• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I played way too much of this today. Such a good game. There's a couple God Eater references here and there, which is fun.
I am surprisingly impressed with the story and presentation. I hate Louis when he's running around with me, but he's great in the cutscenes. All the flashback stuff is real good.
The flashbacks sequences are really well executed. One of my favorite aspects of the game for sure.
Can't wait till everyone here reaches Anor Londo 2.0

Because it sure is something...
I'm already well past it, and yeah, it was kind of nuts. Quite the maze for me but I still loved it.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
The details in the blood veils are really neat. Like the one that's a jacket on your back has the loose sleeves turn into the wolves for the drain attack.

pBcSZ04.gif

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
I enjoy the idea of the AI companion. Are they with you throughout the whole game or just for certain sections?

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
You can break the game early on. Farm Old-world material and trade for Yakumo's sword.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or do enemies have terrible vision.
They don't seem to see you tell you are right in their face.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Oh wow, this swamp area is the worst.

It's pitch black so you have no clue where to go, there are lots of debris so you might easily missed stuff, and there are deeper spots where you're slowed.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All right I'm about to buy it. Not sure if I should get it on Steam or PS4 Pro though. Consistent 60 FPS vs. trophies and an active player base hnggg shit.

edit: Nvm I got the PS4 version

Last edited:

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I got to the home base for the first time, and it doesn't look like I can do anything there, other than rest at the mistle.

So I just move on to the next area?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a visual indicator for when you can backstab because it feels largely random whether it will land or not.

My magic build is paying off right now, I can pretty much one shot every enemy I found so far with one spell that costs 6 MP and I can get the MP back with 2 slashes. I pretty much die in two or three hits tho.

Have to say I'm finding it hard to get a ranged or caster build I'm completely happy with, having to melee to regenerate ichor makes them feel quite risky. Though admittedly they'd be busted if you could regenerate ichor from range.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I bought Yakumo's weapon and it got me through mid-game to late-game. It really is a great weapon. Combine it with the Atlas Blood Code and your mobility gets changed from slow to normal, which is really good. I defeated most enemies in two or three hits.

Atlas (Yakumo's Blood Code) is probably the best for a greatsword build. It's what I used to beat most of the game. Got my strength to S+ with the passive gift that increases damage if u wear 2H swords. And I also got two additional strength gifts. One of them is from Louis Blood Code.

Basically made me hit VERY HARD.
That's basically exactly my build, haha! I'm still fat rolling, though. Probably using wrong armor.
Armor only affects drain damage, though. Right?
Then I can safely switch that out without losing physical damage. I don't really care about drain damage.

Vic Tokai

Aug 9, 2018
I got to the home base for the first time, and it doesn't look like I can do anything there, other than rest at the mistle.

So I just move on to the next area?

Make sure you let ALL of the girl in the skimpy white dress's dialog play out before you walk away from her (your amnesiac friend from the intro of the game). She pauses after the first few words, long enough to make you think she's done talking, but she's not.

(Edit: misremembered a character's name, so I just replaced it with a description since I guess I can't remember what her name actually is, ha.)

Last edited:

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
So the general consensus here is that this game is amazing, yeah? I liked The Surge 2 but I didn't feel as Souls-like as the demo for this. Surge also doesn't have actual multilayer, whereas this has co-op with one other person.

I still have Remnant and it's gotten a lot of improvements and patches but I've realized I just don't like procedural generation in my Souls-like. I'd rather have more melee-focused combat than the guns as well.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
For my part, at least, I think I just misremembered a character's name. Edited my previous post.

Ah okay I thought I was missing a character for a second there lol. I have heard of her though, just have yet to reach her proper introduction....

So the general consensus here is that this game is amazing, yeah? I liked The Surge 2 but I didn't feel as Souls-like as the demo for this. Surge also doesn't have actual multilayer, whereas this has co-op with one other person.

I still have Remnant and it's gotten a lot of improvements and patches but I've realized I just don't like procedural generation in my Souls-like. I'd rather have more melee-focused combat than the guns as well.

It's rotund fun, shaky footing and all. *nod* Open to a variety of playstyles and fairly fluid action combat (though still typically measured in Soulslike fashion) once you get used to it, just be prepared for all your favorite anime tropes...

There's two different paths you can take early on, one towards the Butterfly and another slightly more obscured path that leads you 'down'. Look for the teleport points on your map that say like "50%" and then explore the rest of them : D.

*spits water* ...hold on really?

Is this in the city level?

EDIT: OK I think I got a grasp of it... I'd dropped down there before but didn't think much of it and went back up. Will keep an eye out for all corners of the map!!

EDIT #2: Actually that route is one I already recently paved through to the entrance of the next area. Question is, it's a mandatory part of the story right? Not an optional missable thing?

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any strategy to giving gifts to people in the hub? Do they give any indication of what items they want?

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: Is there anyway to disable the HUD? I'm playing on PC but haven't found anything so far, personally like playing games or having the option of playing with nothing on the screen in terms of UI.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Quick question: Is there anyway to disable the HUD? I'm playing on PC but haven't found anything so far, personally like playing games or having the option of playing with nothing on the screen in terms of UI.
Yeah, I'm seconding that.

Especially for Souls game like this, you don't really need the HUD. Or at least let me hide the compass and skill shortcuts. I don't care if my AI partner is dying, and there's already critical health effects so I don't really need to pay attention to my health. So yeah, generally there are lots of useless elements in the HUD, and they take too much space.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Have to say I'm finding it hard to get a ranged or caster build I'm completely happy with, having to melee to regenerate ichor makes them feel quite risky. Though admittedly they'd be busted if you could regenerate ichor from range.
I have the quick dodge because of the low weight + that passive skill that gives you more focus on dodge so it isn't too bad to get some few hits to get the MP back and dodge away to use magic, I also have one passive skill that increases my dark magic damage when I have focus so right now the build is working well.

I don't have many good magics with me tho so I hope I get some Blood Codes more focused on it.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Having a blast 4 hours in. Surprised at the pretty gfx on 1X. I'm way over leveled at 26 directly after the BF Boss, haha. Using the companion, always. Zero shame. Zero.

Still not quite sure about the upgrading of Blood Veils, even though I have one at +2. It doesn't seem like upgrading them increases defense stats? Is that right?

Such a fun game, with an actual story. Love it.

I made the mistake of buying The Surge 2. Played it for 2 hrs and was bored stiff. Code Vein is much more appealing to me, on all levels. It's the most fun that I've had with a Souls type game since Bloodborne. And I like this more than DS3. It's easier, which I kind of like. But you can still get your ass kicked if you become too cavalier.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Ha. My game glitched out for a moment. I fell down really far and Louis revived me but my character thanked him in Japanese in a completely different voice then mine haha.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
How did this game only score 70 on metacritic? Everyone seems to enjoy it.

Yeah thus far it seems to be better than a 7/10. I'm about 10 hours in, just past the point where the main MacGuffin becomes the focus, and I'm really enjoying it. Shortcomings include an overemphasis on boobs (to be clear: half of the characters have boobs that are hanging out for no reason) every level has a mazelike design and too few interesting setpieces that you might find in a Souls game. Otherwise? It plays well and has interesting build possibilities, which is what you want from this kind of game, and the level design isn't so bad as to be unpleasant.