• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
How did this game only score 70 on metacritic? Everyone seems to enjoy it.

70's a great number, nothing wrong with that. ;o

And of course many of the people currently playing it are more inclined to like it, as it just came out -- others on the other side of the fence are either waiting for a sale or pro'lly won't play it, ever.

This was always destined to be a cult fan favorite, at least..!!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah thus far it seems to be better than a 7/10. I'm about 10 hours in, just past the point where the main MacGuffin becomes the focus, and I'm really enjoying it. Shortcomings include an overemphasis on boobs (to be clear: half of the characters have boobs that are hanging out for no reason) every level has a mazelike design and too few interesting setpieces that you might find in a Souls game. Otherwise? It plays well and has interesting build possibilities, which is what you want from this kind of game, and the level design isn't so bad as to be unpleasant.
Yeah, my biggest gripe about this game is actually not the combat nor map design, it's the atrocious sexualization of its female character designs. Virtually every one of them have boobs hanging around for no reason, just as you described. The camera direction in cutscenes are only making it worse as well. This kinda makes Xenoblade 2 looks tame in comparison, as there are only a few problematic character design in there compared to most in Code Vein. It's beyond ridiculous.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
My lady so far (spoiler because midgame gear):

codevein0929zwjjn.png

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
My god i dunno if it was the other persons connection but, i was get the back stab but it would never land.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Virtually every one of them have boobs hanging around for no reason, just as you described.

The only female character I've encountered thus far who hasn't been rocking lingerie, side-boob, or underboob is Aurora, but she appears to be over the age of 20, and therefore a geriatric by anime standards.

Edit: Just look at this shit:

codevein_2975093.jpg

Why. No one is that horny all the time to make such regrettable design choices.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hm... I'm debating between the Queenslayer blade and the Lost broadsword. Despite Queenslayer having better scaling it seems like Lost Broadsword just does more? On the other hand the Queenslayer blade doesn't have the bad vertical slice as it's initial attack and therefore less likely to miss.

Anyone else got thoughts about that?

Dawg

Oct 28, 2017
That's basically exactly my build, haha! I'm still fat rolling, though. Probably using wrong armor.
Armor only affects drain damage, though. Right?
Then I can safely switch that out without losing physical damage. I don't really care about drain damage.

Yup, also affects gift power.

Use the GXH Assault. It's pretty good and its 40 weight will drop you down to normal mobility.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, can we not back stab in coop? I get the red spark...but no followthrough when i try.

Nevermind it's weird but if i attempt again it actually works. So weird.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2.5h (I just got to the
Howling Pit
) or so in and I'm loving it, but holy moly is the PS4 Pro framerate bad. I would have opted for the Steam version had I known that it gets worse past the point where the demo ends. The framerate in the city ruins is atrocious. I'm actually hoping for more underground levels because those seem to run better. The depths run very well for instance.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, also affects gift power.

Use the GXH Assault. It's pretty good and its 40 weight will drop you down to normal mobility.

For some reason I thought the armor also affects weapon damage. If that's not the case then I'll just use something that gives me normal speed. I never use the drain ability and only use gifts to pull enemies or for chip damage during boss fights.

I've heard people say that the combat lacks actual hit feedback or a little oomph. As someone who mainly uses great swords I'm not really sure what those people are talking about. Of course light weapons don't give as much feedback when you slash enemies twice your size...

The Surge 2 also comes up every now and then. I personally really like that the game exists and I want it to do well, but for me the hit feedback feels super unsatisfying. The metal on metal aspect reminds me of hitting shields in Souls games and my brain instantly thinks that I didn't land a good hit.
I might still give it a shot, though.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So, played through the free demo and enjoyed it, but as with all Soulslike games, I'm scared it will become just too hard. How difficult is Code Vein?

Also, torn between this and Surge 2. This kinda feels more appealing, but everyone seems to agree Surge has better combat.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
So, played through the free demo and enjoyed it, but as with all Soulslike games, I'm scared it will become just too hard. How difficult is Code Vein?

Also, torn between this and Surge 2. This kinda feels more appealing, but everyone seems to agree Surge has better combat.

code vein has the partner AI system which alleviates quite a bit of the difficulty. Still can present a challenge even with the partners tho

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished: (Late game, I think, spoilers):
the two boss fight Ornstein and...er...

That shit was actually challenging. That fight really wouldn't have been out of place in Dark Souls or Sekiro, difficulty-wise. And I had the companion on to boot.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017

I think it's way easier because of your ai partners. They're very efficient and saved my ass numerous times.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017

It's definitely easier than Dark Souls. You can have a companion and summon someone to help. If you enjoyed the demo, what are you waiting for?
You only need Yakumo, he's a beast.

Dawg

Oct 28, 2017
As far as companions go, Io for exploration and Yakumo for bosses is probably the best combination.

Early to mid-game, you can just use Yakumo for everything though.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
considering purchasing this... how is the performance on base ps4? Is it 30fps?

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
How far in do I need to be to choose different companions? You select them at the home base? I think I have Louis right now.

Also, I think I've just been using the Bayonet as a melee weapon. How do I activate it's ranged attack? Wow.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
70's a great number, nothing wrong with that. ;o

And of course many of the people currently playing it are more inclined to like it, as it just came out -- others on the other side of the fence are either waiting for a sale or pro'lly won't play it, ever.

This was always destined to be a cult fan favorite, at least..!!
Well allot of games I enjoy are high 70s metacritic, I agree that in general that a mid to high 70s score is a pretty good number, especially for a game that doesn't get the AAA hype boost. But this score seems a bit low for something that actually seems pretty good, it is close to dropping back into the 60s again. Usually the 60s are reserved for bad games or mediocre trash cash grabs like 90% of Bandai Namco's anime efforts.

Last edited:

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Game is great. Far, far more enjoyable for me than Surge series or any other soulsborne for that matter. But then I love anime, partners and voice acting with cutscenes and story direction so i am biased

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Oh my god. The Ornstein and Smough equivalent boss fight was proportionately crazy hard in comparison to everything else. That fight was crazy.

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
How far in do I need to be to choose different companions? You select them at the home base? I think I have Louis right now.

Also, I think I've just been using the Bayonet as a melee weapon. How do I activate it's ranged attack? Wow.
Strong attack for Bayonets but it costs 1 ichor per shot, you can hold it for a wider shot but costs more ichor.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
YO WHAT! WHAT!

Aragami! Legitimately shocked. Yosuke Tomizawa is a huge liar. He said there was no connection to God Eater. I'm a fool!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I was really enjoying the game, but then I got to the Cathedral.

My god this is seriously one of the worst levels I've played in a game of this budget bracket.

They took like 8 assets and rotated them everywhere to make an extremely confusing and ugly map.

And it goes on forever. I've been playing this map for like 4 hours and it just keeps going on and on through the same tower/stairs/balcony assets.

I really hope later levels aren't like this.

RustedEdge

Aug 17, 2019

My god this is seriously one of the worst levels I've played in a game of this budget bracket.

They took like 8 assets and rotated them everywhere to make an extremely confusing and ugly map.

And it goes on forever. I've been playing this map for like 4 hours and it just keeps going on and on through the same tower/stairs/balcony assets.

That's the only level in the game like that. There's a future level with the same assets, but it's much much shorter.

Oct 25, 2017

They aren't, for the most part. At least I haven't seen anything quite as bad, though there's certainly copy+paste going on in some of the levels, the problem with the Cathedral is how absolutely sprawling and samey everything is, without any reasonable landmarks to disambiguate the environ.

I didn't dislike the area; I found it kind of fun to get lost in, and use my step markers to find my way, but I totally understand why someone wouldn't enjoy themselves there.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Anime Londo is acceptable because of the step markers. Its extremely easy to see where you've been, I'm actually glad they went with sprawling levels to take advantage of that. It was a bit visually tedious but you really shouldnt be getting "lost" with the the in-game map.

Dawg

Oct 28, 2017
My only complaint about the in-game map is that 100% doesn't really mean 100%. It doesn't account for collectibles. You might have missed one or two but the map will always say 100% as soon as you have found all mistles and corrupted flowers.

Also, I wish you could move the map around a bit instead of just being able to zoom in.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Worst part of this game by far is the super anime overly sexualized female character designs. Shit sucks.

The rest of it is actually pretty fun and I like the story more than I expected to.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Worst part of this game by far is the super anime overly sexualized female character designs. Shit sucks.

The rest of it is actually pretty fun and I like the story more than I expected to.
This is why I'm hesitant on it. I don't mind a little skin, but I find CV to be over the top just a bit for my taste. I'm sure I'll eventually get it.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Damn might need to pick this up sooner than I thought after seeing all the positive responses. But how responsive is the combat, weird that not many people are actually talking about the combat, is it that close to souls?

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Damn might need to pick this up sooner than I thought after seeing all the positive responses. But how responsive is the combat, weird that not many people are actually talking about the combat, is it that close to souls?
The combat is pretty fun. It takes a bit to get into it because a lot of the fun in this game comes from skills you learn as you unlock new classes.

I doesn't feel as impactful as Souls or as amazing as Nioh at first, but once you get used to its own unique feel its pretty fun.

My biggest complaint would be that hitstun on enemies doesn't always fell consistent. In particular on larger enemies it feels like every second hit will stun the enemy but not the first. There are a lot of moments when you and then enemy will both hit each other as if nobody hit the other first.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
considering purchasing this... how is the performance on base ps4? Is it 30fps?

There's a demo so you could just try it out (at least on PS4. Not sure about PC).

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I am enjoying the story in this FAR more than I ever thought I would.

And it's nice to see our silent protagonist do shit during action cutscenes for a change, the cutscene in Anime Londo where we...

fight against Jack was dope, refreshing to see our character doing something instead of just getting their ass kicked or standing like a lifeless idiot [looking at you Astral Chain]