• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok what is "weapon drain rating up"? It says it increases the drain rating of weapon attacks? But what is "drain"?

Edit: oh wait I forgot the blood veil counts as a " weapon". I'm guessing the drain rating affects the drain attacks you use with the blood veil.
Pretty sure it's your "mana regen" rate on attacks

1 gift from SpectrumWarrior

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from SpectrumWarrior SpectrumWarrior!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

SpectrumWarrior said:
hp7MI96.jpg

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: CODE VEIN - Accessory: Gold Purifier Mask - Won by Kudo Kudo (8 entries)

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
So um...pretty close to being done with my first NG+ and um... I just realized... there are these items called Regen Extension Factor and Regen Activation Factor... I just thought the healing items in this game were intentionally really weak...

Hey guys, what do you think of my new character?

http:///X3Hd.png
Looks great! I really like casual looks.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Luckily, I've backed up my endgame saves. Reverted from NG+ enhanced to just NG+, man, the difference is day and night. Enemies still hit alright, but not 1-2 shot murder, and your powerful gifts actually does decent damage, it's definitely better to play this way. It encourages me to bring the weaker allies as companions.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I've heard a lot of praise towards Code Vein, but metacritic is a little bit low 71/100
I think some of the reviews were a bit too harsh, but I also wouldn't say any of the reviews were necessarily wrong by any means. Its also possible that some people might just not click with the game. I think when it comes to hard games, the more you don't gel with its tone the more your going to suffer pushing yourself through it. Code Vein has a very aggressive grungy art style that is probably a bit off putting to a lot of people. If your not a fan of the style then I can see how bringing yourself to beat the game can be a serious dilemma.

If you like the art, JRPGs and the Souls formula I think its a pretty good time. It's one of my favorite games this year.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I beat the game earlier, got the good ending and I'll go for the others next. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whenever I wasn't playing, I'd be thinking of the game, and that hasn't happened in a while.

It still lacked some polish, although I was expecting worse if I'm honest, so it managed to exceed expectations

Some complaints or thoughts off the top of my head:

- The music wasn't always appropriate, often absent when you'd want it, or forgettable when it was there

- It could have used a wider variety of weapons (fists / bracers especially) and a wider variety of skills (halberd's chariot rush, etc.) but the moveset variety within each category was fine. I still think they missed an opportunity for Nier:A-style weapon swaps and combos. It also felt as though combat was balanced to favour great swords and their ability to stagger; there wasn't much incentive to go for one-handed swords or bayonets - from my perspective when attempting a level 1 run, having low hp meant staggering was important so that I wouldn't get one- or two-shotted if an enemy tanked my attack. It obviously won't apply to everyone and it depends on your play style, but lighter / faster weapons often carried risks for me.

- Certain codes were quickly replaced by ones with better scaling, so you'd never bother with them once their gifts were mastered. By the end of the game, I was overwhelmed by how many gifts I'd unlocked and sorting through them became tedious - I wish I could have manually sorted them so that ones I used frequently were easier to locate - and there were quite a few that I'd have liked to use in conjunction with others. I went into NG+ during co-op a couple of times and it was intense, enemies were basically damage sponges, so it would have been nice to have an option to expand the passives, e.g. to allow up to 6 in subsequent playthroughs.

- The story wasn't bad and some of the memories / vestige sequences were surprisingly affecting as I've mentioned before, despite the somewhat repetitive "I thought ____ but in fact I was wrong / the opposite was true" outcomes, it still worked well enough to connect these characters to their human pasts and make me care a little more about some of them.

- The gameplay was great albeit still 'light' or 'floaty', but I stopped thinking about weapon attack feedback and my criticisms from the network test. It was fine. The blood code mechanic and switching on the fly was really refreshing and I didn't miss the traditional / Souls style of levelling up or committing to certain builds.

- Attack tracking could use some work, particularly when an enemy side-steps or gets knocked away from your incoming attack by a party member. I seemed to continue in a forward direction with subsequent button inputs instead of pivoting towards the enemy's direction. There's an option to auto-track, but it doesn't help in that situation.

- A few of the bosses were impressive and delivered a good challenge with a fair amount of variety amongst them, while most were fun to fight, but a couple (like Miku-chan) were anticlimactic after struggling through a tough area.

- Enemy variety wasn't nearly as bad as Nioh but you often encountered the same enemies from early areas with little change in appearance, they just take less damage / are generally much stronger / wield a different weapon. I know they're meant to be lost revenants and enemies unique to each area do exist, so regurgitating trash mobs isn't a major complaint.

- The depths were boring as heck, I thought they'd improve. I finished them all but they felt pointless and (depths semi-spoiler) aside from vestiges, where was the story connection? Davis hammers on about them but doesn't even say anything once you've cleared them. Also, I appreciated the gimmick for one of the boss battles but I wish I hadn't already seen it.

- In terms of level design, most of the areas were well laid out imo and quite fun to get through, and the environment variety was decent enough, although the game is full of reused assets in some areas which I'd just put down to lack of budget. I also enjoyed the panic of thinking "where the fuck is the next mistle, I'm low on regen and about to dieee" only for a shortcut to appear (leading you to the mistle you started at...). Pretty good.

- I'm definitely in the "Cathedral is great" camp

- Companions are a win, I thought they might become a hindrance but the devs did excellent job with the AI for the most part. Giving some of them unique plot / situation-dependent dialogue was also nice to see, and I would've liked more. I think it's a shame they speak so frequently when exploring as it puts players off from using them and I did encounter a few dialogue overlaps when my parter would apply a buff. They don't necessarily need an off switch (I know that's coming) but a "tone it down" option would be ideal.

- I really wish the game had been longer, but I can't wait for the DLC now

- Karen is best girl

Overall it's an 8/10 (at least). I thought the network test and demo undersold the game, frankly. I still think I got burnt on the collector's edition but I won't hold it against them, the game has been a lot of fun to play and I really hope there's a sequel.

Peradam

Jan 11, 2018
Putting this in a separate post

Holy shit was it tough

Atlas code with firm stand + goddess's smile passives were a fricking godsend, otherwise I'd have been there for days.

It's actually kind of broken because it essentially doubles your survivability if you're up against an enemy that can one-shot you, conserving your regen for (roughly) every other time you reach 1hp instead of every single time. You still need to avoid certain attacks, like the thorns of judgement, but otherwise you just need to keep an eye on the focus bar and be aware of when you need to heal.

But the final boss sucks, and for one reason only: it starts attacking too quickly

I had to stay around the entrance because I was too much of a coward to die anywhere else, in case I got killed on the way back to my haze if it were on the other side of the arena

The boss rekt me so hard though, I didn't think to use the atlas code until my 10th death or something

Last edited:

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I beat the game earlier, got the good ending and I'll go for the others next. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whenever I wasn't playing, I'd be thinking of the game, and that hasn't happened in a while.

It still lacked some polish, although I was expecting worse if I'm honest, so it managed to exceed expectations

Some complaints or thoughts off the top of my head:

- The music wasn't always appropriate, often absent when you'd want it, or forgettable when it was there

- It could have used a wider variety of weapons (fists / bracers especially) and a wider variety of skills (halberd's chariot rush, etc.) but the moveset variety within each category was fine. I still think they missed an opportunity for Nier:A-style weapon swaps and combos. It also felt as though combat was balanced to favour great swords and their ability to stagger; there wasn't much incentive to go for one-handed swords or bayonets - from my perspective when attempting a level 1 run, having low hp meant staggering was important so that I wouldn't get one- or two-shotted if an enemy tanked my attack. It obviously won't apply to everyone and it depends on your play style, but lighter / faster weapons often carried risks for me.

- Certain codes were quickly replaced by ones with better scaling, so you'd never bother with them once their gifts were mastered. By the end of the game, I was overwhelmed by how many gifts I'd unlocked and sorting through them became tedious - I wish I could have manually sorted them so that ones I used frequently were easier to locate - and there were quite a few that I'd have liked to use in conjunction with others. I went into NG+ during co-op a couple of times and it was intense, enemies were basically damage sponges, so it would have been nice to have an option to expand the passives, e.g. to allow up to 6 in subsequent playthroughs.

- The story wasn't bad and some of the memories / vestige sequences were surprisingly affecting as I've mentioned before, despite the somewhat repetitive "I thought ____ but in fact I was wrong / the opposite was true" outcomes, it still worked well enough to connect these characters to their human pasts and make me care a little more about some of them.

- The gameplay was great albeit still 'light' or 'floaty', but I stopped thinking about weapon attack feedback and my criticisms from the network test. It was fine. The blood code mechanic and switching on the fly was really refreshing and I didn't miss the traditional / Souls style of levelling up or committing to certain builds.

- Attack tracking could use some work, particularly when an enemy side-steps or gets knocked away from your incoming attack by a party member. I seemed to continue in a forward direction with subsequent button inputs instead of pivoting towards the enemy's direction. There's an option to auto-track, but it doesn't help in that situation.

- A few of the bosses were impressive and delivered a good challenge with a fair amount of variety amongst them, while most were fun to fight, but a couple (like Miku-chan) were anticlimactic after struggling through a tough area.

- Enemy variety wasn't nearly as bad as Nioh but you often encountered the same enemies from early areas with little change in appearance, they just take less damage / are generally much stronger / wield a different weapon. I know they're meant to be lost revenants and enemies unique to each area do exist, so regurgitating trash mobs isn't a major complaint.

- The depths were boring as heck, I thought they'd improve. I finished them all but they felt pointless and (depths semi-spoiler) aside from vestiges, where was the story connection? Davis hammers on about them but doesn't even say anything once you've cleared them. Also, I appreciated the gimmick for one of the boss battles but I wish I hadn't already seen it.

- In terms of level design, most of the areas were well laid out imo and quite fun to get through, and the environment variety was decent enough, although the game is full of reused assets in some areas which I'd just put down to lack of budget. I also enjoyed the panic of thinking "where the fuck is the next mistle, I'm low on regen and about to dieee" only for a shortcut to appear (leading you to the mistle you started at...). Pretty good.

- I'm definitely in the "Cathedral is great" camp

- Companions are a win, I thought they might become a hindrance but the devs did excellent job with the AI for the most part. Giving some of them unique plot / situation-dependent dialogue was also nice to see, and I would've liked more. I think it's a shame they speak so frequently when exploring as it puts players off from using them and I did encounter a few dialogue overlaps when my parter would apply a buff. They don't necessarily need an off switch (I know that's coming) but a "tone it down" option would be ideal.

- I really wish the game had been longer, but I can't wait for the DLC now

- Karen is best girl

Overall it's an 8/10 (at least). I thought the network test and demo undersold the game, frankly. I still think I got burnt on the collector's edition but I won't hold it against them, the game has been a lot of fun to play and I really hope there's a sequel.
Glad you liked it. You have a lot of good points too.

The part about certain gifts becoming obsolete is very true. I would have liked for them all to remain at least somewhat viable. I also would have liked if some of the later gifts didn't take so long to master. I'm down to like 4 gifts and its been an absolute pain with some of those last ones.

I think there was some story connection with the depths but I honestly cant remember it. I know Davis and the crew used to explore it but I forgot why. I liked fighting the bosses again, especially Cannoneer and the Blade Bearer, but these could have been a bit more exciting. I think I had more fun with them in the network tests.

I'm not sure if the enemy variety is actually better than Nioh. I'll have to double check on that. There were some pretty distinctive enemies for sure though.

Yeah the companions were great. The AI was very good within what I was expecting. They definitely let me down sometimes but those moments were more rare than common.

I'm also excited for dlc of course.

Karen is very, very good best girl pick. I'm too basic though, Io for me.

My personal pick for constructive criticism would be the stagger system. I never really liked the poise idea in souls games. I think Nioh does it great with having enemies always stagger when you hit them and larger enemies stagger when you get the stamina gauge down. There where a lot of times I took damage in Code Vein when I feel like I didn't deserve it, though I wouldn't say I ever died too much because of it. Of course, most of this comes from me always going for light equipment and weapons in these games so I'm a bit biased.

I would also like to be able to do a little more with the companions. Being able to give them simple orders and a couple unison attacks would be really cool.

Bless you, might post some pics of my chara donning the mask later!
Congrats Kudo. I'm expecting a no-damage, solo, Cannoneer and the Blade Bearer fight wearing the mask.

Nov 22, 2017
Any tips for the last boss ?
I didn't have any difficulty with the bosses the whole game but that guys is wrecking me..

Edit: Nevermind, just beat it with the help of a stranger which was good bait, thank you stranger !

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Any tips for the last boss ?
I didn't have any difficulty with the bosses the whole game but that guys is wrecking me..

When he jumps, if you are next to him don't move, he usually don't jump to the exactly same place, so most likely you will not be hit (it might happen, but is rare)
To avoid the electric thunders he fire in the second phase, just keep rolling in the wall, they cannot hit you there.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda getting tired of helping peopleget to the boss, only to be sent back before battle. If we could pick where we help that would be fixed. Unfortunately then there will be light areas where help won't be.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still having trouble figuring out the stat management in this game. I'm rocking a Zweihander I found very early, upgraded twice and it does a great job of hitting hard and staggering. I'm trying to find out the best blood code to equip it with, but getting mixed results. If I equip prometheus, it looks like almost every stat gets a decent boost, but I fat roll. If I equip fighter, the stats are lower almost all around, but I quick roll. Does anyone have any tips on what early game blood veil and code work best with the Zwei? I already managed to max out proficiency with the strength/dex up so I can use it across codes.

Also, what is the recommended level for each area? I keep being scared to level up any more than I am for fear that my gifts won't gain proficiency. I'm level 18 and just beat the
butterfly boss.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Are they God Arcs on her hands? I don't actually have the game yet but was just lurking cause I'm interested :P

It's a God Eater 3 character. Since they're the same dev they added some crossover stuff a while back. I was hoping to confuse some but the only one who did get confused is someone who hasn't played Code Vein lol.

I even cropped out the character and made the background look like the default CV creator background.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
It's a God Eater 3 character. Since they're the same dev they added some crossover stuff a while back. I was hoping to confuse some but the only one who did get confused is someone who hasn't played Code Vein lol.

I even cropped out the character and made the background look like the default CV creator background.

I recognise it because I played GE and GE2 quite a bit the God Arcs looks so silly it easily stands out and that character has two of the things. >.< I really dislike the God Arcs visually and it legit made me less interested in this game for a moment 😿

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it and got the neutral ending. Had to look up how to get the good ending and it actually makes sense so I'm not even mad.

I think it is a solid 7/10 with the main detriments being average/unspectacular level design and the tons of enemy reskins with same movesets.

I love the build variety possible and enjoyed the story overall. I'd be interested in a sequel.

Oct 26, 2017
Alright I just beat
Gilded Knight
and some of the cracks in the combat system are starting to be a bit more obvious now. The lack of invincibility frames when hit, and slow ass hit recovery means when you get hit you usually get hit by an entire combo without being able to react in a meaningful way.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Alright I just beat
Gilded Knight
and some of the cracks in the combat system are starting to be a bit more obvious now. The lack of invincibility frames when hit, and slow ass hit recovery means when you get hit you usually get hit by an entire combo without being able to react in a meaningful way.
That boss was pretty nuts for me in both of my playthroughs. The first phase was so easy that I could do it no damage but then the second phase was so hard that I had to go completely long ranged.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I just beat
Gilded Knight

Totally agree. It's clear to me that the game is balanced to be played with a partner.
I am almost at the end and that's a problem with several bosses.
Many of them have moves that stun-locks you, you cannot react in time and they follow up with combos that deal so much damage that you get killed in a couple of seconds. Some times it's even hard to find the right moment to heal.
Bosses aside, the game is quite easy even solo. I think I have rarely died outside of a boss fight.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Totally agree. It's clear to me that the game is balanced to be played with a partner.
I am almost at the end and that's a problem with several bosses.
Many of them have moves that stun-locks you, you cannot react in time and they follow up with combos that deal so much damage that you get killed in a couple of seconds. Some times it's even hard to find the right moment to heal.
Bosses aside, the game is quite easy even solo. I think I have rarely died outside of a boss fight.
"Time to heal", makes me think about Smough & Ornstein boss in CV, where is the time to heal???

I think the difficulty of the game truly comes only in NG+ enhanced, where you gotta fight like a damn dodge/parry master. Bosses can 2 shot you, Louis fot killed by Oliver, and bosses have ton of hp.

After I decided to reload and just go for NG+, the game becomes such a cakewalk. Endgame blood gifts were so powerful, I could 2 shot Oliver with it, whereas in "enhanced", Oliver took so many shoots before dying. Enhanced mode has difficulty spiked too high imo.

Peradam

Jan 11, 2018
Glad you liked it. You have a lot of good points too.

The part about certain gifts becoming obsolete is very true. I would have liked for them all to remain at least somewhat viable. I also would have liked if some of the later gifts didn't take so long to master. I'm down to like 4 gifts and its been an absolute pain with some of those last ones.

I think there was some story connection with the depths but I honestly cant remember it. I know Davis and the crew used to explore it but I forgot why. I liked fighting the bosses again, especially Cannoneer and the Blade Bearer, but these could have been a bit more exciting. I think I had more fun with them in the network tests.

I'm not sure if the enemy variety is actually better than Nioh. I'll have to double check on that. There were some pretty distinctive enemies for sure though.

Yeah the companions were great. The AI was very good within what I was expecting. They definitely let me down sometimes but those moments were more rare than common.

I'm also excited for dlc of course.

Karen is very, very good best girl pick. I'm too basic though, Io for me.

My personal pick for constructive criticism would be the stagger system. I never really liked the poise idea in souls games. I think Nioh does it great with having enemies always stagger when you hit them and larger enemies stagger when you get the stamina gauge down. There where a lot of times I took damage in Code Vein when I feel like I didn't deserve it, though I wouldn't say I ever died too much because of it. Of course, most of this comes from me always going for light equipment and weapons in these games so I'm a bit biased.

I would also like to be able to do a little more with the companions. Being able to give them simple orders and a couple unison attacks would be really cool.
Absolutely agree with those points, and introducing joint partner attacks would be great to have alongside the communal gifts.

Nioh had toughness that you could increase and the stagger mechanic felt fairer (from what I remember). Code Vein's at least a little better than Dark Souls II where enemies seemed to have infinite poise in subsequent NGs. I found staggering mostly a pain in the arse when you get greedy with 2-handed sword strikes and think "this next one's going to to stop him from attacking" but then it doesn't, and you die.

I've finished mastering gifts in this playthrough and it really did become a chore towards the end, even when relying on later depths invasions. Some of them require 15 Awake items to unlock and they don't drop frequently, so it's a grind either way. And there are so many focus-orientated gifts that I'd like to hide, and particularly drain-related ones that I felt would be useless as replacements for many others.

With the way people are talking about getting one and two-shotted, I feel like I've played enhanced mode already because that was exactly my experience, so if I do select enhanced mode (unlikely at the moment) I'll have to level up considerably. When the DLC is finally released, I'd prefer to check it out in standard difficulty first in case it's more difficult than the base game.

Also... Io is totally an acceptable alternative.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

lol, I was confused because of the outfit but I thought it might just be a mod for the PC version or something.

Reveirg

Nov 20, 2017
About to finally start this this weekend! A few questions to keep my expectations in check...

-How is the story? Are there a lot of cutscenes or it's more Dark Souls storytelling?
-How are the RPG elements? (Skill tree? Loot?)
-Is exploration fun? (Mission-based like Ni-Oh or more open world?)
-How long is the game? (Story content)

Thank you!

Last edited:

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
About to finally start this this weekend? A few questions to keep my expectations in check...

-How is the story? Are there a lot of cutscenes or it's more Dark Souls storytelling?
Story is very anime-esque in its characters and tropes. It's told through cutscenes akin to a typical jrpg

-How are the RPG elements? (Skill tree? Loot?)
I'm of the opinion that the RPG elements are the best thing about the game. There's blood codes which basically acts as a class system, and through these blood codes you gain access to different skills, buffs, etc. You can mix and match skills between classes once you unlock them which adds a nice layer of customization

-Is exploration fun? (Mission-based like Ni-Oh or more open world?)
Ehhh, it's more open world similar to DkS but the exploration/level design is one of the games weak points. It's not awful but a lot of the areas look and feel kinda samey. That being said, because you don't start an area with things mapped out right away, it can be fun just exploring and figuring out where stuff is.

-How long is the game? (Story content)
About 30-40 hours on average.
Thank you!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Finally had some time to continue this and finished Anime Anor Londo and the area right after it. Well, Anime Anor Londo was really confusing (and I simply cannot find the last point to complete the map to 100%) and quite big, but I do like its design. Maybe it did overstay its welcome at the end. But in a way I think it makes sense that it's build like the way it is. I was surpised by how short the area after it was. Are all the next areas as short? I would't mind, too be honest. Not because I want to rush through the game, but because I enjoy seeing the new areas.

Game's still great. Tons of fun. I care about those sad vampires and I can't wait to find out what's next.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
"Time to heal", makes me think about Smough & Ornstein boss in CV, where is the time to heal???

I think the difficulty of the game truly comes only in NG+ enhanced, where you gotta fight like a damn dodge/parry master. Bosses can 2 shot you, Louis fot killed by Oliver, and bosses have ton of hp.

After I decided to reload and just go for NG+, the game becomes such a cakewalk. Endgame blood gifts were so powerful, I could 2 shot Oliver with it, whereas in "enhanced", Oliver took so many shoots before dying. Enhanced mode has difficulty spiked too high imo.

Smough & Ornstein is one of my least favorite fights in all Souls game,
but at least they are not as aggressive as Cannoneer and the other one (whose name I don't remember)
With all the good things this game has, there are also some problems with some really terrible mechanics when it comes to the bosses.
I'm fighting the
Knight in the provisional government outskirts, and when it starts jumping in its last phase it's one of the most bullshit design choices for a boss I've ever seen.
I'd like to know who thought that was fun.
I've completed all Souls games and almost all Souls-like games around multiple times, and when I beat a boss I almost always thought I did because I got good at it. In this game, more than once I thought I defeated a boss just because I got lucky.
And it's a pity, because that aside, I'm really enjoying the game. So when I finish and go for NG+ I'm definitely not going enhanced...I'm too old for that shit...lol

EDIT: lol...defeated the boss 1 minute after I finished this post...

Last edited:

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Smough & Ornstein is one of my least favorite fights in all Souls game,
but at least they are not as aggressive as Cannoneer and the other one (whose name I don't remember)
With all the good things this game has, there are also some problems with some really terrible mechanics when it comes to the bosses.
I'm fighting the
Knight in the provisional government outskirts, and when it starts jumping in its last phase it's one of the most bullshit design choices for a boss I've ever seen.
I'd like to know who thought that was fun.
I've completed all Souls games and almost all Souls-like games around multiple times, and when I beat a boss I almost always thought I did because I got good at it. In this game, more than once I thought I defeated a boss just because I got lucky.
And it's a pity, because that aside, I'm really enjoying the game. So when I finish and go for NG+ I'm definitely not going enhanced...I'm too old for that shit...lol

EDIT: lol...defeated the boss 1 minute after I finished this post...
When I say Smough n Ornstein, I do mean the one in CV not in souls one. Which I think if faced solo, will give me almost no time to heal.

I think the worse mechanics are the camera and lock on features, its just shitty.

I do felt I beat the bosses by getting better though, just that difficulty spike is everywhere. Butterfly was very hard in the beginning.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
lol, I was confused because of the outfit but I thought it might just be a mod for the PC version or something.

I will say that I know there graphics for the models is improved in Code Vein and I do appreciate that you can "tweak" the outfits in the game.

But holy crap does God Eater 3 have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more outfit choices and even tons of variants of the existing outfits. If even half of them could be in Code Vein that would be a lot.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
So finally finished the game. Very enjoyable, although their level design could use some work. Anime Londo was the biggest offender, it was very hard for me to orient where I was in the stage because everything looked the same. Easily my least favorite part of the game.

Also, regarding a certain event and it's implications near the end:

So...does Code Vein take place in the same world as God Eater? The enemy Mido shows on the screen looked a lot like that beard monster in God Eater to the point that it doesn't seem to be just a coincidence. Have the devs ever confirmed it?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So finally finished the game. Very enjoyable, although their level design could use some work. Anime Londo was the biggest offender, it was very hard for me to orient where I was in the stage because everything looked the same. Easily my least favorite part of the game.

Also, regarding a certain event and it's implications near the end:

So...does Code Vein take place in the same world as God Eater? The enemy Mido shows on the screen looked a lot like that beard monster in God Eater to the point that it doesn't seem to be just a coincidence. Have the devs ever confirmed it?

They haven't done any interviews but yes, it's clear from the Aragami and more that Code Vein is in the same world.

We know that we're getting 3 Aragami bosses in the DLC.

Peradam

Jan 11, 2018
Has anyone found a good place to farm old-world materials?

I've tried the Town of Sacrifice depths invasion because it's close to the mistle, but I didn't get a single drop after 4 runs with revenant's greed equipped, just lots of weapons and ichor concentrate.

[edit - Never mind, it's probably the same drop rate everywhere in the depths and just the rng, but I'm having more luck with the Den of Darkness invasion. Also noticed that you get pure blood as a reward sometimes.]

Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and if it weren't for the Smough & Ornstein fight this would have been a complete solo playthrough, but that fight was way too tough. I soloed all Souls content, but I couldn't do that fight, shame. EIther way, this game was absolutely fantastic and it's probably my favourite game of the year ahead of Sekiro. It's a formidable Souls-like with fun and IMO very responsive combat (not sure where all those opinions on the contrary are coming from?) and a WIDE variety of environments, many of which are really well designed.

It took me about 35h I think, but the credits are still rolling so I don't know for certain. I think my biggest and actually only meaningful gripe with the game is the amount of story, which tends to kill the pace of the game. I've had stretches of 30-45 min filled with dialog and memory exposition which in my opinion is unacceptable for this sort of game.

edit: 34h

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
29 hrs and 41 min.

Just finished the game, freaking loved it.

Did not expect it to be this good.

The story, the characters, the music (dat Eva theme song!), the combat (classes and abilities), the partner system, the memory system, the map 100% system etc. were all fantastic.

Also it feels so good to have a competent AI partner, felt like playing the entire game co-op with a buddy I can trust. Yakumo was a true bro from start to finish, often times I felt like I was the one assisting him instead of the other way around lol. I would even act as bait dodging and guarding with my Zweihander while he would beast on enemies and bosses. Both of us swinging those big ass swords felt so brutal and satisfying.

Speaking of which, this is probably the first time I've enjoyed using a buster/great sword this much in a Souls-like. Slow but the damage is off the charts and there are lots of great abilities (active and passive) to make the weapon sing.

All my fave parts about the game are what it was doing of its own while the negatives are mostly associated with the Souls formula and my fatigue with it. For the sequel my biggest hope is that they do even more of their own thing and make the game a full on action/adventure game and leave the Souls schtick behind.

Oh and of special mention is the fact that they give you checkpoints in boss fights which have multiple phases. Thanks so damn much for not forcing us to play the fight from beginning every damn time ala Souls.

Overall the game was way, way better than I expected.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this game so far—probably 8 hours in. It's a nice contrast from the Surge 2 which I loved. This feels more like Dark Souls with the combat being a bit slower. The AI partner really adds a lot of depth to the gameplay and exploration.

Sep 22, 2019
What a dilemma... I prefer the Surge 2 combat, but everything else in Code Vein is better. Am I missing something with this combat? It feels like attacks don't link together very well and I have not found any use for using the strong attack button.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a dilemma... I prefer the Surge 2 combat, but everything else in Code Vein is better. Am I missing something with this combat? It feels like attacks don't link together very well and I have not found any use for using the strong attack button.

The strong attack can be charged for a powerful hit. Works especially great with abilities that power up your next hit (iirc the Berserker code has one that increases damage by 50%). Iirc two classes have this ability and they can be stacked on top of each other (this game is excellent at letting you stack buffs).

It also has a different attack animation. For example with the great sword light is an overhead smash and heavy is a horizontal sweep that works great against groups.

Also, if you hold R1 and then press light/heavy then you will get different attacks. With the great sword the light does a psuedo DMC-like stinger move that often knocks down even heavy enemies while the heavy attack hits upwards.

If you hit R1+heavy while your focus gauge is full then R1+heavy acts like a launcher (launches heavy enemies too) and when they are in the air you can juggle with a special veil attack.

Hitting R1+veil attack after a light or heavy attack will have you combo into the veil attack. Good way to charge MP while attacking.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoying this a lot. My Zweihander / Atlas strength build is spanking everything. Just finished
Insatiable Despot
and I felt sorry for the guy, lol. I haven't finished yet obviously, but I really love the anime / souls blend and hope for a sequel.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game! Surprisingly, I actually super loved this. It reminded me a lot of my fav actiony PS2 era JRPGs due to its art style, animations, and settings (flaws and all lol). The difficulty was perfect for me so it made the gameplay loop super addicting - challenging enough that I was never just mindlessly slashing through everything, but easy enough that I didn't have to constantly be tense and on edge and full focus all the time. I liked all the characters well enough and really enjoyed their memory/flashback system, as well. Louis was my favorite and so I spent majority of the game partnered with him (but good lord man please shut up already! Yes, yes, I know we work well together now you don't need to mention it every five seconds! 😂 ) And while the locations were lackluster, the exploration element made them still fun to go through.

As for some of its flaws...
I mentioned the settings being lackluster already, but they really were sorta awful. Very boring to look at, lacked proper variety, and despite all feeling so same-y none of it really felt properly connected; there was no real sense of scale or positioning between areas in relation to each other. (Mostly due to those very long, very ugly, and very obvious loading corridors. Wish they could have thought up a more creative way around that.)
And while I'm on that topic, good lord the loading times were soooo terrible. It was really obnoxious to deal with when all I wanted to do was swap a character or when I ran from one zone partially to another and then decided to back track only to get stuck behind a fog wall for like 30 seconds. Trying to location hop to check for new quest markers was also a gd nightmare. x__x
The combat was a lot of fun for me but some of the mechanics did feel a bit janky. Back attacks, for example, I could never for the life of me get down. They would just happen when they happened lol.
Also, the main villain's motives were super dumb and nonsensical imo, but, well, that's a jrpg for you. (I liked the story well enough besides that, though!)

The game's biggest, most egregious and obnoxious of faults, though? The utterly ridiculous levels of female sexualization. Like, holy shit, they literally could not help themselves could they. I think the only female character that wasn't sexualized in some way was the lady in full armor in Davis' memories. It's kinda insane that I loved this game, despite it being probably one of the worst offenders I've played in that regard. Maybe it's just because edgy gothic anime and big tits are so common place together that it didn't take me out of the moment as badly as it does for other stuff. Or maybe it's because I was too busy looking at all the (actually for once!) cute dudes so I was distracted just enough from it lol. Regardless, even if it didn't manage to ruin my experience this time, it really was completely ridiculous. The boobs didn't even look like real boobs, they were like weird overly perky balloons that bobbed in the wind just attached to all of these girls' chests (seriously, I thought I was gonna die whenever they jiggled because of the gd wind). And one of the late game female bosses had jiggle mechanics every time she jumped or slashed at you, and all i could think about the entire fight was how god damn painful that would be. Please, someone get these evil ladies a bra, oh my god (and some freakin' pants while we're at it).
It's a shame tbh cuz I actually really liked the personalities and characterizations of a lot of the gals, but it's hard for me to get properly attached when I'm so awfully distracted by their giant gd half-out honkers every time they're in frame and talking. SMH.
Phew, goodness, I really needed to get that rant out there lol. The biggest blemish on an otherwise serviceable to really enjoyable game.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm glad I decided to pick it up! Definitely gonna be one I go back to someday. And I look forward to any potential story DLC they might put out there for it in the future, too.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The game is a sleeper hit. More than 2 weeks later, it's still holding on in the Steam global top sellers, just below Destiny 2 which is super popular.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Just beat the game! Surprisingly, I actually super loved this. It reminded me a lot of my fav actiony PS2 era JRPGs due to its art style, animations, and settings (flaws and all lol). The difficulty was perfect for me so it made the gameplay loop super addicting - challenging enough that I was never just mindlessly slashing through everything, but easy enough that I didn't have to constantly be tense and on edge and full focus all the time. I liked all the characters well enough and really enjoyed their memory/flashback system, as well. Louis was my favorite and so I spent majority of the game partnered with him (but good lord man please shut up already! Yes, yes, I know we work well together now you don't need to mention it every five seconds! 😂 ) And while the locations were lackluster, the exploration element made them still fun to go through.

As for some of its flaws...
I mentioned the settings being lackluster already, but they really were sorta awful. Very boring to look at, lacked proper variety, and despite all feeling so same-y none of it really felt properly connected; there was no real sense of scale or positioning between areas in relation to each other. (Mostly due to those very long, very ugly, and very obvious loading corridors. Wish they could have thought up a more creative way around that.)
And while I'm on that topic, good lord the loading times were soooo terrible. It was really obnoxious to deal with when all I wanted to do was swap a character or when I ran from one zone partially to another and then decided to back track only to get stuck behind a fog wall for like 30 seconds. Trying to location hop to check for new quest markers was also a gd nightmare. x__x
The combat was a lot of fun for me but some of the mechanics did feel a bit janky. Back attacks, for example, I could never for the life of me get down. They would just happen when they happened lol.
Also, the main villain's motives were super dumb and nonsensical imo, but, well, that's a jrpg for you. (I liked the story well enough besides that, though!)

The game's biggest, most egregious and obnoxious of faults, though? The utterly ridiculous levels of female sexualization. Like, holy shit, they literally could not help themselves could they. I think the only female character that wasn't sexualized in some way was the lady in full armor in Davis' memories. It's kinda insane that I loved this game, despite it being probably one of the worst offenders I've played in that regard. Maybe it's just because edgy gothic anime and big tits are so common place together that it didn't take me out of the moment as badly as it does for other stuff. Or maybe it's because I was too busy looking at all the (actually for once!) cute dudes so I was distracted just enough from it lol. Regardless, even if it didn't manage to ruin my experience this time, it really was completely ridiculous. The boobs didn't even look like real boobs, they were like weird overly perky balloons that bobbed in the wind just attached to all of these girls' chests (seriously, I thought I was gonna die whenever they jiggled because of the gd wind). And one of the late game female bosses had jiggle mechanics every time she jumped or slashed at you, and all i could think about the entire fight was how god damn painful that would be. Please, someone get these evil ladies a bra, oh my god (and some freakin' pants while we're at it).
It's a shame tbh cuz I actually really liked the personalities and characterizations of a lot of the gals, but it's hard for me to get properly attached when I'm so awfully distracted by their giant gd half-out honkers every time they're in frame and talking. SMH.
Phew, goodness, I really needed to get that rant out there lol. The biggest blemish on an otherwise serviceable to really enjoyable game.

Anyway, all that aside, I'm glad I decided to pick it up! Definitely gonna be one I go back to someday. And I look forward to any potential story DLC they might put out there for it in the future, too.
In terms for sexualization, I'm actually pretty okay with most of it (except coco's stupid swaying breast), Io having big boobs seems ok etc, but the worst has got to be Eva.

Eva and Jack has the design of that evil duo, partnering up to create trouble. And Eva looks some lady enemy in those generic rpg that tries to tease you etc, but well... you know she is far from that. Her character just doesn't suit her costume at all! Eva's costume contrasts so greatly form her personality that I find it quite distracting.

I didn't have time to look at bosses' boobs tho, I am just focusing on smacking their booty whenever possible, especially Ornstein's booty.