• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently on my third playthrough of the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare campaign. I'm not going to talk about multiplayer here since I don't play online. I heard it was poor, and this led to a lot of people dismissing the game entirely. So I want to focus on the single player in this thread and tell you how great it is.

I felt compelled to make this thread because, on this 3rd playthrough, the game still manages to constantly amaze me with its incredibly bombastic rollercoaster of a campaign, that also manages to develop characters you care about and build its sci-fi world throughout the entire adventure. I often find myself biting my lip and smiling from all the awesomeness that is thrown my way every second.

If you like The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica, or Mass Effect, you cannot afford to miss out on Infinite Warfare.

So... What's so cool about Infinite Warfare ?

The world design

For a sci fi and space settings lover like me, every moment is a treat. The designers and artists had a field day on this game. Every weapon, machine, robot, spaceship (more on the Jackal below), and interior shows a great attention to detail, and I often find myself walking around examinig every nook and cranny trying to notice tiny details that I would miss if I followed the game's frantic pace. A lot of the designs "make sense", you could very well imagine this kind of tech in the far future. For example, the game has a VR training room where you can test your weapon loadout before missions.You can often see an NPC crew member using it, and she is holding a fake rifle that changes its shape to match the weapon it's simulating, and features a part in the front that moves back and forth to emulate recoil. The game is full of little elements like this you can easily miss.

Iw7-ship-2021-08-14-20-25-05.png

The view from the bridge of your ship

The "Jackal" space fighter

call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-e3-gameplay-trailer-0.gif

As a military aviation fan, I must give a special shoutout to the Jackal, the spaceworthy jet fighter you get to fly on a lot of missions. Take the F-35 and make it 100% more F-35, then make it more futuristic and capable of space flight. As unrealistic as the Jackal may really be, it remains very believable within the context of the game, taking a lot of details from modern jets and the F-35 in particular, such as stealthy design (both general outline and close details like the beehive shape of the various trapdoors), internal weapon bays, VTOL fan, and adds many futuristic elements such as the throttle handle turning into a second stick when hovering, or the in-flight weapon refill drone.
Yeah I'm totally nerding out, but it really is a very well thought out craft.
A lot of missions begin or end with you launching from your carrier (think Vipers launching from the Battlestar Galactica) and landing back on it. The dogfight sections feel like a 360° fps with aim assist that put you in some kind of pursuit mode that looks and feels awesome.

Iw7-ship-2021-08-14-20-18-10.png

The space F-35 in all its glory (and in the background, your carrier)

Dialogue and characters

Dialogue is very well written, often witty and funny. A couple of random quotes that made me chuckle (both from the same character) :
"Don't call me 'sir', I work for a living"
"Only the navy could make a boat designed to sink"
(talking about submarines)

There are many more like this, and they often contribute to characterize the character saying them. The game's cast is well developped for such a short game (very solid actor re-creation and animation by the way), the characters have their personalities, likes and dislikes. The standout character is, ironically, a humanoid robot that follows you throughout the game. He is very witty and fits in fantastically with the crew and the main character.

Iw7-ship-2021-08-14-19-20-15.png

On the left, your robot BFF Ethan

The gameplay and weapons

15560.gif

The grappling hook in action

Of course the game is still a fast pace FPS above all else. I don't usually play FPS, but IW has a LOT to like :
- Mobility features such as jump boosters, wall running, and (zero G only) a grappling hook,
- Gun customization
- Guns with special secondary modes.
Let me elaborate a bit on that last one, because it's one of the most fun aspects for me. A lot of guns have a toggle function that changes their behavior, making them more versatile, and all come with very snappy and cool animations. Again, this game is a designer/engineer's wet dream. You have an assault rifle that splits into guns, an SMG that can double as a shotgun... lots of very cool stuff.

Iw7-ship-2021-08-14-19-52-25.png

Push the front grip forward on this SMG and it becomes an assault rifle. Also, here is a cool mech.

The campaign and missions

L92GlX.gif

This guy played too much Dark Souls

At times the game feels like a mini Mass Effect. You command a carrier where you can walk around a bit between missions (including your quarters with a computer) and have a solar system map where you can pick your main and secondary missions. Each area and celestial body on the map has a description very reminiscent of what you can read on Mass Effect's galaxy map. When you walk towards your shuttle for the next mission, there is always something interesting happening somewhere as you walk by, NPCs talking, techs working, soldiers prepping. You feel like you're in the middle of a blockbuster movie.
IW makes very creative use of its setting, taking advantage of zero G or its futuristic tech to create interesting situations. The missions are very varied, mixing intense action moments, more stealthy (but not annoying) segments, jet fighter dogfights, and zero-G gameplay with a grappling hook. The optional secondary missions often have a unique gimmick, for example one has you hack into a ship's camera system, and lets you see enemy soldiers' silhouettes through walls.
I suspect this is standard fare in CoD, but Infinite Warfare is absolutely chock full of "wow" moments that you will remember long after you put down the controller. Between breathtaking sci-fi panoramas, larger than life ship crashes and explosions, shit happening everywhere around you, every mission is a thrill. The game has no low point and is pure entertainment throughout.

Iw7-ship-2021-08-14-19-25-22.png

I have the exact same view from my apartment

If you've been sitting on this game because you're not interested in FPS or CoD, do yourself a favor and give it a try. I wish it could be 3 times longer, but it being short means I can find the time to replay it once in a while. And on this third playthrough, I'm still enjoying it just as much as the first time, and savoring every moment. Infinite Warfare is truly one of my all time favourite games.

Screenshots are mine (added film grain through Reshade, sorry if you don't like it), the GIFs I found online

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best campaign they ever did, even better than COD4 it just wasn't as revolutionary as that game had been.

Its awful we will never get a sequel.
Just imagine a sequel with Admiral Salter leading multiple ships with E3N.2 as her 2nd in command.

More optional side missions and this time they have an effect on the story like Black Ops 2

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think that both Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare did good things with the campaigns. MW1 and 2, WaW will always be peak prime COD for me and the best it ever was ... but AW and IW were great campaigns.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not all that into the Call of Duty campaigns normally, but Infinite Warfare is easily the best I've ever played. It's the only time in any CoD where I felt compelled to do all of the optional side missions.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Never played it and likely never will but it's e3 reveal was great. I was like what the fuck is this and then I heard the hit markers hahah

BotFixer

Mar 16, 2021
I really liked the campaign. Everybody dismissed it because CoD was going to space but looking back on it, many seems to agree that it was judged too harshly. Maybe if COD wasn't attached to the name and perhaps infinity ward was under a different publisher the game would've been heavily accepted.

Waters

Mar 17, 2018
I play COD for the SP only too... Found the IW campaign very good, and the same about Advanced Warfare. Played both recently. Havent played a COD for years

For my money it's the best COD campaign and one of the best single player FPS campaigns of all time. The setting is remarkably developed and it has truly impressive mechanical design for everything in its universe - it hardly seems like a product off the Call of Duty assembly line.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This was the game they should have brought spec ops back for. Imagine doing missions on different ships throughout the solar system.

Nintendad

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 27, 2021
Great campaign. The only Call of Duty campaign I've played that doesn't feel completely on-rails. It's a shame the Titanfall 2 campaign is the only one from that period that gets revered as I think this is just as good.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
I really want to buy Inifinite Warfare for its campaign, but the pricing of Call of Duty's legacy titles on steam is just outrageous.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome and I loved it. I felt it was like the Mass Effect 4 I always wanted.

Jun 17, 2018
Easily the best CoD campaign for me. It was a massive surprise too because from what I remember almost everyone was dumping all over it. Multiplayer wasn't great but damn that SP campaign was really special.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, after Ghosts and Advanced Warfare (although I think that was Sledgehammer) it's a miracle this studio managed to pull off a decent campaign

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
This game was crazily underrated. I bought day1, and loved the campaign .

"Honor was all mine METAL-1"

2016 was the worst year for "Robots" (Ethan, BT-7274)

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this campaign and immediately watching The Expanse Season 1 was one of my highlights of the last decade, let alone 2016.

5 years later I've now seen up to The Expanse's Season 5, but an Infinite Warfare sequel has yet to be found :(

Haven't replayed it yet. Had the misfortune of playing it on my 670 with all graphics maxed out and textures forced to very low by the game's engine, but I bought it on my Xbox One X back in 2018 and didn't go beyond the first mission. It's been long enough, I will rediscover most of it like it's the first time.

Even in 2021 I think I'd rank it up there with the greatest.

Oct 27, 2017
I've warmed to it significantly over the years. I didn't like the setting at first but it's amazing how much world and impeccable design they managed to fit into the normal campaign runtime. I wish we got more of it, it would be a worthy successor series compared to some of their other attempts.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only one I played through twice, not cunting MW remasters.

So yeah, I agree.
I made sure to do and see everything the second time around, not wanting to miss anything.

OP
OP
Zephy

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
should have been spun off into it's own series

This would have been fantastic.

Great campaign. The only Call of Duty campaign I've played that doesn't feel completely on-rails. It's a shame the Titanfall 2 campaign is the only one from that period that gets revered as I think this is just as good.

I keep hearing praise about Titanfall 2, the two came around almost at the same time and I think TF2 stole IW's thrunder. Unfairly in my opinion, I played TF2's campaign and really didn't enjoy it at all. I place IW's campaign far above it.

I really want to buy Inifinite Warfare for its campaign, but the pricing of Call of Duty's legacy titles on steam is just outrageous.

If you have a PS4 or PS5, I remember seeing the game for like 5€ new a long time ago. It's dirt cheap.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It came out a week after Titanfall 2. A different approach with different strengths but it was all the more impressive for holding its own against the campaign that had just been awarded GOAT status by many.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
What a year for SP shooters between Doom/TF2/IW. I think that with hindsight IW is the best of the three. The character writing is just so damn sharp, particularly for a game in the AAA space. Ethan is the best.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Advanced (to a lesser degree) and Infinite both had great campaigns. It's a shame the series got cold feet with the future setting.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Still the best campaign in the series, 2014-2017 era COD was such a weird time concerning campaign, so much experimentation that they cut out in later entries due to the negative feedback of IW and BO3 (Concerning MP not SP).
Even WWII experimented with that one mission walking around with stealthing in that mansion, still the most memorable mission in the game because it was unexpected considering the pace of the rest of the game.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
This, Titanfall 2 and Doom all the same year? As definitely surprised how much I liked it. Hopefully we get one as good this gen.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I played all the CoD's up to this one and while the rest had that kind of blockbuster movie style campaign that's played and forgotten, this one… was damn good! It was a shame no one I knew played it, they jumped into multiplayer, determined it sucked after a few hours, and deleted it for good.