• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you know Code Vein sold over a million copies?

• Yes

Votes: 136 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 234 63.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad for a souls like game at all. It tells a story that I found to be interesting and rather compelling by the end, the combat isn't amazing but serviceable for the most part and the blood code system really lets you experiment with builds, and overall it isn't a bad game and definitely not a bad souls like game.

It also has one of my favorite character creations in a game ever. I'm excited for a potential (and probably inevitable) sequel and to see how they can improve on it.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Played it and got the Platin Trophy some time ago. Gameplay loop could be better but the story catched me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might actually be my favorite game of the "souls" style. Got the Platinum for it earlier this year.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cool and solid game. Played through the whole game with girlfriend. She also really liked the game. We didn't play/bought the DLCs, though.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'm glad it did well, I remember people being worried it even come out after being delayed multiple times

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I actually surprisingly really enjoyed this game. It reminded me a lot of PS2-era JRPGs, plus the combat was loads of fun and character creator was fantastic. The female characters, however, are very unfortunately dressed, with boobs that jiggle in the wind, and I'm pretty sure there was only like one female character in the entire game -- who was one of the minor memory NPCs -- that wasn't sexualized in some fashion lmao. So in that regards it's shit, but at least none of the male characters were sleazes about any of them nor was their any sexist humor that I recall, and despite the designs I still ended up liking all of the female cast. If you can put up with that and enjoy anime af stories and aesthetics combined with souls-like combat, would recommend.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it but didn't play it yet. I will probably start it after i'm done with Nioh 2.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely solid Souls-like with a really great character creator and a surprisingly interesting world/story.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game was fun. Highly recommend getting a buddy to play with

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Zero surprise, it was all over the weebspace for a while.

I watched a video once and it seemed pretty vapid.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Only souls style game I've actually played that wasn't too hard and I was able to complete it so that's a win for me.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I admittedly didn't play a lot of it despite purchasing it. I feel bad. I got sidetracked by GodEater on Switch and had hoped that this would come to it eventually, but I'm glad because it had potential from what I played of it.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I thought the game was super fun. Aside from the 2nd and 3rd(4th? can't remember) boss, the game is probably the easiest soulsborne game I've played, but the character creator and some of the game mechanics are interesting. Hope they do a sequel and polish up a lot of the concepts they tried.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I barely saw people talking about this game and I just found out it sold over a million copies.

It has a small audience here due to negative criticisms about it's art style and character designs(someone probably already said the word waifu), but honestly looking past that it was a blast to play and has a great soundtrack. There are two badly designed areas(one of the two bad levels is kind of a mirror of the other) but overall it was a fun romp and didn't outstay it's welcome. The story was fun to follow as well. I'm curious about a potential sequel but I don't know where the story will go from how it ended.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah I knew it did when NB announced it forever ago. I was also surprised but that goes to show ya the cursed power that is anime (/s?)

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i thought it was alright, be down for a sequel with improved combat and way better level design

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I pegged it as a bomb after all the delays and how horrible I think the aesthetic is, but the lesson is... Never bet against anime.

maxresdefault.jpg

Considering the Venn diagram of people who like souls-likes and people who like anime is a circle, I'm not surprised.
I don't think this is true.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an A+ Souls clone. I didn't know about the sales and I don't care, but the game is just sublime.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely hated how the game introduced backstory for the characters. Basically forced walking sections while some voice lines play

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished it and didnt realize there was a twist. I will say the last 2 bosses are pretty b.s. But otherwise I enjoyed it a lot.

The twist is that
the game takes place in the world of God Eater. The "Horrors" are the Aragami, with two Dyaus Pita showing up in a cutscene after Mido takes down the wall temporarily.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Funny, I was just staring at Code Vein in Steam, tempted to buy. Then I saw this thread. I might bite.

And I liked part 2 until they forced parrying in boss fights, which would've been cool but the mechanic sucks.
I beat Surge 2 playing 100% dodge, never did a single parry. Never even attempted a parry in fact.

Also beat Delver on the first try, with a hammer.

I'm that guy though.

Anyway, Surge 2 is the best Souls counterpart by far, in my view.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good. Possibly good enough to be worth playing if you don't like anime. If you do like anime it's a no brainer.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty good. There was a lot of noise about it for a couple of weeks when it launched. I knew it sold well.

Avoid the DLC.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
It deserved it and probably a bit more. It sold itself as an anime Dark Souls and pulled off most of the things it sought to do. "What if Dark Souls but you create your anime avatar AND travel with a cool guy/girl?" and that's basically it. Not a great game by any means but it's good and I don't regret buying it at full price at all.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Funny, I was just staring at Code Vein in Steam, tempted to buy. Then I saw this thread. I might bite.

I beat Surge 2 playing 100% dodge, never did a single parry. Never even attempted a parry in fact.

Also beat Delver on the first try, with a hammer.

I'm that guy though.

Anyway, Surge 2 is the best Souls counterpart by far, in my view.
So, I bought Surge 2 day 1 and started it having a great time. Then I got to the big robot boss with the long legs, fairly early, that you're expected to parry to beat. I looked up a few walkthroughs that all say you are supposed to parry one of its moves to actually hit him. I tried like 30-40 times and dropped it. No doubt it's possible without it, but it soured me on the game. I'll give it another shot someday.

Still, I ended up liking Code Vein way more. Nobody can touch FROM on level design, but Code Vein comes closest. And it's actually beautiful too.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played it. Ultimately enjoyed it, though the Season Pass is a huge ripoff. It's what you'd expect from the people who made God Eater. It's an adequate game that's just a more jank version of a better franchise, that also has a shit ton of anime influences injected in. Like a LOT. Big titty barely clothed albino girls and everything.

Create a Character is great though, as long as you're trying to make a 14-25 year old pretty anime boy and girl and nothing else (no facial hair).

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
hard disagree. Loved my time with Code Vein, but best souls like is Nioh, then maybe Code Vein.

Ive tried to get into both surge 1 and 2, and something is just always really off, i cant describe it.

Ive got the platinum in pretty much every souls like, except for the surges. I want to like them :(

Surge is deeper than NIOH and other souls games. The first game has good lore, better combat, revolutionary limb cutting system. I found Surge series better compared to other souls games. Code Vein levels were plain boring hated every part of it. The same goes for NIOH. But surge keeps the souls formula intact. Its levels are interconnected.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I wasn't interested in the game but I'm glad that it was successful enough and that the people who did played it like it.

People were talking some MAD SHIT about Code Vein before it came out, and now I'm seeing the same MAD SHIT being thrown at Godfall.

Never bet against Anime.

Garo-Honoo-no-Kokuin-wallpaper-700x472.jpg