• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 2 Remake was a great experience that I loved. Not everything was perfect (why expand the sewers of all locations???), but it felt like the proper return of the series that was introduced with RE7. The formula reinvented is just too good to pass up.

But, well, it seems like we are on track for RE2 Remake to become the only one of its kind. RE3, just like the original, stayed true to its action-packed roots, becoming the Hollywood Blockbuster it always was. It's not a bad thing, but it's a different thing. We have had more than a decade of action Resident Evil, and it's a shame that we have to go back to it so soon.

This is why Resident Evil has to turn its head towards what was often considered the real Resident Evil 3 at the time (and in everything but name). Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

Code Veronica has been recently more and more panned for feeling like an old-school game compared to RE3 that introduced the dodge mechanic, quick-turning and other quality of life changes. But in 2020, this is a strength, not a flaw. CV was the closest experience we had in line with the original RE2. It kept its emphasis on puzzles, backtracking, atmosphere and slow-paced adventure rather than action. If RE3 was the throughline that led to RE4. CV was the throughline that took from RE2. And it's true. Code Veronica was still a proper Resident Evil game that felt at odds with its action-leaning brethren. And its importance in the canon cannot be ignored. It moved the needle of the overall storyline and reintroduced several characters.

Now, I know it brought all the Matrix stuff and immortal Wesker, but it genuinely doesn't matter. The story going in a direction did not mean the formula of the game went the same way. It was still a proper survival horror through and through. Code Veronica's only negative legacy to the canon was that the story jumped the shark, not that it influenced later games to become Jason Bourne, which is the easiest thing they can fix in a remake in the first place! They are in full control of the continuity they want to display for future games (and Wesker is the best villain the series has ever had so you should be thankful anyway)

Things Code Veronica did right:
  • Stuck true to the roots of Resident Evil 2
  • Reintroduced Claire and Chris
  • Good variety of locations (Keep in mind RE0 just stuffed another mansion instead so CV was still high brow)
  • GREAT music
  • Lovely gothic horror atmosphere that made it different from the others (again, just look at what RE0 did next with its mindless rehashing of 1)
  • Good bosses that could been made even better (Imagine a remake of the Tyrant fight in the plane deck!)
  • Good enemy variety. The Bandersnatch can be made to become even better, we had classic enemies like the Hunter
  • They can't remove spiders from a remake this time since it's a BOSS
Screenshot_2020-04-08_Resident_Evil_-_Code_Veronica_X_Walkthrough_11_Antarctic_Facility_Pt_2.png

The environments are still super cool with that aesthetic. It was far less grey than people tries to make it look like nowadays

Screenshot_2020-04-07_1_Resident_Evil_Code_Veronica_X_HD_Remaster_Walkthrough_Longplay_Gameplay_No_C.png

Screenshot_2020-04-07_1_Resident_Evil_Code_Veronica_X_HD_Remaster_Walkthrough_Longplay_Gameplay_No_C.png

You went from Nazi Island to Antarctica and in-between you had to use a fucking submarine

Good variety of enemies too

Screenshot_2020-04-08_Enemies_Resident_Evil_Code_Veronica_Evil_Resource2.png

Also the music!!! What a great score it was. I remember how exhausting it was to go through the graveyard and prison at the beginning of the game, just to finally hear this soothing music to make me relax, with a tinge of dissonance to keep you on your toes

Also the tyrant boss theme was incredible too. So many good tracks to pull from

Honestly, there is so much more good to the game than bad. I'd say they only need better voice acting and make Steve more likeable and the experience itself would be far better. The potential to make it an incredible game is just there for everyone to see. I hope it happens one day.

Oct 25, 2017
CV has never been the "real" RE3

Just gotta accept RE3 was RE3 and CV was a backwards step to some real bad design. I love CV but it's also busted as all hell.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It was never the real RE3. The "real" RE3, so to speak, was Kamiya's RE4, which became DMC1.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Had very fun memories playing this on Dreamcast, I remember graphics being a "next-gen" leap for Resident Evil. Steve was always a ghoul in my eyes, haha.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
The only RE game I've never played. I have it, just never played it. So yes, please remake it next.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I feel like the only reason this title stood out at the time was because of its graphics. It's the worst classic RE game in a walk.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, so much potentital. Definitely the true RE 3.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
CV was never the real RE3.

And I strongly doubt Capcom will waste time with it when RE4 is just on the horizon. Hell, with RE3 that is a more successful game than CV they just barely got it done.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
The first RE to have realtime graphics and moving cameras. It was one of my favorite Dreamcast games, and still one of my favorite RE games, if not my favorite!

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It is the most deserving remaining RE title that hasn't been remade yet

Honestly, I appreciated it back on the Dreamcast at the time but I preferred 3

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
CV has never been the "real" RE3

Just gotta accept RE3 was RE3 and CV was a backwards step to some real bad design. I love CV but it's also busted as all hell.
It was never the real RE3. The "real" RE3, so to speak, was Kamiya's RE4, which became DMC1.
What does that change about anything? Kamiya's RE3 became a different game altogether. In ambition, spirit, and lineage, CV became RE3, a proper continuation of the storyline of 2.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The real RE3 exists and it's RE3. CVX was a major step backwards, but I agree it deserves to be remade because the game, and Claire deserves better

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Ehhh....I'm ready for RE8 personally. They finished up remaking the older PS1 games. Time to move on. I want new shit.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
It's the Resident Evil entry that has:

The worst side character in Steve Burnside.
The plot was so inconsequential that Capcom had to somehow link CVX with RE4 with a light gun spinoff game.
Some of the worst enemies in the series (Bandersnatch).
A god awful villain (Alfred).
Prison island setting is boring as fuck and you have to go through it twice.
The extinguisher bullshit.

So, hard pass for me.

Last edited:

Mighty_Bison

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see a remake of the game. I think it would benefit immensely from it. I hope they go in that direction instead of RE4.
While I recognise that it's a great game, it's just not what I'm interested in for the franchise.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I agree. Having played a nice chunk of CV recently, a RE2R-tier remake of the game would bring this game from good-but-not-that-memorable to something great and special.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

So, hard pass for me.

You know, they should remake CV and cut the bad parts. Which means it should be a CGI movie. Just to show Wesker is back really.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tbh I feel like the only reason this title stood out at the time was because of its graphics
The graphics were really impressive (especially in VGA) but I replayed the game around five years ago and still loved it despite it not having a visual wow factor anymore. I don't get why it has become so polarizing.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, hard pass for me.
Yup. RE:CV is a really bad game. I don't really see why Capcom would work on a remake of CV when they can work on a remake of RE4.

You know, they should remake CV and cut the bad parts. Which means it should be a CGI movie. Just to show Wesker is back really.

Yeah, i can't imagine how much stuff they'd have to rework, scenario and bestiary-wise.

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at thinking they cant remove spiders this time because it's a boss. Where's my fucking giant worm fight? They took out entire locations in the RE3 Remake. Do not be so naive to think anything is safe in a CV remake.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Amazing game. . .absolutely has the kind of gameplay I wish Resident Evil stayed true to and hope it gets the remake treatment. We know RER:4 is coming probably after RE:8, but it would be a damn shame to not give SOME kind of attention to Code Veronica.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree with most of your point, RE3 is RE3, no matter how 'real' you see it though. It became RE3 when it was published as RE3.

Though I agree that CV would've been a more proper sequel, and RE3 should've been the non-numbered entry. It was all about keeping the numbered entries for Sony in the end, from Capcom's POV.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Resident Evil 3 Remake was great and it still had some of that horror.
As for Code Veronica, can't we just get more of a remaster/prettied up version? Code Veronica X is a little dated, but its dated in the way RE1 for the Gamecube was dated. Just take it, improve the graphics a little like the re-release of RE1 on modern platforms was, and call it a day. Code Veronica X is fine the way it is.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
No game initially intended to be RE3 was ever released.

I enjoy playing Code Veronica, but it's one of the weaker classic games.
1. The story is somehow worse
2. The visuals are drab and uninteresting.
3. The music is honestly kind of weak.
2 & 3 together give it more of an action game vibe, because it struggles to establish a strong horror atmosphere.
4. The gameplay is a step back from 3 and feels sluggish in comparison with 2.

My favorite aspect of RECV is that it's actually so hard to keep track of what to do and where in the game that I still get a little lost when playing it.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I agree with OP. This was the true RE3.

RE Nemesis is just a glorified RE2 DLC, or a "Separate Ways" relaunch bonus content material.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
No game intended to be released as RE3 was ever released.
And Code Veronica was the closest to an RE3 it could have been considering it was always thought up as the proper continuation of the series while Nemesis was thought up as a spin-off game. CV is the sequel to RE2 through and through

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
And Code Veronica was the closest to an RE3 it could have been considering it was always thought up as the proper continuation of the series while Nemesis was thought up as a spin-off game. CV is the sequel to RE2 through and through

They were both considered by Capcom to be spin off games, what are you talking about? There is no reason why following up on Claire (and therefore Chris) is somehow inherently more relevant than following up on the zombie outbreak in Raccoon City.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
The title track is kind of fun and it has some memorable tracks, but I don't think any of its tracks are very good at setting up a horror atmosphere except for one of the tracks that plays in Antarctica.

Training Facility is fucking boss
Training Facility Mansion is epic
New-build mansion, same

That's just 3 off the top off my head, hell even the save-room music is up with there with RE3.

But that's music, each to his own but I felt RE:CV was one of the stronger soundtracks.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Plot-wise, CV was originally meant to be the third mainline entry in RE, hence people associating it with the number 3.

RE1 > RE2 > CV

RE3's plot was inconsequential until a very late change in its development that saw the numbered 3 added to it.

Confusing, I know.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
They should just move on to RE8 already and not waste their time with CV. RE4 is perfection so it doesn't need a remake.