• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Okay everyone, life or death question here...

Glasses or no glasses?

4RewyNd.png

8rwW13o.png

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
I am going all in on my Great Sword build and it's something of art. I just hope I can also make a Saya iirie Build (Great sword magic build) but it's looking iffy atm....

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Okay everyone, life or death question here...

Glasses or no glasses?

4RewyNd.png

8rwW13o.png
Chances are your already dead but I would say...
glasses

anyone else think Dunkey should play this? The plunging attack is actually good
I'd imagine he'd probably not like the game much.
I am going all in on my Great Sword build and it's something of art. I just hope I can also make a Saya iirie Build (Great sword magic build) but it's looking iffy atm....
Great swords have all the best gifts. I pretty much changed up my style every time I got a new blood code. I ending the game with a very light short sword build.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Would you guys say this is a good co-op game? Thinking about getting it for me and my girlfriend since we finished Borderlands!

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
So how do I get more medals? I beat the depths bosses once and I can't distress signal them anymore, leaving and coming back to reset the boss even.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
just tried the demo out on ps4. I think I like the game. It is def janky. The one thing that is absolutely bothering me right now is the counter mechanic. Holy shit is it inconsistent. I am pressing the button at the same time, everytime, but I am getting different results. I feel like that makes it useless since you dont know when it will work or not. Hard to tell where the active frames are. I just dodge now which sucks because I wanted to make good use of it. Funny enough, if I dont try to counter I can go through the entire demo without getting touched. Sad.

The ability to remap the controls is such a much needed feature for a souls-game. Glad it made it in.

EDIT: Also, why does the ranger have a "block" passive skill? LMAO did they think that through? It is supposed to lower stamina consumption while blocking. But as a ranger, you arent supposed to be in blocking range? The ranger has one of the best dodges in the game. Also, when you block as a ranger, you still take damage lol? Wouldnt this have been a better trait for, ohh, any of the other tanky classes. The whole demo seems riddled with half realized decisions like this.

Last edited:

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I also tried out the demo yesterday and ended up liking it more than I thought.
It feels different enough from Souls to justify its existence. I'll pick it up when I'm not swamped in other games.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Beat the main game finally last night, cleaning up remaining depths. One mini boss was a nightmare! Forgot the name but I'm sure people know which I mean. Also revisiting
ornstein and smough in the depths and smough upgrading after you kill her was such a fun homage (or blatant steal) surprised they didn't do that for the real fight.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't buy the game atm, but looking forward to getting it at some point.
Mostly want it for the combat and I already looked up the boss fights, which looks pretty good.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
How's the difficulty on this one? I just finished The Surge 2 yesterday and now I've got the old souls itch going again. I keep hearing reports saying it's easy most of the time but some bosses get unfairly difficult....which I guess I hear about every souls game, lol.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
How's the difficulty on this one? I just finished The Surge 2 yesterday and now I've got the old souls itch going again. I keep hearing reports saying it's easy most of the time but some bosses get unfairly difficult....which I guess I hear about every souls game, lol.

It's easy as fuck if you use a co-op partner (the game gives you npc partners) but you can turn that off and do it solo. I've beaten all dark souls games (including a soul level 1 run)/bloodborne/demon souls and sekiro but some bosses in this took me 30 tries solo.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It's easy as fuck if you use a co-op partner (the game gives you npc partners) but you can turn that off and do it solo. I've beaten all dark souls games (including a soul level 1 run)/bloodborne/demon souls and sekiro but some bosses in this took me 30 tries solo.

I'll most likely be playing alone. Are the NPC partners competent? Can I turn on co-op play and summon like DS in case I hit a brick wall boss?

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Also since I've beaten the main game, I'm now using this build I found on reddit: Argent Wolf King's Blade + Queen's Slayer + Mind/Will + 2h-Sword Mastery + Vow of Ichor + Final Journey + Somatic Zeal + Adrenaline + Bridge of Glory.

It's hilarious. Do like 4/5k a hit with that great sword, and can move around with fast dodge. Though only use that for bosses because you die after a certain amount of time lol.

I'll most likely be playing alone. Are the NPC partners competent? Can I turn on co-op play and summon like DS in case I hit a brick wall boss?

I only played solo so I don't know how they play but I always read they are OP. I mean one of them can revive you when you die so. Dunno about co-op but I know the game has it.

Last edited:

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

NPCs are very competenet, to the point of carrying you in certain instances, which is why I playing mostly without them.

Yes, you can turn on co-op play, you can do so at any point in time simply by going into menu, no consumables required.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll do NG+ solo. I like hearing the npcs (new) comments as you go through zones. (Even if they start repeating quite quickly.)

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple of questions:

1. How does the weapon scaling work? I understand it in the Souls games but I'm not sure how to interpret it here. The only way of improving my attack damage seems to be upgrading and temporarily buffing my weapons.

2. Is there a mod to swap the Xbox button icons for PS4 icons?

3. What does the "gift" weapon transformation do?

4. With as few spoilers as possible - what do I have to keep in mind if I want the true ending? Is it obtainable without a guide or is it obscure like in DaS3? Currently, I'm at the end of
the Hollow Pit and the Trenches.
I 've also finished all 3 depths maps.

This game's bosses are hard as fuck if you play without the AI companions.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
1. It scales based off the blood code you have equipped, so e.g. you have a blood code with S STR and E Dex, go for a weapon with STR scaling.

2. no idea, playing on XOX

3. https://www.reddit.com/r/codevein/comments/dbeeux/psa_gift_transformation_description_is_misleading/ - maybe this will help?

4. It's very obvious, I didn't google anything and was able to piece it together which I later confirmed here, so, simply:

gather all vestiges in the area where the attendants are standing before bosses [characters very similar to Io] and reconstruct all vestiges they have on offer, then, after the boss fight, apporach the... uhhh, statues in memory world, to again, reconstruct memories [all vestiges required] - rinse repeat with every boss who has an attendant

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. It scales based off the blood code you have equipped, so e.g. you have a blood code with S STR and E Dex, go for a weapon with STR scaling.

2. no idea, playing on XOX

3. https://www.reddit.com/r/codevein/comments/dbeeux/psa_gift_transformation_description_is_misleading/ - maybe this will help?

4. It's very obvious, I didn't google anything and was able to piece it together which I later confirmed here, so, simply:

gather all vestiges in the area where the attendants are standing before bosses [characters very similar to Io] and reconstruct all vestiges they have on offer, then, after the boss fight, apporach the... uhhh, statues in memory world, to again, reconstruct memories [all vestiges required] - rinse repeat with every boss who has an attendant
Thanks!

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Beat the main game finally last night, cleaning up remaining depths. One mini boss was a nightmare! Forgot the name but I'm sure people know which I mean. Also revisiting
ornstein and smough in the depths and smough upgrading after you kill her was such a fun homage (or blatant steal) surprised they didn't do that for the real fight.
You did the whole thing solo right? That's pretty impressive. I had to develop strats to keep my AI partner alive for
The Cannoneer and The Blade Bearer.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
You did the whole thing solo right? That's pretty impressive. I had to develop strats to keep my AI partner alive for
The Cannoneer and The Blade Bearer.

Yea that was hard, specially the depths version. But it was mainly just
kite kite kite, roll dodge 3x, go for 1 sweep attack, and roll roll roll kite kite kite till Blade Bearer was down. Then Cannoneer was easy when he's alone.

Depths version cannoneer upgrades like Ornstein/Smough and he becomes a lot harder too, but I got it.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There are only one or two bosses in this game that I did not kill on first try. I also didn't feel a constant threat like I do in Souls games. Maybe it was just me getting really familiar with this game, but at some point you kinda know what to expect.

I'd say it's definitely easier than any real Souls game. Probably because of the companion. They tank a lot of hits that might have hit you were they not there. But even without them, enemy and bosses attack patterns aren't that difficult to figure out.

Having said that... I got the season pass and I am looking forward to DLC! Finished all side quests and all of The Depths and I really want more content. Only took me 27 hours to get to this point, which is relatively short for this kind of game.
Thanks Dawg. Just got the Digital Deluxe edition and it's downloading now. Can't wait to play it!

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the 2nd phase of the
Invading Executioner
is destroying me. There are so few openings.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the 2nd phase of the
Invading Executioner
is destroying me. There are so few openings.
I relied on Yakumo to help with that while I just kept dodging attacks. Seems to be my go to strategy for the end of boss battles where they leave few openings and I'm out of regen tonics lol. Although the difficulty can vary quite a bit, some boss battles I'm aggressively attacking even at the end.

Speaking of Yakumo. His weapon is awesome, I just did the snow area, I assume some day I'll find a weapon to replace it lol? Although right now I'm trying to level caster blood codes so I'm using quick 1 handed weapons so I can combo faster. Also what level should I be? I was around 65 at the end of the snow area but could have leveled to like 70-75 if i wanted to...

Last edited: