on a platform I owned (DC). But, having just played RE2 (remake), then wanting to jump into CV, I couldn't believe how smoothly 2 flowed into CV. I didn't have a connection of the characters when I first played CV, but now I do, and I'd love to see CV given a proper remake.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
It was the first point in the OP that gave me headache when he stated that RE3R followed the OG game roots, like WTF!!!!!!
RE3 isn't any different than 2 or even 1, heck if you are talking about how RE3 is more action-oriented (which sometimes some fans lead you to believe it's on par with 4,5 or 6) than RE2, the same applies with 2 and 1.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Why do you act like RE3 established the Raccoon City outbreak? Everyone who escaped knew about it. Kennedy became a government agent with knowledge on the matter. It was Wesker who brought down Umbrella. Who brought back Wesker?

"Nothing else is relevant except two of the most important characters in the entire series coming back" is one hell of a take

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's Matrix Wesker so it's not anime at all and he is the best villain in the series. You would prefer Soprano Sephiroth from RE0?

I'm not saying that it's bad, just saying that it's fragrant bullshit to be critical of anime like flash and pizzazz and then turn around and say this thing isn't like that because I happen to like it.

I don't get when OP is like return to Old school RE when we have Wesker and Alexia going lol "Virus mode, bitches" in this game instead of the usual fighting horrific monsters designed to be such.

Dec 15, 2017
2nd best RE after ReMake. Hopefully they only port it to the PC and other platforms. Don't touch the game, its perfect as it is, I don't want the third dumbed down OTS remake in a row.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 was a glorified expansion and is more overrated by its diehards than Dark Souls 2.

CV on the other hand features some of the best exploration, atmosphere, and puzzles in the series. And before REmake 2 on Hardcore, it was one of the last games in the series where resource management truly mattered, and was integral to players' success. It's also probably the most memorable RE story for me thanks to Wesker.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And Code Veronica was the closest to an RE3 it could have been considering it was always thought up as the proper continuation of the series while Nemesis was thought up as a spin-off game. CV is the sequel to RE2 through and through
You can keep saying it's the "true" Resident Evil 3, but it doesn't make it true.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
  • They can't remove spiders from a remake this time since it's a BOSS

Actually, they can. Or have you seen the Grave Digger boss in the Resident Evil 3 remake? Not saying that they would remove said boss. Just saying that they could, if remaking Code Veronica. By the way, said boss scared the shit out of me in CV, just like Black Tiger in the original Resident Evil (Remake).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you act like RE3 established the Raccoon City outbreak? Everyone who escaped knew about it. Kennedy became a government agent with knowledge on the matter. It was Wesker who brought down Umbrella. Who brought back Wesker?

"Nothing else is relevant except two of the most important characters in the entire series coming back" is one hell of a take
RE3 didn't establish the outbreak, but it certainly established the US government having to nuke the city to contain it and that becoming public knowledge rather than just a handful of people who actually escaped knowing what Umbrella did was far more damning, with RE4 playing scenes from RE3 over its intro explaining what happened to Umbrella. Wesker alone didn't bring down Umbrella, his testimony (which was a factor but not even mentioned in RE4) along with the company losing their court cases and their stocks crashing brought down Umbrella.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
CV has never been the "real" RE3

Just gotta accept RE3 was RE3 and CV was a backwards step to some real bad design. I love CV but it's also busted as all hell.

One and done. Where did the narrative come from that dismissed RE3 as a mainline entry,e and somehow elevated Veronica from trash-tier to real-deal status Man, I loathed that game. The pacing alone was a nightmare, and it all felt so divorced from the core RE storyline with no redeeming qualities to make up for it. (RE4 did, too, in an even bigger way, but made up for it in spades with superior gameplay and an insanely entertaining cast).

Nemesis and the Raccoon City setting have endured in gaming culture, too, for a very good reason. No one really gives a shit about Veronica's legacy, based on my anecdotal convos with gaming friends.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
One and done. Where did the narrative come from that dismissed RE3 as a mainline entry,e and somehow elevated Veronica from trash-tier to real-deal status Man, I loathed that game. The pacing alone was a nightmare, and it all felt so divorced from the core RE storyline with no redeeming qualities to make up for it. (RE4 did, too, in an even bigger way, but made up for it in spades with superior gameplay and an insanely entertaining cast).

Nemesis and the Raccoon City setting have endured in gaming culture, too, for a very good reason. No one really gives a shit about Veronica's legacy, based on my anecdotal convos with gaming friends.
Since the start and CV receiving rave reviews? Check the boards at that time, it's not a recent narrative.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Since the start and CV receiving rave reviews? Check the boards at that time, it's not a recent narrative.
Didn't RE3 review super-well back in '98, too? Good reviews for CV (however misguided, imo) doesn't in and of itself birth the narrative that "it's the real 3 and Nemesis was gaiden poo!" which I see a lot of more and more these days, probably emboldened by the Re3make this month.

All that really gives CV its power, from my POV, is the presence of big characters -- Claire, Chris, and Wesker. It could've been 4, I think, and RE4 could've easily been 5. It followed the RE formula. It just sucked. So I get annoyed when I see people bitch about how it deserved the number more than Nemesis, which arguably influenced the series more and has a longer-lasting legacy? IDK. That's my take.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
They should make it exactly how it originally was so people can be reminded what happens when you make a classic-styled RE game 14 hours long with the same level of resource management as a 4 hour one.

Hope you saved ammo for that fucking plane tyrant, asshole.

Oct 25, 2017

There's a reason why people want a remake of Outbreak File 1 and 2. It's setting, and characters, and the event. Best parts.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

It's not a recent narrative as at the time of release CV on the surface appeared to be pushing forward while RE3 wasn't seen as that important. Imo this was because CV was releasing on the shiny new Dreamcast while the PS1 was aging. Both games got good reviews at their time of release, but the things CV did hasn't aged well at all while RE3 has aged like fine wine. It has a better legacy and is remembered more fondly than CV in my experience with the fandom

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a hidden 'action horror vs survival horror' thread? Sounds like RE3 doesn't deserve its title because it's more action oriented or something.
A pc port of the ps4 version is more than enough for me.
But sure,why not? As long as it's not a short game like 7,2 and 3.
Give me a 15hs single player game worth paying full price for once.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why people want a remake of Outbreak File 1 and 2. It's setting, and characters, and the event. Best parts.

Word. Would be amazing! Loved Outbreak, warts and all.

It's not a recent narrative as at the time of release CV on the surface appeared to be pushing forward while RE3 wasn't seen as that important. Imo this was because CV was releasing on the shiny new Dreamcast while the PS1 was aging. Both games got good reviews at their time of release, but the things CV did hasn't aged well at all while RE3 has aged like fine wine. It has a better legacy and is remembered more fondly than CV in my experience with the fandom

I don't remember the audience/journalists remarking that RE3 wasn't important, but I'll take your word for it. I suppose it might have temporarily felt 'old', with news of a Dreamcast release coming the next year (it was a launch DC title, right?), but as you noted, RE3 aged far better for a variety of reasons.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Code Veronica is up there with RE1 and RE2 for me. The focus on an immersive plot and puzzle solving was exactly what I wanted at the time and it delivered in spades. It has an identity all of its own.

I'd get it if they also remake CV as it's one of the classic games. No need to remake RE4 though, that's still very contemporary.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Word. Would be amazing! Loved Outbreak, warts and all.

I don't remember the audience/journalists remarking that RE3 wasn't important, but I'll take your word for it. I suppose it might have temporarily felt 'old', with news of a Dreamcast release coming the next year (it was a launch DC title, right?), but as you noted, RE3 aged far better for a variety of reasons.
Not that it wasn't important, but it felt like there was more hype for CV than 3 at the time for a bunch of different reasons

Not as important in comparison

Oct 30, 2017
I would be down if they remade it vs a remake, keep core concepts and rework.

that way still keep focus on new mainline and bro in more money still from not too much effort.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Gameplay preferences and overall game quality aside, I don't see how anyone who played the first two games could come out of RE3 thinking "yep, this totally isn't a side story."

RE1: Two characters in a brand new setting
RE2: Two characters in a brand new setting, directly continues the ending of RE1
CVX: Two characters in a brand new setting, directly continues the ending of RE2
RE3: One character in an expanded version of RE2's setting, doesn't continue the ending of RE2 (though I guess you could argue it's a direct follow-up to RE1)

One of these games is clearly not like the others. I'm not trying to "dishonour" RE3 by saying it's basically a side game, but it's largely inconsequential outside of Raccoon City getting wiped off the map. Most of the little things it brought to the table could easily have been inferred from playing RE2. Umbrella has connections in the government? Hardly a shocker when people like the police chief were already on their pay roll.

RE5 was the follow-up to CVX, so there's going to be a pretty substantial gap in the newly HDified story if Capcom pretends it doesn't exist.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
The destruction of Raccoon City and Jill's infection that went into the development of Uroborus could have been explained away in a file I read to today.
Chris and Claire escaping an island and Wesker returning after watching the Matrix was much more significant story beats however.

Feb 29, 2020
While I understand the hate about Steve, there must be a remake of code veronica, imo, it has better story continuation than RE4.
The events in europe are great and highly linked to the end of re2.
Also, Claire and Chris in the same game = profit.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What does that change about anything? Kamiya's RE3 became a different game altogether.

And RE1.5 became RE3.

CV isn't particularly ambitious considering how little it adds to the formula.

What "spirit"?

What "lineage"?

CV became RE3, a proper continuation of the storyline of 2

There's nothing about CV that makes it more RE3 than RE3. RE and CV both follow on from both 1 and 2, but 3 actually closes out the Raccoon City storyline while CV closes out Claire's story, and both games end on the exact same note ("let's get Umbrella").

Could you please explain this? I genuinely do not understand, maybe it's a language barrier for me? RE3 ('99) was RE4 ('05) which became DMC1 ('01)?

Kamiya was gonna direct RE3, but with the PS2 on the way, Capcom decided it wouldn't be done in time before the PS2 launched, and instead decided to move development to next gen. In order to fill the gap, Capcom decided to promote a side story game, variously codenamed RE1.5/1.9/2.1, originally featuring a new character, to a true sequel to RE1 and 2 starring Jill, and increased its budget. They gave it the RE3 title in order for titles of PS1 games would remain consistent. Kamiya's RE4 project on PS2 became radically different from what Resident Evil was, but instead of scrapping the project, they decided to make it its own IP, namely Devil May Cry.

Last edited: