• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 14, 2019
cod-vein.jpg

Developer: Bandai Namco
Publisher: Bandai Namco Studios
Platforms: Steam , Playstation 4 , Xbox
Release: 27th September​

Story:

Code-Vein-768x432.jpg

Code Vein takes place within a post-apocalyptic world. Amidst the worldwide destruction, a secret society known as "Vein" has risen from the ashes. This organization is mainly run by "Revenants," immortal creatures who were once human that take on the properties of vampires. Since coming back from the brink of death, Revenants vie for survival by acquiring various "Gifts" of power. But in the process, their memories are wiped clean. Should any Revenant give in to their vampiric desires, he/she will transform into a mindless ghoul known as the "Lost." As the main protagonist of the story, you set out with a number of allies as you try to recover your lost memories and discover the source of the world's damaged state.

Praise The Spa:

Code-Vein_190902_09.jpg

Code Vein allows its characters to relax in the bathing waters at the spa in their base. By relaxing at the spa, players will recover half of the Haze that was dropped on their previous defeat,
letting them at least recover some if they deem it too risky to return to the place where it was dropped. Players can also use the spa to revisit past events and look up in-game terminology.

The Best Anime Creator:

Passitivitea_CODEVEINTrialEdition_20190906_11-08-30_1.png
CODE-VEIN-character-creation-3.jpg

Code Vein offers a very vast and pretty indepth chracter creation, can even do things like completey different looking eyes etc. theres a huge range of different things to choose from with people already creating 2b and skeletor for instance.

Give Me All Your Code's And Gifts:

blood-code-menu-code-vein-wiki-guide-600px.jpg

Blood Codes and Gifts are going to form the backbone of your experience. The Gifts are all tied to your character's Blood Code, which, in turn, is basically your character class. Mastering the Gifts associated with any Blood Codes allows you to change the latter, which means that Code Vein will allow you to change classes and the abilities associated with them on the fly. In theory, this should allow for deeper progression and more build diversity.

Blood Veil:
Blood Veils are your armour in Code Vein, but in an interesting twist, they also function as important weapons, in that they're also linked to draining enemies and collecting blood. These moves also increase Ichor, which is needed to perform other techniques There are currently four different Blood Veils in the game

Stinger-Type:

maxresdefault.jpg

Stinger is rather self-explanatory, and it's basically a sting built on an extensible tail that can impale enemies and sap their blood in order to empower our character. Incidentally, it's also the Blood Veil used by companion character Mia Karnstein.

Ogre-type:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ogre is a Blood Veil that slashes at enemies with powerful claws, (which has a quick charge time and can hit multiple enemies with a forward dash),

Ivy Type:

maxresdefault.jpg

which are multiple hitting Blood Veils (might hit the target multiple times or targets other enemies nearby). They morph from Revenant's scarf.

Hound Type:

qXzaxh1.jpg

Hounds is pretty self-explanatory, as it literally sends wolf heads to rip the enemies apart

Stay On Target:

Code-Vein-18-768x432.jpg

The Focus mechanic (or stay on target) is an interesting risk-reward system that will come in particularly handy during combat, especially when you're taking a beating. Finesse actions (such as dodging incoming attacks at the last moments) fill up your Focus Gauge, while Focus attacks themselves have increased attack power, and can even leave your enemies open to deadly Blood Veil attack. Do be careful though- your enemies also have Focus gauges of their own, so they won't always behave in the most predictable ways.

This Is My Pole:

3296434-2138369208-CodeV.jpg

GaseousGleamingArieltoucan-size_restricted.gif

Code Vein will have five different weapon types for you to try out during combat. There's one-handed swords, which have short range but fast attacks; two-handed swords, which have a longer reach and deal powerful attacks, but are a little slower; two-handed hammers, which are blunt weapons with decent range but slow attacks; spears, halberds, and polearms, which have log reach and can do AoE attacks; and bayonet rifles, which can do both melee and long-range attacks.

Anyone For A Threesome:

3529850-cooperative_mode.jpg

you'll always be accompanied by an AI-controlled NPC. From giving you buffs to dealing damage to enemies to drawing aggro to even sharing HP, they'll always be involved in combat and aid you in various ways. It remains to be seen how this will shift the balance of the game's difficulty, but managing a secondary character in addition to your own should certainly add another layer of strategy.

you will also be able to call on the aid of another human player. By sending out a rescue signal, the game matches you with another player and summons them to your current location. Summoned players can only be called upon when exploring areas you haven't already completed. In a very cool move, you'll be able to fight alongside another human player and still have the power to utilize your AI-companion character. Teaming up with other players awards you with an item called a "Mark of Respect." This unique currency type can then be used to purchase different character icons, titles, and more.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to be good but the demo was not inspiring. Create-a-character is really good tho.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Nice OT! Looking at potentially picking this up depending on how my local friends find it. Had a good amount of fun with the demo, especially in co-op, but still hesitant to pull the trigger on a purchase. Interested to see what others here think!

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks dope as fuck. Maybe too anime with that spa, but this and Surge 2 should tide me over until hopefully From gets their shit together with Elden Ring.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't like how enemies seem to not react well to attacks. This is done much better in The Surge 2 for example, where they can stagger, fall down, wobble etc.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm starting to feel the hype. I might get it if it reviews well enough, but I'm not expecting glowing reviews.

We shall see in 15~ minutes.

I really don't like how enemies seem to not react well to attacks. This is done much better in The Surge 2 for example, where they can stagger, fall down, wobble etc.
Yeah, hitting enemies in The Surge is always satisfying. And killing them, even more satisfying.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite the contrary, actually. I remember killing Lady Butterfly without getting hit once.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the OT. I liked the network test + demo and I am definitely going to buy it but I am still occupied with Borderlands 3 and MH: Iceborne, so Code Vein will have to wait.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Cannot wait to play this with the 2 other members who bought this on PS4. 😂 By the way, my PS4 was melting when playing the demo.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I want this to be good, it's just what I need right now, but I have serious doubts...

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Expecting 6s and 7s from reviews but still hoping it turns out better.

I enjoyed the beta though so I'm playing it either way, skipped Sekiro so it's been a while since I've played a souls-like.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting 6s tbh. But I bought the game for the character creator so meh. Dark souls this is not.

OP
OP
Queen Of Hunting
Jun 14, 2019
looks better than surge 2 to me, especially after playing surge 2 and the performance issues its suffering from and the stuttering and the over contrast and brightness (all pc issues that could well be fixed in a future update down line ofcourse but for now)

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
looks better than surge 2 to me, especially after playing surge 2 and the performance issues its suffering from and the stuttering and the over contrast and brightness (all pc issues that could well be fixed in a future update down line ofcourse but for now)

I just flat out dislike how the surge does combat. 1 and 2.

Hoping this is good cuz I could use a souls-like that I enjoy.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like the combat much based on the demo but I'm still interested in the game. Might be a Christmas purchase if it reviews well.

OP
OP
Queen Of Hunting
Jun 14, 2019
For example, we defeated a boss, watched a long cutscene, went back to base, interacted with a couple of NPCs, exited and came back to an unsaved game. There's nothing more infuriating than losing progress, especially in a game that prides itself on challenging boss fights (which again, thankfully most aren't all that bad). Better yet, the game crashed at least twice on us shortly after two separate boss fights, only adding to the frustration. Mind you, for the former occurrence, we didn't use the return to title screen and save option in the menu, but one would expect an auto-save immediately after a boss fight or a lengthy cutscene.

okay thats gonna be annoying

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Gamekult gave it a 6/10.
In short: Some shortcoming (level design, environments, bosses) and lack of polish but combat, progression, narration are good and overall, some potential in the formula.

For comparison (not the same reviewer), The Surge 2 got an 8 from them.

I'll probably going to pick it up down the line after a nice discount (and The Surge 2 just came out and I'm more interested in it)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
GameSpot gave it a 6/10

Code Vein adopts the Souls-like formula in its structure, presenting a familiar cycle of progression and basic combat similarities, and there are some interesting ideas here, too, built around the use of various Blood Codes and their distinct Gifts. You can see the fragments of a fantastic game hidden within these systems and its meaty combat feedback, but the mundanity of its enemies and the effect they have on nullifying the combat's enjoyment prevent Code Vein from ever realizing its potential.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Gamekult gave it a 6/10.
In short: Some shortcoming (level design, environments, bosses) and lack of polish but combat, progression, narration are good and overall, some potential in the formula.

For comparison (not the same reviewer), The Surge 2 got an 8 from them.

I'll probably going to pick it up down the line after a nice discount (and The Surge 2 just came out and I'm more interested in it)
They gave the Surge 2 an 8?? It must be their game of the century then. 😂

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else Metacritic busted? The average score keeps changing but it still shows the same 5 reviews.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Planning on going into this pretty blind, then playing for 2 hours and just refunding if it is actually as bad as many people are saying. Hoping since the combat seems decent that it's a fun enough

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Hmm, not many PC reviews up yet but I'm not seeing any complaints about the port quality so that's nice.

You should definitely play Sekiro. A fantastic game that is both similar and different in many ways to the souls games.
Oh I definitely plan on playing it eventually, only skipped it for now. I had been playing a lot of Nioh before it released so I was just fatigued from samurai stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
The game definitely feels like a more action packed, easier Souls game, and I am actually excited for that very reason.

However, I am disappointed to see that my fear of the game's story and characters being constantly depressing and melodramatic is essentially confirmed given what I've read. I just don't get it, these people made God Eater which is almost the exact same setting, but there they at least had character variety and humor.

It feels like with Code Vein they're trying to make everything seem so serious for some reason, and it ultimately comes off as awkward.