• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

They good. Sunset hammer has my favorite moveset but you can't beat the impulse anchor for looks and impact. Only drawback seems to be crowd control in some of the larger invasions, and some enemies being highly resistant to crush, but it's nothing a two-handed sword can't solve.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm utterly disappointed that the spears are just yet another slashing weapon, not thrust. Or are there also thrust type spears that I've yet to encounter?

So far, I ended up using the bayonet and it serves me pretty well.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want this game but it seem it's almost mandatory to bring a companion with you for an easier time.
That's a damn dealbreaker to me. A shame too, cause despite my opinions on the demo it had potential.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I kinda want this game but it seem it's almost mandatory to bring a companion with you for an easier time.
That's a damn dealbreaker to me. A shame too, cause despite my opinions on the demo it had potential.
What do you expect, actually? The game being easier without companion?

If so, then yeah that won't be an option. The game basically have 2 difficulty options, easy with companion and hard for solo. If you're on PC, you can probably tinker the enemy damage to half or something with CE. I bet there's already custom-made CE table(s) available somewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
so, im not sure but I think my game bugged. I beat the invading executioner a while ago but never got Mia back at base. Still dont. Not sure if I could've possibly missed something or it just bugged and she never showed.

guess ill just progress and see if theres some other trigger, just feels weird with how long ago I did the executioner.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
What do you expect, actually? The game being easier without companion?

If so, then yeah that won't be an option. The game basically have 2 difficulty options, easy with companion and hard for solo. If you're on PC, you can probably tinker the enemy damage to half or something with CE. I bet there's already custom-made CE table(s) available somewhere.
I'm not on PC nah. With those sort of games I tend to usually go through it solo for the first playthrough and then subsequent playthroughs (new builds, etc) then I use companions or co-op. Even though solo is an option here, it's probably gonna be more frustrating than fun.

Hence why i'm not sure about purchasing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Looking at youtube reviews like Jim Sterling and the like, people seem pretty impressed with this game. Wonder why there is such a discrepancy from them to larger media outlets.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
so, im not sure but I think my game bugged. I beat the invading executioner a while ago but never got Mia back at base. Still dont. Not sure if I could've possibly missed something or it just bugged and she never showed.

guess ill just progress and see if theres some other trigger, just feels weird with how long ago I did the executioner.
Did you beat more bosses or just the executioner and the tutorial one? There more stuff for you to do if you just beat two or 3 bosses.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna go for a magic build. I'll also see if I can prioritize speed, since I'm not into using heavy weapons that much

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm not on PC nah. With those sort of games I tend to usually go through it solo for the first playthrough and then subsequent playthroughs (new builds, etc) then I use companions or co-op. Even though solo is an option here, it's probably gonna be more frustrating than fun.

Hence why i'm not sure about purchasing it.
I've been playing with a companion, and it does feel too easy at times. I never died more than once in a boss fight so far, because the companion is so useful.

That said, I'm not too confident in going solo either. I feel like this game is meant to be played with a companion, whether it's AI or another player online. But I'll definitely have to try it some time.

That's why I use my gesture list when I'm bored.

"Hello."

"We can give up... tomorrow."

"Impressive!"
I've never thought of that. That's probably the only instance where our character's voice will be used.

Looking at youtube reviews like Jim Sterling and the like, people seem pretty impressed with this game. Wonder why there is such a discrepancy from them to larger media outlets.
I think most reviewers went into the game with set expectations, with a pretty high bar which is FROM's games. Yeah, Code Vein definitely doesn't reach the heights of the real deal, but it's also doing some of its own things which should've been appreciated. It's also the most accessible Souls-like game that I've ever played, so if they mention that, Code Vein might reach the audience that are usually on the fence in trying Souls games.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing with a companion, and it does feel too easy at times. I never died more than once in a boss fight so far, because the companion is so useful.

That said, I'm not too confident in going solo either. I feel like this game is meant to be played with a companion, whether it's AI or another player online. But I'll definitely have to try it some time.
Hmm, I see then. Well I think I will wait a sale just to be sure then! c:

Jun 23, 2019
Anyone know where to go after
you've beaten Despot? The message on the board at Home Base says to go back to Ruined City Center and I completed the two side quests here, but I don't know where to go. Also that ladder on the lower level is still up so so can't climb it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the (Not) Anor Londo area and... I liked the bosses but man that simply went on for too long and with a lack of variance in the design of the level it just felt like going through endless paths where everything just looked the goddamn same. The variety before that wasn't that bad. This was the first level it really felt like half of it was designed via Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know where to go after
you've beaten Despot? The message on the board at Home Base says to go back to Ruined City Center and I completed the two side quests here, but I don't know where to go. Also that ladder on the lower level is still up so so can't climb it.
There's a giant hole in a place in the Ruined City. You have to go down there by falling into the ledges with caution to not die until you reach a cave like place

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Hey, I'm going to beat this game today! -> Oh hey another depths map. -> Double boss fight 2. -> Hmm, I guess I'll actually be beating this tomorrow.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I spent SO long making my character but when I started playing a realized that a lot of the accessories would just be hidden/clip through the armor in the game. So I had to reevaluate and go with a more minimalistic look, lol.
H4Tkk5X.png

BPEli73.png

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I had an amazing glitch, all the enemies in the area disappeared. So all i was doing was roaming around picking up items. Unfortunately it was back to business after transporting for the queenslayer code, but i went a bit ahead before i touched it.

Also man. This game has not right being this good, I'm having a blast playing it. Still doing it relatively low lvl with my companion. So boss battles have legit been a challenge. But it's been fun.

three_muffins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How hard is the game compared to Bloodborne and dark souls?

I love how the games looks and the setting looks very promising. Bloodborne and Dark Souls was simply to hard for me.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I spent SO long making my character but when I started playing a realized that a lot of the accessories would just be hidden/clip through the armor in the game. So I had to reevaluate and go with a more minimalistic look, lol.
H4Tkk5X.png

BPEli73.png
Man, everyone has such good-looking characters. Haven't posted mine yet I think.
I've changed it around several times after seeing other people's stuff but I think I finally finalized it.

0pb5mkI.jpg

ayoU7qE.jpg

Wish you could mix and match outfits. I like the pants on this but not the top. Though at least the blood veil goes over it.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So based on what I've read, the game has a similar multiplayer system to Ashen. I would want to play through the entirety of this game with my wife. Would that be possible with a passworded Distress Signal? Is it like Ashen where as long as we haven't defeated the boss and are in the same location, it is fairly easy to appear in each other's game?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Man, everyone has such good-looking characters. Haven't posted mine yet I think.
I've changed it around several times after seeing other people's stuff but I think I finally finalized it.

0pb5mkI.jpg

ayoU7qE.jpg

Wish you could mix and match outfits. I like the pants on this but not the top. Though at least the blood veil goes over it.
Nice job! I like the hair/ribbon especially. Really good color balance as well.

Yeah, I also wish the accessory limit wasn't so strict on certain items. Like, a single glove on one hand costs 4 slots? Whyyyyyy?

buset

Jul 25, 2018

I love how the games looks and the setting looks very promising. Bloodborne and Dark Souls was simply to hard for me.

Its way easier and more free than both of them, I haven't gotten too far yet (played about five hours) but if you bring an AI companion its way easier. A lot of cool systems as well and you can switch your "class" on the fly

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Yeah, I also wish the accessory limit wasn't so strict on certain items. Like, a single glove on one hand costs 4 slots? Whyyyyyy?
For sure, I had several times where I wanted to add more stuff but was capped. Apparently on PC someone found a way to bypass the limit using cheatengine at least. Not that bothered right now but maybe I'll make use of that if I ever end up creating another character.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tad easier than the Souls games, but not by that much. I suggest playing without AI partners else it could be too easy + it hurts your gamer pride.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I'm playing solo and man it can be pretty hard in some places. The npc invasion thing in anor londo is ridiculous. But using partners just feels too easy and too cheap for me. Right now I just beat
that (mini?) boss agent bull or something and went into my own memory
still feels like I'm not very far at all since looks like I still have
bosses left judging by the achievements list lol. Anybody beat it yet solo? Wondering what the playtime is.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really bummed out but no matter how hard I try I really don't like this game.
I just don't like how it plays it feels wrong and off somehow. And the environments feel lifeless and boring.

It sucks I really tried to like it, but it looks like I wasted my money :(

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really bummed out but no matter how hard I try I really don't like this game.
I just don't like how it plays it feels wrong and off somehow. And the environments feel lifeless and boring.

It sucks I really tried to like it, but it looks like I wasted my money :(
What exactly feels off? Have you tried playing around with different builds? In my opinion the weapon classes feel very different from one another.
The environments feel very samey but I'm hoping that changes at some point. The area I'm currently in is a hard contrast to what came before that, although it's kind of boring in a different way. I'm still enjoying the exploration factor since there are a lot of secret little routes that hide meaningful loot most of the time.
I also like the non-linearity very early on. The main area branches into two completely different areas that you can freely explore before leading to the next area.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly feels off? Have you tried playing around with different builds? In my opinion the weapon classes feel very different from one another.
The environments feel very samey but I'm hoping that changes at some point. The area I'm currently in is a hard contrast to what came before that, although it's kind of boring in a different way. I'm still enjoying the exploration factor since there are a lot of secret little routes that hide meaningful loot most of the time.
I also like the non-linearity very early on. The main area branches into two completely different areas that you can freely explore before leading to the next area.
Its hard to put it into words. It feels like there is very little feedback when you hit enemies and that it is somehow hard to judge when your attacks are in range. It also feels like every enemy is a behind the corner surprise attack dude. And the ones that aren't don't seem to see you til you are right in their face.

Its lots of lttle things. I hate to bring up the Souls comparison but it has kinda given me an appreciation for all the little almost invisible things that series does right, that Code Vein seemingly does poorly.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Its hard to put it into words. It feels like there is very little feedback when you hit enemies and that it is somehow hard to judge when your attacks are in range. It also feels like every enemy is a behind the corner surprise attack dude. And the ones that aren't don't seem to see you til you are right in their face.

Its lots of lttle things. I hate to bring up the Souls comparison but it has kinda given me an appreciation for all the little almost invisible things that series does right, that Code Vein seemingly does poorly.

To be honest, I think the "hidden surprise enemy" is kind of a Soulsborne staple. It's especially prevalent in Bloodborne. It's also very predictable in Code Vein. Most enemies are pretty much "fodder" anyways so the surprise attack gets a "really, you little shit?" reaction from me.
I pretty much use a great sword exclusively and I feel the feedback is perfect. It wouldn't make sense for a little sword to make a huge impact on big enemies so in that regard I think it's perfectly fine.
I also like the fact that you can sneak up on enemies. You do have to walk slowly for it to work, though. If you run at enemies from behind they always turn around. Just like in Souls games. On the other hand, I hate it when enemies turn around even, though I'm "sneaking" because Souls games want to make things challenging, even though it sometimes it comes at the cost of immersion.

Shoon

Dec 25, 2017
Alrighty, so I finished the game at 22 hours (Not really rushing through, just not really dying and getting through areas in one shot). As someone who has played all the other souls games, I really enjoyed this! Honestly, the game was a bit too easy for my first run, as I used a full strength build with a Zweihander but I'm willing to change things up for my second playthrough! The only problem I had was fighting bosses with this weapon and crazy strength made things a joke, as I would dodge through 2 or 3 hits and absolutely drain the bosses health in a few shots.... Maybe I really over leveled as by the time I was at the end, I was level 95. Nonetheless I really liked the story and the characters alongside the gameplay.

The one thing I really dread is the Companion Rank 30 trophy, as you need to basically get 400 medals to get to that rank. You get 1 medal per boss in co-op, so you can see how this is going to be a pain... Hahaha

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Alrighty, so I finished the game at 22 hours (Not really rushing through, just not really dying and getting through areas in one shot). As someone who has played all the other souls games, I really enjoyed this! Honestly, the game was a bit too easy for my first run, as I used a full strength build with a Zweihander but I'm willing to change things up for my second playthrough! The only problem I had was fighting bosses with this weapon and crazy strength made things a joke, as I would dodge through 2 or 3 hits and absolutely drain the bosses health in a few shots.... Maybe I really over leveled as by the time I was at the end, I was level 95. Nonetheless I really liked the story and the characters alongside the gameplay.

The one thing I really dread is the Companion Rank 30 trophy, as you need to basically get 400 medals to get to that rank. You get 1 medal per boss in co-op, so you can see how this is going to be a pain... Hahaha
If you have a buddy you can farm in the depths. Every boss there gives a medal, so 3-4 per run depending on the map.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played 17 hours the last 3 days and today I have to work. 😭
Yeah I played for 6h straight yesterday. This is a Nioh-tier Soulslike so far. Fantastic really.

What weapons are you guys wielding? I like lance weapons the most as far as I can tell. I'll try the Zweihander once I get home.

Also, is there info on missable trophies? Is there NG+ like in Souls?

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I played for 6h straight yesterday. This is a Nioh-tier Soulslike so far. Fantastic really.

What weapons are you guys wielding? I like lance weapons the most as far as I can tell. I'll try the Zweihander once I get home.

Also, is there info on missable trophies? Is there NG+ like in Souls?
I have been using Yakumo's blade.
Yes there are missable trophies and yes there is NG+.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
How do I increase my strength, etc? It seems like when I level up, it just gives me small increases in attack power and defense.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tad easier than the Souls games, but not by that much. I suggest playing without AI partners else it could be too easy + it hurts your gamer pride.
At least there's a penalty for picking the AI partners.

They never shut the hell up. I swear they make some sort of mundane remark every 10 seconds.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same thing happening with The Surge 2, which is a brilliant game that received a mixed response from the establishment review mill

I think outlet reviewers just don't get niche games/genres and especially have trouble with difficult games. They also disproportionately respond to amazing presentations/technical showcases and storytelling/acting while caring less about gameplay systems. That's why we see games like RDR2 with great presentations and stories but bad gameplay and bad mission design still skate by with 10/10s

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So regarding two characters you meet in the (not) Anor Londo place...

Maybe it's just part of the English dub but I totally got the impression that Karen and Aurora were totally a thing or at least Aurora wanted it to be. Did anyone else get that impression?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

It's meant to be played with the AI helpers, so easier for sure. Playing solo is in the ballpark of FromSoft difficulty, but the game lacks polish that the AIs are clearly meant to cover for. If you play as the devs intend, it will be fine for you.