• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People say, new "game" all the time even if it does have a different name. I say new COD all the time.

I think your reasoning only does apply for people that talk how they post on forums or something.

The only way in which this new name makes sense is from a marketing one, and that's only if you believe people are so stupid as to get confused over a game being called CoD:MW4

If you do believe that, and also believe people won't get confused by CoD:MW coming out in 2019, 3 years after CoD:MW Remastered came out, and 12 years after CoD4:MW came out, then I don't know what to tell you

It's aggressively uncreative and gives anyone talking about video games in the future a headache

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I don't find this weird or confusing at all personally, I'm kind of surprised by the reactions. I mean at this point we've seen countless reboots that ditch the standard sequel naming conventions and just goes back to the roots. We can just refer to it as Modern Warfare 2019, which will only be confusing when the 2019th installment of the Modern Warfare series (another soft reboot?) releases in a few centuries
The fact we found a workaround for X and everyone does X doesn't make X acceptable. They could bake in the number like FIFA does if that was what they wanted.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Person 1: Wanna play some Call of Duty?
Person 2: Call of Duty 2?
Person 1: No, the new one.
Person 2: Oh, Call of Duty 3 on Wii? Did that even have multiplayer?
Person 1: No, the newest ONE
Person 2: Call of Duty Big Red One?
Person 1: Modern Warfare!
Person 2: You mean the remaster?
Person 1: FFS, lets just play Overwatch.
Person 2: Paladins?

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Would be confusing as hell with the various sub franchises such as Modern Warfare and Black Ops. You'd have CoD 2024, a sequel to 2021 yet it has nothing to do with 2022 and 2023.
Just make each game have a new story. At this point CoD should be a service anyways, not a new experience every year. Just run it like Fortnite. Constant updates.

Put out a campaign DLC for $30 each year along-side the ongoing service, if you must.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This thread prompted me to look up what the MW remaster is going for...that shit is still $40!!

Would love to replay that game, but get the fuck out of here charging 40 bucks for a 12-year-old, six-hour-long game.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This thread prompted me to look up what the MW remaster is going for...that shit is still $40!!

Would love to replay that game, but get the fuck out of here charging 40 bucks for a 12-year-old, six-hour-long game.
Activision for some reason always keeps prices on old Call of Duty games and DLC quite high. MW2's DLCs are still €13,59 in Europe.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I have always called the original MW, CoD 4 so it's not too confusing. Still the most annoying trend in the games industry. I simply can't stand different games with the same name.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
So what at the title? I'm confused by the "outrage". Who cares? I don't see how the masses could be confused. As some have mentioned, GoW hasn't suffered because of it's title and COD is a MASSIVE franchise. So again, so what?

It's not really outrage. It's just incredulity at Call of Duty's bizarre naming conventions.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Which one is the sequel?

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really outrage. It's just incredulity at Call of Duty's bizarre naming conventions.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Which one is the sequel?

Incredulity, is the better word, lol. Damn me and my hyperbole! It's been YEARS since the last modern warfare. I don't think they'll be even a hint of confusion. This is coming from someone who only plays the COD games (or any game) for the single player experience, lol.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Activision for some reason always keeps prices on old Call of Duty games and DLC quite high. MW2's DLCs are still €13,59 in Europe.
They take the Nintendo approach. They believe that allowing their titles to have a massive price drops would devalue their product. This approach also encourages day one purchases with the thought being what's the point in waiting a 1 or 2 to save $15? I can honestly say that this strategy works on me. Publishers like Ubisoft, 2K, and Bethesda have taught me that if I wait a few months, I can likely get the game in the $20-30. Nintendo has taught me that there is no point in waiting cause this shit ain't dropping for a few years at least.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They take the Nintendo approach. They believe that allowing their titles to have a massive price drops would devalue their product. This approach also encourages day one purchases with the thought being what's the point in waiting a 1 or 2 to save $15? I can honestly say that this strategy works on me. Publishers like Ubisoft, 2K, and Bethesda have taught me that if I wait a few months, I can likely get the game in the $20-30. Nintendo has taught me that there is no point in waiting cause this shit ain't dropping for a few years at least.

In the UK CoD would always end up in second hand shops (Game and CEX) on mass, so you can generally pick up last years game for a few quid, and older CoD titles for even less

I only ever play SP CoD campaigns and I've never bought a game new, or on a sale, because I can get them for under a fiver at CEX if I wait a year

If they had sales, maybe I would buy from them, and actually give them some money

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Incredulity, is the better word, lol. Damn me and my hyperbole! It's been YEARS since the last modern warfare. I don't think they'll be even a hint of confusion. This is coming from someone who only plays the COD games (or any game) for the single player experience, lol.
Not sure why some people take the thing as a personal insult. What's wrong to be confuse or ironic about it? :/

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way in which this new name makes sense is from a marketing one, and that's only if you believe people are so stupid as to get confused over a game being called CoD:MW4

If you do believe that, and also believe people won't get confused by CoD:MW coming out in 2019, 3 years after CoD:MW Remastered came out, and 12 years after CoD4:MW came out, then I don't know what to tell you

It's aggressively uncreative and gives anyone talking about video games in the future a headache
I'm sorry but like everybody else thinking like that, yall thinking way too hard. Unecessary worrying lol

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the one that's not 12 years old of course.

I mean, yeah, I lost track of the titles five games ago, so it's pretty much just "Call of Duty" to me anyway.

They could call it Call of Duty 76 and it wouldn't faze me.

God of War
God of War

WhIcH OnE iS tHe SeQuEl?

Not the same. Modern Warfare 4 is called Modern Warfare, and Modern Warfare 1 is called 4: Modern Warfare. It's bizarre. Like Battlefield bizarre.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sorry but like everybody else thinking like that, yall thinking way too hard. Unecessary worrying lol

It's an enthusiast forum, this is where this kind of debate can take place

It's fine to be fine with it, but it's still dumb, just like it would be dumb if the next Star Wars film was called Star Wars Episode 10: The Phantom Menace

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Modern Warefare has you trying to rig elections with facebook proganda and fake news.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first one was called Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
This one is called Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Big difference. LOL.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
We're halfway through the cycle

Prophecy as game title

And the Fouth shall be Called Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Why? I'm genuinely curious because I have only seen the series get worse and worse with nothing but the battle royale mode to redeem it.

Infinite Warfare is legit some of the best single player the series has put out, top 3 right alongside MW1 and Black Ops. Big Lops 4 is a balancing fuckhouse but it's the strongest MP the series has been since 2.

And I'm sorry but Ghosts was great

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Right lol. Like somebody gonna go in the store in release date and the gamestop dude give them cod 4

Yeah, so why did it need to have a name that is almost exactly the same as another entry in the series?

They could have called it anything else and no one would be confused, so if no one is going to be confused anyway, where is the logic in using a name that on paper looks like it might be the same game as another?

Why not call every CoD game from 2019 onward "CoD:MW"?

Why not call every Assassin's Creed game, "Assassin's Creed", or every Zelda, "Zelda"

It's not like someone will walk into Gamestop and ask for Zelda and be handed Skyward Sword

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is always what happens when the Sequel numbers get to high

Gran Turismo 7 Sport
God of War 5
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Underground
Halo 6 Infinite
Guitar Hero IV World Tour

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Wow why do you guys care so much? lol whenever I wanna play the new CoD I don't even think about the name it's like hey guys let's jump on CoD.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's more than just a reboot of the MW canon.

Needs to be a reboot of the game design as well for me to give this the time of day. We're on over a decade of CoD4's formula at this point and a new game is going to have to do something truly new.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, so why did it need to have a name that is almost exactly the same as another entry in the series?

They could have called it anything else and no one would be confused, so if no one is going to be confused anyway, where is the logic in using a name that on paper looks like it might be the same game as another?

Why not call every CoD game from 2019 onward "CoD:MW"?

Why not call every Assassin's Creed game, "Assassin's Creed", or every Zelda, "Zelda"

It's not like someone will walk into Gamestop and ask for Zelda and be handed Skyward Sword
I mean, it's a soft-reboot like God of War....

I dont like it, but I don't see how it's any different.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, it's a soft-reboot like God of War....

I dont like it, but I don't see how it's any different.

It's an order of magnitude sillier because it's a reboot of a subtitle, but it was lame when God of War did it too, more so as it continued the story from 3

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter, but it's still a really bad name for the game, and shows a complete lack of ambition or creativity from the publisher

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
DOOM
TOMB RAIDER
STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT
STRIDER
PRINCE OF PERSIA
SHADOW OF THE BEAST
HITMAN
DEVIL MAY CRY